Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Swisdom said:
    Ok so if we all want a striker how about we put forward some sensible suggestions.  And i dont mean Stockton.

realistic, affordable and suited to our playing style.  Name please.  
    I want a striker/front three who can interchange positions and be comfortable playing out wide or in the centre. Think it makes it really difficult for defenders to pick up players if your ‘striker, can drift out wide, whilst a wide player comes central.

So I’d have as Scott Twine on loan if it was possible.
    Be gobsmacked if Burnley even took a call to discuss a Twine loan 
  • Swisdom said:
    Ok so if we all want a striker how about we put forward some sensible suggestions.  And i dont mean Stockton.

realistic, affordable and suited to our playing style.  Name please.  
    I want a striker/front three who can interchange positions and be comfortable playing out wide or in the centre. Think it makes it really difficult for defenders to pick up players if your ‘striker, can drift out wide, whilst a wide player comes central.

So I’d have as Scott Twine on loan if it was possible.
    Be gobsmacked if Burnley even took a call to discuss a Twine loan 
    Same just noticed he’s only played 20 minutes and not be in the squad for the rest of the games. 

Transfermarkt had him down as ‘not in squad’, but apparently he is actually injured.

Thats a shame. 
  • Smithy said:
    My take away from the last 4 pages of this thread is that you are all virgins.
    Admin

Please give this a promote
  • Scoham said:
    Can someone narrow down this list to exclude anyone over the age of 25, under 6 ft and slow?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-two/top-scorers

I believe Courtney Baker-Richardson was on trial with us a couple of years back , think he played against Palace?  
  • Frazier Campbell is available...
    Was a good player.

Don't know if he still is.

But a centre back has to be a priority*

* in case anyone doesn't get it saying we need a centre back as a priority is a mild leg pull of those repeating ad nauseum that we need a striker.

Of course another striker would be great, as would another defender. Everyone can see that, no one is saying it isn't.

Just some of us are phlegmatic about these things and others are less so.

Que sera, sera
    Whatever will be, will be
    The future's not ours to see
    Sign a centre back-ee
    In short, a striker is what’s wanted most, but a defender is what’s needed most.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Can someone narrow down this list to exclude anyone over the age of 25, under 6 ft and slow?

Brandon Thomas-Asante is 5 foot 11 so close enough.
    Thought he was joining Barnsley? 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Scoham said:

I believe Courtney Baker-Richardson was on trial with us a couple of years back , think he played against Palace?  
    Yeah he did - Wasnt overly impressive, looking on Wiki he only joined Crewe this summer

Didnt realise he was that old either, presumed when he was on trial with us, that he was a Swansea Youth Player who'd been released, rather than someone who'd previously had a good career in Non-League.
  • edited August 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:
    no need for no need for the ‘muppets’ Douchy. 
    lets settle on clueless then 
    Point to me posts where more than one person has said they're happy with the Strikers we have available? - Seems the voices in your head are telling you something that isnt true
    can't be bothered - there are some though, trust me - in fact, you can have a look yourself 
    Haha of course not... I'm not the one who needs to backup calling people names
    if there aren't any, i haven't upset anybody have i? not sure why you're getting so touchy?
    Hahah “Muppets!  Clueless!  You’re the touchy one” 
    nope - i'm just stating a fact - why comment on it if you aren't touchy about it ? 
    I'm not touchy about it... I just think its pretty pathetic

I mean what are you... Someone in their 40s / 50s, perhaps have kids of your own, and your acting like an absolute idiot running around calling people names like your on the school playground - When you then get challenged to find proof into what your accusing you suddenly cant be bothered.

All because you cant agree with a differing opinion either
    think what you like, touchy 
    Isn’t that entire reason for you moaning?  People thinking what they like. 
    possibly - people that are clueless about football shouldn't really be allowed to think and post what they like, which is why the register will be useful
    You’ve now fully wet the bed, I’ve seen some meltdowns over silly things on here but this is up there.

Also, didn’t Garner state that we’re after a centre back, I guess he agrees with us clueless mob…
    if we don't sign a striker, garner will be going on it don't you worry 
    No, he really won’t.
  • Smithy said:
    My take away from the last 4 pages of this thread is that you are all virgins.
    Hey that's unfair.  What about a finger, that counts don't it?

Well don't it?
  • Swisdom said:
    Hal1x said:
    Chunes said:
    Perhaps it's the stats that are driving the club to look at a CB before a striker. 

Attacking stats: 

5th in the league for goals per match.

3rd in the league for expected goals. 

6th in the league for shots on target per match.

Defensive stats:

8th for xG conceded (1st being worse).

10th for saves per match. 

17th for clean sheets.

