Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club Statement on Discriminatory Abuse

Comments

• Options
    Not commenting on the club’s reaction to this incident, but Matt Wright wrote in VOTV about the club’s failure to address deteriorating behaviour back in March. I’m not saying that morons respond to public warnings but they do establish a baseline and give fans generally reassurance that the club is aware of and committed to taking action.

The abuse text number is part of a national EFL initiative that the club was behind others in taking forward. I know Mick Everett has had to deal with loads of this crap this season, but the lack of leadership on the ground has definitely been a factor in the overall inadequate response. 
    There is no way you can blame the club for this .. 
    apart from the completely incorrect statement they put out? 
  • Options
    I don’t go on the OS immediately after matches so am unclear if any club statement was on there or some other conduit.

• Options
    So if nobody has been arrested how can the charges have been dropped? Charges against who?
  • Options
    Not commenting on the club’s reaction to this incident, but Matt Wright wrote in VOTV about the club’s failure to address deteriorating behaviour back in March. I’m not saying that morons respond to public warnings but they do establish a baseline and give fans generally reassurance that the club is aware of and committed to taking action.

The abuse text number is part of a national EFL initiative that the club was behind others in taking forward. I know Mick Everett has had to deal with loads of this crap this season, but the lack of leadership on the ground has definitely been a factor in the overall inadequate response. 
    There is no way you can blame the club for this .. 
    The club cannot be blamed for moronic/scumbag behaviour.

What the club can do is how the respond to the incident.  They were lacking in several areas on this.
  • Options
    Must admit if being perfectly honest I struggle with some of this stuff. 

I’m not an abusive person in any way and like the vast majority of us I’ve been educated and conditioned (and very grateful) that race, sexuality and religion are taboo levels of characterisation that are now very much deemed unacceptable levels of targeting in society. And I’m pretty confident that if there was an incident that involved those factors in any of our stands there would be enough around them who would not tolerate it and ensure it is dealt with (in some form at the time or following).

But other forms, nationality, physical characteristics (weight, height, hair / lack of) etc I struggle a bit to take as seriously in a football crowd context. Opposing players are always likely to attract some level of abuse, that’s part of the game that I don’t think will ever be fully expunged. Perhaps I’m being a bit of a dinosaur, who knows.

I’ve no idea what was said or whether it was beyond the acceptable levels. Seeing it was a white European it looked clear that it was neither race or religion based. Given it’s stoppage and handling made it appear a VERY serious incident, Because of that, I’d have hoped through the clubs, player, or from those nearby more information would have come out by now. It feels very sketchy. 

I’m loathe to criticise though in case what was said WAS completely unacceptable. 
    Seriously? 
  • Options
    I expect that as a goalkeeper he is used to regular abuse from opposition fans. I expect he has heard all sorts and been called all sorts.

Seems to me that for him to react like this means something has been said that crossed the lines of acceptability. Something that went beyond what he is normally subjected to.

It appears the club haven’t covered themselves in glory thus far and need to put that right. Once investigated Sandgaard will need to put out a statement like he does about many other things.
  • Options
    What I think was wrong was the Ref holding the game up for so long. Talk to Stewards etc, yes, make a report of what he was  told after , yes, but he left the Keeper rowing with fans and other players then joined in and it escalated. And not for a minute or two, for ages! 
    Turns out the ref would not re start the game until the people who made the comment was removed.  It took ages as no capable stewards of doing this job appeared for ages. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What I think was wrong was the Ref holding the game up for so long. Talk to Stewards etc, yes, make a report of what he was  told after , yes, but he left the Keeper rowing with fans and other players then joined in and it escalated. And not for a minute or two, for ages! 
    He's obliged to report it to the club's safety officer and police (if present) before the game restarts. He appeared to follow protocols. Once he reported it to Mick Everett he restarted the game.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Watched it on telly and assumed something racist or xenophobic had been reported. Not surprising. Always a few arseholes in football stadiums. What was more surprising and disappointing was the crowd reaction after and the way the keeper was targeted afterwards. Millwallesque and Shrewsbury's statement is quite generous I reckon.
    It took 4 pages, which is 3 more than I thought it would. So, well done you.

