Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club Statement on Discriminatory Abuse

Comments

• Options
    I’ve been going since 1975. And whilst I don’t think we should all stab each other and throw bananas on the pitch. Where the game is now and most of the outrage (fake or otherwise) on here and players being offended at being called names (boo boo) means the fact that I don’t go much any more means I’m not sure I’ll go much at all. It’s shit, this fascist witch hunt mentality.though police bollocks.  There must be a middle ground surely.
  • Options
    Why did it take approx 6/7 minutes for the stewards to get involved? The bigger question must be why did the police not move from their site at the south/west quadrant?

Im sure I saw the guy who was taken out run back in once we scored! It wasn’t even the guy in the grey cap who was being pointed out by the players.

So many questions and it’s embarrassing. 
    Would you leave your hospitality box to get involved when there are Stewards on minimum wage?
  • Options
    This "doesn't want to press charges" thing is bollocks. I think the keeper has been watching too much poor police drama on TV.

It is not his choice. He is not the Police or the Crown Prosecution Service!

If he is saying he will not co-operate with the police in the event that they ask him for a witness statement, that is an entirely different matter. As it would likely preclude prosecution for lack of evidence. (And that makes the whole "report abuse text number" thing into something of highly questionable benefit, as it relies upon witness co-operation.) 

BTW,  the grass up "hate" announcement seems to be very carefully worded. It says your report will be handed "discretely". What it clearly doesn't say is that your text and consequently your 'phone number will be provided to the police who will want a witness statement from you. (Because without it there can be no prosecution can there?)  So, as someone who doesn't have much belief that the Met has the capability of handling sensitive information with any degree of professionalism, I'd stay well away from taking myself down that road thank you very much.

• Options
    cfgs said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    So does anyone (without going into explicit detail) have any insight into what non-racist discrimination consists of to be worthy of arrest?
    Based on nationality, rather than race?
    Is that an arrestible offence? Genuine question.
     Descrimination still. 
    Yeah just checked the CPS website and calling someone for their nationality is in there in the football chant section 
    so if somebody called me English that would be classed as discrimination? or does it have to have a derogative term afterwards? adding the word tosser after the word English for example?   
    Has to be threatening or abusive based on race, colour, nationality or national origin. So yeah I'd guess you'd need a derogative term in there to make it an offence 
    I bet that happens alot in other leagues especially in the UK.
    Does that make it OK?
  • Options
    There is no place for racism or discrimination in our society. 

Do we now live in a football world where a player can stop a game and have a fan arrested without evidence ?

If so, be prepared for the announcement “ the 4th official has indicated that there will be 25 additional minutes”

We have to police this stuff among ourselves in the crowd, otherwise games could take hours. 
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
    So does anyone (without going into explicit detail) have any insight into what non-racist discrimination consists of to be worthy of arrest?
     Descrimination still. 
    Yeah just checked the CPS website and calling someone for their nationality is in there in the football chant section 
    so if somebody called me English that would be classed as discrimination? or does it have to have a derogative term afterwards? adding the word tosser after the word English for example?   
    Has to be threatening or abusive based on race, colour, nationality or national origin. So yeah I'd guess you'd need a derogative term in there to make it an offence 
    Does that make it OK?
    No I was implying it probably happens alot and it should be treated the same, but then as a white English bloke in my 40s if I were called an English _ _ _ _ I would probably laugh.  Xenophobia and racism do need treating harshly but taking the piss out of someone's nationality will never be the same as  deriding the colour of their skin.  Both are bad but one is based in superior feeling of one group so they can use the others as a disposable commodity.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Smithy said:
    Booing and singing ‘he’s gonna cry in a minute’ when there was quite clearly something serious going on seemed seriously dense to me at the time 
    So serious that the police arent investigating and the player isnt pursuing it? Something just doesn’t seem right about this
    I would like to think if something was disgusting racially said then people would have pointed them out straight away. We’ve all been to games when someone has done something and almost everyone around them has pointed them out and they are removed immediately. The lack of response around that area by fans seemed bizarre, because for the keeper to have heard it whilst we were on the attack must have been quite a loud comment. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Smithy said:
    Booing and singing ‘he’s gonna cry in a minute’ when there was quite clearly something serious going on seemed seriously dense to me at the time 
    So serious that the police arent investigating and the player isnt pursuing it? Something just doesn’t seem right about this
    That isn't  the issue...something happened which was abusive and probably racist. The chant that followed is exactly what morons would do or support. When Bonne was abused by the Leeds keeper it was called put in the same way.
    The police are not pursuing it because  the recipient dropped any charges, allegedly. That doesn't stop the club banning the moron (s) concerned and it doesn't stop the referee making a report which could conceivably lead to an offending club being made to play behind closed doors. Then we all suffer.

