Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club Statement on Discriminatory Abuse

A complaint of discriminatory abuse by an individual in the Covered End was made to the referee, Sam Purkiss, by a Shrewsbury Town player during today’s game at The Valley.

The game was delayed for a period of time after the referee informed the club’s safety officer that he wouldn’t re-commence the game until the two individuals had been removed from the stadium.

An individual has been arrested by police and is in custody. The club are supporting the police with their investigations. 

The club has a zero-tolerance policy towards any form of discrimination. We have a long history of promoting equality and tackling discrimination. Discrimination has no place at this club or in football.

Comments

• Options
    So does anyone (without going into explicit detail) have any insight into what non-racist discrimination consists of to be worthy of arrest?
  • Options
    How do we know it wasn’t racist discrimination?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    How do we know it wasn’t racist discrimination?
    I just made the assumption (potentially wrongly) that if it was for racist abuse, it would have been flagged in the statement as racist abuse. 
  • Options
    So does anyone (without going into explicit detail) have any insight into what non-racist discrimination consists of to be worthy of arrest?
    Based on nationality, rather than race?
  • Options
    Any hate crime including verbal abuse. Public order offending. Incitement 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Would imagine if the goal keeper heard the comments then loads of people around would have heard it very clearly. 

Will wait to see if ME tweets about it tonight.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    After we scored the second goal more of the usual suspects ended behind the goal to have a pop at the keeper. At the end of the game a Charlton Athletic member of staff took a few photo of these individuals. Was that for the clubs Twitter feed or to pass onto to the old bill? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    After we scored the second goal more of the usual suspects ended behind the goal to have a pop at the keeper. At the end of the game a Charlton Athletic member of staff took a few photo of these individuals. Was that for the clubs Twitter feed or to pass onto to the old bill? 
    The photos were with their own phones I think.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    shirty5 said:
    No it was club member of staff on the pitch at the final whistle. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The individual concerned is on Twitter saying he hasn't been charged as yet and that he has said nothing racist.  I know nothing and do not know either party buy I remember we as a supporter base got called racist for singing "Who let the frogs out", to the Chelsea side years ago.  Probably not PC and not acceptable but not worth the column inches that followed.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    cfgs said:
    shirty5 said:
    Ok ok saw a senior steward taking photos of some behind the goal after the final whistle. He was dancing and mucking about either side of taking their photos, I thought this is what you were referring to.  He did hype them up before taking the photos.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    shirty5 said:
    cfgs said:
    shirty5 said:
    Ok ok saw a senior steward taking photos of some behind the goal after the final whistle. He was dancing and mucking about either side of taking their photos, I thought this is what you were referring to.  He did hype them up before taking the photos.
    Not hard to hype up a bunch of thickos 
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Someone has been nicked, so clearly not him unless the old bill have not done a proper strip search 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Why would he be ejected for making an accusation?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    I think he means he was accused of being racist as he sat next to his mixed race son.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    These tweets have cause some confusion, unfortunately. Although he was ejected (wrongly identified originally) a separate person was identified, also ejected and has been arrested. 
    Bit shit for him and his son to be kicked out if they were doing nothing wrong. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    He wasn't, be was the one the accusation was made about, and that's why he was ejected
  • Options
    Marko Marosi is a Slovak; why do I believe that some/one of the moronic fans who follow Cafc believe that is in Russia ?
    Some of the shit that comes from the mouths of our critics/fans is amazing and that's aimed at Charlton players let alone the away team.

I don't believe anyone who goes to work should be abused; including Footballers. Boo if you must but for a keeper to inform a ref of being sworn at by a fan who I would imagined kept doing it and mentioned his country as well ( or what the moron thought was his Country) then pleased that it was dealt with. "Only a bit of banter" said potty mouth fan when up before the break.

Can anyone who was in earshot confirm what was said ?
    Put the words in speech marks !

We won't shoot the messenger.
    I know a female supporter who sits here by and says it’s a father and son who basically are vile individuals and basically been getting away with comments all season .. … 

• Options
    Not surprising. I’ve become quite disillusioned with our away support (I don’t get to many home games) and a lot of the morons that are part of it these days. People have forgotten how to behave in public. Ban him for life.