Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• TS is being pretty dumb if there is any truth in the fact he's playing silly buggers with the contract again (albeit this isn't surprising in the slightest given it's already 'worked' for him once).

This appointment is his make or break. He has to appoint who he thinks is the best candidate available provided they aren't out of reach on financial terms - it would be lunacy to let anything else be a factor.
    We all just accept it, but it's football that is "pretty dumb". No other business would sign a vital employee to a 3 year fixed term contract and put themselves in the situation where no matter who poorly that employee performs, the only way to get rid of them is to pay the contract up in full. It is crazy, and anybody coming in from outside of the football bubble will see that it's crazy and try to find a way around it.

We can complain that TS hasn't accepted the ridiculousness of the industry he has joined fast enough, but we can't call him dumb for recognising how ridiculous it is and trying to at least mitigate some of that craziness.
    I agree wholeheartedly with the underlying message but the second paragraph is the crux of it. It's not the time to make a stand driven by logic. There won't be pats on the back all-round if we finish 14th next season and we get the reward of being able to terminate the manager's contract more economically.
  • TS is being pretty dumb if there is any truth in the fact he's playing silly buggers with the contract again (albeit this isn't surprising in the slightest given it's already 'worked' for him once).

This appointment is his make or break. He has to appoint who he thinks is the best candidate available provided they aren't out of reach on financial terms - it would be lunacy to let anything else be a factor.
    We all just accept it, but it's football that is "pretty dumb". No other business would sign a vital employee to a 3 year fixed term contract and put themselves in the situation where no matter who poorly that employee performs, the only way to get rid of them is to pay the contract up in full. It is crazy, and anybody coming in from outside of the football bubble will see that it's crazy and try to find a way around it.

We can complain that TS hasn't accepted the ridiculousness of the industry he has joined fast enough, but we can't call him dumb for recognising how ridiculous it is and trying to at least mitigate some of that craziness.
    Many manager contracts in football do have break clauses so pay outs are "only" 6 or 12 months.  Also why rolling contracts are used.
  • I used to be indecisive...now I'm not so sure... :/
  • So now we are maybe going for the whole Swindon set up, DoF, Manager, and two coaches, this whole thing is getting very complicated, if it is so, it is little wonder there is a delay in making any new announcements, anyway WIOTOS eh...
    Do Swindon have a peninsula?

Many manager contracts in football do have break clauses so pay outs are "only" 6 or 12 months.  Also why rolling contracts are used.

Correct. Everyone assumes that, for example, a manager a year into a three year contract must be paid the other two years if terminated. That is not the case.
  • all this Linkedin messaging, I decided to message him today, wow, he responded, and stated he HOPES that a new manager will be in charge with regard to the Spain trip, 
  • Sponsored links:

• Performance related contracts are fine if you have control of the resources that govern the performance. From the little we know it does not seem that the manager/1st team coach at Charlton has control of the budget, the playing style or the recruitment.
    The only way it would work is if the owner set a budget for the season, expressed his playing style preference which would be advisory not mandatory, and his season end expectations. If the potential manager felt that was reasonable then fine and dandy sign the contract.
    Over to you TS
  • Uboat said:
    For God’s sake, someone tell me what to think. 
    Cogitate on this. 
    Less than 4 weeks till the fixtures come out and we have no manager or players. 
  • Latest snippet. Garner deal on the brink of collapse. Very close on money and not insurmountable (possible bonuses etc) but various performance clauses are a huge sticking point. Garner not budging and refusing to accept them.

Again, only what I have been told. No idea if it's old news or even accurate, but the person sharing is very close to the deal.

Have asked of Chorley is involved, but told "no idea".
    Perhaps Garner isn't happy having performances linked to players he's had no say in being here / being recruited. Therefore Chorley is being brought in to placate/reassure him that it will be HIS team.

Just a thought. 
  • Somebody on ITTV (normal person) messaged TS on LinkedIn who apparently said 'We will hopefully have a manager in place by the Spain trip'... That is June 25th. I should probably log off before I have an attack.
  • Uboat said:
    For God’s sake, someone tell me what to think. 
    Cogitate on this. 
    Less than 4 weeks till the fixtures come out and we have no manager or players. 
    We have no players?  Where did they go?  When did that happen?
  • West2003 said:
    Having to wait for the owner to come over in order to appoint a manager is just bizarre. Imagine if Man Utd held off on naming Ten Hag because they had to wait for the Glazers to get through baggage reclaim at Manchester airport. Strange behaviour.
    But there are people hereabouts who think he should have waited to come over to give JJ the sack in person...
    I thought, he didn't need to come over he was here already.
  • Vfrf said:
    ButtleJR said:
    Director of football "absolutely not" coming in.
    Can you tell him we all want the DoF to come in?
    He did, but was told we don't need one, we have Martin.
    Listen to this man … he knows 
  • RedJohn said:
    all this Linkedin messaging, I decided to message him today, wow, he responded, and stated he HOPES that a new manager will be in charge with regard to the Spain trip, 
    He HOPES to have a new manager by the 16th June.

Very reassuring.
  • Sponsored links:

• said this week may be to soon to get a new manager in but we will have a new man in place in next two weeks … again TS on LinkedIn 

also we are not interviewing for a DOF 
    Cheers for that Colin, I read that on here as well.
  • This is becoming a farce
  • said this week may be to soon to get a new manager in but we will have a new man in place in next two weeks … again TS on LinkedIn 

If only someone could post a quick recap every 10/11 posts, oh wait….thanks

Thanks Colin for rehashing what's already been said by others.

I note your "It's all done, just waiting for TS to fly over to announce" guess has quietly been dropped.
  • I went out on a limb and said 31/5 or 1/6 for announcement of the new Manager. Let's be aving you Tommy.

Thanks Colin for rehashing what's already been said by others.

I note your "It's all done, just waiting for TS to fly over to announce" guess has quietly been dropped.
    He is getting his info straight from Thomas, just 24 hours after everyone else, after its posted on here.
  • This is becoming a farce
    That’s Charlton’s Pre-Season trip to Spain