Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Imagine we get to July, which is in over 2 weeks, and haven't made a signing!! God the thought makes me so angry that I'm angry now! It's like the thing that I don't want to happen has already happened!!!!

It wasn’t a serious post, but given the number we need to bring in we do need to start making progress.
  • Is TS still in the UK does anybody know?
  • After Wikipedia said Jack Tucker was 2.1m tall I'm wondering if this is kosher.

Louis Reed spent his youth career at Sheffield United and he became their youngest ever first team player at 16 years and 257 days and he received a 3 year contract at the blades. So far so good for the Barnsley born player.
    He is born in July and is 5ft 8in tall as most of the best people are, unlike me he is 24 years old.

After a loan at Chesterfield and a move to Peterborough he ended up at Swindon where he was POTY last season.

Reed played 39 games out of 46 👍
    Two goals scored 👎

Please tell me Reed is a defensive midfielder if this comes to fruition ?

If Louis Reed is a holding midfielder then he could play in a double pivot or holding role with Dobson where they work on creating angles in possession which is excellent when/if we get two attacking full backs with pace. Definitely an advantage away from home where we were more open than my friendly corner shop; other than Sunderland and Rotherham where we kept clean sheets and they are now Championship teams ! Funny old game.
    He is a holding midfielder, probably better on the ball than Dobson. Would be a good signing as cover/competition for Dobson 
  • NabySarr said:
    After Wikipedia said Jack Tucker was 2.1m tall I'm wondering if this is kosher.

Louis Reed spent his youth career at Sheffield United and he became their youngest ever first team player at 16 years and 257 days and he received a 3 year contract at the blades. So far so good for the Barnsley born player.
    He is born in July and is 5ft 8in tall as most of the best people are, unlike me he is 24 years old.

After a loan at Chesterfield and a move to Peterborough he ended up at Swindon where he was POTY last season.

Two goals scored 👎

If Louis Reed is a holding midfielder then he could play in a double pivot or holding role with Dobson where they work on creating angles in possession which is excellent when/if we get two attacking full backs with pace. Definitely an advantage away from home where we were more open than my friendly corner shop; other than Sunderland and Rotherham where we kept clean sheets and they are now Championship teams ! Funny old game.
    He is a holding midfielder, probably better on the ball than Dobson. Would be a good signing as cover/competition for Dobson 
    Or playing in the team with Reed pushing on whilst Dobson covers?
  • NabySarr said:

Two goals scored 👎

Or in a 4-3-3 with him and Dobson holding with the third a free role.
  • I really hope that we can broaden our horizons beyond the Swindon Town 21/22 squad. 
    this - let's hope the bulk of our signings aren't just his old side
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Looking forward to supporting Swinton Athletic this year.... 
    Car insurance for Olympians?
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    mart77 said:
    Is TS still in the UK does anybody know?
    Yes is here for 3 weeks. 
    Cheers fella. I’m confident he’s grafting to get stuff done while he’s here 👍🏼
  • Scoham said:
    Pretty much halfway through June without any signings. We can officially hit the panic button.

Imagine the reaction if our first signing is announced in July and it’s Elliot Lee.

Season starts on 30th July. PANIC , EVERYONE PANIC
    And of course leaving transfer dealings to after the season has started really worked well for us last year.

Did you not learn anything from last year ?

• edited June 2022
    NabySarr said:

Two goals scored 👎

Or playing in the team with Reed pushing on whilst Dobson covers?

Cheers Naby for your info, and KA for the above.

Or vice versa as George Dobson's showed when scoring his goal towards the end of season plus his good runs into the box against Morecambe when needs must.

Football is a fluid game and there is no reason why George can't continue to emulate Rice (at our lower level) and be more than a holding midfielder. That isn't that difficult to coach as long as you have fit sharp players who can move. Formations should always change when you on in possession or getting back into a defensive shape. All basis coaching, and as so many of the 25 to 45 year olds  have the same coaching badges you better find an edge somewhere.
  • I really hope that we can broaden our horizons beyond the Swindon Town 21/22 squad. 
    We have not actually signed (or had serious links with) a single player from that squad. Garner has not said anything about bringing his old players with him IIRC.

It's literally just on here people looking at that squad and playing "what if?"
    No harm in picking players that are recognised as amongst the best in their League.

No harm in picking players that our new manager knows inside out - and  are already proven in the gameplan that will be implimented.

• Scoham said:
    Pretty much halfway through June without any signings. We can officially hit the panic button.

Imagine the reaction if our first signing is announced in July and it’s Elliot Lee.

Season starts on 30th July. PANIC , EVERYONE PANIC
    And of course leaving transfer dealings to after the season has started really worked well for us last year.

Did you not learn anything from last year ?

No doubt we'll look to sign our full compliment of loan players, around 5.

Although the way the loan system works out, we're likely to have to wait for most of our loan signings until August/just before the window slams shut.

Same as every club at our level.

• mart77 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    mart77 said:
    Yes is here for 3 weeks. 
    Be nice to see one or two in this week though, given how long the recruitment team have been hard at it. Might settle a few nerves and signal intent, but we're not alone in finding agents demands hard to accommodate.

I managed to cobble together a team that could be competitive come opening day from the current first team squad if all fit and coached well, but there would be some square pegs playing in round holes again, which I know BG wouldn't want to do, and there would be no experienced cover of proven L1 standard.

