Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    Good decision 
  • Options

Asked if he would appoint a head coach or manager next time, Sandgaard said: “Obviously the coach is very important. If we can find someone that is a really good coach and can help drive more intensity into the training and drive the right mentality into the players – and a playing style that might not be as stiff , a bit more fluid than what we have right now; maybe be better how we press and formation flexibility etc.

“We need someone who is a good man-manager and good at keeping the dressing room under control, which was not Johnnie’s problem at all.

“Some people are good coaches and some people are good managers. Ideally we find a combination of people or one person who can give us all those qualities.”

First paragraph seems like a very succinct way of explaining why Jackson got the boot. 

If you want a coach to implement a playing style then they also need input into personnel. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    A couple of quick points

I still can't believe how many people on social media have take it so personally.  Like Jackson was a member of their family.

Secondly TS's comments refirm my belief that Roddy wasn't the driving force of the "Charlton style".  He was doing what he was told. 
    Seen talk of sending renewed STs back for refunds 😂
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Appleton may be in the running especially as he has just left Lincoln. Then we could finally see that picture that keeps being put on here, for good reason 
    he took over a good squad after the Cowleys went .. hard act to follow but the team has been in decline after a good last season .. he's had too many jobs without a great deal of success .. not for me though his teams do try to play attractive football
    Most of that squad left, so that the 2020/21 squad was very much his side. The Cowleys play more functional football
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    WSS said:
    Strange that Euell is hanging around.
    I am glad actually.
    He has never seemed to fit the mold of a person with hunger for power.
    He has diversified with a bit of England work, he was excellent here at U23 level, and hasn't acted 'politically' when there have been opportunities at Charlton, but been loyal.
    I would see Jason being appointed as a similar 'risk' to appointing the Cambridge bloke.
    If Euell became our manager my fear is that it might tarnish something we have held dear, as indeed is what has happened with Jacko.
    Loyal?  He applied for the Wimbledon job last time it came up.  
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Hopefully the new bloke was lined up a while ago along with looking at HIS OWN targets. If not then it's groundhog day.

Sad way for JJ to bow out after all we've been through with him.

Right decision, it's the decisions that follow this one that will be the acid test.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saddened and shocked, but it's a good decision, and the right time.  

Thanks for everything in every stage of your Charlton career Johnnie. 
  • Options
    JonT_Abs said:
    I'm gutted for him but can't help feeling it was totally self inflicted 

Playing 352 every week, without the players to do so, was a very strange hill to choose to die on. 
    I agree with this.

352 may well be a good system if you have the players to do it, but we didn't.
    He played either attacking wingers that weren't good at defending and/or full backs that weren't any good over the half way line (barring a few decent crosses/tackles).

Furthermore, he left out central defenders, when he needed 3, to play full backs and midfielders in central defence.

It stopped working when he was appointed full time and yet he carried on regardless.

The players are poor and a lot of the problems were down to them, but a very good manager gets players performing better than the sum of their parts.

Jacko had them performing worse than the sum of their parts.

Jacko did ok, he wasn't a failure, but he wasn't a great success.

Did anyone on CL think we were getting promoted next season?

However, TS absolutely must make a top appointment now, someone like Warburton.
  • Options
    Expecting another "corporate" style manager appointment, like Adkins. Thats the background that TS comes from, its what he knows, and the language is the same from one big buisness to another. But in Div1 -its not what our fans want (my guess).
  • Options
    Thank you for the memoirs. Thanks for the last 12 years. You will always be a Charlton Legend in my eyes
  • Options
    I am not shocked by his departure but am still upset by it.
    I consider JJ in the same way as I do SCP. Both club legends and great servants to Charlton but needed to move on.
    Good luck JJ your always be welcomed back at the Valley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Warburton

beale - villa

edwards - FGR

Taylor - exeter

duff - cheltenham

deffo names i would hope we would be looking at and interviewing 

I reckon he'll bring in a Dane, possibly go mad and bring in somebody from America.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Addick_8 said:
    “We have potential managers out of jobs and others who could be convinced to come here. It depends who we talk to. The process could be relatively short or we might go very close up to pre-season.” 

