Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Not saying Garner would be a good or bad choice. I liked the idea of Beale as manager due to his connections, coaching & that he would have sufficient weight & stature to educate TS & MS about better ways to run the club & players he wanted to bring in. I understand that Beale arriving at Charlton as manager is unlikely, given interest further up & the budget he gets to work with. 

TS is well meaning but the apparent amateurish approach is a bit concerning. 
  • Some managers fail at certain clubs. Look at Brendan Rodgers with Reading. Plenty were ready to dismiss him as a coach after that.
    It’s a good point - most fail when they come to Charlton!
    Do you mean they get Charltonised?
  • This appointment sounds as if it’s done deal, the big question is why hasn’t it been confirmed? If the answer turns out to be to allow the owner to attend the unveiling that would be very concerning given the amount of work required to field a competitive squad. 
  • _MrDick said:
    Swindon fans on Twitter are calling him Poundland Pep  … that made me smile. Almost as good as a Brussell Slade

Following Jacamo Jackson and Lidl Lee.
  • As the first month of close season ends we are now further from our recruitment and preseason goal than we were at Ipswich. 

Meanwhile Conor Washington has successfully got promoted to the Championship because he wasn't good enough for League 1.
    Washington was other issues not football ..

• _MrDick said:
    Swindon fans on Twitter are calling him Poundland Pep  … that made me smile. Almost as good as a Brussell Slade

Following Jacamo Jobingson and Lidl Lee.

• IAgree said:
    This appointment sounds as if it’s done deal, the big question is why hasn’t it been confirmed? If the answer turns out to be to allow the owner to attend the unveiling that would be very concerning given the amount of work required to field a competitive squad. 
    I hope its not the reason but I really think it probably is, there is a lot of evidence so far that a lot of what he does and how goes about it to put himself in the lime light and massage his ego as much as he can. I just really hope he doesn't do that thing where he take his shades off Tom Cruise style at the presser :smile:
  • I’m not sure why people necessarily think Michael Beale would have “connections” over and above someone like Garner. In fact apart from Aston Villa now and previously Rangers who I doubt is a likely loan opportunity for Charlton I think Garner has probably better connections near the first team squads of WBA and Crystal Palace. Nothing to do with their individual merits as coaches but purely trying to nail this “connection” myth.
  • Sponsored links:

• As the first month of close season ends we are now further from our recruitment and preseason goal than we were at Ipswich. 

Meanwhile Conor Washington has successfully got promoted to the Championship because he wasn't good enough for League 1.

Snitcher!
  • edited May 2022
    _MrDick said:

That must be where Swisdom brother or brother in-law heard it from. 
    The thought that Pep could work with anything other that elite players is amusing.
    The nearest Pep gets to even average players is when they thrash Watford every time they play them.

I would love to watch a coaching session by Pep with Cafc players. He would blow a fuse and they would realize the high demands of being a top elite footballer.
    Listen to Barry's view and the contrast between Villa's training and when he went to City back in the day. Kyle Walker was chatting on radio 5 about how every training session matters and you have to turn up focused.

• Who would do the better coaching session with Charlton players, Pep or Martin?
  • edited May 2022

Pray tell, I've not heard that one?
  • I know a coach who went to Man City to coach there U12's, I heard recently he is now assistant coach to their U18's. He was aloof and difficult to talk too compared to a lot of the other young coaches. Maybe being harsh and concise with players got him the job at City. No comedy and flicking of ears. 

I haven't been critical of Ben Garner ever since his name popped up. Sounds similar to Michael Beale ( got into coaching young) other than Beale has worked with more gifted footballers but Beale has dived in and seen how being number 1 is so difficult as you take the flack more than coaches.
  • seth plum said:
    Who would do the better coaching session with Charlton players, Pep or Martin?
    I’m guessing Pep but that’s because he’s a football coach and Martin isn’t.
  • I know a coach who went to Man City to coach there U12's, I heard recently he is now assistant coach to their U18's. He was aloof and difficult to talk too compared to a lot of the other young coaches. Maybe being harsh and concise with players got him the job at City. No comedy and flicking of ears. 

I haven't been critical of Ben Garner ever since his name popped up. Sounds similar to Michael Beale ( got into coaching young) other than Beale has worked with more gifted footballers but Beale has dived in and seen how being number 1 is so difficult as you take the flack more than coaches.
    Do you mean Garner has “dived in” ?
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    Who would do the better coaching session with Charlton players, Pep or Martin?
    I’m guessing Pep but that’s because he’s a football coach and Martin isn’t.
    ……but, local knowledge innit.
  • Scoham said:

For very good specific reasons I’ve always been  wary of Bob Whitehand and his hot takes, and I’m not about to change my mind on the back of that one. Not everyone in football at the time would speak very positively about our Bob either, so lets just park this on the balance sheet opposite more positive feedback from people In Football. 
    As somebody that doesn’t know bob, it does seem he only pipes up when negative things are being put out there. Not so much when things are going ok. Now that could just be that I’ve missed various posts of optimism, and I’d apologise before hand if I’m wrong.
  • Charlton fans…

“this season and the football we’ve played is the worst I’ve ever seen”

”I can’t believe we’ve sacked the manager and let x players go - what is he thinking” 

“Garner - ridiculous decision, let’s protest”

”Why haven’t we appointed Garner - let’s get Garner in now!”

…and the above comes from the same people!

Everyone needs to relax and enjoy the ride. 

We have a club to support, the sun is shining, and compared to others in the world we don’t really have much to moan about. 

Since when has being a Charlton fan ever been easy!? Stop moaning, buy a season ticket and get behind whoever pulls on a Charlton shirt at the end of July!

COYR
    I think the same can be said for a lot of fans from a lot of clubs tbh. Fans are never really happy unless they have something to moan about. I know a Man City fan (from well before the money rolled in) and he moans about Pep not being the right man because he hasn’t delivered the champions league! FFS they were bumming around in the very same division as us not that long ago.
  • edited May 2022
    Trouble was the City guy from UAE really was a multi Billionaire with his own oil wells where our man from the middle East only had a credit limit of a couple of Grand on his card. 
    Do it cover the drinks on that night out in London ?
  • IAgree said:
    This appointment sounds as if it’s done deal, the big question is why hasn’t it been confirmed? If the answer turns out to be to allow the owner to attend the unveiling that would be very concerning given the amount of work required to field a competitive squad. 
    Maybe Garner is on holiday. Swindon season only finished a week and a half ago.  I'd prefer him good to go when he joins and besides, it wouldn't be much of an unveiling without the new head coach there.

Either way there is no reason why the talks about new players can't have already begun.