Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Morecambe | Saturday 15th April 2022

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:

Nope, still don't understand.

Stockley was supposed to score 1.5 goals, but only scored 1. 

Gnahoua was only supposed to score 0.4 goals but bagged 2.

Cheeky fellow. Wasn't supposed to be that good. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:
    Scoham said:

Same thing week in week out recently. 6 goals in the last 5 games but the expected goals would have us at around 10 or 11. We are not anywhere near ruthless enough which puts more pressure on the defence, which is poor as it is. 
    Exactly, we’re almost completely reliant on Stockley, Washington and Aneke’s goals. It makes them seem more wasteful than they really are as there’s no one we can rely on to step up when we need a goal - no defenders who are a regular threat from set pieces, no good free kick takers, no midfielders anywhere near double figures and apart from Dobson’s goal never a threat from long range.
    Spot on. We have no threats in terms of goals other than those 3, and to be honest they are wasteful in front of goal as well.

Watching Wednesday smash MK, we are so far away from anything either of these two sides have it’s genuinely worrying and embarrassing.

We need major surgery just to catch up to be anywhere near like these sides are right now.
  • Options
    Excellent analysis Sage. 32 players is a ridiculous number for a league 1 club. 
    Particularly when 30 of them aren’t good enough 
  • Options
    Congratulations @shine166

• Options
    Crikey. After reading @Sage post I need to cheer myself up. So much wrong with the team at the moment when there should be so much right after the 2 Shed years. I have never felt so much apathy during a game than I did yesterday. Couldn’t get excited when we got one back as I knew what was coming and like night follows day I was proved right. Can’t wait for this shambolic season come to an end. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Doesn’t seem long ago we were extolling the merits of the performance against Rotherham, and the three wins in four. 
    We’ve gone from that to saying we’re now on the level of a club like Gillingham. 
    Sums up the season really. Losing streak followed by winning streak. Followed by losing streak. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I'm sure Jacko and his team analyse why we are conceeding goals. Now some teams will accept conceding a certain number if they are scoring a higher amount but it is more worrying when you are conceding a massive variety of goals. The analysis available to the management team will be in depth, but just from what I have seen, we don't get done in and behind much, we are ok with set pieces but not perfect. What we fall down mostly on is not picking up our men and standing off them too much allowing it to be too easy to find space for a shot or accurate cross.

So there are a couple of areas, but surely a solution is manageable. The danger is to fix one or two issues and create new ones. But I don't think we are in a terrible situation in terms of what can be done to improve it. Our defence needs the biggest change though. The other area we need to address is goals in the team. I honestly believe a few tweaks and a bit of confidence and Gilbey can score goals, he certainly can get chances, and Fraser looks like he can also but both have had seasons impacted by Covid. However, we can't bank on that and we need one or two more goal scoring options from midfield. Having a player like Dobson holds that sort of midfield together so there is a lot of potential there for a fix. A striker like Stockton would add significantly to goals, and Stockley, Aneke and Washington do get a reasonable number. We need a few more from elsewhere and when we had no decent strikers we really struggled.

I would make goals a key skillset in our recruitment (including from defence where possible) along with improving the defensive areas highlighted. We don't have to be perfect, just change the balance so it becomes in our favour. I don't believe it is an impossible task and I'm sure Jacko and his team are up to it. I am expecting, rather than hoping that they are on the case now. And we do have some decent players for the level so whilst we do need a clear out, we probably don't need as many in as people think. They just have to be the right players. And there has to be a strategy and direction of travel.

Our problem is that we are a little bit too easy to score against and find it a little bit too hard to score. The emphasis is on the 'little bit' and that is why I am reasonably optimistic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But maybe next season it will be harder to cancel us out. We want to win, but Jacko has a system and he has clearly decided to keep working on it. A system is a system. It can work but we need some new players to unlock it. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Had a nice surprise in the programme yesterday, poor result but had a great day. I had no idea, until strangers in Crossbars kept asking me if i was getting married lol 

Noticed the RIP for Bobby Finch,I went to Charlton secondary with a Bobby Finch,a very tall ginger hair lad,good player ,played centre half and I think went into the plumbing trade.I played a few years at British Ropes,Bobby didnt play for us,but he was mates with a few of the lads and often joined us fro training,real nice guy.
  • Options
    Well we "won" the second half 2-1, so thats surely proof that Jackson didnt need to change tactics at that point

Its the fact we were stupid enough to go into HT at 2-0 that left us with the mountain to climb
  • Options
    All the comments about McGilverry being the worst keeper ever not quite true. He never seems to have fitted in but remember Thuram, now that is the worst keeper.
  • Options
    All the comments about McGilverry being the worst keeper ever not quite true. He never seems to have fitted in but remember Thuram, now that is the worst keeper.
    I'd also put Macca above Nicky Weaver for us
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Another xG graph from Experimental 361…

Jacko wasn’t wrong when he said they were clinical and we were wasteful. Gnahoua in particular did very well to score twice from the shots taken.

