Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• I don't think many refs would give a penalty for that though. Not the ones we get at this level. I think it was one, but Stockley was blocking the keeper off. The question was whether he was obstructing him unfairly, but I don't think he was so the keeper effectively went through him as you say and a defender couldn't do that so why can a keeper? But the fact you can ask the question means most refs will take the easy way out which I do understand.
    I don’t think most refs would give a penalty either, but giving them a FK was taking the piss. I think most refs would have given us the corner.
  • Simonsen said:
    Stockley and McLeary would make a dangerous pairing for Wycombe. 
    exactly right - which is why if we can't afford to bring in another striker, the logical solution this summer has been to offload stockley and replace him 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Simonsen said:
    exactly right - which is why if we can't afford to bring in another striker, the logical solution this summer has been to offload stockley and replace him 

But we’re not going to play with two strikers in a 4-4-2
  • Rothko said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Simonsen said:

i know which is why we need to replace him if we can't afford to have him sitting on the bench as a bit part  
  • DOUCHER said:
    Rothko said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Simonsen said:

i know which is why we need to replace him if we can't afford to have him sitting on the bench as a bit part  
    Rather the money went on someone who would probably take Kirk’s place, and then I’m happy with that 3, but someone mobile enough to be central if/when Stockley is out. And that’s not McLeary
  • Rothko said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Rothko said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Simonsen said:

Rather the money went on someone who would probably take Kirk’s place, and then I’m happy with that 3, but someone mobile enough to be central if/when Stockley is out. And that’s not McLeary
    you're misunderstanding - stockley would suit wycombe's system, i didn't say i wanted us to sign mcleary - just that stockley would have a value in a different system, like wycombes for instance  
  • edited August 2022
    I get the impression that no one is overly "unsellable" this summer.

If an offer comes in for anyone in this squad, that Sandgaard agrees with, then I think they'll be off.
    He will let Garner decide .. 
    His message to Garner will probably be... "Let me sell X player for Y amount, you can have two players from that"
    The other way round probs. Garner wants his own players in
  • Garner’s said any player could go if the right offer comes in. I wonder if he’d be happy for Stockley to be sold if it meant we signed a replacement more suited to the system. It’s so obvious a quicker striker would make a big difference - Garner will be aware but he’s never going to say it in public.

He’s mentioned they have lists of potential signings for each position, there’s no chance the strikers are traditional target men like Stockley. At Swindon he had Simpson and then Davison, both more like Leaburn physically in that they have height, pace and strength.
  • It was pretty obvious we should have moved Stockley on months ago. Selling him in the next couple of days would pretty much guarantee that we have to pay well over the odds for replacements because everyone will know how desperate we are.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    Garner’s said any player could go if the right offer comes in. I wonder if he’d be happy for Stockley to be sold if it meant we signed a replacement more suited to the system. It’s so obvious a quicker striker would make a big difference - Garner will be aware but he’s never going to say it in public.

He’s mentioned they have lists of potential signings for each position, there’s no chance the strikers are traditional target men like Stockley. At Swindon he had Simpson and then Davison, both more like Leaburn physically in that they have height, pace and strength.
    It isn't going to happen with five days to go. We would need to sell Stockley for a decent amount and target two useful replacements. And then get them when the selling club knows we are desperate. Better IMO to hope to lose a couple of midfielders and offer £250k for Stockton. Yes a risk, but we are late in the window and it could pay off.
  • That’ll do Donkey, that’ll do…

Door will probably knock him over on the way out!

• As much as selling Stockley at the start of the window may have been sensible, selling him now would be madness. 

Trying to sign 1 quality forward that would fit our system at this stage is difficult, 2 would be impossible.

Our best hope is that we pick up a back-up and that Stockley adapts to Garners style of play. Obviously there are limitations in terms of mobility but he isn't the donkey some would make out imo.
  • Which is why another striker is crucial, just no goals in Stockley, don’t quote last season that isn’t now.
  • Leuth said:

👀
    Not sure what point you’re trying to make here. Plenty weren’t convinced about Stockley back in March. 
  • Every day is a work day for big Steve Gallen.

I’m sure he’ll be out today running a final eye over our top transfer targets whilst negotiating the image rights and hat trick bonus for our next big free transfer.