How is this even an option? After the complete disaster last season leaving everything too late how can we even explore the possibility of leaving it late... again! 
    Doing it once and learning from the mistake is fine, do it again the following year and that is nothing short of ignorance

I've been pretty defensive of TS but this is stupid - especially after telling the press last season we left it too late in pre-season!
    Maybe he'll get the players in early before appointing the new manager as he and his son obviously are better equipped to deal with recruitment and the new manager/head coach will have to make do - what could possibly go wrong!

The timing of this sacking only makes sense if he already had someone lined up.

This does not bode well
    Agreed, that is what I thought but now I am not convinced that is the case.
    Also, what player is going to join a club if they don't know who the Manager/Head Coach might be? 
    Desperate ones.. that's who
  • Options
    When JJ was caretaker wasn't TS considering other options before making JJ permanent? If so, he may have somebody in mind that he could get in quickly, but if that doesn't work out then it figures that looking for somebody else from scratch will take longer. 
  • Options
    JJ you deserved better than this,sacked by phone,utterly shameful,go home,get the J200 out have a good strum,and forget this farce.You will come back stronger and will be back in  football before you know it.
  • Options
    Jackson will always be welcome back at the Valley but I simply wasn't going to return until he was moved on. The style of play was too painful to endure.

A new manager has renewed my optimism for next season. Maybe we get the right one, maybe we get the wrong one but at least we have a chance now. A continuation of Jackson's methods did not auger well. It was a decision that had to be made and had to be made early, irrespective of whether someone has already been lined up. Obviously hope we get it right this time. At least now there is hope.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Time frame is odd, we needed early signings, and if the owners are to be believed we have been working on it for months.  That landscape just changed, so how do identified players feel about joining a managerless club with no idea who is coming in.  The search for a manager has started - what??  Assuming we are not looking for another dead loss like Adkins we need an appointment fast to get a short preseason in and get the players in we need.

as far as JJ is concerned, wrong decision, bad timing but I have lost faith in the back room and c suite.  He managed a crap team with injuries to their level - if he signed a contract that needed them to get to 8th, the. He must have known it wasn’t possible and would be gone in the summer.  Might explain the body language change pre and post appointment.

I have some major concerns, clubs that do this stuff can end up playing away at Woking
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:

“I obviously did not interfere with team selections for the games but I’m very convinced that more pressing high up on the pitch would give us a higher probability of getting promoted,” the Dane continued.

Quotes like this form TS are coming more and more concerning. Who is advising of this, his son the guru of football? I would understand if it this was coming from a director of football or technical director who has football experience.

I am starting to get uneasy with how this is starting to play out. TS is well intended but I fear he is so confident in his own ability and stubborn to change.

Why does someone have to be advising him? He's been doing the "Dave down the pub" football talk all season, the high press, not going for the long balls, he's talked about the training intensity, openly talks of his own involvement in the recruitment process and how him and Nige didn't see eye to eye on recruitment.

But, no, it couldn't possibly be true, not our Tommy, no way, was that bad Ged Roddy fella making him look like a fool. 

Perhaps, at the very least, people may have a more measured view in regards to the Sandgaard's now. 

Saying that, by the middle of June I expect the first itk training ground source telling us how that Colchester fella has Sandgaard's ear.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Absolutely shocked, whether people wanted it or not is one thing, never thought it would actually happen.  

Initial reaction, TS ain’t fuckin about this season it’s business.  To effectively sack a club legend who never left the building after playing is bold.  
    Or ego driven crackpottery 
    big mistake in my opinion, no chance to have a full pre-season and shape his own team

this'll come back to bite us on the arse
    Dead right

"the search for a new manager starts now"  this is all time wasted in the construction of next season's squad
    If finishing 8th or 10th or 6th was the benchmark for JJ's continuance then every day since that was unattainable has been casually wasted

Explains why nobody that the club might want to retain has been approached with a new offer - more wasted time.

If this has come out of the blue for the players same as it has for us it's gonna ensure that fewer will want to stay

Gratitude for even having this club to worry about, after douchebag and the rest had violated it, has now worn away completely
    TS has to get every decision between now and 30 July absolutely right first time or he'll make himself hugely unpopular with the faithful.

Airman will have even more material for September's intended swan song VOTV.  Hey Rick, just when you thought you could scrap the old gestetner... 

Do you not think TS has been making plans/having discussions for a new manager in the last month or longer?
  • Options
    The right decision has been made although I am concerned who is selecting his replacement.

I am more shocked at the amount of people on here that are shocked he has gone.