Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Morecambe | Saturday 15th April 2022

We started brightly but, as we tend to do, failed to make our possession count. Our final ball is rarely good enough. Morecambe really weren’t in it for the first twenty minutes, but with the quality they have in Stockton, they’re always a danger. On on about twenty-five minutes, some Blackett-Taylor failed to track his man who waltz into the Charlton box and found Stockton on the edge of the six-yard box who worked the angles and slotted home with a sly dink to the far post. We then struggled to get back into it throughout the rest of the half. To further blunt our enthusiasm, they scored again to go two up.

Again, we started brightly in the second half. Stockley managed to claw one back and give us a bit of hope. Only for them to score again from poor distribution from MacGillevray that gifted them another goal.

Blackett-Taylor had the best of all the fullbacks on the left all afternoon. Once he pushes the ball into space in front of him, he’s unplayable with pace to burn. Chuks came on (as did Washington) and Blackett-Taylor was able to find him with a cross that he masterfully tucked away with a fine header. Momentum was back with us. Unfortunately, it just wasn’t enough and we ran out of time. You can’t concede three at home and expect to come away with anything.

Back to back Valley defeats, chalked up once again to calamitous defending.

Charlton 2 Morecambe 3

Comments

• Options
    So indicative of our season. Will be pleased when it's over now.
  • Options
    That result is just not good enough 
  • Options
    Has Jackson resigned yet … ?
  • Options
    We deserved a point but perhaps it’s better overall we didn’t get it so we can release the deadwood in the summer
  • Options
    JJ isnt someone who would walk away ever he was a leader as a player. Unfortunately he will try to stick it out which I think is sad tbh. It's almost like watching someone drowning and you cant help them. He needs to go down a few levels and learn, this is not the place for him at the moment. If TS keeps him on I would be amazed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On a horrible afternoon, CBT was a delight. Dobson good sgain, Clare good game.  Apart from that, it was painful. Aneke put awwy the chance CBT served up on a plate, but looked as rudty as anyone I've ever seen. And the service to our strikers was very poor. 
    Good game for a neutral rubbish for the Addicks.
  • Options
    General football point here. When we look and try to decide whether a player has touched the ball before fouling the man, surely that touch has to deflect the ball in some way. If the ball remains under the control of the fouled player surely it is a pen irrespective of a micro touch if indeed there was one.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    JJ isnt someone who would walk away ever he was a leader as a player. Unfortunately he will try to stick it out which I think is sad tbh. It's almost like watching someone drowning and you cant help them. He needs to go down a few levels and learn, this is not the place for him at the moment. If TS keeps him on I would be amazed
    A true leader knows when to step away.
  • Options
    Managed to take 1 point off the mighty Morcambe this season. I cant go next week as im away. Best result all season.
  • Options
    Pretty poor. Despite how good or bad individual players are, the team is generally devoid of ideas and the build-up is too slow as a result. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    A true leader knows when to step away.
    Doesn’t he have to finish above a certain position to automatically stay on?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mistakes cost points. MacG cost us at least a point. Famewo and Pearce were awful. Morgan and Matthews crossing was poor. We know that there will be a big clear out so it's up to the players to show if they want in or not.
  • Options
    One player can hold his head up after that - CBT. The rest can do one.

Here comes the same comment I write every week it seems. Why is there such a huge gap between the wing backs and back 3? Why do we collectively back off when any opposition carry the ball towards us? Why are we still playing 3-5-2?

The main thing to consider is that we have lost 20 games in league one. Shameful.
    Morecambe were wise to this. Everyone knows we can’t defend basic channel balls.  It’s oh so easy play into the vast areas behind the wing backs. It’s a coaching failure. 
  • Options
    Totally inept from top to bottom. Absolute embarrassment. 
  • Options
    I can conclude that we are not very good.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Mistakes cost points. MacG cost us at least a point. Famewo and Pearce were awful. Morgan and Matthews crossing was poor. We know that there will be a big clear out so it's up to the players to show if they want in or not.
    Everyone was falling over themselves to praise ‘the skipper’ after last week at Rotherham.  This is what winds me up.  One decent performance and he’s putting out tweets - great to be back out there, 3pts, clean sheet blah blah.  Why?  It’s been such a pathetic season that these absolute flannels think they can come out all tweets blazing celebrating a little win, and then retract back into their hovels with the typical abject display like today.

TS, Jackson and the players (if it’s largely the same group at the start of next season), have pretty much got to nail the first 10 games otherwise it will get very ugly next season 
  • Options
    I just don’t think Jacko is ready for this size job. Hope I am wrong but we will not be promoted under him.
    Please don’t imply being the Charlton manager is a big job, sadly those days are well and truly gone. We are lower mid league one and need somebody with the knowledge and fight to turn it around. And because of this season we need some luck in the transfer market to convince some good players to drop to our level. We are in a shit state and I don’t see much light at the end of our dark tunnel. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    NU, j block was fun. See you all next season