Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    Why are we not linked to the Port Vale manager, beat both Garner and Clough in the playoffs.
    Just signed a 5 year contract and given his family circumstances is highly unlikely to want to move.

Agree:
    Darrell Clarke lost his 18 year old daughter recently and had 6 weeks compassionate leave and Crosby picked the side in Clarke's absent. I didn't see the final but I believe Darrell told Crosby to lead the team out.
    Sometimes in life and death you can't just up sticks and move on.
    Now if Crosby had been in the job he should have been last summer we might not be in this mess........
    Excellent point. 

Would Adkins have achieved more had he brought his trusted lieutenant? 

Not if the front 3 was Washington on the left wing, Stockley isolated in the middle and DJ struggling to get into the game on the right at the beginning of this season.

If Conor hadn't been injured after two minutes into Nigel Adkins reign then possibly the season before last as Washington was in a purple patch but haven't we established that coaches implement what the manager requires. If a coach is going to dictate the formation then he is being short changed by just being a coach. Crosby only picked the team at Port Vale because of the circumstances of Darrell Clarke for six weeks.

If's and buts.

I still think JJ getting 17 wins out of 35 matches in the two spells is par for the course for the "worse squad in living memory"

The mistake JJ made was saying there is quality in this squad in public so when the bad run came as soon as he was made permanent manager then questions are asked " where is the quality"
    At the same time if we had actually had the players to play the system, the manager had made clear, that was his preference who's fault is that?

He could have course played a different system but when you look at the players we had available for the first few games I would ask what system? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    Why are we not linked to the Port Vale manager, beat both Garner and Clough in the playoffs.
    Just signed a 5 year contract and given his family circumstances is highly unlikely to want to move.

Agree:
    Darrell Clarke lost his 18 year old daughter recently and had 6 weeks compassionate leave and Crosby picked the side in Clarke's absent. I didn't see the final but I believe Darrell told Crosby to lead the team out.
    Now if Crosby had been in the job he should have been last summer we might not be in this mess........
    Excellent point. 

Not if the front 3 was Washington on the left wing, Stockley isolated in the middle and DJ struggling to get into the game on the right at the beginning of this season.

If Conor hadn't been injured after two minutes into Nigel Adkins reign then possibly the season before last as Washington was in a purple patch but haven't we established that coaches implement what the manager requires. If a coach is going to dictate the formation then he is being short changed by just being a coach. Crosby only picked the team at Port Vale because of the circumstances of Darrell Clarke for six weeks.

If's and buts.

I still think JJ getting 17 wins out of 35 matches in the two spells is par for the course for the "worse squad in living memory"

The mistake JJ made was saying there is quality in this squad in public so when the bad run came as soon as he was made permanent manager then questions are asked " where is the quality"
    At the same time if we had actually had the players to play the system, the manager had made clear, that was his preference who's fault is that?

He could have course played a different system but when you look at the players we had available for the first few games I would ask what system? 
    A flat 442 or a diamond were the obvious choices. Not saying we'd have been successful with either and depth for any of system was clearly lacking. 
  • BetVictor still doesn’t have odds for our next manager but has odds for the next Swindon job so surely it must be a done deal with us and Garner…. Why the delay? Or am I missing something? 
  • Addick_8 said:
    I’d take Nigel Clough in a heartbeat over Garner.

Really  ???

One has been coaching for years & the other one is still living off his fathers exploits. 
    You do realise Clouch has been in management for 14 years right? Minus a bit of time without a club of course. 
    And has just led Mansfield to the play off final. Although his managerial career has been nowhere near the level of his old man, he has still done pretty well and you don’t have as many jobs as he has had without knowing what you’re doing….

Still not convinced he’s be the man for us though….
  • BetVictor still doesn’t have odds for our next manager but has odds for the next Swindon job so surely it must be a done deal with us and Garner…. Why the delay? Or am I missing something? 
    Yes, betting odds just reflect money laid not what is actually happening.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dansk_Red said:

Agree:
    Excellent point. 

If's and buts.

A flat 442 or a diamond were the obvious choices. Not saying we'd have been successful with either and depth for any of system was clearly lacking. 

