Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Jackson was negotiating from a strong position as he took over in 22nd place and we were in an upward spiral, reaching 11th during the protracted negotiations. We definitely plateaued ( even dropped) after JJ lost the caretaker title. I would be interested in Steve Peters views on the Psychology of motivation and why it dipped when the job description changed. Strikers injured did have a say in that, full backs not suited to the rigours of game after game of covering so much ground ?  

The fact that JJ'S first game as Caretaker was Sunderland away (100% home record) and not Doncaster at home the following week was maybe a clue that Thomas Sandgaard did have other plans for the next manager. A CL member said they knew who it was ? Shame they couldn't give more clues to who that was but I appreciate that sometimes you just can't. 
    The players knew the details of Jackson's contract. After the period of losses which coincided with us having no senior strikers, they knew he wouldn't be staying.
    Sandgaard seems to think he is a genius with these clauses. There is a reason no other club does things this way!
    Wasted last season by not sacking Adkins earlier, wasted the season before by not getting rid of Bowyer earlier when it was clear he didn't want to be there, now wasting next season
    When would you have sacked him?   I think the earliest it would have been fair was after the Bolton game.  We only played 3 more games and won one of them.  A maximum of 6 points wouldn't have changed our season would it?

He wasted last season by ballsing up the summer transfer window, even by his own admission.  If he hadn't done that he might not even of had to sack Adkins at all.
  • If it’s Ben Garner and TS is essentially just grandstanding, then I do actually find that quiet disconcerting. 
    It’s disconcerting whatever, even if someone is appointed today, we’re miles behind numerous teams in the league, in terms of building a squad. 
    Fear not …. Martin has got it all under control even down to the intensity of the training sessions 
  • edited May 2022
    Jackson was negotiating from a strong position as he took over in 22nd place and we were in an upward spiral, reaching 11th during the protracted negotiations. We definitely plateaued ( even dropped) after JJ lost the caretaker title. I would be interested in Steve Peters views on the Psychology of motivation and why it dipped when the job description changed. Strikers injured did have a say in that, full backs not suited to the rigours of game after game of covering so much ground ?  

The fact that JJ'S first game as Caretaker was Sunderland away (100% home record) and not Doncaster at home the following week was maybe a clue that Thomas Sandgaard did have other plans for the next manager. A CL member said they knew who it was ? Shame they couldn't give more clues to who that was but I appreciate that sometimes you just can't. 
    The players knew the details of Jackson's contract. After the period of losses which coincided with us having no senior strikers, they knew he wouldn't be staying.
    Sandgaard seems to think he is a genius with these clauses. There is a reason no other club does things this way!
    Wasted last season by not sacking Adkins earlier, wasted the season before by not getting rid of Bowyer earlier when it was clear he didn't want to be there, now wasting next season

I can't get my head around this.
    "The players knew the details of JJ contract!"
    Wages, and all the minutiae of a Professional contract ?

Unless Jackson left a copy for everyone to see or told everyone he had to finish in the top half of the table or admin leaked it to the players.

Crazy things happen at football clubs but struggling with this news 🤔

We all know there was doubt about JJ future at Cafc after Conor Washington and his agent meet Martin Sandgaard but no way can I believe Conor saw JJ contract and was told the team have to finish in top 12 or even 8.
  • DA9 said:
    Apparently we are way behind!!!

Over reaction

Only 9 clubs of the 23 have made signings thus far

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3/plus/?saison_id=2022&s_w=&leihe=1&intern=0&intern=1
    I tend to agree with you but the longer the managerial recruitment process go the less time there is for planning and player recruitment.

I don't think were "miles" behind but we're not giving ourselves the most time available either.

I just think it is an odd statement.   

If it's done and we're just waiting for TS to fly over (why?) then why say anything?    It seems like a statement that didn't need to be made either way.
    It’s not even 9 clubs, if a player signs a pro contract that counts as an incoming transfer 
  • edited May 2022
    DA9 said:

Over reaction

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transfers/wettbewerb/GB3/plus/?saison_id=2022&s_w=&leihe=1&intern=0&intern=1
    I make it 5 actually. Transfermarkt includes things like players returning from a loan or players being promoted from the youth team as transfers. For instance Lincoln are listed as making three signings but two are players coming back from loan and one is just a youth team player, so they haven't actually signed anyone

Bolton - Iredale from Cambridge, good signing.
    Cambridge - James Holden. A 20 year old goalkeeper from Reading's reserves. Definitely a future prospect not a first teamer.
    Fleetwood - Shaun Rooney, free transfer from St. Johnstone
    Shrewsbury - Jordan Shipley from Coventry
    Wycombe - Jack Young, a 21 year old Newcastle reserve midfielder they had on loan the previous season, where he played a grand total of 20 minutes across 2 appearances.

