Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Not that I particularly want him back but I've never understood the massive hatred towards Bonne. He's a player we signed from a National League club and he went on to score as many goals in the Championship as Lyle Taylor did. He did it in 11 more games, but he also didn't get injured playing in some nothing international and then didn't mug us off at the end of the season when he needed him most. He ended up playing in a team composed of kids most of the time, getting supplied by Aiden McGeady, and Albie Morgan on the left of midfield with Oshilaja behind him. His goals were the only reason we were still in the conversation at the end of the season though. The winner against Leeds, goals that got points off Fulham and West Brom, two goals to win us the match against Bristol City on Boxing Day. He would have been the man who kept us up if we'd been able to defend properly for 30 more seconds against Birmingham, he held up his part of the deal against Brentford before our late collapse and his 92nd minute equaliser against WIgan meant survival was in our hands on the final day. If it wasn't for a ridiculous set of events across the games (Barnsley becoming Real Madrid in injury time for two weeks, Luton getting two own goals scored for them against Blackburn) then he would have been the person who scored the goals that kept a penniless team of cripples and children in the Championship while the entire club boiled away into civil war.
    But he missed a chance against Millwall and he said that Championship QPR being interested in him turned his head while he was in L1 on a Duchatelet contract. That bastard. I'm not convinced he's the best option available to us now but I'll never get my head around just how much some people seem to hate him when he provided a lot of the very few positive moments in a horrible season.
    I take it you didn’t watch his performance against us in the cup ? That would have told you all you needed to know as to what a poor footballer he is 
  • I really don’t want Bonne but he is not a downgrade on Stockley. He’s not great but definitely fits the system better. 
  • Chunes said:
    Not that I particularly want him back but I've never understood the massive hatred towards Bonne. He's a player we signed from a National League club and he went on to score as many goals in the Championship as Lyle Taylor did. He did it in 11 more games, but he also didn't get injured playing in some nothing international and then didn't mug us off at the end of the season when he needed him most. He ended up playing in a team composed of kids most of the time, getting supplied by Aiden McGeady, and Albie Morgan on the left of midfield with Oshilaja behind him. His goals were the only reason we were still in the conversation at the end of the season though. The winner against Leeds, goals that got points off Fulham and West Brom, two goals to win us the match against Bristol City on Boxing Day. He would have been the man who kept us up if we'd been able to defend properly for 30 more seconds against Birmingham, he held up his part of the deal against Brentford before our late collapse and his 92nd minute equaliser against WIgan meant survival was in our hands on the final day. If it wasn't for a ridiculous set of events across the games (Barnsley becoming Real Madrid in injury time for two weeks, Luton getting two own goals scored for them against Blackburn) then he would have been the person who scored the goals that kept a penniless team of cripples and children in the Championship while the entire club boiled away into civil war.
    But he missed a chance against Millwall and he said that Championship QPR being interested in him turned his head while he was in L1 on a Duchatelet contract. That bastard. I'm not convinced he's the best option available to us now but I'll never get my head around just how much some people seem to hate him when he provided a lot of the very few positive moments in a horrible season.
    I'm noticing a pattern here... Seems like you're just always happy with whatever is happening!
    ...What are you talking about?
  • wmcf123 said:
    I’m amazed any of you expected better than a Bonne level of striker .  We don’t have any money - the good ones will have gone elsewhere at this stage .  Garner is doing a great job with mainly last year’s squad.
    Last years squad? 

New keeper
    new full backs
    new centre half
    new wide strikers
    leaburn and Henry making their league debuts. 

I havent checked but I think only three of Saturdays starting 11 started the game at ipswich last season.
  • Bonne got double figures in the championship for us. Fits the system better than Stockley. I’ve been saying all window I don’t think we’d get better than him. I think he’s out of contract next year as well so if he does as well as he did last time a permanent is possible 
  • edited September 2022
    Bonne has self-advertised in his performances against us (esp the kids game!), just why we don't need him. Damn - that would be so Charlton to get him back on loan just once we mentioned a clean start! 

When a players leaves and states they couldn't resist a move up, show they can't handle the level, it really isn't great for the energy of the Club.

• Genuinely confused as to why people think he'd fit our system better. Unless my mind is playing tricks I don't remember him having a very good touch or being particularly quick. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    So just to clarify… Are we saying Bonne would not be a popular choice? 
  • First deadline day for quite some time whwre it actually feels like a lot could happen.

Won't be getting much work done today!!
  • "Sign a striker, sign a striker, sign a fucking striker, SIGN A FUCKING STRIKER NOW". "No, not that striker, Sandergaard you wanker". (C) Large percentage of #cafc fanbase.
    C.
    With very good reason. 
  • Suicide watch on here
  • First deadline day for quite some time whwre it actually feels like a lot could happen.

Won't be getting much work done today!!
    I actually can't remember the last time we had a transfer deadline day where it seemed like more than one loan signing might happen - never mind having 2, 3 or maybe 4 players going and potentially 2 coming in, with no confidence on who would be incoming
  • 12 goals and 2 assists in 29 starts for Ipswich. 
    11 for us in the championship.

So it's not like he can't score. Not the signing I would have wanted, but it's not like he is an absolute dud either, so here's a novel idea I think I will just wait to see how he plays under Garner before I start getting irate. 
    Or we wait and see if he actually signs before people start to throw their toys out of the pram
  • Cant see Bonne coming here....least im hoping he doesnt want too...
    As far as I'm concerned he'd have to prove himself all over again, just like when he came here from Orient. Saw him play against us for Ipswich and QPR - anonymous in both games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ok - he is being seen as the forward who can "run in behind". 

• "Sign a striker, sign a striker, sign a fucking striker, SIGN A FUCKING STRIKER NOW". "No, not that striker, Sandergaard you wanker". (C) Large percentage of #cafc fanbase.
    Think people have every right to moan about this one. 
  • th0rryy said:
    I think using JFC as cover as a LB (which he has done before) is a great shout.

If we can't move him on, I'm OK with him staying *IF* it doesn't prevent the two players coming in.
    I missed the first 30 minutes of last night's game but watching from then on I thought JFC looked in reasonable nick given his lack of recent game time and could easily play Garner-ball. We are probably top heavy with midfielders now but if we can't get him a move it feels like a real shame if Garner won't put him in the 18 man squad for league games due to the of triggering contract clauses. Presumably if he doesn't move out today and we get further injuries there may potentially have to be a re-think.

So it's not like he can't score. Not the signing I would have wanted, but it's not like he is an absolute dud either, so here's a novel idea I think I will just wait to see how he plays under Garner before I start getting irate. 
    Wait to see if he actually signs first!
  • How would Bonne fit the playing style? Runs like he is wearing concrete boots and has the touch to match it
  • Ah where are those trying to mock me earlier in the window for saying JFC could go Wimbledon or league 2? 
  • Talal said:
    I think I'd rather Leko than Bonne. 
    Hobson's choice

Wait to see if he actually signs first!
    And that as well.

I have no idea how people have the energy to get worked up by things like this.