Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Gerrard not being assisted by Beale tonight on BT Sport. Done deal? 

QPR have their man eh.....who needs him, we've got Nigel bloody Clough... B)
  • vff said:
    vff said:
    I’m not sure why people necessarily think Michael Beale would have “connections” over and above someone like Garner. In fact apart from Aston Villa now and previously Rangers who I doubt is a likely loan opportunity for Charlton I think Garner has probably better connections near the first team squads of WBA and Crystal Palace. Nothing to do with their individual merits as coaches but purely trying to nail this “connection” myth.

Aston Villa: Michael Beale - meet the man behind Steven Gerrard's success
    'So how did the ex-Chelsea, Liverpool and Sao Paulo coach come to be such a key figure alongside Gerrard and how did he have such a monumental impact on Rangers?'
    So no connections there eh ?
    Article is good on the coaching philosophy and previous Charlton connections.
    In saying the above, I am not saying that Garner doesn't have his own connections or coaching skills.Or that Garner may be better suited to pick decent potential lower league players, due to his experience, if funds are restricted. Beale maybe able better with good quality loans and promising young players. These are going to important in most League One teams, particularly if Sandgaard is not spending heavily.
    Beale would have developed connections in his roles with the clubs he worked out. It would be blinkered to ignore Beale's potential links, particularly in the UK. Also, by the fact that he has been working in the premiership.
    It is looking like Garner (or other) in any case, and Beale may be looking for better access to funds and quality of player further up the pyramid.
    His coaching at Chelsea and Liverpool were not with the first team squad but restricted to youth development. Not sure what his role at São Paulo was. His stint at Rangers with rookie manager Gerrard was his first I believe working with the first team. Of course he’s now working alongside Gerrard at Villa. Now I’m not saying he doesn’t have connections at any of those former clubs but are they close to first team ? I expect not apart from Rangers and perhaps São Paulo for both clubs it’s an unlikely avenue for loans. Garner on the other hand has been involved with both Crystal Palace and WBA in the Premiership at first team level. I would imagine he has good connections at both clubs. No idea who is the better coach or option but I don’t see any reason to drool over Beale’s club connections any more than Garners. 
    Drooling ???? Its a matter of opinion as to whether you think who has the better connections. Beale is at Villa currently and close to Gerrard, who has a long time Liverpool and England International. That's going to help.
    Glad to see you have rowed back on Beales connections being entirely mythical. I am going to leave it at that, as a) its pulling over the fine details of something unlikely to happen - Beale arriving and b) life is too short.
    Think you need to go back over the thread. I’m sure you’re right though. Beale could easily give Gerrard a ring and say look can you please ring up Liverpool and see who they’ve got to loan to a third tier London club. I’m actually quite sure that neither Beale or Garner can use their out of date contacts to help Charlton. Beale maybe has the edge if Villa have any players over Garner looking to loan from Swindon.
  • shine166 said:
    Still no manager !
    Did you expect an announcement on the weekend ? I'd have thought it'd be before the next ST deadline, so Monday or Tuesday. 
    I expected one before now. Having experienced the big flop of last close season's recruitment one would have thought that TS would have had an idea of who the replacement was before now.  
    Instead we are worse off than last season at this point.
    The most likely scenario is that the deal has been done & Garner is our coach/manager.
    Sandgaard (the band) released their debut EP this week, which will be taking up TS's time.
    I expect the deal to be announced this week when TS comes over from the US.
    https://rocknloadmag.com/news/us-rock-band-sandgaard-release-debut-ep-on-my-way/
    Good to hear he has his priorities sorted....
    No worries we have martin to run the club  :o
  • We all know TS is unconventional....what if he's considering something pioneering and never seen in English football before?

Inspired by the Gritt/ Curbishley "duo of managers" which triggered our most successful recent period he is now implementing a "quartet of managers" and is due to announce Garner, Clough, Taylor and Beale as football's fantastic foursome?

4 times the brains = 4 times the success. 

