Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• edited May 2022
    I'm so bored by this already. I can't believe it's taken so long. I'm pretty sure TS knew all along that JJ wasn't his man, so I thought he'd have a shortlist in mind already. Apparently I gave him far too much credit.
  • Chunes said:
    I'm so bored by this already. I can't believe it's taken so long. I'm pretty sure TS knew all along that JJ wasn't his man, so I thought he'd have a shortlist in mind already. Apparently I gave him far too much credit.
    I think it doesn’t take an awful lot of reading between the lines that he’s already got his man, but wants to be here to unveil him so they can get down to business together. I could be wrong but certainly my take on it. 

I also think the clearly unwanted release of Garner’s name has worked in his favour a little bit as it’s given everyone a chance to get over their initial ‘WHO?! Moment’ do some research and see that as an appointment it makes sense and fits the promotion of youth and high pressing game that TS has been speaking about. 

Am sure not everyone will be happy, but it’s Charlton - If everyone is happy something very strange has happened.
  • Scoham said:
    If it’s announced today I’ll be exactly 16 years after we appointed Iain Dowie. 

That, as someone said on Twitter, was the beginning of the end.

We can only hope Garner is the start of the new beginning.

That was our sliding doors moment.
    In a parallel universe Curbishley decides to stay at Cafc and Murray gives Alan the extra money that he gave to Dowie. Charlton not Leicester win the Premier and the FA cup  after keeping most of the talented youngsters. Captain Joe Gomez, Ademola Lookman, Nick Pope, Konsa and Joe Aribo all sign long contracts at Cafc and everyone's happy.
    Other than Golfie addick who states does Curbs need to retire in 2022 as Charlton only finish mid table in the Premier League.
    Happy Monday everyone!
  • I'm not sure about everyone, but I think the vast majority were very happy when Pardew was appointed.
    I wasn't, I remember cringing when his name started to be sung at the Wycombe debarcal.

However that was because he was a slimy twat,  I did think he would do a better job than he did mind.

IMO the only proper football manager, since Curbs, that has categorically failed on his own merits.
  • If 'performance measures' I. E league position etc are linked to contractual severance payments in the event of a sacking, no manager would agree to that, would they? 
  • If 'performance measures' I. E league position etc are linked to contractual severance payments in the event of a sacking, no manager would agree to that, would they? 
    Well Jackson did 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    As stated above, I think Fraser would be a vital cog in Garner's system. That's exciting. I think Chuks and CBT will also be workable, maybe even Kirk.

I can't see how Stockley would fit in though.
    Garner made good use of Davison at Swindon, a not dissimilar player.
    Davison is dismal , not dissimilar.  
    That's the point..he WAS dismal.. for us, but Garner found out how to make him tick and created a reasonable striker for how Swindon played, and played him consistently..
  • edited May 2022
    If 'performance measures' I. E league position etc are linked to contractual severance payments in the event of a sacking, no manager would agree to that, would they? 

Good question:
    It's possible that If you are a coach and it's  your first managers job and many of your peer group when accumulating the coaching badges, including the A licence are up for the Job, then to get a foot on the management ladder you may consider it.
  • As stated above, I think Fraser would be a vital cog in Garner's system. That's exciting. I think Chuks and CBT will also be workable, maybe even Kirk.

That's the point..he WAS dismal.. for us, but Garner found out how to make him tick and created a reasonable striker for how Swindon played, and played him consistently..
    Or life a league 2 club is easier?

Good question:
    It's possible that If you are a coach and it's  your first managers job and many of your peer group when accumulating the coaching badges, including the A licence are up for the Job, then to get a foot on the management ladder you may consider it.
    Always difficult in business to set performance related remuneration.  Normally a basic + bonus etc.  and the bonus bit is performance retated.  In Sales roles often a threat of getting fired if performance targets not met.  Any manager who agrees to peformance related conditions needs to agree up front what resopurces he will have...if Garner says I want a new player budget of xx million and we need a striker, central defender, right winger etc. and he gets that then fine (if he has a say in who) but otherwise he has a case to say he wasn't given the neccessary resources if the performance isn't met...not sure what Jacko's agreement was...
  • This thread is now closing down until Monday.
    Please go to the Martin data coaching etc thread for more gossip and minutiae on Sanderstead Junior.
    Thank you for your input despite most of it having Jack shit to do with our next Manager.
    Cryptic clue from soapboxsam, Jack Shit has just entered the race at 8/1
    With nothing announced yet, I wondered if this guy's odds had drifted having phoned the club earlier for an update, only to be told "We don't know Jack Shit!" Perhaps no formal approach made yet! 🤣
    It depends what it actually says doesn't it?  If it states that you getting the Spanish archer with no compensation, no ifs or buts, if you don't finish in top half.  You would struggle to get anyone to sign it.

