Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• The idea of a DoF being brought in is strangely more exciting than a new manager coming in because we need one, can’t exactly get carried away though
  • Perhaps that's why there's been a delay. Has Garner insisted that Chorley comes too ?
  • Valley11 said:
    I wonder if Beale is the issue.
    If Robinson is the favourite for Loftus Road then perhaps that’s because MB is heading our way? 
    I have no idea btw. 
    It’s getting to the point where this is feeling very last summer though. 
    New signings and new manager in place for pre season tour eh? Hmmm 
    Not on 600k a year that’s why teams are looking elsewhere 
    He’d take a cut for a decent management job. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Anyone know where Chorley is?
    Don't you just hate people who can't be bothered to read 190 pages to find out important things like that. FYI Chorley is in Lancashire.
  • Yeah, the Swindon fans on that podcast recorded when the BG news broke seemed to think BG going wasn't that big deal as they had Chorley in place. Interesting developments.
  • I hope the club give BC his own radio show.

They could call it Chorley FM
    where the listener always comes first
  • edited May 2022
    I wonder if Ben Garner outlined to TS how Swindon operated and why they did so well last season from nothing. 

TS likes the sound of it and basically takes all the important pieces to create his own system here. 

What it means for Gallen/Coaching staff already here in the coming months will be interesting. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Doesn't sound imminent 
    Think TS is learning fast …just say nothing to report yet but he knows how close things are only takes a min to say yes … 

• Swisdom said:
    Local lad, originally from Sidcup too
    Played in the same Primary school team (Wyborne, New Eltham) as my youngest lad. Was head and shoulders the best player. Went to Arsenal academy and had a decent league career.
  • 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • edited May 2022
    My take on what has happened:

- TS interviewed Garner and agreed compo with Swindon
    - Another manager potentially higher up on his list is now interested (maybe Beale)
    - TS wants to take his time to see if he can get someone better than Garner
    - Swindon want to force the issue and leak it to the press (Cawley)

We may very well still get Garner who I don't think would be a bad choice.
    My take on it is that we have already got Garner (and Richard Cawley is correct), but TS is playing silly buggers and wants to announce it when in the UK and have a few photo opportunities for his social media. Of course, as soon as he announces it is Garner, TS is going to look like a right tit having denied it more times than Judas.

Beale was never a realistic prospect - too expensive and would never drop to the third division.
    Why would Beale not drop down to this league when it's rumoured that he was interviews pre adkins and then again pre Jackson?
    Pre-Adkins and then when he was sacked, Beale was still at Rangers. He's now in the premier league and no doubt on a lot more money, so the temptation to drop into league one might be a bit less appealing. On top of that we just finished 13th so we hardly look an appealing option to a guy who has championship interest.
  • Latest snippet. Garner deal on the brink of collapse. Very close on money and not insurmountable (possible bonuses etc) but various performance clauses are a huge sticking point. Garner not budging and refusing to accept them.

Again, only what I have been told. No idea if it's old news or even accurate, but the person sharing is very close to the deal.

Have asked of Chorley is involved, but told "no idea".
    At this stage that would be a real kick in the nuts.
  • Sponsored links:

• I will wait to see the white smoke…
  • edited May 2022
    Chorley’s LinkedIn, nearly 3 years as Swindon’s chief scout. Went straight in as Chief Scout.

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2018/july/town-hire-chorley-as-chief-scout/

• Latest snippet. Garner deal on the brink of collapse. Very close on money and not insurmountable (possible bonuses etc) but various performance clauses are a huge sticking point. Garner not budging and refusing to accept them.

Again, only what I have been told. No idea if it's old news or even accurate, but the person sharing is very close to the deal.

Have asked of Chorley is involved, but told "no idea".
    The 'Performance Clauses' bit is interesting. TS should be able to dispense of a manager fairly cheaply if they are doing a crap job. However I would argue that 13th is the cut off for that kind of agreement.

If TS is thinking you will get top 6 if you have a performance based contract that demands it, he is mad. It simply does not work that way. You could argue that 6th by the end of season 2 could be justifiable in that you have a year to build and a year to achieve it, but he needs instant results financially so he is not going to be minded to operate on that model IMO.
  • Apart from an unexpected resignation at Swindon I’m not too sure there’s much here to get too excited about. Lots of 2+2 = 5 going on. 
    Oh of course there is. Might be nothing but the timing is interesting.
  • Scoham said:
    Knowing our luck it's probably completely unrelated but getting in both the DoF and the manager that put together a decent team at short notice would be a great move. It would also seemingly limit the amount of universe-level control that Martin apparently has, which would be hilarious given the months of wailing on here about it. You'd imagine if Gallen were also staying then we'd be looking at one who idenitifies the correct players and one who handles the negotiations from there, which would be good. It would also explain the delay in making the announcement. Interesting, possibly exciting stuff. (cue: Welcome Steve Evans)
    Though three directors covering negotiations, analytics, recruitment and appointing head coaches feels a bit much?

Here’s what the Swindon OS said when they were appointed last year, seems Chorley ran recruitment and it was up to him appoint the head coach:

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2021/july/new-director-of-football-and-head-coach-appointed/
    I can almost hear Thomas saying most of the things said there.

'I want a director of football and head coach model rather than a traditional manager because I want continuity to run through the club. If the head coach moves on, the philosophy of the club carries on and the playing squad does not need to be a complete overhaul' is a pretty useful line. In many ways it just shows that TS needs to get better at communicating in a football way. Him talking about pressing being the best way to get promoted rubbed eveyrone the wrong way. If he'd said what the Swindon owner did then everyone would recognise it as a fairly typical model and think less about meddling and more about good planning
  • it’s easy to sack a manager, so performance related reductions in severance is only doing 2 things - saving money for Sandgaard if his choice is a mistake, and making the manager accept factors outside of his control as a reason to reduce severance package (his and his family’s security).  I don’t know why anyone would accept this if true.  In fact, ignoring these rumours about the contract, if I was Garner reading what TS is actually saying, while having had the discussions leaked, I’d have said something by now or told him to stick it.  The DoF thing whilst interesting is rather a 2+2=5 sidetrack, without any substance added.  So, p 190 and the answer is “not yet”……
  • TS is being pretty dumb if there is any truth in the fact he's playing silly buggers with the contract again (albeit this isn't surprising in the slightest given it's already 'worked' for him once).

This appointment is his make or break. He has to appoint who he thinks is the best candidate available provided they aren't out of reach on financial terms - it would be lunacy to let anything else be a factor.