Some interesting unrelated stats. We're 2nd in the league for accurate long balls, behind only Fleetwood. And we're 23rd for possession won in final 3rd per match (so much for the press).
    Whats an expected goal?
    It’s a pointless stat that’s all the rage nowadays
    It's not a pointless stat. It sounds like a pointless stat because of its name but it's a good way of identifying the quality of chances created, and with that the quality of your players in front of goal. It can also let you know if you're creating chances and just not taking them or if you're actually rubbish. Is the problem your strikers or is it your entire build-up? It provides you with more detail about your chances than just on/off target; did you have 10 shots on target but they were all 60 yard dribblers that the keeper stopped with a toe? Did you have 8 shots off target that were from a yard out and somehow put over the bar? Is your striker missing golden opportunities or are the chances he's being supplied with incredibly difficult for a player to convert? Looking at a striker who scored 20 goals last season but not sure if he'll do it for your team? Look at his xG; if it's 19.99 it might indicate that he was having almost unmissable chances created for him by his teammates, so maybe he's not so much a brilliant striker as playing in a brilliantly creative team. All useful information that can be gleaned from xG. It's not the be all and end all but it's certainly not pointless
    If a striker is scoring 20 goals from around 20xG that is usually an indicator that they are performing how you would expect so a signing that isn’t a risk. Where xG is useful for striker signings is if a player scores 30 goals from 20xG then it is likely that it was a one off fluke season (Nicky Ajose) and they are very unlikely to repeat if you sign them. Unless of course it is Lewandowski, Kane, Son etc who overshoot their xG season after season then it’s just because of how good they are. If a player at this level overperforms their xG then it is probably luck rather than them being a great finisher unless they are doing it year after year. Telford at Newport last season is the perfect recent example, and I saw a few mentioning him as a potential signing. He scored 0.68 goals per 90 mins from an xG of just 0.40. So unless he is as good as the best players in the world at finishing (he’s not) it’s more likely to be a fluke than something he will repeat. I’m not surprised no one in league 1 wanted to sign him and he’s not scored yet in league 2 this season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can you "officially" pull out of a race to sign a player?

And this was a deal the reporter said was done.

• Scoham said:
    Not good if true, but could be due to other clubs being in for him. Have doubts about Ryan Whelan but even if his source is reliable it might not be the full picture.
    "Representatives for Alex are now looking at alternative destinations with MK Dons also interested. However Charlton are unlikely to allow the midfielder to leave to a side they see as a potential rival to promotion."

That statement seems like nonsense, especially when there are a dozen teams in L1 with a genuine chance of promotion
  • Scoham said:
    Not good if true, but could be due to other clubs being in for him. Have doubts about Ryan Whelan but even if his source is reliable it might not be the full picture.
    "Representatives for Alex are now looking at alternative destinations with MK Dons also interested. However Charlton are unlikely to allow the midfielder to leave to a side they see as a potential rival to promotion."

That statement seems like nonsense, especially when there are a dozen teams in L1 with a genuine chance of promotion
    Is there anyone that isn't a promotion rival that's likely to pay a fee for anyone?
  • Scoham said:

Yes but anyone who does sign and intends to start Gilbey to spearhead their promotion charge won’t be deemed a promotion rival.  
  • Scoham said:

Personally off this list I'd like us to go for someone like Charlie Kelman. Young, direct, fast, good link up and good shot on him. Fails the height test, but not bad at 5 ft 9, bring on to cause panic in tired defences once Stockley's battered them, or starting where we're playing counter attack. 
  • Scoham said:

Lincoln will probably find it a bit presumptuous too!
  • I have a giant "MEH!" shaped balloon all ready for the window shutting, anyone else made any special arrangements?
    Going to trawl through this thread & find my posts in late June/early July where I said that we were slow in getting players in & that I would be proved right yet again when we fail to assemble a squad good enough for promotion. 

Shall we see where we are in May before deciding our season is over in August?!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I have a giant "MEH!" shaped balloon all ready for the window shutting, anyone else made any special arrangements?
    Going to trawl through this thread & find my posts in late June/early July where I said that we were slow in getting players in & that I would be proved right yet again when we fail to assemble a squad good enough for promotion. 

Shall we see where we are in May before deciding our season is over in August?!
    Crazy idea won’t catch on
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Point to me posts where more than one person has said they're happy with the Strikers we have available? - Seems the voices in your head are telling you something that isnt true
    can't be bothered - there are some though, trust me - in fact, you can have a look yourself 
    if there aren't any, i haven't upset anybody have i? not sure why you're getting so touchy?
    nope - i'm just stating a fact - why comment on it if you aren't touchy about it ? 

I mean what are you... Someone in their 40s / 50s, perhaps have kids of your own, and your acting like an absolute idiot running around calling people names like your on the school playground - When you then get challenged to find proof into what your accusing you suddenly cant be bothered.

possibly - people that are clueless about football shouldn't really be allowed to think and post what they like, which is why the register will be useful
    You’ve now fully wet the bed, I’ve seen some meltdowns over silly things on here but this is up there.

Also, didn’t Garner state that we’re after a centre back, I guess he agrees with us clueless mob…
    We are not signing a striker …. Let’s get that out of peoples heads .. we will sign a wide forward who can play across the three 
  • Scoham said:

Think it was more Gilbey did not want to move there 
  • DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:

We are not signing a striker …. Let’s get that out of peoples heads .. we will sign a wide forward who can play across the three 
    Thanks for the heads up Ron. At least we know now ;-)
  • edited August 2022
    Might mean Lincoln dont need DJ
  • edited August 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    JamesSeed said:

🙄
  • Frazier Campbell is available...
    Was a good player.

Don't know if he still is.

But a centre back has to be a priority*

* in case anyone doesn't get it saying we need a centre back as a priority is a mild leg pull of those repeating ad nauseum that we need a striker.

Of course another striker would be great, as would another defender. Everyone can see that, no one is saying it isn't.

Just some of us are phlegmatic about these things and others are less so.

Que sera, sera
    Whatever will be, will be
    The future's not ours to see
    Sign a centre back-ee
    In short, a striker is what’s wanted most, but a defender is what’s needed most.  
    You and Irving are top of the offenders register don’t worry about that - be in bold just above garner if it don’t happen 
  • Sorry but that does show how ridiculous xG is.

I mean its great we're creating so many opportunities etc. and just need to take them.

But Burton Albion are third on that list and bottom of the whole table.