Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Have we considered appointing a black box as manager?

Would be cheap, consistent, anonymous and TS knows how to control it.

Ticks all the boxes. 

I have visions of them entering a darkened room, blindfolded, and drawing out random names from a black bag, but I might be getting myself confused with the player recruitment policy!

I jest of course. I'm sure they know what they're doing really and hoping we'll all be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

• Does this black box also tell you what went wrong after we fail to get promoted or crash into league 2. Like the ones they recover after a plane crash.
  • DA9 said:
    The other thing about interviews is they are generally instigated by an application. It is unusual for somebody to apply then reject.
    Happens more than you think, I’ve rejected job offers that I’ve applied for, didn’t feel right when meeting the people face to face, you sometimes get a feeling 
    I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that it is unusual.
  • DA9 said:
    The other thing about interviews is they are generally instigated by an application. It is unusual for somebody to apply then reject.
    Happens more than you think, I’ve rejected job offers that I’ve applied for, didn’t feel right when meeting the people face to face, you sometimes get a feeling 
    Shame, I think you'd have been a better manager than Dowie.
  • DA9 said:
    Seems everyone has forgotten how an interview process works, I’ve interviewed before, over 1-2 weeks, I didn’t give it to the first person I liked, I interviewed all the candidates that applied then assessed at the end with an offer, worked down the chain after that if the first choice declined. 
    Spot on .. plus if our main target was still involved at his club then you have to wait simple 

Once went for an interview. Was told should hear the next day. Heard nothing for two weeks. Then found out another candidate was on holiday and they had to wait until she returned to interview her also. Anyway after the wait, I was offered and accepted the job. Oddly the woman was also offered another job, but not before I was given first refusal. They had made the decision of who got first dibs once all of the interviews were concluded. 
    Are you keeping Jason as your number two or are you bringing in your own staff ?
  • If we are having difficulty finding the sort of manager Sandgaard said we were in for, maybe Euell should be the number one!
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Swisdom said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    cfgs said:
    Swisdom said:
    We may still be interviewing to give us alternatives / plan B in case plan A doesn’t accept or we just want to be thorough.  There were a LOT of applicants 

a new manager isn’t going to have made much impact with the previous season still ongoing so we’ve really not missed out on much I wouldn’t think.  The players are all away, the recruitment team are beavering away on an assortment of targets and things will get into action in a couple of weeks - presumably with a new manager in place by then.

until then I’m not alarmed.  If we are being thorough I am not alarmed.  If we have plenty of interest I am not alarmed

if lots of people are rejecting us, I’m alarmed but don’t believe this to be the case.

Everyone keep calm and listen to the voice of swisdom.
    The same voice who told us we should see how Paul Elliott gets on with running the club and later described him as a good egg?
    I think you may be mistaken.  I never met that Paul Elliott - I met the former central defender version (Richard Rufus’ mate)

all I’m likely to have said is to give the guy a chance. As with everything now people make a snap decision / I’d always prefer to judge for myself rather than what I’m told I should feel about someone.
    I also said to the Roland haters to “be careful what they wished for” and along came Southall - whom I also never met

the truth is there is a process ongoing, we haven’t missed out on anything and we need to wait and see how it ends.  On one hand people are pressuring the club to “get it right” and then in the next breath to “fucking get on with it”….I know which I would rather do

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/88469/cafc-bonkers-shenanigans-confidential-stuff-sra-investigation-clears-farnell-p1578/p1118
    Well done.

are you bored or something
  • JamesSeed said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    it’s a real shame that recently fans can’t seem to just post their concerns about the team, recruitment, TS, MS, which are all valid - without a vociferous minority sweepingly insulting or abusing CL or posters with whom they don’t agree.  We are not entitled, or comparing to previous shit owners, TS “bashers” or stupid, we are simply concerned fans.  TS is the owner, but has said and done some bizarre things which give cause for concern, and done some of those things very strangely.  His son knows SFA about football and an estimation of 10x the average sky viewer is an overestimate by about 10.  Recruitment and some of the back room structure is and continues to be an issue, concerns over management and new player recruitment are equally valid.  Let everyone have their say without sweeping generalizations or insults.  Doesn’t need to be that way just because some don’t agree.  It’s all opinion and conjecture and no-one on this forum has the “I’m always right” stick.
    The highlighted irony here is why people do sometimes get annoyed at fans posting their concerns. What do you honestly know about Martin Sandgaard, other than what you've decided you know about him? Unless you know him personally, I suspect very little. So why are you insulting his football knowledge? It's true, he might not even know what shape the ball they use is, but I think it's slightly more likely that you're making a sweeping assumption, barbed with an insult, based on conjecture, which is exactly what you're complaining about other people doing. I think I need a lie down actually, this might have finished me.
    Hope you are Okay after your lie down - you need it as your logic must be strangling you.  Your irony in pointing out the irony is well noted.  