The more I think about this the more I like it.
    I think you’re right, there’s definitely something in this. In the summer they could be a rock band while Martin is bringing in signings. Extra revenue for the club too through regular gigs at The Valley.
  • Well Ancellotti it is then 
  • Sponsored links:

• Well Ancellotti it is then 
    Nah, didn't win anything with Everton so not good enough for us

:s 
    Keep telling you he is yesterday's man!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    We all know TS is unconventional....what if he's considering something pioneering and never seen in English football before?

Inspired by the Gritt/ Curbishley "duo of managers" which triggered our most successful recent period he is now implementing a "quartet of managers" and is due to announce Garner, Clough, Taylor and Beale as football's fantastic foursome?

Can we just have Clough and Taylor?
    Over their dead bodies

• edited May 2022
    Probably approached Mansfield earlier and were told to go away until after play off final. Would explain the "still interviewing" remark if we were waiting to talk to him.

Still expecting Garner. Better fit for TS model.
  • Sounds like clutching at straws to me.

The next name might well be the manager that has just left Dartford FC ! 
  • Lurker said:
    Leuth said:
    Scoham said:

That doesn’t fill me with confidence 
    It shouldn't. It's a totally verified quote from someone who clearly absolutely knows what they're talking about 
    It’s just an opinion, several qualified people at Chelsea thought it was a good idea to sell Salah and De Bruyne for peanuts. The footballing world hailed Rangnick as a genius before flopping at United. 

It’s a young manager with a small sample of results to look at, no one knows if he’ll end up doing well or badly. 
    Like Jackson.
  • edited May 2022
    I throw my hat into the ring
    Silly old Grandad.. ;)B)
  • Is Sandgaard secretly Palace and forcing us to live through the management of each and every Nigel that exists in the 92?

Breaking news.........
    Nigel Pearson turns down Cafc to stay at Bristol City.
  • Sponsored links:

• Some managers fail at certain clubs. Look at Brendan Rodgers with Reading. Plenty were ready to dismiss him as a coach after that.
    It’s a good point - most fail when they come to Charlton!
    Rodgers played Church ahead of Shane Long.  I think he deserved to be dismissed 
  • edited May 2022
    Croydon said:
    I'm a few pages behind but it is unreal how many people are trying to convince themselves that Martin Sandgaard is in any way qualified for the job he holds at Charlton 
    It is utterly terrifying tbh. And frankly very dangerous for the future of our club. As fans we MUST hold things like this to account.
  • edited May 2022
    Can admin give up their Sunday morning lay in with tea and crumpet (easy tiger) and transfer all the posts about Martin Sandgaard on to the correct thread as my OCD or Compulsive decluttering is at a high level this morning.

Apologies for not putting this post on the "Habits you wish you didn't have" thread.
  • We all know TS is unconventional....what if he's considering something pioneering and never seen in English football before?

“Thomas, now we know this managerial apt is very important to you, could you just read the first line from the shortlist of candidates?”

“Imagine a cross between Ben Garner, Matt Taylor, Nigel Clough and Micheal Beale, you’ve just imagined a quartet of managers, my new pioneering approach to who’s in charge at Charlton Athletic”

”Thomas, I don’t understand”

”Well, it’s quite simple, why have 1 when we can have all of them”

”No Thomas, not the concept, why?”

”ooh, you’re hard”

• edited May 2022
    "MS attempted to make a change to training".
    What exactly did he attempt to do?
    The above could mean very different things, from something quite minor to something very disturbing?
    5 hours and still waiting as expected.

Sandgaard junior’s intervention was to ask the playing management to make the players train for longer each day. Their reaction was based on the view that he is neither qualified nor competent to make that intervention. 

• Why are we not linked to the Port Vale manager, beat both Garner and Clough in the playoffs.
  • Clough would be interesting. Certainly knows his way around where we are and probably brings a tried and trusted style of management but I’m not sure he’s progressive enough to set the pulse racing. Given support I think he could certainly get us out of Division One and make us competitive in the Championship. Will without doubt divide opinion but anyone given the job will.