Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Don't I entirely agree with him being told over the phone If I am honest. I think he deserved a little more than that after 12 years.
    To be honest, if I'd finished work ahead of going on a break and I was asked to come in just so I could be told I was getting sacked  I'd be pretty pissed off. If I'm getting off my sofa on a day off it had better be worth it!
  • Options
    Maybe TS should let someone else appoint the next one. Losing interest in this club fast.
    What he should of done months ago was employ a proper CEO who could give him good advice on all things football. 
    He won't though as he thinks he's cleverer than everyone else. 
    Spot on , Steve.

Sorry to have missed you at Ipswich & learnt on Sunday evening what REALLY happened ( or didn't !) In Blackpool, 1972 !

Have a great summer x
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Conerning if correct he has been sacekd becuase JJ opnion on how to get promoted does not aling with TS. 

I am starting to have concerns on how much TS belives him and MS know. 
    TS has also watched every game JJ has been in charge. I'm sure that was 95% of the reason behind it. Shocking football. 
    We play shocking football because we have a shocking squad. You could put Pep in charge of this lot and I don't think we would see much difference.
    Disagree, the squad is better than 13th.
    Silly point, as Jackson took over this dreadful team when we're in the bottom 4.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Blimey that’s a genuine surprise. Although does go some way to explaining the contract situations…

Will never understand the complaints about the style of football. We are in League One. In League One it’s never been pretty. Under Powell, under Bowyer. Look at Wigan and Rotherham this season. Both played 3-5-2 with big lumps at either end of the pitch.

If we want to take the MK Dons route here, it’s going to be a long old road and many years of getting it wrong before it all clicks. No doubt it’s probably the better choice in the long term but it’s risky.
    For me personally I can't say I agree with this. Rothertham for instance are very direct, but I wouldn't say they were not pretty to watch - they don't just lump it up to Smith in hope he gets a knock down to another forward player. The often moved the ball very quickly through the thirds, and if not possible, the direct ball up to Smith was played with a lot more quality than just hit and hope, and normally found him moving into a channel where he could bring it down and play other runners overlapping him into play quickly.

We never had that. Our long balls were usually to Stockley who would drop a little deeper, in the centre of the pitch, and basically head it to no one - or get the ball out to the wings and try and get a cross in. It was horrible to watch, and often left us getting turned over easily with players out of position.
    I will respond to that with three words: Famewo, Gilbey and Stockley.

We can’t play accurate long balls up to the striker when Famewo hoofs it.

We can’t play quickly through the thirds when Gilbey has the worst first touch and pass that I’ve seen in a Charlton shirt for a while.

We can’t have Stockley bring it down intelligently and bring others into play around him for a couple of reasons… 1. he isn’t very good at it 2. it’s usually only Washington that’s anywhere near supporting him.
    Why did Adkins last season have us playing good, direct football with all 3 of those in the starting line-up? 
    That’s a myth. The football under Adkins was bad. Here’s what you posted almost a year ago after we drew 1-1 at Accrington with a last minute Aneke equaliser…

“ Even if we do end up in the play-offs at the end of the season, I don't want to see most of these players in the first 11 next season. 

We need to sign a lot lot better this summer.”

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4302946/#Comment_4302946

I don't notice any comment about the style of football being poor there? 

Or the formation being bad? 

Mostly the players weren't up to a promotion challenge. Which is correct. 

Adkins got the best out of those players, he was then given a weakened squad the season after. 

Jackson, although improved the PPG, did not really show he could make the best of what he's given with. The style of football is possibly the worst i've seen and it looked like they didn't train. 
  • Options
    Warburton

beale - villa

edwards - FGR

Taylor - exeter

duff - cheltenham

deffo names i would hope we would be looking at and interviewing 

I dont want deffo after he left us as a teenager.......sorry everyone
    Ha
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If the notion of new manager bounce is true we will have a good start to next season!
    Maybe.
  • Options
    Terry Skiverton has left the club also.
    ANOTHER one that lasted long.

FFS.   Comedy.   If JJ appointed him, more fool him.   If TS appointed him, more fool us.