Assuming very few of the people on here have worked for a professional football club or played or managed at a professional level, we all still post about players, managers, clubs, training, formation, tactics and share our views/concerns, but apparently someone with absolutely no football connection, no football CV and probably not posting on this forum is not fair game unless I am lifelong mates with him. 

That’s really your point to a post simply asking for a little more tolerance of different views?  Good grief. 

My original post has been deleted and the forum closed for me.  I hate social media, have no twitterverse accounts and this type of response definitely reinforces the view that people are better of without it.
    Jesus Christ. Of course we can all post opinions on tactics and players, but typically we have some concept of the things we're looking at. I don't think Albie Morgan is very good for instance, but I base that on what I've seen. Given that Martin Sandgaard is new on the scene I don't see how we can know anything about him (unless you know him, which is why I added that). Yet despite that you've stated that he 'knows SFA about football', and in the same breath complained that people are making assumptions. You can have reservations and concerns about what's going on at the club, I do too, but I just don't see on what basis you've claimed MS doesn't know anything about football, and the fact you've done that while moaning about people making assumptions is incredible to me, that's all. As for whatever you're talking about at the end there I have no idea. Can't help you with that.
    As your twisted logic turns into a pretzel, you may have noticed you completely missed the whole point of my original, now deleted post, in your zeal to do exactly what the post suggested would be better if we didn’t - I know right, lots of words.  I was asking for a level of tolerance of which you are clearly incapable.  The real blood pressure riser for you seems to be my throw away on MS not knowing about football.  Whereas  you can disparage a player who has over 100 more professional football appearances than you, I am guessing,  I am also fully entitled to my opinion (right or wrong) without you screaming about nonsense guide rails and imposing subjectivities - like I have to know him personally  to form an opinion - and likewise you are very welcome to your opinions on Morgan or anyone else. 

The difference being I wouldn’t be “Jesus Christing” all over the place about your opinion or introducing rules around how or why you form an opinion.  Tell you what, when MS is employed or headhunted by another professional football league side in any of the top 5 divisions I shall happily admit my assumptions around his football knowledge was wrong. how about that?  I’d also delete my original post if I hadn’t already done so.

Meantime I refer you to the main point of the post, rather than this ludicrous side track, but, to be fully frank, I really don’t give two tuppeny fucks what you think, it’s my opinion and I am Okay with it, thanks

Reply away, it will be ignored.
    Thank you, I enjoyed this. It was nonsense entirely, but I enjoyed it. You're talking about tolerance for opinions, which I can assure you everyone on here has, but the point I am making - over and over again sadly - is that you cannot possibly have any basis for your claim that Martin Sandgaard knows 'SFA about football'. It is purest conjecture based on nothing. People can have tolerance for an opinion based on something i.e. x player isn't good or 'I don't think hiring MS is a good idea based on his lack of footballing background' - a perfectly valid thing to think - but your claim that he doesn't know anything about football is completely baseless. Unless of course you've worked with him before and you can base that on something real. It's not a 'nonsense guide rail' to think that you should actually have some knowledge about something before you spaff your opinions all over a message board. I don't want you to admit your assumptions are wrong if he's great at his job, I want you to be happy that we've got a good person involved in signing our players! I wouldn't want you to delete your original post either, I just think you can't just brazenly state something like that about someone's knowledge without knowing a thing about him. You absolute loon.
    I don’t think I have ever read such complete bollocks wrapped in strangled logic, but if it makes you happy, you carry on.  What I do know is MS would not hold the job he has based on football knowledge and his CV in any other professional football club.  That’s a fact, and when it isn’t I’ll admit it. Meantime 1 throw away line has you bent double about MS for some reason, and just being a bit of a cock about it.  I don’t agree with you, you’re free not to agree with me but this constant drivel about a throw away line is quite laughable if it wasn’t so silly
     I thought you were meant to be ignoring me ;)
    I've heard from a reliable source than in a few months you'll probably stumble upon this argument and think, wtf.
    I'm pretty mystified right now
  • Never ask for feedback when you fail to land a job after any kind of interview or interview process.
  • edited May 2022
    Disagree.