He’s probably on the way to Swindon right now!
    Strangely enough, Steve Gallen was at Beaconsfield services, where he said hello to Mrs Airman, at 2pm yesterday.
  • Smithy said:
    It was pretty obvious we should have moved Stockley on months ago. Selling him in the next couple of days would pretty much guarantee that we have to pay well over the odds for replacements because everyone will know how desperate we are.
    yes but we have to find a willing buyer and a buyer that he wants to move to - we can't afford to have him sitting on the bench 
  • After the last couple of games I’m now worrying that we not only need a new striker, CB and possibly LB, but also a midfielder. Only Dobbo has played with any conviction, and although Morgan started the season well his performances are tailing off alarmingly. 
    Fraser and Payne haven’t quite stepped up, and give the ball away too often, and both are a bit lightweight. JFC and Gilbey have been sidelined, so that leaves Henry, another lightweight, although one with potential at least. McGrandles we haven’t seen enough of. We’ve been after a dominant midfield playmaker for years, but haven’t had one since Gallagher. Or a box to box type maybe. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    After the last couple of games I’m now worrying that we not only need a new striker, CB and possibly LB, but also a midfielder. Only Dobbo has played with any conviction, and although Morgan started the season well his performances are tailing off alarmingly. 
    Fraser and Payne haven’t quite stepped up, and give the ball away too often, and both are a bit lightweight. JFC and Gilbey have been sidelined, so that leaves Henry, another lightweight, although one with potential at least. McGrandles we haven’t seen enough of. We’ve been after a dominant midfield playmaker for years, but haven’t had one since Gallagher. Or a box to box type maybe. 
    i think mgrandles will come to the fore soon and replace morgan - that will help fraser and a new striker will help everybody 
  • JamesSeed said:
    After the last couple of games I’m now worrying that we not only need a new striker, CB and possibly LB, but also a midfielder. Only Dobbo has played with any conviction, and although Morgan started the season well his performances are tailing off alarmingly. 
    A quicker striker would open up space for the midfield and give them another player they can pick out with through balls. Teams can push higher up knowing Stockley won’t catch them out by running in behind. The midfield don’t have that out ball, we’re relying on our wide forwards to do that and that doesn’t work when they need to track back. The right striker would improve this team a lot.
  • edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    A quicker striker would open up space for the midfield and give them another player they can pick out with through balls. Teams can push higher up knowing Stockley won’t catch them out by running in behind. The midfield don’t have that out ball, we’re relying on our wide forwards to do that and that doesn’t work when they need to track back. The right striker would improve this team a lot.
    100% 👍🏻
    He’s the one letting the system down, and Innis but he’s out a while now
  • Leuth said:

👀
    Except that was back with a different manager, playing a different system and style, and Stockley being used in a different way. So trying to build a team around him then is not comparable to trying it now. 

• If Garner wants to sell Stockley why would he make him captain. He must see him as first choice otherwise he’d make a midfielder or defender captain. I agree we need a better striker better suited to the system but I think we’ve got to prepare ourselves for another back up striker at best. 
  • DRAddick said:
    Leuth said:

👀
    Except that was back with a different manager, playing a different system and style, and Stockley being used in a different way. So trying to build a team around him then is not comparable to trying it now. 

I didn't think Jackson would still be in charge. Sandgaard always said he wanted us to play possession football
  • JamesSeed said:
    Fraser been excellent was mom yesterday … 
    payne a good player but yet had a real chance to show it coming into games late 
  • There is absolutely zero chance of us selling Stockley in this window. He’s settled here and won’t be getting the same contract elsewhere
  • I actually think the system needs a bit of tweaking. Pumping the ball to Stockley’s head is only of use in a front three if you have lightening quick wingers with a strong scoring record. I think Kirk offers a lot, particularly technically, but he is not going to get onto any flicks and JR-S could but there is a 25% chance or less it may land his side.

Surely Garner should be coaching them not to land it on his head unless it is a crossed ball and rather have Stockley back to goal holding the ball up to give the midfield and wings the opportunity to collectively press in attack? Sounds simple but this is what is missing for me atm. Stockley tries to pass it too quickly, wins a header to nobody or loses header/possession atm.