It might hold it's own for a while, but with no prospect of promotion without reinforcements and upgrades and it would be decimated by any  injuries (again!)

I would certainly like to see three of my  starting names replaced by better, match ready ones, but suspect that's not likely to happen in time for the opening fixture.

Let's hope that's Derby and gets postponed!
  • Chunes said:
    If we sign Lou Reed it will be a Perfect Day
    Think we're more Talking Heads, Road to Nowhere.
  • A bit concerning JUST how thin the squad is now. All the talk about how we've got a core of players to work with, but in reality we're really weak in several areas, especially with NONE of the out of contract players being re-signed, and Gilbey seemingly out of favour.

Squad is paper thin. 2 key players in Inniss and Aneke will unlikely feature in a consistent run of 10 plus games based on prior evidence so wouldn't like to rely on them.

Need to do some proper business next couple of weeks and bed them in with a decent pre season to have a chance of challenging I reckon.
    In all honesty,this late in the day, it's going to take some serious wedge to put a squad together that will challenge imo.
    I know there hasn't been many signings yet but negotiations have probably been going on for many many weeks. Garner has just put his list in.

Will Tommy stump up? Doubtful.

He's more likely if Pope gets sold.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    A week ago we hired Ben Garner.   Steve Gallen said we had lots of targets that we were keeping warm and he couldn't wait to start signing players.

TS then warned us that agents want to wait until the last moment before agreeing a deal so their player gets the best deal.

I think we should be taking a stance, offering deals and saying if you don't accept by X date, we will move on to the next player.  Setting out our vision in what TS and BG want for the side and going from there.

I believe they are going to do their best, but I don't believe we are set up to succeed.   The reason?  Well how about the last frickin' 3 seasons .....
    So do we wait and try and get the best players we think may be achievable, or do we sign up the lesser players now?
  • mart77 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    mart77 said:
    Yes is here for 3 weeks. 
    He was looking at buying a house here at one time. I wonder if he's still looking. Or perhaps he's bought one?
  • A bit concerning JUST how thin the squad is now. All the talk about how we've got a core of players to work with, but in reality we're really weak in several areas, especially with NONE of the out of contract players being re-signed, and Gilbey seemingly out of favour.

Squad is paper thin. 2 key players in Inniss and Aneke will unlikely feature in a consistent run of 10 plus games based on prior evidence so wouldn't like to rely on them.

Need to do some proper business next couple of weeks and bed them in with a decent pre season to have a chance of challenging I reckon.
    In all honesty,this late in the day, it's going to take some serious wedge to put a squad together that will challenge imo.
    I know there hasn't been many signings yet but negotiations have probably been going on for many many weeks. Garner has just put his list in.

And if Pope gets sold, if .........that's when we get the cash. Some signings may have to wait until that time.

A little conundrum for our Thomas:

a) Make the signings asap and hope the Pope money comes in reasonably quickly?
    b) Or wait until the money actually does arrive - and pay inflated transfer fees?

Every selling club, agent, etc will know once we finally receive our windfall.

• JamesSeed said:
    mart77 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    mart77 said:
    Yes is here for 3 weeks. 
    He was looking at buying a house here at one time. I wonder if he's still looking. Or perhaps he's bought one?
    That's his new gaff being built at Sparrows Lane. :smile:

• Oggy Red said:
    I really hope that we can broaden our horizons beyond the Swindon Town 21/22 squad. 
    No harm in picking players that are recognised as amongst the best in their League.

No harm in picking players that our new manager knows inside out - and  are already proven in the gameplan that will be implimented.

To each their own I guess. I’m sure they’ve got some good players, namely Reed and McKirdy - I’d definitely take them. 

I’d just be very underwhelmed if we signed a few players from a team that barely reached the League Two play-offs. They may be good but evidently not that good. 

I’d like to think there’s better out there and Garner can implement his vision with players better than what he’s had before. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    A bit concerning JUST how thin the squad is now. All the talk about how we've got a core of players to work with, but in reality we're really weak in several areas, especially with NONE of the out of contract players being re-signed, and Gilbey seemingly out of favour.

And if Pope gets sold, if .........that's when we get the cash. Some signings may have to wait until that time.

A little conundrum for our Thomas:

a) Make the signings asap and hope the Pope money comes in reasonably quickly?
    b) Or wait until the money actually does arrive - and pay inflated transfer fees?

Every selling club, agent, etc will know once we finally receive our windfall.

Not wait... tomorrow never comes, even though it did yesterday!

Might never happen and, even if it did, Burnley will delay and try to get round paying it any time soon 
  • Oggy Red said:
    I really hope that we can broaden our horizons beyond the Swindon Town 21/22 squad. 

To each their own I guess. I’m sure they’ve got some good players, namely Reed and McKirdy - I’d definitely take them. 

I’d just be very underwhelmed if we signed a few players from a team that barely reached the League Two play-offs. They may be good but evidently not that good. 

I’d like to think there’s better out there and Garner can implement his vision with players better than what he’s had before. 
     Need to judge each player individually. How many predicted Sorba Thomas would have a better season than Kirk?

Swindon were 3 points off going up automatically.

I’m sure we’re looking at plenty of other players who don’t play for them

Not going to happen is it. Sandgaard admitted that last year mistakes were made but we have learned from that & are looking to get our business done early. In his latest interview he's saying that realistically most of our business will be done late on in the window so what exactly did he learn ?