The Iredale signing is good business but other than that there haven't really been any big moves at all yet. By all accounts the work towards signing players is going on in the background, we might not be as behind as people think, especially if we're hiring based on a style of play
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9 said:

Over reaction

I tend to agree with you but the longer the managerial recruitment process go the less time there is for planning and player recruitment.

I don't think were "miles" behind but we're not giving ourselves the most time available either.

If it's done and we're just waiting for TS to fly over (why?) then why say anything?    It seems like a statement that didn't need to be made either way.
    Can you imagine if nothing was said? The meltdown would have been bigger.

• seth plum said:
    Saying you’re pleased with the quality of the candidates is a good thing, if rather inconsequential.

But then you'd expect him to say that anyway. TS could hardly say

"We've not appointed anyone yet, as the quality of candidates has been bloody awful and I'm desperately waiting for someone better to apply"
  • CL is at its best when after the "underwhelmed" comments are out the way, some research takes place and we get an understanding of the man behind the name.

Good to see @ozaddick join the elite club.

Michael Beale, Ben Garner, Karl Robinson are all ex players that mainly because of injuries or they weren't good enough footballers became coaches in their early 20's.

To have success at football you normally needed to fail somewhere unless you have only worked with elite footballers. Charlton in the 3rd tier don't have elite footballers so you have to work and devise a system that works in League 1. Good luck with that Ben Garner or whoever.

Brighton-Poyet and Bournemouth-Howe were the two teams that were most pleasing on the eye in promotion years from the 3rd tier.
    If at times we win like Rotherham then lets not complain because some days you win ugly. Better ball retention and passing and crosses from  advanced positions would be progress.

Announce ASAP Thomas Sandgaard and then let the youngish coach have the casting vote with incoming transfers on the "committee" which we need to do early so new faces can gel and we hit the ground running and passing in late July when the 22/23 Season starts early.

Interesting point about Poyet. 

His Brighton team was the best footballing side I have ever seen at the Valley with the notable exception of Arsenal in the Henri/Premiership glory days. I remember watching one Brighton goal from the lower north, as they exchanged four or five one touch passes inside our penalty box as our defence looked on like a bewildered audience at a top class ballet.  

Am I right in thinking that in the early days, Poyet received lots of criticism from fans for his tippy-tappy style that did not render immediate success by an means?  And as a top international player and big personality,  Poyet had a lot more pedigree, credibilty and clout than TS's new man will enjoy.

I love watching proper football played on the floor and will support Garner and his attempts to achieve it but don't want to see it played in League 2 thank you.  If he is still manager by Christmas, or has much say in recruitment other than the words 'thank you' , it will be a near miracle.

• seth plum said:
    Saying you’re pleased with the quality of the candidates is a good thing, if rather inconsequential.

But then you'd expect him to say that anyway. TS could hardly say

"We've not appointed anyone yet, as the quality of candidates has been bloody awful and I'm desperately waiting for someone better to apply"
    Yet he is reported to have dissed Michael Beale previously.
    Not that I am convinced by that tale.
  • edited May 2022
    arny23394 said:
    Why are people labelled bedwetters for being concerned that we have no manager, and about 3 players good enough for a promotion chasing team? It’s exactly 2 months until our first game and we have so much to do. Bizarre.

100% Arny,
    I'm proud that I was with Muttley and Lancs lad in calling out Matthew Sandgaard early doors as he reminded me of the fakes and chancers I have met in my social and business life. Fortunately only about 50% of them are on CL (harsh) and if the passe bed wetters tag is coming out again then good luck to the fans who have no problem with waiting until the last few days of the window shutting because you will be in the minority and look like you are clueless.

Get ready to piss in your sleep if there is no announcement in the next seven days.

You want top six, then you have to be quicker and faster than the opposition on and off the pitch.
  • Agree with @benjest1989 - we held onto Adkins for too long. 
  • I think it is Garner and we are waiting for TS to come over. If it is virtually a done deal then you would hope that player recruits have been identified and initial approaches made. 
    It could also be that Garner isn't first choice and we are waiting for somebody like Beale who won't make his decision until he has ruled out other options like QPR. 
  • Jackson was negotiating from a strong position as he took over in 22nd place and we were in an upward spiral, reaching 11th during the protracted negotiations. We definitely plateaued ( even dropped) after JJ lost the caretaker title. I would be interested in Steve Peters views on the Psychology of motivation and why it dipped when the job description changed. Strikers injured did have a say in that, full backs not suited to the rigours of game after game of covering so much ground ?  

Unless Jackson left a copy for everyone to see or told everyone he had to finish in the top half of the table or admin leaked it to the players.