Stockley will be disappointed not to have scored just before half time.

• Options
    Congratulations @shine166

Cheers mate 👍 
  • Options
    Morecambe Gaffer has just ruined next season for us:

“We knew the gameplan and we had to suss them out – we did that really well. We locked high on to their back three, we dealt with their wing-backs with our full-backs, our midfield players then locked on to their midfield players. It stopped them playing."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

“We knew the gameplan and we had to suss them out – we did that really well. We locked high on to their back three, we dealt with their wing-backs with our full-backs, our midfield players then locked on to their midfield players. It stopped them playing."
    Jacko got the bounce with his tactics when he took over, but many opposition managers have sussed out how to counter them, hence our results settling down to mid table mediocrity 
  • Options
    What frustrates me is that for their first goal Stockton pulled back to the penalty spot, the player going down the wing new he was was going to do that so played the ball there. This followed the midfielder knowing that the guy who crossed would run into the space that he ran into. Two simple straight line passes with neither player really having to look up. We never seem to do that (anywhere on the pitch) and a ball pinged across the box is much harder to connect to properly and more likely to miss the on runners.

It also means that we generally have 2 or 3 players stretching to reach the ball across the six yard box whilst they needed 1 in the box to connect on the penalty spot. 

Hard and low can sometimes be right but we had a number of occasions (3 or 4+ ) where we got close to the bye line and thumped it across, I think on only one did we even make a connection (and didn't score). We don't seem to think or intuitively know where our team mates are going to go, other teams (including Morecombe) seem to have that.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:

Jacko got the bounce with his tactics when he took over, but many opposition managers have sussed out how to counter them, hence our results settling down to mid table mediocrity 
    mendonca said:

And yet several clubs are fighting for promotion playing three at the back.

The formation isn’t the issue, it’s the quality and in some cases the attitude of the players.

Switch to other systems and it won’t be long until the weaknesses in those will be exposed too.
    Lack of goals from midfield is the huge concern. If we had someone of Gallagher or Aribo ability for the timings of runs into the box we would probably have been out of sight within 5 mins. Damage was done not scoring in opening 10 when we dominated. Way too predictable throughout.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    mendonca said:

And that, in a nutshell, is the problem with Jacko. His system is totally predictable and he either doesn't know how to change it around or simply refuses to. Both the team and the manager have to be capable of spotting problems and adapting accordingly.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:

mendonca said:

The formation isn’t the issue, it’s the quality and in some cases the attitude of the players.

Switch to other systems and it won’t be long until the weaknesses in those will be exposed too.
    Yes they played their hand very well but leaving their two centre backs against two strikers SHOULD be a very risky tactic.

Unfortunately Stockley is half injured while also playing like a headless chicken whereas Burstow looks like a lost boy out there.

They would not have been nearly as comfortable playing the way they did with Washington and/or Aneke in the starting eleven.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:

mendonca said:

The point is the lack of tactical flexibility and adjustments DURING the game when it isn't working or needs a change. 

Once it's clear that they've nullified the tactic, a good manager makes changes. The Morecambe manager is confused that Jackson himself didn't at half time. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    mendonca said:

mendonca said:

The point is the lack of tactical flexibility and adjustments DURING the game when it isn't working or needs a change. 

Once it's clear that they've nullified the tactic, a good manager makes changes. The Morecambe manager is confused that Jackson himself didn't at half time. 
    We ended up scoring twice in the second half without changing things around. Maybe we should’ve started 4-3-3 and switched to 3-5-2 at half time. :-)

The Morecambe manager can say they ‘nullified’ us but in reality we created 1.5 ish xG in the first half without actually hitting the net while they scored two goals from around 0.7 xG. That’s not them nullifying us, that’s us being wasteful as per.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    mendonca said:

To be fair, their full-back definitely didn't 'deal with' CBT