I think there is a lot of 2+2=5 going on because Jackson got the contract he did because Thomas didn't really want him.  IMO.
  • Scoham said:

In a parallel universe Curbishley decides to stay at Cafc and Murray gives Alan the extra money that he gave to Dowie. Charlton not Leicester win the Premier and the FA cup  after keeping most of the talented youngsters. Captain Joe Gomez, Ademola Lookman, Nick Pope, Konsa and Joe Aribo all sign long contracts at Cafc and everyone's happy.
    Other than Golfie addick who states does Curbs need to retire in 2022 as Charlton only finish mid table in the Premier League.
    Or we appointed someone decent to replace Curbishley.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Hodgson for one was interested if I remember rightly.
  • Scoham said:

Or we appointed someone decent to replace Curbishley.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but Hodgson for one was interested if I remember rightly.
    And we don't bring someone in to sign the players (who had never done it before) and insist on who their staff are.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?
  • Jackson was negotiating from a strong position as he took over in 22nd place and we were in an upward spiral, reaching 11th during the protracted negotiations. We definitely plateaued ( even dropped) after JJ lost the caretaker title. I would be interested in Steve Peters views on the Psychology of motivation and why it dipped when the job description changed. Strikers injured did have a say in that, full backs not suited to the rigours of game after game of covering so much ground ?  

The fact that JJ'S first game as Caretaker was Sunderland away (100% home record) and not Doncaster at home the following week was maybe a clue that Thomas Sandgaard did have other plans for the next manager. A CL member said they knew who it was ? Shame they couldn't give more clues to who that was but I appreciate that sometimes you just can't. 
  • As stated above, I think Fraser would be a vital cog in Garner's system. That's exciting. I think Chuks and CBT will also be workable, maybe even Kirk.

A lot of our players from last season would look good in league 2, but aren’t anywhere near league 1 promotion quality. Davison isn’t good enough and I can’t see him being involved anymore than as a 4th choice striker. If he’s playing a significant part next season then I can’t see us doing much better than 13th again 
  • Sponsored links:

• anyone know when Thomas arrives in the UK? I just want him to announce Garner so we can put this to bed and Ben can get down to the task of getting us out of League One. It's getting tedious now.
    Ben may already be prepping and getting down to the task behind the scenes, for all we know, and there’s 100% no way they’ll have paused recruitment until there’s an announcement. That would be crazy, and I don’t things things are quite that bad.
    It is tedious as hell for us though, I agree. 
  • I increasingly do hope it's Garner to be honest. Warburton never really excited me as a concept, even though I'm sure he would be decent. Beale I'm not sure about, I feel like he's become a bit of a legend before even managing a game in his life. There's a lot of determination that he'll be brilliant but he could just be another Sammy Lee, Paul Clement, Steve Clarke etc, I guess we'll see if he signs elsewhere. Garner feels like the right kind of appointment after two seasons of pretty abject football. Even when we've been winning it hasn't been fun. Under Bowyer we went on a winning run based on Inniss and Famewo being completely unbeatable but in front of it was some pretty rancid football, and then it was all downhill from there. We looked a little freer under Adkins but not exactly flowing until the following season where we looked terrible, and after the initial maximum effort under Jackson we were about as dire a team to watch as I've ever seen. If Garner has a go at improving the style I'll be happy and he seems well-equipped to do that.
  • swordfish said:
    This thread is now closing down until Monday.
    Please go to the Martin data coaching etc thread for more gossip and minutiae on Sanderstead Junior.
    Thank you for your input despite most of it having Jack shit to do with our next Manager.
    Cryptic clue from soapboxsam, Jack Shit has just entered the race at 8/1
    With nothing announced yet, I wondered if this guy's odds had drifted having phoned the club earlier for an update, only to be told "We don't know Jack Shit!" Perhaps no formal approach made yet! 🤣
    So it was Martin Sandgaard who answered the phone. 
  • Doesn't sound imminent 
  • Doesn't seem like he's close to a decision , still wouldn't be surprised if it's not Garner