Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Surely any manager with an ounce of sense won't agree to performance-related clauses when they have no control over recruitment. 
    Especially when they already have a job. The only type of manager you’re attracting with a contract like that is another Slade or Adkins. I.e, washed up and out of work. 
  • Options
    Looks like Garner on holiday that’s what the delay is …. 
    But you said it would happen this week?
    Don’t know Garner family commitments … sorry about that his misses forgot to text me !!
  • Options
    New manager won’t be Michael Beale, he’s been given permission by Villa to speak to QPR. 

Big miss IMO but unlikely to have happened given our League 1 status 
    Plus his salary … was way out of league one 
  • Options
    Aren’t all managers jobs performance related, squad or no squad, control or no control?
    I don’t believe TS had anybody lined up to replace Jacko, but I still believe Jacko lost his job because of the shameful performance at Ipswich, as that event made up Sandgaard’s mind for him.
    A manager at, say, Oldham can still get sacked with poor performances even with no resources. Yet there will be plenty who would apply even for the job at Oldham.
    If a manager doesn’t want a performance related contract they can surely look elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Aren’t all managers jobs performance related, squad or no squad, control or no control?
    I don’t believe TS had anybody lined up to replace Jacko, but I still believe Jacko lost his job because of the shameful performance at Ipswich, as that event made up Sandgaard’s mind for him.
    A manager at, say, Oldham can still get sacked with poor performances even with no resources. Yet there will be plenty who would apply even for the job at Oldham.
    If a manager doesn’t want a performance related contract they can surely look elsewhere.
    Compensation related - you can be sacked at any time but TS wants minimal payoff. 
  • Options
    New manager won’t be Michael Beale, he’s been given permission by Villa to speak to QPR. 

His salary at Villa was less than Adkins was on here and very similar to what Bowyer was on.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Surely any manager with an ounce of sense won't agree to performance-related clauses when they have no control over recruitment. 
    Which is why, imo, we still don’t have one. 

No manager, half a squad and the season starts earlier than ever before, but better not suggest other clubs are ahead of us. 

Ben Garner took over Swindon with about 7 players and after Bristol Rovers didn't work out he didn't have many options of getting a manager's job in the EFL. Charlton would be a step up despite the implosion of the last decade or so at Cafc.

Just a gut instinct but ever since JJ left I have been convinced that the decision would be made on the 31/5 or 1/6.

I believe Cawley contacts have given him the correct information and unless Thomas Sandgaard has done a U-turn because of the initial negativity when RC did the scoop then Ben Garner will be the next person in the hot seat.

• Options
    Just wondered if we were still paying Adkins salary , and whether thats come out of this season budget, how much would we have had to pay to fire him?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Just wondered if we were still paying Adkins salary , and whether thats come out of this season budget, how much would we have had to pay to fire him?
    It doesnt really matter what budget it comes out of because its all out of Thomas's pocket.  My guess is coincidentally about the same as the fee we agreed for Kirk, that Blackpool didn't exercise.

I don't think that in its self will influence the summer.  We paid relatively big money for Aneke and Fraser after Adkins was sacked.

As with early Roland it isn't how much has been spent, it's how it's been spent is the problem.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Why would a manager except a performance related contract if he doesn't have a say on players. 
    You can't say to a manager that you have to finish shall we say top six without having a big say on who we sign.
    The only manager who would take the job under these conditions would be an out of work manager desperate for a job.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Why would a manager except a performance related contract if he doesn't have a say on players. 
    You can't say to a manager that you have to finish shall we say top six without having a big say on who we sign.
    The only manager who would take the job under these conditions would be an out of work manager desperate for a job.
    All managers have an ego, some bigger than others, the "I could be the one that....." really appeals to a lot of them.  That's why players like Tony Watt keep getting signed.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    A good agent will try and negotiate better terms or write in mitigation clauses. They would also look for bonus clauses, playing budget increase, etc. The list is endless but they should eventually lead to an agreement, but that is what takes the time. Performance targets are not the worst thing in the world as long as the starting point is acceptable and the step up for achieving them worthwhile. It could be argued that they are better than rolling contracts. All in the detail.

’No’ is often the start of negotiations, ask any parent of teenagers. If they are still talking then at least it would appear to be something both sides want.

IMO the leaking of the deal was pressure put on by the agent and the ‘we are still interviewing’ the response. All part of the game. I suspect the ‘hopefully by mid June’ and the ‘a lot of good candidates’ are as well.

Is SG doing the negotiating?
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Hal1x said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Well lady’s & Gentlemen I hope I am proved wrong, but I am getting the feeling we will end up with someone far worse the JJ was and more has been crap players on free transfers or loans.
    so far what has TS actually achieved apart from buy the Club? And he wants premier League football 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👎👎👎👎
    Let me guess you are a glass half empty sort of person.
        No actually I own 5 companies and have supported CAFC since 1968.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Welp, that's my non-sequitur of the week.
      None-Sequitur a noun is not the correct word
      but a sense of humour might help 🤣🤣🤣
    I mean, it absolutely is. Are you ok?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    None of us know what's going on behind the scenes, or if they do, they are quite rightly not telling.

Of course, we all believe that we should have had a manager appointed already or asap.
    But much of the meltdown and anxt of the past week has been triggered because the Ben Garner situation was leaked.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

His salary at Villa was less than Adkins was on here and very similar to what Bowyer was on.
    Sure i read somewhere (which of course doesn't mean it's true) that Beale is on around 600k a year at Villa. I'd find it hard to believe that Adkins who'd been out of work for 2 years was on more than that.
  • Options

We know that Michael Beale applied the first time around and had an interview according to Thomas Sandgaard. Thomas then used Michael Beale as a yardstick that we wanted a more ambitious appointment.

So unless Sandgaard tried to head hunt this time why would Beale apply again when his stock is high and he can get a job in the Championship ?

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Sure i read somewhere (which of course doesn't mean it's true) that Beale is on around 600k a year at Villa. I'd find it hard to believe that Adkins who'd been out of work for 2 years was on more than that.
    I believe it was reported at the time Bowyer signed his new contract, Roland was paying him £400k pa.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Remember Adkins doesn't have to work and was alleged to have turned down championship clubs, and recommended Crosby in his place, between Hull and us. 

He also left Hull when he could have stayed.  Like Warburton now he wasn't a jobbing manager desperate for the next job to pay the bills.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    seth plum said:
    Yes. But failure isn't explicitly written into manager's contracts as a standard in this industry, creating a much smaller pay-off, something TS is trying to do.

seth plum said:
    And I think that's what they'll do.

At best this policy protects the club from paying a large fee to a failing manager, and at worst it limits our choice of managers to the small pool that would accept its terms!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Adkins was on 12k a week? Find that very hard to believe 
  • Options
    Can we take it that Duncan Fergusson, Wallace & Gromit, Uncle Tom Cobley 'n' all have been granted permission to talk to Charlton then?  
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I agree

Finishing 13th made it cheaper for TS to remove Jacko, but if we had finished the season well, playing good football and showing real signs that we were building something, I'm sure Jacko would still be with us.
    Did I read at the time of Jacko's sacking, Thomas mentioned something about unattractive football and that he wanted to see the team play in a more appealing way? Something like that.