Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Trouble was the City guy from UAE really was a multi Billionaire with his own oil wells where our man from the middle East only had a credit limit of a couple of Grand on his card. 
    Do it cover the drinks on that night out in London ?
    ..pretty sure it was the clubs credit card that picked up the tab on that occassion 
  • shine166 said:
    IAgree said:
    This appointment sounds as if it’s done deal, the big question is why hasn’t it been confirmed? If the answer turns out to be to allow the owner to attend the unveiling that would be very concerning given the amount of work required to field a competitive squad. 
    Tbh if its done, not announcing it until next week makes zero difference to player recruitment. 
    Well it might promote stability
  • edited May 2022
    IAgree said:
    shine166 said:
    IAgree said:
    This appointment sounds as if it’s done deal, the big question is why hasn’t it been confirmed? If the answer turns out to be to allow the owner to attend the unveiling that would be very concerning given the amount of work required to field a competitive squad. 
    Tbh if its done, not announcing it until next week makes zero difference to player recruitment. 
    Well it might promote stability
    Can't see that idea catching on any time soon
  • JamesSeed said:
    Players aren’t back for a bit so I’m not sure we’re massively behind schedule are we? You’d imagine if it’s Garner he’ll have input into transfers. 
    Thought that whoever it is they won’t have input into transfers, down to MS and his Black Box.

• I thought they said that the manager says what he needs, they plug the data into the black box and then discuss between TS, MS, SG & Manager which ones they should try to sign?
  • JonT_Abs said:
    Trouble was the City guy from UAE really was a multi Billionaire with his own oil wells where our man from the middle East only had a credit limit of a couple of Grand on his card. 
    Do it cover the drinks on that night out in London ?
    ..pretty sure it was the clubs credit card that picked up the tab on that occassion 
    Pretty sure it wasn't 
  • Maybe it isn't a done deal maybe we have a shortlist of 3, that if in another job compensation has been agreed etc, but the owner wants to meet the candidates in the flesh prior to selecting one.

Probably not.
  • cfgs said:
    Maybe it isn't a done deal maybe we have a shortlist of 3, that if in another job compensation has been agreed etc, but the owner wants to meet the candidates in the flesh prior to selecting one.

Probably not.
    I think it’s along those lines if not exactly that.
  • Sponsored links:

• I've just realised that the TS master plan for success is to sack a manager who achieved 13th in League 1 after starting his tenure in the relegation zone and was quickly snapped up by the team that finished 23rd in the same league....

with a manager who finished 6th in the league below us and has no track record to suggest he will succeed at a higher level.

No wonder we are reluctant to announce it.   
    No, no, no, no! 

You are supposed to come up with ever more contorted reasons why we will don’t have a manager, squad or qualified CEO! Then spin every poor decision, the long slow decline, poor performances and increasingly unpleasant atmosphere!

It is sunny after all!
  • edited May 2022
    "If If's and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas".....if and WIOTOS... B)
  • Ben Garner has a tenuous Charlton connection in that he was once mentored by Lennie Lawrence, but at that other place where we used to stand in the 'Half Hour Wait' enclosure during our years of exile. 
  • cfgs said:
    Maybe it isn't a done deal maybe we have a shortlist of 3, that if in another job compensation has been agreed etc, but the owner wants to meet the candidates in the flesh prior to selecting one.

Probably not.
    I think it’s along those lines if not exactly that.
    Maybe he thinks it's only fair to give equal opportunity to the one more name that will be added to the list of candidates after tonight's game
  • I suspect Garner was almost done until the Cawley leak and then TS jumped in with "we are still interviewing". Meanwhile, Sol Campbells name is linked with the Swindon job, the Sangaards get their heads together and agree Campbell would be a cheaper option, TS books a plane ticket for next week as he wants to interview Campbell personally.
  • vffvff
    edited May 2022
    I’m not sure why people necessarily think Michael Beale would have “connections” over and above someone like Garner. In fact apart from Aston Villa now and previously Rangers who I doubt is a likely loan opportunity for Charlton I think Garner has probably better connections near the first team squads of WBA and Crystal Palace. Nothing to do with their individual merits as coaches but purely trying to nail this “connection” myth.

