Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Oggy Red said:
    I really hope that we can broaden our horizons beyond the Swindon Town 21/22 squad. 
    No harm in picking players that are recognised as amongst the best in their League.

No harm in picking players that our new manager knows inside out - and  are already proven in the gameplan that will be implimented.

To each their own I guess. I’m sure they’ve got some good players, namely Reed and McKirdy - I’d definitely take them. 

I’d just be very underwhelmed if we signed a few players from a team that barely reached the League Two play-offs. They may be good but evidently not that good. 

I’d like to think there’s better out there and Garner can implement his vision with players better than what he’s had before. 

Yeah, the  highly rated Swindon LB/WB had a very good season too, with 7 assists credited - so obviously created more chances than that and a big threat getting forward.
    What's his recovery and defending like?

If Garner is cherry picking the cream of his Swindon players already familiar with his gameplan to play key roles, he would know their character, abilities and have full confidence in them to step up a division. I haven't looked but maybe these players have some League One experience already?

Managers have often taken their tried and trusted key players with them. It wouldn't be a surprise if Garner did the same.

Garner has already managed in this division in recent times. He'll be familiar with the standard required and have knowledge of many current League One players. Anyway no doubt the Black Box Brigade will have done their homework on available players - they'll know more or less who they want from whatever level
    #Stevegallensshopping list

• 93 pages and how many rumours?
  • A bit concerning JUST how thin the squad is now. All the talk about how we've got a core of players to work with, but in reality we're really weak in several areas, especially with NONE of the out of contract players being re-signed, and Gilbey seemingly out of favour.

Squad is paper thin. 2 key players in Inniss and Aneke will unlikely feature in a consistent run of 10 plus games based on prior evidence so wouldn't like to rely on them.

Need to do some proper business next couple of weeks and bed them in with a decent pre season to have a chance of challenging I reckon.
    Not going to happen is it. Sandgaard admitted that last year mistakes were made but we have learned from that & are looking to get our business done early. In his latest interview he's saying that realistically most of our business will be done late on in the window so what exactly did he learn ? 
    That there are some things he can't control.
  • Antony Evans from Bristol Rovers is one we are keen on
    Good start. Exactly the type of player we should be going for. Young & Hungry with that experience in a prem academy
  • Scoham said:
    Pretty much halfway through June without any signings. We can officially hit the panic button.

Imagine the reaction if our first signing is announced in July and it’s Elliot Lee.

Oh sputter, mutter, everybody go and kill their mother  ;)
  • Antony Evans from Bristol Rovers is one we are keen on
    Now you're talking .
  • JamesSeed said:
    93 pages and how many rumours?
    Plenty . We are signing Marquis Bostock Sarr and eleven players from Swindon .
    Doh. I thought people were joking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:
    Pretty much halfway through June without any signings. We can officially hit the panic button.

Imagine the reaction if our first signing is announced in July and it’s Elliot Lee.

Season starts on 30th July. PANIC , EVERYONE PANIC
    And of course leaving transfer dealings to after the season has started really worked well for us last year.

Did you not learn anything from last year ?

No doubt we'll look to sign our full compliment of loan players, around 5.

Although the way the loan system works out, we're likely to have to wait for most of our loan signings until August/just before the window slams shut.

Same as every club at our level.

You know we DONT have to take up quota of 5 loans don't you. We could, heaven forbid, just sign players as per (on a free even) and have OUR players playing for us, rather than Chelsea's. That also means we wont be forever having to sign players on a yearly basis.

Why dont WE take the initiative rather than pandering to the "big" clubs and end up scrabbling around on deadline day. 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

And of course leaving transfer dealings to after the season has started really worked well for us last year.

Although the way the loan system works out, we're likely to have to wait for most of our loan signings until August/just before the window slams shut.

You know we DONT have to take up quota of 5 loans don't you. We could, heaven forbid, just sign players as per (on a free even) and have OUR players playing for us, rather than Chelsea's. That also means we wont be forever having to sign players on a yearly basis.