We all know there was doubt about JJ future at Cafc after Conor Washington and his agent meet Martin Sandgaard but no way can I believe Conor saw JJ contract and was told the team have to finish in top 12 or even 8.
    He obviously meant the clause relating to league position. That was pretty common knowledge and was even discussed on here.

Or just shared the articles on the OS and SLP that said it at the time?  Although they didn't specifically say 8th, 12th or what ever it was strongly hinted at.  Not beyond the relms of possibility that someone asked him, or someone else, what contractual target was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Jackson was negotiating from a strong position as he took over in 22nd place and we were in an upward spiral, reaching 11th during the protracted negotiations. We definitely plateaued ( even dropped) after JJ lost the caretaker title. I would be interested in Steve Peters views on the Psychology of motivation and why it dipped when the job description changed. Strikers injured did have a say in that, full backs not suited to the rigours of game after game of covering so much ground ?  

Or just shared the articles on the OS and SLP that said it at the time?  Although they didn't specifically say 8th, 12th or what ever it was strongly hinted at.  Not beyond the relms of possibility that someone asked him, or someone else, what contractual target was.
    Plus we know the Sandgaard’s can’t kept their mouths shut. 
  • The pre-season tour is all sorted.  Anybody still need convincing that the Sandgaards are running all aspects of the first team and that any incoming manager/head-coach will be operating within their tightly defined parameters?
  • Agree with @benjest1989 - we held onto Adkins for too long. 
    Of course we did, in hindsight.  He should have walked after the Wigan game.

But sacking him before the Bolton game would have been rash.   When would you have actually sacked him, without using hindsight?  
  • edited May 2022

He obviously meant the clause relating to league position. That was pretty common knowledge and was even discussed on here.

Did Thomas Sandgaard say it or was it just speculation and as on all football forums and radio phones ins fans run with it ?
    Did Thomas say out loud or was it printed anywhere that we had to finish 8th after JJ got the gig in 22nd place ? 

Strongly hinted at isn't knowing the contract details CV43.

Since Bowyer left, it always feels that Cawley doesn't get the exclusives quite so close to the inner circle. Wasn't the Garner info from further west.
  • paulfox said:
    High quality Egyptian cotton sheets for sale, can do a good deal, inbox if interested. Only serious bedwetters though , no time wasters!!🤣
    Don't be silly, bedwetters need plastic sheets. Put me down for a couple of dozen.
  • DA9DA9
    edited May 2022
    DA9 said:

Over reaction

Olly is on here, no doubt TS, RM or MS pop in anonymously IMO, they read the room and try to placate the masses 

And the truth is, nobody knows what’s going on, it’s all opinions but yet again it gets morphed into fact by some 
  • edited May 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Agree with @benjest1989 - we held onto Adkins for too long. 
    Of course we did, in hindsight.  He should have walked after the Wigan game.

But sacking him before the Bolton game would have been rash.   When would you have actually sacked him, without using hindsight?  
    It’s not hindsight. It was pretty clear at the time it wasn’t working. 

Edit: I didn’t see your question. I wanted him sacked at the end of September/early October. I remember it well as I was arguing with fellow Charlton fans at a wedding about it 😂
  • DA9 said:

Over reaction

Don't let facts get in the way of all the hand-wringing!
  • Karl Robinson new fav for QPR 

Who cares about QPR FFS, what is happening here is what matters, unless you are really a closet QPR fan..Mmmm..
    A perfectly reasonable post on this thread. Beale was said to be in the running for the QPR job and given our supposed interest it is relevant.
    Personally I think that if it is Karl then it confirms that Beale is staying with Villa.
  • JamesSeed said:

From the OS

Charlton will travel abroad for a pre-season training camp this summer for the first time since 2019.

The men’s first team are set to return for pre-season testing on June 16th and will depart for Spain the following weekend.

Owner and CEO, Thomas Sandgaard, said: “It is important that the team get the opportunity to have a pre-season camp. We’ll have a new manager, new players, our current players and also some of young players all coming together for the first time. The training camp will give everyone an opportunity to really get to know each other and to focus on getting ready for the new season.

“We want to hit the ground running this season and a thorough training camp followed by competitive pre-season games will give us an opportunity to do that.

Ahead of that, finding the right manager to take our men’s first team forward is our number one priority at this time. We have conducted interviews with a number of candidates and have been really pleased with the quality of interested individuals applying for the role but haven’t made a final decision. It is a thorough process as I want to make sure we find the best person for the football club.” 

Information on the club’s pre-season fixtures will be announced in due course.

Good news about the tour. 
    Interesting timing given that the transfer window only opens on June 10th...doesn't give much time to get players in before the pre-season training camp.