Take our name out of your mouth and own it. This one's on you.
    You're not supposed to care...
  • Options
    The club being blamed is a bit off. The keeper identified the wrong person. The referee would not restart the game until the person was ejected , which led to the wrong guy being chucked out.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    What I don’t really get is why there’s so much anger and nastiness. I certainly when I was younger used to dish out abuse to opposing players and fans, but it was never done with any hate. So many people seem so angry nowadays, I don’t get why?
    Inadequacy.

Seeing blokes in their 50s screaming blue murder at bemused 19 year old kids warming up by the corner flag each week is tragic.

The younger ones have some warped idea of what being a football lad is which just involves screaming c*** at everyone and everything every 30 seconds and throwing bottles, coins and seats regardless of whether it hits any of the kids or other fans in the vicinity.

State of most of them as well...usually skinny as a rake or bordering on sumo wrestler physique.

Most would get ironed out one on one against a professional footballer and would unlikely get in a ring on their Todd's without being tanked up and on the marching powder.

Thing is they see themselves as "proper" and all that bollocks. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Proper cringes.
    Doncaster away we had a section that spent the entire match goading some kids and whatever adults were accompanying them - looked like coaches and a youth side.

Resulted in the kids being moved with was no doubt classed as win in their heads 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    What I don’t really get is why there’s so much anger and nastiness. I certainly when I was younger used to dish out abuse to opposing players and fans, but it was never done with any hate. So many people seem so angry nowadays, I don’t get why?
    Inadequacy.

Seeing blokes in their 50s screaming blue murder at bemused 19 year old kids warming up by the corner flag each week is tragic.

The younger ones have some warped idea of what being a football lad is which just involves screaming c*** at everyone and everything every 30 seconds and throwing bottles, coins and seats regardless of whether it hits any of the kids or other fans in the vicinity.

State of most of them as well...usually skinny as a rake or bordering on sumo wrestler physique.

Most would get ironed out one on one against a professional footballer and would unlikely get in a ring on their Todd's without being tanked up and on the marching powder.

Thing is they see themselves as "proper" and all that bollocks. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Proper cringes.
    Completely this. 
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    I’ve been going since 1975. And whilst I don’t think we should all stab each other and throw bananas on the pitch. Where the game is now and most of the outrage (fake or otherwise) on here and players being offended at being called names (boo boo)that I don’t go much any more means I’m not sure I’ll go much at all. It’s shit, this fascist witch hunt mentality.though police bollocks.  There must be a middle ground surely.
    Middle ground between throwing bananas and what? Not throwing bananas? I don't know...waving bananas? Still seems quite racist. 
    Manchester City fans go bananas in the RRE looking towards  Flickr
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I’ve been going since 1975. And whilst I don’t think we should all stab each other and throw bananas on the pitch. Where the game is now and most of the outrage (fake or otherwise) on here and players being offended at being called names (boo boo) means the fact that I don’t go much any more means I’m not sure I’ll go much at all. It’s shit, this fascist witch hunt mentality.though police bollocks.  There must be a middle ground surely.
    Yep 1975 is about right....I was a 3-4 years before that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cloudworm said:
    He's obliged to report it to the club's safety officer and police (if present) before the game restarts. He appeared to follow protocols. Once he reported it to Mick Everett he restarted the game.
    I heard that he told the club that he would not restart the game until those fans were removed.
  • Options
    Must admit if being perfectly honest I struggle with some of this stuff. 

I’m not an abusive person in any way and like the vast majority of us I’ve been educated and conditioned (and very grateful) that race, sexuality and religion are taboo levels of characterisation that are now very much deemed unacceptable levels of targeting in society. And I’m pretty confident that if there was an incident that involved those factors in any of our stands there would be enough around them who would not tolerate it and ensure it is dealt with (in some form at the time or following).