Why dont WE take the initiative rather than pandering to the "big" clubs and end up scrabbling around on deadline day. 
    Well yes we COULD do that. Certainly it's possible. I'm not convinced that having about a dozen senior players and hoping that our academy suddenly produces a Golden Generation is actually a GOOD idea, but it's possible.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

I like that idea, but I think the reality is that they see where they end up with their targets and then use the loan market to plug the gaps. 

And if that foresight doesn't invite a "No sh*t Sherlock' response, nothing will.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Scoham said:

Money, it’s cheaper.
  • edited June 2022
    If we did sign Louis Reed he wouldn’t be on the bench, someone would be making way for him I imagine 

I wonder if we will be back in for Tom Lowery now that Blackpool have a new manager 
  • edited June 2022
  • Most managers do bring players in from their former clubs. Curbs brought Gatting, Nelson and later on Robinson from Brighton for example. After all, they'll be far more aware of the "hidden gems" there.

The Cowleys signed Harry Toffolo for Lincoln in L2, then brought him to Huddersfield where he's thrived in the Championship under the next manager. 
  • Well I am getting a de jacket Vue feeling, is this the summer of 2020 all over again.
    So when will the club make its first signing of a new permanent player and how many will be signed by the time of the jolly to Spain for TS.
  • If we did sign Louis Reed he wouldn’t be on the bench, someone would be making way for him I imagine 

I wonder if we will be back in for Tom Lowery now that Blackpool have a new manager 
    why would that make any difference??
  • If we did sign Louis Reed he wouldn’t be on the bench, someone would be making way for him I imagine 

why would that make any difference??
    Because I think it was Critchley who was pursuing Kirk and Lowery. With him out of the frame the new manager may have other ideas 
  • Sponsored links:

• Plays for Crewe 
  • Any other free agents knocking about that look worthwhile? Maybe someone like O'Brien from Portsmouth, or Odubajo from QPR? Both probably not on our radar (one ex Scum, the other on a fair wedge) but I feel that's the calibre of free agent we need to aim for, high League 1/Lower Championship 
  • A real failing of last season was that none of the loan signings were very successful, and potential signings. The likes of Stockley and Purrington came on loan to us first, before we signed them permanently, whereas the likes of Famewo, Cullen and Da Silva had second loan spells the next season
  • The loan signings haven’t been has good since bowyer left. His profile and contacts  attracted better players on loan than Adkins in my opinion. 
  • Realistically I don't actually expect promotion this season. Hope - yes, expect - no. 

With that in mind and assuming that Gardner and Sandgaard are similarly inclined I'm not necessarily expecting the squad at the end of this window to be a finished article. I'd be very surprised if there were not a few gaps, some of them probably very obvious and maybe some less so.

But if Garner really is appointed as someone to start a project rather than (just) deliver instant results I hope we will be able to see what that idea will eventually be even if we're not quite there yet.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Anthony Evans is exactly the type of player we should be looking at , still young enough to develop, in form at the end of last season, goal scoring midfielder, out contract and available on a free and a good character by all accounts, what’s not to like 👍 
    Just watched a goals and assists compilation, looks like a player. 

Can I be the first to berate the recruitment team for not signing a player we’re probably not interested in anyway? 
  • Antony Evans would be a very interesting move. Came through Everton's academy with a couple of EFL loans thrown in , then a weird spell in Germany with Paderborn before coming back to England with Bristol Rovers last season. Fits the right kind of profile but wonder if there might be higher division interest in him. 

Speaking of Bristol Rovers - I'd throw one of their loanees from last season into the mix in Elliott Anderson of Newcastle as maybe someone to take a look at , another creative goalscoring midfielder who I've seen linked quite heavily with Sheffield Wednesday. 
  • Last seasons summer signings, including those who signed new contracts (with Done Deal dates).  Apologies for missing off Ben Watson, his was an extension clause triggered I think. Almost a year to the day since Stockley!

Stockley 15th June
    McGillivray 28th June
    Dobson 1st July
    Forster-Caskey 5th July
    Famewo 8th July
    Matthews 8th July
    Clare 20th July
    Kirk 12th Aug
    Blackett-Taylor 20th Aug
    Lee 26th Aug
    Leko 31st Aug
    Arter 31st Aug