Aston Villa: Michael Beale - meet the man behind Steven Gerrard's success
    'So how did the ex-Chelsea, Liverpool and Sao Paulo coach come to be such a key figure alongside Gerrard and how did he have such a monumental impact on Rangers?'
    So no connections there eh ?
    Article is good on the coaching philosophy and previous Charlton connections.
    In saying the above, I am not saying that Garner doesn't have his own connections or coaching skills.Or that Garner may be better suited to pick decent potential lower league players, due to his experience, if funds are restricted. Beale maybe able better with good quality loans and promising young players. These are going to important in most League One teams, particularly if Sandgaard is not spending heavily.
    Beale would have developed connections in his roles with the clubs he worked out. It would be blinkered to ignore Beale's potential links, particularly in the UK. Also, by the fact that he has been working in the premiership.
    It is looking like Garner (or other) in any case, and Beale may be looking for better access to funds and quality of player further up the pyramid.
  • I've just realised that the TS master plan for success is to sack a manager who achieved 13th in League 1 after starting his tenure in the relegation zone and was quickly snapped up by the team that finished 23rd in the same league....

with a manager who finished 6th in the league below us and has no track record to suggest he will succeed at a higher level.

Probably something to do with Swindon being favourites for relegation at the start of the season, while Charlton were one of the favourites for reaching the play-offs. I should have thought.
    Did I miss Jackson being in charge for the whole season?

Probably something to do with Swindon being favourites for relegation at the start of the season, while Charlton were one of the favourites for reaching the play-offs. I should have thought.
    Did I miss Jackson being in charge for the whole season?
    No but you might have missed how Jackson had ys playing with no organization or discernible style of play, while Garner had his team playing attacking possession football racking up the best stats in the league in an attacking sense.
  • Sponsored links:

• Blackadder brilliant comedy- the Elizabethan one alongside the world war one is a close run thing for which one was the best.
  • vff said:
    Blackadder brilliant comedy- the Elizabethan one alongside the world war one is a close run thing for which one was the best.
    I also remember the first season when they were waiting for news and a messenger turns up and they say, "I like not that news bring me some other news." Sums our support base up.
  • edited May 2022
    Still no manager !

You sound surprised...or was that a question, for if so, I am surprised.. B)
  • edited May 2022
    vff said:
    I’m not sure why people necessarily think Michael Beale would have “connections” over and above someone like Garner. In fact apart from Aston Villa now and previously Rangers who I doubt is a likely loan opportunity for Charlton I think Garner has probably better connections near the first team squads of WBA and Crystal Palace. Nothing to do with their individual merits as coaches but purely trying to nail this “connection” myth.

'So how did the ex-Chelsea, Liverpool and Sao Paulo coach come to be such a key figure alongside Gerrard and how did he have such a monumental impact on Rangers?'
    In saying the above, I am not saying that Garner doesn't have his own connections or coaching skills.Or that Garner may be better suited to pick decent potential lower league players, due to his experience, if funds are restricted. Beale maybe able better with good quality loans and promising young players. These are going to important in most League One teams, particularly if Sandgaard is not spending heavily.
    Beale would have developed connections in his roles with the clubs he worked out. It would be blinkered to ignore Beale's potential links, particularly in the UK. Also, by the fact that he has been working in the premiership.
    It is looking like Garner (or other) in any case, and Beale may be looking for better access to funds and quality of player further up the pyramid.
    His coaching at Chelsea and Liverpool were not with the first team squad but restricted to youth development. Not sure what his role at São Paulo was. His stint at Rangers with rookie manager Gerrard was his first I believe working with the first team. Of course he’s now working alongside Gerrard at Villa. Now I’m not saying he doesn’t have connections at any of those former clubs but are they close to first team ? I expect not apart from Rangers and perhaps São Paulo for both clubs it’s an unlikely avenue for loans. Garner on the other hand has been involved with both Crystal Palace and WBA in the Premiership at first team level. I would imagine he has good connections at both clubs. No idea who is the better coach or option but I don’t see any reason to drool over Beale’s club connections any more than Garners. 
  • edited May 2022
    vff said:

His coaching at Chelsea and Liverpool were not with the first team squad but restricted to youth development. Not sure what his role at São Paulo was. His stint at Rangers with rookie manager Gerrard was his first I believe working with the first team. Of course he’s now working alongside Gerrard at Villa. Now I’m not saying he doesn’t have connections at any of those former clubs but are they close to first team ? I expect not apart from Rangers and perhaps São Paulo for both clubs it’s an unlikely avenue for loans. Garner on the other hand has been involved with both Crystal Palace and WBA in the Premiership at first team level. I would imagine he has good connections at both clubs. No idea who is the better coach or option but I don’t see any reason to drool over Beale’s club connections any more than Garners. 
    Same role as he has held under Gerrard 
  • vff said:

Same role as he has held under Gerard 
    Thanks. I doubt we’ll be getting an influx of Brazilians though.
  • vff said:

Same role as he has held under Gerard 
    Thanks. I doubt we’ll be getting an influx of Brazilians though.
    Yeah, that would be nuts!!