But other forms, nationality, physical characteristics (weight, height, hair / lack of) etc I struggle a bit to take as seriously in a football crowd context. Opposing players are always likely to attract some level of abuse, that’s part of the game that I don’t think will ever be fully expunged. Perhaps I’m being a bit of a dinosaur, who knows.

I’ve no idea what was said or whether it was beyond the acceptable levels. Seeing it was a white European it looked clear that it was neither race or religion based. Given it’s stoppage and handling made it appear a VERY serious incident, Because of that, I’d have hoped through the clubs, player, or from those nearby more information would have come out by now. It feels very sketchy. 

I’m loathe to criticise though in case what was said WAS completely unacceptable. 
    Remember "No Irish, No blacks, no dogs"

• Options
    On the train to the ground, a group of people got on at Blackheath and sang a couple of sectarian songs (f*ck the Pope etc)

They weren't in obvious colours so I wasn't sure whether they were Charlton, Salap or ANO...
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Croydon said:
    Inadequacy.

The younger ones have some warped idea of what being a football lad is which just involves screaming cunt at everyone and everything every 30 seconds and throwing bottles, coins and seats regardless of whether it hits any of the kids or other fans in the vicinity.

Proper cringes.
    Doncaster away we had a section that spent the entire match goading some kids and whatever adults were accompanying them - looked like coaches and a youth side.

Resulted in the kids being moved with was no doubt classed as win in their heads 
    At Cambridge last Tuesday there was a ball girl in front of the away stand. When she got up to get the ball at one point, one of our brightest brains at the back of the stand decided to scream “Hurry up you slag”.

This was to a girl who could have been no more than 15-16.

Some people will say and do anything to try and impress their mates, and that is amplified by whatever they’ve decided to consume in the build up to a game. 

90% of our fans are absolutely brilliant all of the time, but we do have some proper helmets who try to play up to a role they think they need to portray.

@RodneyCharltonTrotta summed it up perfectly.
    I was there, too. I heard it as "kick it you c@#t" (she threw the ball weakly to MacG). I was heartened by the fact that he was called out by various people around him. 

Same bloke (I think) also shouted a comment involving the word poof.  He then joked  "oh, that's unacceptable now...sorrryyyyy"

Only bringing this up as somebody else did

For me, both deserving of being booted out. Understand that others will disagree....but.... is this just about opinions? 
  • Options
    “We're the middle children of the history man, no purpose or place. We have no Great war, no Great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars, but we won't...and we're slowly learning that fact...and we're very very pissed off”

Tyler Durden
    Packed out train
    Like a tin of sardines
    Doors wide open
    But nobody leaves
    More piling 'til you can't breathe
    Yeah, you're angry
    You're angry
    And you don't know why

Kid Kapichi
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Cloudworm said:
    Watched it on telly and assumed something racist or xenophobic had been reported. Not surprising. Always a few arseholes in football stadiums. What was more surprising and disappointing was the crowd reaction after and the way the keeper was targeted afterwards. Millwallesque and Shrewsbury's statement is quite generous I reckon.
    It took 4 pages, which is 3 more than I thought it would. So, well done you.

Take our name out of your mouth and own it. This one's on you.
    You're not supposed to care...
    The song references people not liking us and us not caring. It doesn't, at any stage, reference snide, innacurate, half arsed and ill thought out comments by weird deflectionists.

For the record, I don't care. I just chose to call out an idiotic statement.
    But it was Millwallesque. Yes, it’s the fault of the  Charlton supporters involved. No one is saying it isn’t. But it is Millwall-like behaviour. Surely you can see that?
  • Options
    As for @AFKABartram not being abusive, he told me to f*** off once.
    That’s because you said you were taller than him.
    He'd knock me out for that.