4-4-2 may not be in fashion so much now but having two strikers closer together must help when Stockley can't be a lone striker.
    You have various options how the 4 are going to play in the midfield area.
    I like 3-5-2 but we obviously didn't have the fast full backs to make it successful every week. The games I saw  wasn't a failure, until late on in the season when we attacked fine with 3-5-2 but were hit  in transition as we couldn't get back into shape quick enough. The away games on Charlton TV were mainly poor with a couple of exceptions.

Nigel Adkins was dealt a poor hand to kick the season off, but unfortunately for me we lost every home game I saw live at the Valley this season Including the defeat to Wimbledon in the cup under Nigel. Was it Cheltenham when we were 2-0 down at HT and Craig Mac kept the score down.

Bizarrely i saw five wins in a row at the valley when we didn't concede a goal under JJ. Four 2-0 and a 1-0. I admit when the Step five  game I was at was called off at 2pm I then looked at the starting 11 for the Oxford home game and decided not to get a ticket at the ground as Oxford were my nap away and the 4-0 summed up a miserable performance according to everyone.

Come on down Ben Garner if Ray the sausage man is correct.
  • If? As seems likely the manager employment contract will have performance targets and he will be given a squad of players to work with. Then which British manager would take the job.
  • msomerton said:
    If? As seems likely the manager employment contract will have performance targets and he will be given a squad of players to work with. Then which British manager would take the job.
    One who like being gainfully employed I imagine. So most of them
  • Sponsored links:

• Addick_8 said:
    I’d take Nigel Clough in a heartbeat over Garner.

Really  ???

One has been coaching for years & the other one is still living off his fathers exploits. 
    Just to be clear, I think clough would be bad purely because he isn't the young, up and coming manager that it's understood that the owner wants.

To see he is a manager because of what his dad achieved is crazy. The guy has been manager for over 1,300 games and has an okay record. A large number of his games have been tier 3 and below, with the highest level he has managed at is the second tier. That suggests to me that he has carved out a decent lower level career based on his own merits, not what his dad achieved 50 years earlier
    Is that clear?   Garner is the only name that has actually been linked at all but Thomas employed Adkins and then said they were aiming higher than Beale.  Its quite hard to find an up and coming manager that's stepping down a level. 
  • TS = bullshido

• I wont believe it until he posts the "big fish" thing 😂😂
  • Sol Campbell in poll position for Swindon job whem vacant shortly.  Paul Tilsdale is second in line. 
    How many of us would have wanted Tissy 18 months - 2 years ago?
  • Usually when bookies suspend betting it is cut and dried.
  • After the initial reaction when Garner was mentioned have people changed their thoughts now ? Would he be a decent signing or not ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't particularly want Garner, but I'm willing to get behind him.
  • AndyG said:
    After the initial reaction when Garner was mentioned have people changed their thoughts now ? Would he be a decent signing or not ?
    Yes he would be decent, I said so before he was mentioned.

He wouldn't be my choice if I ran the club but they way the club is run he would be on my short list.
  • edited May 2022
    OOPS

• edited May 2022
    I don't particularly want Garner, but I'm willing to get behind him.

• paulfox said:
    I don't particularly want Garner, but I'm willing to get behind him.
    Bring on the Kenneth Williams gif!!🤣
    If ever a quote deserved it, it was that one  :D 
  • Valley11 said:
    AndyG said:
    After the initial reaction when Garner was mentioned have people changed their thoughts now ? Would he be a decent signing or not ?
    I’ve no idea with Charlton any more. 

Is Garner a smart up-and-coming coach who plays attractive, modern football, or a Palace reject who got the push from Bristol Rovers? 
    Is TS a good owner, or a power crazed dictator with a guitar who has installed his son as a sort of CEO? 
    Is Albie Morgan the worse midfielder we’ve got, or the man to lead us to the title?

Think I’ll just enjoy the cricket this summer and forget about it for a bit.
    Enjoy cricket ? mm. Is that a 'tongue in cheek' joke? Gee Charlton must be bad to watch.