Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Morecambe | Saturday 15th April 2022

Comments

• Options
    Did anyone say Pearce should be a mainstay? 

Don't think anyone feels he should be, but CAN be adequate cover.

Sadly he was outplayed by the bigger, stronger faster Stockton. 
  • Options
    Probably the perfect result for charlton that won’t let anyone from TS down to end the season with a dilutional viewpoint that this can continue into next season and if it stays the same it can be sorted out if we have another Nigel Adkins type start
  • Options
    Just one more home game to persevere. 
  • Options
    General football point here. When we look and try to decide whether a player has touched the ball before fouling the man, surely that touch has to deflect the ball in some way. If the ball remains under the control of the fouled player surely it is a pen irrespective of a micro touch if indeed there was one.
    If you’re talking about the Dodson incident, I thought he slipped as he went to play the ball.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

If we can call him a player coach and not affect our squad numbers he would be a decent emergency centre half.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Agreed, but its also fair that his best games are generally away where we tend to concede possession and have less exposure on the break with the MF out of position as they tend to sit back and break.  At home the back 3 are exposed by the break as we seem to try to force it, getting ourselves into all manner of shite positions, exposing Mr Pearce.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Glad I spunked more doe to take the family up to Ipswich on the train… I will end up in a padded cell at this rate
  • Options
    No leadership. No creativity. Always make the obvious pass. Theres more wrong here than just a few players being rubbish. 
  • Options
    Pretty awful and not surprising given that washington nor chuks were starting. Burstow simply isn’t strong enough nor hungry enough for this league. The defence unsurprisingly were too slow in going forward and too slow in keeping up with their strikers (who by the way showed us how to strike the ball) Too many slow defenders mean we don’t keep a clean sheet. The passing was inconsistent. It will be no surprise to see big changes in the summer and the development of a way of playing football that is not as predictable as this
  • Options
    Awful. 
  • Options
    One player can hold his head up after that - CBT. The rest can do one.

Here comes the same comment I write every week it seems. Why is there such a huge gap between the wing backs and back 3? Why do we collectively back off when any opposition carry the ball towards us? Why are we still playing 3-5-2?

The main thing to consider is that we have lost 20 games in league one. Shameful.
    CBT was responsible for their first goal - he really isn't a wing-back.
  • Options
    We were sloppy and unprofessional.  Some players were already on the beach.  Movement in front of the ball and short passing was non existent at times.   Need to be a lot more ruthless both on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    Morgan started like a new man. Going forward and first time passes. Then reverted to type. Dawdled over to take the corner in the 2 minutes of first half injury time. 

Stockley does not deserve to be in the team on that performance.

Pearce should hang up his boots tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve seen a lot better displays than today but I didn’t really expect anything to be honest. Our season never got started and petered out without  a whimper. When Morecambe supporters are giving it the olé on 60 odd minutes you know your place in this league. 
    I don’t expect to see a display that Barcelona would put their name to but I do expect to footballers who at least look like they are professionals. I haven’t a clue who should stay and who should go, the entire team look so disjointed and so devoid of anything like a game plan, it’s hard to see who has talent and who hasn’t. 
    If it weren’t sunny and warm today it would have been a  really miserable afternoon.
    I’d love to have their number 9 (Stockton?) in our team next year but I think there will be a few clubs wanting his services.  
  • Options
    Given their precarious position in the league, I thought Morecambe would be compelled to park the bus after they scored.

Sadly, there was no need. They just had to play their normal game. Whether it be 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, 1-3 or 2-3.  We didn't really scare them, and that is what worries me.   

• Options
    mogodon said:
    Defeats will help those running the show to realise that there have to be changes. A few meaningless wins at this stage of the season only likely to paper over cracks that are so horribly evident to us all.  The immediate question has to be whether the manager stays s much of what happens in the close season depends on that 
    Do you have any faith that those "running the show" have any idea what exactly is wrong & how to put it right ? We have a lot to be grateful to sandgaard for but I don't believe we'll go anywhere with him as owner UNLESS he steps back & lets football people run the club.
  • Options
    SexyDave said:
    So much over reaction at times on here. Yeah we weren't great at times today, calling out Stockly... Come on. Guy is trying to play through the pain and is still scoring regularly.

You can see JFC is better than the rest of the midfield. He does something so simple that no else seems to do... Pass and move, and makes himself available... Gilby could learn a thing or two from him. Shame we gifted them the goal as otherwise we'd have got something out of that. Looking forward to the summer to be honest in the hope they get it more right this time around! 
    I doubt Gilbey now has the necessary skills or attitude to learn, better to try with those from the Academy or elsewhere who do

• Options
    Got up this morning with the full intention of going to the game. But my stint in the garden cutting back the Ivy took longer than I thought it would so I gave it a miss and watch online instead. Honestly, the match was so boring and hardly captured my attention, I started watching A place in the Country which featured a couple from Charlton looking for a place on the Kent and Sussex borders. As for the game … Meh. Can’t wait for the season to be over. Will I renew my ST next year? Right now I’m in two minds. Fucking awful, this Charlton team 
  • Options
    same appalling shite and we cannot beat inferior teams at home.
    we should be in 12th position today and will probably up up 18th.
    it’s time our Rock n Roll owner with big ideas put his money where his mouth is, 
    this team is 70% Shite.!!!!
    very disappointing to say the least.!

• Options
    Chunes said:
    JJ: "It’s a huge summer that we have to get right because there is a real core of something good and that, if we had the right types in the right positions, we have got a great opportunity.”

Is there?
    Well we're only one win behind the giants of Cheltenham, Accrington and Cambridge...
  • Options
    One player can hold his head up after that - CBT. The rest can do one.

Here comes the same comment I write every week it seems. Why is there such a huge gap between the wing backs and back 3? Why do we collectively back off when any opposition carry the ball towards us? Why are we still playing 3-5-2?

The main thing to consider is that we have lost 20 games in league one. Shameful.
    Dobson was excellent all game, barring the one pass that went astray.