It was Leko not Bonne.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Watched it on telly and assumed something racist or xenophobic had been reported. Not surprising. Always a few arseholes in football stadiums. What was more surprising and disappointing was the crowd reaction after and the way the keeper was targeted afterwards. Millwallesque and Shrewsbury's statement is quite generous I reckon.
    I think it was all odd, the delay caused the aggravation especially as the Charlton players seemed to be trying to get the keeper to go back into the goal and nobody had a clue what was going on. Most of the chanting came from the upper tier and they had no idea what was going on below.  Most probably regret the chants now though.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    cfgs said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Croydon said:
     Descrimination still. 
    Does that make it OK?
    No I was implying it probably happens alot and it should be treated the same, but then as a white English bloke in my 40s if I were called an English _ _ _ _ I would probably laugh.  Xenophobia and racism do need treating harshly but taking the piss out of someone's nationality will never be the same as  deriding the colour of their skin.  Both are bad but one is based in superior feeling of one group so they can use the others as a disposable commodity.
    Am also a white bloke in his 40s
    Like you, no doubt, I grew up with jokes about e.g. other hone nations nationalities being the norm. 

Now I reflect on how this was not actually ok. In the same way, I was uncomfortable with some of the stick Roland was getting in association with his nationality. We can voice an opinion of how much of an "idiot" an individual is without bringing nationality into it. 

I guess you are right that there is a difference between abusing somebody for their race and doing so for their nationality. For me - and the law, it seems - neither are ok.... despite the norms you and I grew up with...

It is a positive step for us to evolve away from this particular norm of the past...

...not that I expect the ageing demographic on Charlton Life to include a significant number of people who agree
    I do agree with you. 
  • Options
    If the club haven’t already convened or aren’t convening a lessons learned and action plan meeting soonest to address any similar situation being dealt with more effectively and swiftly should it ever arise in future (I hope not), it needs to give itself a long hard look. Words in programmes, text numbers on a screen are one thing, actions when such situations arise is what the club and we as fans will be judged upon.

A mess start to finish by the looks of it and not something we want to be associated with. We have been better than that for all the time I have supported the club.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Smithy said:
    That isn't  the issue...something happened which was abusive and probably racist. The chant that followed is exactly what morons would do or support. When Bonne was abused by the Leeds keeper it was called put in the same way.
    The police are not pursuing it because  the recipient dropped any charges, allegedly. That doesn't stop the club banning the moron (s) concerned and it doesn't stop the referee making a report which could conceivably lead to an offending club being made to play behind closed doors. Then we all suffer.

That isn't how policr charges work in this country. Doesn't matter if someone wants to 'press charges' or not. How do you know it was racist? The one man who made the claim is no longer pursuing it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On a seperate point, Once again, there hundreds / thousands there yesterday on freebies who were not regular Charlton / football visitors. It’s really not a good look in attracting potential families when a ref stops a game for 6 minutes for something that looks very serious. 
  • Options
    What I don’t really get is why there’s so much anger and nastiness. I certainly when I was younger used to dish out abuse to opposing players and fans, but it was never done with any hate. So many people seem so angry nowadays, I don’t get why?
    I think (and hope) that this season we’ve reached peak aggro for a long while. Hoping that next season things calm down a bit. It definitely seems to cross a line (home and away) on an all too regular basis at the moment.

Re the incident itself, I assumed something had been thrown (there was a plastic bottle lying just off of the pitch, near to the goal). Never crossed my mind that the ‘keeper had been racially abused. I’m still not really clear on what actually happened. 
  • Options
    The plastic bottle beside the left hand post as you look at it from the Covered End had been nudged there a short time earlier by a Shrewsbury player who had taken a swig during a break in play, he had (as they all do) tossed it aside but it landed too near the goal line, so he moved it further back.
    I saw it clearly, it was not a missile that had been thrown.
  • Options
    It's really hard to comment on the incident, as I don't know what was said, but it was confusing for everyone in the stadium why it took so long to resolve, and why the police didn't get involved

From the halfway line, it just appeared as if nothing happened afterwards, except that the fans behind the goal got livelier...
  • Options
    Duh duh duh duh……we don’t care.