Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Morecambe | Saturday 15th April 2022

Comments

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Clare did some good things but he's not a defender in a million years. Not great for their 2nd....he can be tighter to help with a block. Very poor for their 3rd....let matey advance and pick his spot. 

Useful squad player but I agree with Chris Perry....not a first choice defender (if you want to go up). 

Whole mess is evident in last 5 mins. Crying out for long diagonal up to Stockley and Aneke and pick up the bits. Instead we fuck about passing inside to Dobson while Aneke is hovering about outside the area. No appreciation of what was needed. Just as we finally tried it, the ref blew for full-time.

This is a very poorly coached team. 
    Totally agree mate 
  • Options
    HandG said:
    Simonsen said:
    Clare did some good things but he's not a defender in a million years. Not great for their 2nd....he can be tighter to help with a block. Very poor for their 3rd....let matey advance and pick his spot. 

Useful squad player but I agree with Chris Perry....not a first choice defender (if you want to go up). 

Whole mess is evident in last 5 mins. Crying out for long diagonal up to Stockley and Aneke and pick up the bits. Instead we fuck about passing inside to Dobson while Aneke is hovering about outside the area. No appreciation of what was needed. Just as we finally tried it, the ref blew for full-time.

I didn’t go today but have just watched the highlights back and the first and third goals really show why these players don’t work in this formation.

Blackett-Taylor and Jayisiemi have both had good moments attacking at wing back but are too often  caught out of position or don’t track their man when defending. That’s because they are out and out wingers…

Clare has been very good for much of the season at centre half but, to echo Simonsen’s comments above, the way he failed to close down their attacker for their goal today along with some of his other decisions in recent weeks show that he is still a square peg in a round hole. That’s because he ain’t a defender…

I really hope Jackson gets it right next season but, if he is going to stick with this formation, he needs to have a huge clear out of this squad and that may as well include all the wingers because, as good as they may be going forward (particularly CBT), they are always going to leave gaps in behind which will lead to goals conceded.
    All wing backs are going to leave gaps sometimes, it’s the nature of the position. It’s how the team copes when that happens that’s the issue. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    HandG said:
    Simonsen said:

I didn’t go today but have just watched the highlights back and the first and third goals really show why these players don’t work in this formation.

Blackett-Taylor and Jayisiemi have both had good moments attacking at wing back but are too often  caught out of position or don’t track their man when defending. That’s because they are out and out wingers…

Clare has been very good for much of the season at centre half but, to echo Simonsen’s comments above, the way he failed to close down their attacker for their goal today along with some of his other decisions in recent weeks show that he is still a square peg in a round hole. That’s because he ain’t a defender…

I really hope Jackson gets it right next season but, if he is going to stick with this formation, he needs to have a huge clear out of this squad and that may as well include all the wingers because, as good as they may be going forward (particularly CBT), they are always going to leave gaps in behind which will lead to goals conceded.
    All wing backs are going to leave gaps sometimes, it’s the nature of the position. It’s how the team copes when that happens that’s the issue. 
    That is true but you would expect them to have the defensive instinct to stick with their runners? Or the positional sense to know when to go to a man or drop off? 

• Options
    I’ve seen a few other clubs fans say that Morecambe are the worst team they’ve faced this season and we got played off the park by them. Depressing as fuck.
    They were total crap for the first 15 mins. Had them on the ropes. I can’t explain the other 75.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    What is wrong with our coaching? How come we buy players that on paper are great, even players of the season (Mcgillvray), but the minute they put on a Red and White kit (or Green) they become zombies or injured, or booked.

This has to be the worst performing team on paper, in our division, compared to the player hype. I love Jacko but his team is ill disciplined and not playing in his mould.

There is no cohesion and almost every team gets an easy ride. I have no idea what the answer is but the question yet again is, can Thomas sort out this shitshow?

If for next season I was offered 100/1 for Promoted, or Evens for Not Promoted, I know where my money would be going, unless there is a major shakeup. 
  • Options
    The first 2 goals were once again down to the players inability, to be able to defend adequately, in the formation they are being asked to play.

1st goal CBT was nowhere to be seen, so Famewo got dragged across to LB position.
    Pearce then got dragged across to cover Famewo being out left, leaving a gaping great hole where you would usually have 2 centre backs in a back four.

The 2nd goal, instead of having a line of 4, Pearce tried to win a header in front of his man, lost the rebound and once again, we were wide open.