This isn't an openly advertised role with salary range or other T & Cs set out.

So a manager or her agent might express an interest and then so "no" when the wages, length of contract and levels of control etc etc are discovered.

That was subtle Henry...Mmmm B)
    Hook, line and sinker?
  • Sponsored links:

• If we are having difficulty finding the sort of manager Sandgaard said we were in for, maybe Euell should be the number one!
    If the managers job is just coaching and integration of youth team players you could argue he is the obvious choice.
  • The other thing about interviews is they are generally instigated by an application. It is unusual for somebody to apply then reject.
    I have found myself in an interview hard on the heels of looking around and getting information.
    I decided that the working environment was unsuitable and I didn’t want to work there, but was kind of railroaded into an immediate interview in front of a panel.
    So I very pointedly answered one question by saying ‘If I were to be offered this job, and if I were to accept it…..’ in order to fashion a way out that would sit comfortably with everybody.
    The panel didn’t offer me the job thank goodness.
  • I wonder how many football league clubs are without a manager like us at the moment?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Disagree.

This isn't an openly advertised role with salary range or other T & Cs set out.

So a manager or her agent might express an interest and then so "no" when the wages, length of contract and levels of control etc etc are discovered.

That was subtle Henry...Mmmm B)
    Hook, line and sinker?

Don't beat yourself up about it James... ;)
  • The other thing about interviews is they are generally instigated by an application. It is unusual for somebody to apply then reject.
    Not sure that is necessarily the case, Muttley. If it is a case of salary and terms to be negotiated and you are offered much less than you think you are worth, or what you hear in the interview doesn't appeal, then you may well reject. 
  • DA9 said:
    Mate, it’s not unusual. Take it from me, I’m a headhunter. So every time it happened I was further away from earning a fee. Now it happens more often where the human element is crucial to performance. A pro football club is definitely one of that type.
  • seth plum said:
    I want to send best wishes to all candidates facing exams during this period of time, be they GCSE’s, A-levels, University finals and whatever. Also very best wishes to friends and families and especially teachers doing what they can to be supportive.
    It is a drag this phenomena takes place during hay fever season, and the format of examinations is questionable anyway, but most of all the amount of missed school and disruption that people have faced due to Covid makes these current exams pretty tough.

Just handed in my dissertation. ‘An analysis of how speculation and conjecture become facts worth fighting over within the Charlton Life paradigm.’
    Now that is impressive, presumably under the supervision of the University of Bologna?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    Have we considered appointing a black box as manager?

Would be cheap, consistent, anonymous and TS knows how to control it.

Ticks all the boxes. 

My problem is Mr Black Box knows all the stats but doesn't seem to realise who's partner has left, and the *player won't be able to see his daughter, he may be a loner, who doesn't mix well despite his stats saying he is at the top level with assists and goals for a midfielder in the division Cafc find their in; horse racing vernacular, a course and distance winner. 

Mr Black Box has no heart and no understanding of the human condition and the mood swings and the different personalities and how they treat the two imposters: triumph and disaster.  Not sure if that data is even allowed to be entered ?

" This is a fictional player just used for an example and any familiarity with any player is a coincidence.
  • Well Melbourne Victory lost for the first time after a club record run of 13 matches undefeated Beaten by new boys Western United managed by John Alloisi .So a prudent TS could pick up a manager of the future in Tony Popovich.now Melbourne Victory has come to an unexpected end. Mebe even alloisi The final next W E will be between Melbourne City (of the City group) and Western united who have reached the final in their 3rd year in the A League with a tenth of the budget that City have got. Two or  three youth players in this final that our scouts could watch
  • DA9 said:
    Mate, it’s not unusual. Take it from me, I’m a headhunter. So every time it happened I was further away from earning a fee. Now it happens more often where the human element is crucial to performance. A pro football club is definitely one of that type.
    Maybe it is just me thinking that side of the club is useless. Maybe it is well run and not obvious.
  • I wonder how many football league clubs are without a manager like us at the moment?
    Blackburn and QPR spring to mind - Burnley too if the bloke who replaced Dyche was only installed as a caretaker manager
  • Answering the original question:- I reckon if Jacko was gonna be sacked for not making 8th place, he was sacked weeks too late and the absence of succession planning is lunacy.  Whoever we end up with, it will be unjustifiably later than it should have been, and if the next incumbent accepts Thomas and Martin holding sway on personnel then said incumbent will not be the right man for the job and we'll see a minimum of two others by this time next year.
  • What's a Rangers forum got to do with anything?!