• Options
    i must admit I don’t get why people are stating that they are shocked by the decision, surely everyone watching our football teams performance and final league position would see the idea of sacking JJ wasn’t beyond the realms of possibility, unless you’d been living in a cupboard with no contact with the outside world for the last however many months. This decision is not in the slightest a shock!!. It is sad and disappointing that a loyal guy to our club hasn’t been able to take an opportunity to make it a success with us. 
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:

“I obviously did not interfere with team selections for the games but I’m very convinced that more pressing high up on the pitch would give us a higher probability of getting promoted,” the Dane continued.

Quotes like this form TS are coming more and more concerning. Who is advising of this, his son the guru of football? I would understand if it this was coming from a director of football or technical director who has football experience.

I am starting to get uneasy with how this is starting to play out. TS is well intended but I fear he is so confident in his own ability and stubborn to change.

I think they've looked at the stats and seen that high press teams do do better, we stopped the high press once Jackson got the full time job and became a low block team (maybe Washington being injured didn't help). TS has always said if you go back, that he wants someone to come in and play high press high tempo football 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Darren Ferguson 4/1
    Mark Warburton 5/1
    Lee Johnson 6/1 (please no)
    Roy Keane 8/1
    Neil Harris 8/1
    Michael Appleton 8/1
    Lee Bowyer 12/1
    Michael Beale 12/1
    Michael Duff 14/1
    John Eustace 14/1
    Rob Page 16/1
    Sean Dyche 16/1
    Mark Bonner 16/1
    Michael Carrick 20/1
    David Unsworth 20/1
    25/1 everyone else

• Options
    Maybe TS should let someone else appoint the next one. Losing interest in this club fast.
    What he should of done months ago was employ a proper CEO who could give him good advice on all things football. 
    He won't though as he thinks he's cleverer than everyone else. 
    Spot on , Steve.

Sorry to have missed you at Ipswich & learnt on Sunday evening what REALLY happened ( or didn't !) In Blackpool, 1972 !

Have a great summer x
    Have a great summer yourself Jean. 
    See you next season  xx
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I'm disappointed it hasn't worked out for JJ and wish him all the best but equally think TS has made the right decision. I'm in the camp that TS was effectively forced to appoint JJ because of the start he had and the clamour from the fans for him to do so but don't think he was really his pick.

As for a successor, I think Beale must be right up there and Duff at Cheltenham has impressed this season.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    That article confirms that Skiverton has left, but Euell stays

Coach Terry Skiverton has also left the club, but Jackson’s former assistant Jason Euell and ogalkeeping coach Glyn Shimell are set to remain at the Valley.
    How long was skiverton at Yeovil for?  I bet he is glad he left!
  • Options
    As I said last summer.......not a lot of difference between TS and RD. Change managers as quickiy as they change their socks. Only problem is that TS doesn't have a network to give us the likes of Watt, JBG, Bulot & Sarr. Big money needs to be spent this summer in that case.
  • Options
    if the rumours he was sacked by phone are true, then that's piss poor form - not to have the bollocks to do it to his face.

Absolutely correct. But listen to JJs full interview with @LouisMend on Sunday. I’m convinced he knew. Unless he was just pissed. 

I've listened again and I really don't think he did. Spoke at quite a bit at length about his plans for the future with us
  • Options
    Has everyone missed that earlier post about TS bringing in an american manager? 

• Options
    kimbo said:
    Good god, renewed season tickets at 13:53 -not sure i would have don't that without Jackson

In contrast, as soon as I heard Jackson had been shown the door
    I went on line and renewed my two season tickets.

I vowed not to renew them while Jackson remained as our manager.

I couldn’t take any more of his football.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Big Call from our rock n roll owner, brave or foolish decision? Only time will tell but the buck firmly stops with you Tommy ! I hope you know what your doing and have lined up a manager to get us out of League One. Charlton fans won't except anything less than promotion next season. Good luck Jacko, you will always be a Charlton legend. 
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    Love Jacko, and he ultimately led us to safety after a disastrous start.

However, I've found myself questioning a lot of his decisions, and it became apparent that the new manager bounce carried us during his early reign.

Was a tough decision, but I think Sandgaard has got this one right. Fingers crossed.
    In fact that does not stack up as under JJ we won 60% of our last 10 games from March- but JJ took over back in October!