These players are poor (many), but I honestly think if we were playing a formation that suited them we would have at least been higher up, say 9th or 10th.
  • Options
    Another season in the third division. Will the team realise you have to entertain the (paying) audience. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:

Something I commented about at the game this afternoon, is that we had 3 strikers on at the end, but they struggled to work out how to actually play as a team.

Thus when crosses came in, they all went to the middle of the box or the far post or the near post, instead of challenging defenders by moving as individuals into space
  • Options
    I’ve seen a few other clubs fans say that Morecambe are the worst team they’ve faced this season and we got played off the park by them. Depressing as fuck.
    We actually played them off the park for the first 10-15 mins. Problem is, like every match, we don't capitalise & let the other team to get settled. I said on the match thread at around 3.25pm that that was it as Morecambe had started to attack & it wouldn't be long before Stockton scored. 3 mins later he did. And then they got the killer second. No need to explain why we all knew it was over at that point. We just cant do what Derby did tonight. 
  • Options
    We pressed them in that first 15 minutes and then we stopped. It's the first time I've seen us press in a while.
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    Would give a left bollock to never see this god awful inept team ever again. So bored of them all. 
    A left bollock or THE left bollock?  How many are there?

Also would carry a bit more weight if you had said “my left bollock” than just a generic “a” left one, as clearly the former would involve personal loss rather than the latter, which could be any old unfortunate being debolloxed 
    Could also just not go.
  • Options
    Same old same old, short passage of good play then give up.  Both halves followed the pattern. Put it on the match thread but the regularity and lengths of time this happens can't just be down to the players having a collective switch off. 

Still, got the same old bollocks arguments to look forward to as Powell and Bowyer now. So that's nice. 
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    Would give a left bollock to never see this god awful inept team ever again. So bored of them all. 
    A left bollock or THE left bollock?  How many are there?

Also would carry a bit more weight if you had said “my left bollock” than just a generic “a” left one, as clearly the former would involve personal loss rather than the latter, which could be any old unfortunate being debolloxed 
    To be fair to the original poster, I might give a left bollock too, but I draw the line at my own. You can't separate the dynamic duo.
  • Options
    Yesterday's game was like the whole season in microcosm. Play well for a bit, fail to score. Start to wane and it's only a matter of time before we go behind. Look like getting back into it and someone drops a clanger. Chase the game at the end but it's too little too late. We need new blood and new ideas.

Yesterday's MoM: Blackett-Taylor. Yesterday's Howler: MacGillivray.
  • Options
    I do hope Thomas is going to jet in for the final few games, to witness in person what the rest of us can see, a bang average team playing a formation which doesn't work. Its time for Thomas to roll his sleeves up and sort the mess out and quickly, bring in help & the right staff and players to make it happen. As a work colleague of mine used to say "Its not my problem old boy!".....thank God! I've got my ticket for Ipswich and then looking forward to the summer and a break. I'll  come back as ever with optimism and hope, will it be good or bad times ahead for 22/23 who knows? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fotmob ratings 

Who scored ratings:

Why do you always post this crap? It’s utterly meaningless when the ratings are clearly ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Here’s more meaningless/meaningful? crap to look at… shot map for the two teams. Charlton shots in orange, Morecambe shots in blue.

On an average day, Morecambe would score one maybe two goals from those shots in blue. But of course they were playing against CAFC which always adds at least an extra goal on. :-)

• Options
    Once again,a half decent performance which was spoilt by stupid basic errors.Not tracking back,allowing a player to waltz around in our box and finally,the keeper supplying an early easter present.
    1)Do we need a system whereby our most potent forward,spends his energy defending.
    2)Stockley today was poor,yes he scored a tap in,but his hold up game was Hackney Marshes div.6 standard,why do players not spend some of their ample spare time improving on their bad points.
    3)Clare was very good,except for one slight mishap which stunned the crowd into silence.
    4)I note,not surprisingly,Jason Pearce is copping it,well,I do not think he is the only centre back to have trouble keeping Stockton quiet,the guy is a good player,way above this level.
    5)We have I believe a hard core of decent defenders when all fit,we have some good midfield players,JFC,Dobson,Fraser,but not really an outstanding player who can take the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate play.Up Front is a problem,far too many crosses and  pull backs just not reaching our players,How many times yesterday did we get to the byline and get nothing.
    I will buy my ticket for next season,but will be pissed off if new blood does not arrive.