Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    JamesSeed said:
    After the last couple of games I’m now worrying that we not only need a new striker, CB and possibly LB, but also a midfielder. Only Dobbo has played with any conviction, and although Morgan started the season well his performances are tailing off alarmingly. 
    Fraser and Payne haven’t quite stepped up, and give the ball away too often, and both are a bit lightweight. JFC and Gilbey have been sidelined, so that leaves Henry, another lightweight, although one with potential at least. McGrandles we haven’t seen enough of. We’ve been after a dominant midfield playmaker for years, but haven’t had one since Gallagher. Or a box to box type maybe. 
    A quicker striker would open up space for the midfield and give them another player they can pick out with through balls. Teams can push higher up knowing Stockley won’t catch them out by running in behind. The midfield don’t have that out ball, we’re relying on our wide forwards to do that and that doesn’t work when they need to track back. The right striker would improve this team a lot.
    That’s exactly what I said in one of my earlier posts 👍. 
    But will we get this new striker? 
  • edited August 2022
    Fabrizio Romano basically confirmed it about a week ago...

When he tweets he basically gives bullshit accounts like the above an excuse to start repeating it

• Redrobo said:
    Same here.
    Of all the players we have been linked with this summer he is the one who would have made the difference. 
  • edited August 2022
  • From a Facebook group post.

• Scoham said:
    From a Facebook group post.

Steve's a reliable source too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I see someone mention his name not do long ago 
  • Every day is a work day for big Steve Gallen.

I’m sure he’ll be out today running a final eye over our top transfer targets whilst negotiating the image rights and hat trick bonus for our next big free transfer.

He’s probably on the way to Swindon right now!
    Strangely enough, Steve Gallen was at Beaconsfield services, where he said hello to Mrs Airman, at 2pm yesterday.
    Which way was be heading?
  • TEL said:
    Scoham said:

Steve's a reliable source too. 
    If that is the reason, looks like a really disingenuous move on the part of the club when terms were negotiated. JFC has every right to be very p*ssed off and looks like the renewal was a waste of all parties’ time.
  • Scoham said:

That does add up with him not even making the bench yet when Gilbey and Henry have done ahead of him. On the GK issue I think if we can find a taker for CMac then we should get rid and use an emergency loan for the games Wollacott is away if possible. If that’s not an option then I can see why they will want to keep him as cover 
  • There is absolutely zero chance of us selling Stockley in this window. He’s settled here and won’t be getting the same contract elsewhere
    This x 1000.

Whatever we do to get a striker in it wont be by selling Stockley to fund it. 
  • The next 3 days are going to be interesting. Based on what we have in the squad just now I honestly don't see us being in the top six at the end of the season. That and the ticket pricing will ensure TS is unlikely to make significant inroads in to the annual loss run rate of £8M. Would be nice to see the club pull some rabbits out of the hat and strengthen the squad in the areas that are glaringly obvious before the window closes. If not I suspect it is going to be a long and pretty mundane season.

Others will no doubt have differing opinions but in my view that would be a case of hope over experience.
    I agree. Realistically, I think that just outside playoffs is probably most likely outcome.

It's frustrating, because I think that, with an additional, experienced striking option to Stockley, I don't honestly think we're that far away from having a much stronger chance of getting playoffs. I fear that we'll flatter to deceive with some continued pretty football, but lack the cutting edge to finish out scrappy games with a nicked goal at the end to convert more games into points. I want us to get in a striker that has a bit of nous, can hold the ball up AND has even a little bit of acceleration/movement that gives us a different way to play. Leaburn is getting better every week, Aneke will hopefully be back in the fold at some point, but we remain light up front and without any player to mix it up.

Otherwise, we end up with another par-for-the-course season that keeps us in this league for another year and increases the chances of losing our better players or even the manager. It's always going to be a gamble to invest in certain players at the end of the window. However, I think I believe that this investment would be worth it.

I don't think teams fear our football without a more consistent end product. I'd love to be wrong and say this squad could get there as is, but I think we're just on the cusp. Maybe with a bit of luck we get there, but these things even out over a season.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Tyreece Simpson was our number one target. Who are the next on the list? Tom Cannon is the only name I have heard mentioned. Personally I would prefer a more seasoned older striker to assist in the development of Miles Leaburn.

Any names out there?
  • Chunes said:
    I can't figure out why so many people are down on this team. We've stood up to every test so far and no 'top 6' team has looked much better than us. We smashed Plymouth who it turns out are a very good side and our second string beat a Championship team's first team. 

Last season is finished, it's over. If anyone needed to hear that!
    I am really not down on the team. the result against Plymouth was great, lovely to see, but I suspect we will end up with far too many drawn games given we don't have enough of a cutting edge. Not enough happens in the final third in the majority of our games. I prefer to see it as realism as opposed to being "down on the team".
    I agree that too many draws could be what costs us. If Aneke stays fit he could change that. If he’d been fit enough to come off the bench so far this season I think we’d have at least 3 more points than we do now. He turns draws into wins and losses into draws. Even if he’s only fit for 20 odd games that could be enough to sneak us into the top 6 hopefully