Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    New manager won’t be Michael Beale, he’s been given permission by Villa to speak to QPR. 

Big miss IMO but unlikely to have happened given our League 1 status 
    Plus his salary … was way out of league one 
    His salary at Villa was less than Adkins was on here and very similar to what Bowyer was on.
    Sure i read somewhere (which of course doesn't mean it's true) that Beale is on around 600k a year at Villa. I'd find it hard to believe that Adkins who'd been out of work for 2 years was on more than that.
    I believe it was reported at the time Bowyer signed his new contract, Roland was paying him £400k pa.

And the contract Southall gave him was more than that.
  • Options
    Why are we assuming that the manager has no say in the transfers?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    swordfish said:
    Can we take it that Duncan Fergusson, Wallace & Gromit, Uncle Tom Cobley 'n' all have been granted permission to talk to Charlton then?  

Not too sure about Wallace and Gromit....heard that Gromit was a bit of a pup... B)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    A bit of factual analysis.

I've said (repeatedly) that Sandgaard is trying to bring his successful business principles into our world of football.

On that basis, I thought I'd take a look at the Job descriptions for current vacancies on his Zynex website.

Almost 90% of his 227 vacancies are for Medical Device Sales reps. and here's the wording he has used (italics and bold text are his, not mine):

Do you want to join a successful fast-paced growing company with opportunity to help patients and make money?

The Zynex mission is to improve the life-quality of patients suffering from debilitating pain. We are seeking:  Self-confident, self-starting, resourceful, assertive, and persuasive individuals who will promote and generate prescriptions from physical therapists and pain management doctors for our NexWave pain management device. The NexWave is an alternative to opioid pain medications.  You must be able to build loyalty with clinicians and doctors developing your prescription-based stream of business.  Able to demonstrate influencing and sales skills, and you must possess the drive and discipline to accomplish goals on a weekly basis. Previous sales experience is a plus, but you may qualify based on a strong desire to be the best.  Requirements:  Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and mobile phone. We offer training, a generous base salary, uncapped commissions, benefits, with a $20,000 sign-on bonus and management support for your success.

What I will highlight is this:

"you must possess the drive and discipline to accomplish goals on a weekly basis"

I'm pretty sure that this performance-related approach did for Jackson, and Sandgaard won't let that approach go.  "Hey, it works in the business world, so why not use it here?  Football is no different."

This is where Sandgaard needs to take advice.  To find the middle ground.

Yes, have your performance targets.  No problem with that.  But any contract needs to include agreed caveats (on both sides), clearly identified extenuating circumstances (on both sides) and a mechanism to review if and when the unexpected happens (on both sides).

This is not typical practice in medical sales ... you either deliver or get the boot.  

I suspect that our new manager hiring process is suffering from this type of inflexibility.

• Options
    It is starting to feel like the football club is being run like a retail outlet now. 
  • Options
    Tempt Neil Warnock out of retirement - he would get us top 6 - and decent loan players plus give refs some sh@t  - happy valley 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Surely any manager with an ounce of sense won't agree to performance-related clauses when they have no control over recruitment. 
    Which is why, imo, we still don’t have one. 

No manager, half a squad and the season starts earlier than ever before, but better not suggest other clubs are ahead of us. 

Ben Garner took over Swindon with about 7 players and after Bristol Rovers didn't work out he didn't have many options of getting a manager's job in the EFL. Charlton would be a step up despite the implosion of the last decade or so at Cafc.

Just a gut instinct but ever since JJ left I have been convinced that the decision would be made on the 31/5 or 1/6.

I believe Cawley contacts have given him the correct information and unless Thomas Sandgaard has done a U-turn because of the initial negativity when RC did the scoop then Ben Garner will be the next person in the hot seat.

It ain't done until it's done and so far it ain't done.

People can make up reasons like TS coming over or holidays but the fact remains it's not on the OS here or at Swindon so it's not done.

Could still be or could not happen at all.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Almost 90% of his 227 vacancies are for Medical Device Sales reps. and here's the wording he has used (italics and bold text are his, not mine):
    You really think he has written those job descriptions?

As CEO, no.  But, as CEO, he is responsible for what goes out.  And he, via his staff, will have endorsed them.  They reflect his Company ethos.

Put it another way, if he disagreed with them, do you think he would have allowed them to go out into the public domain?

But that is not the point.

The point is that Sandgaard comes from a world where black-and-white sales targets are the norm.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    JonT_Abs said:
    I quite enjoy when this forum decends into internet Fan Fiction 

Plot twist idea - Martin turns out not to be Thomas' real son!!!! 

He was a black box adoption
  • Options

We know that Michael Beale applied the first time around and had an interview according to Thomas Sandgaard. Thomas then used Michael Beale as a yardstick that we wanted a more ambitious appointment.

So unless Sandgaard tried to head hunt this time why would Beale apply again when his stock is high and he can get a job in the Championship ?

Being interviewed doesn’t necessarily mean he applied. A phone call by Charlton to Beale asking for a chat could have been what happened. 
  • Options
    Why are we assuming that the manager has no say in the transfers?
    Thomas has said it's Sandgaard junior that identifies new players and Gallen does the negotiations with their clubs and agents. 
    Not sure where that leaves the manager but it could be a reason why we haven't appointed one yet.
  • Options
    Looks like Garner on holiday that’s what the delay is …. 
    Well as the child says on ittv, he comes on here lights the touch paper & stands back to see how many bite. I think he maybe on a winner with this one.  :D
    So we have been blaming TS for lack of activity in the transfer market and the real reason is because Garner has the cheek to take a holiday 2 months before the season starts. Well, sorry Garner but it is a no from me!
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    WSS said:
    Dave Rudd said:

As CEO, no.  But, as CEO, he is responsible for what goes out.  And he, via his staff, will have endorsed them.  They reflect his Company ethos.

Put it another way, if he disagreed with them, do you think he would have allowed them to go out into the public domain?

The point is that Sandgaard comes from a world where black-and-white sales targets are the norm.

I'd wager he hasn't got a clue about what is said in any job descriptions or adverts in the public domain. Like 99.9% of CEOs in "big companies".

I agree, 99.9% of his time is spent answering fans questions on social media!
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

I've said (repeatedly) that Sandgaard is trying to bring his successful business principles into our world of football.

On that basis, I thought I'd take a look at the Job descriptions for current vacancies on his Zynex website.

Do you want to join a successful fast-paced growing company with opportunity to help patients and make money?

The Zynex mission is to improve the life-quality of patients suffering from debilitating pain. We are seeking:  Self-confident, self-starting, resourceful, assertive, and persuasive individuals who will promote and generate prescriptions from physical therapists and pain management doctors for our NexWave pain management device. The NexWave is an alternative to opioid pain medications.  You must be able to build loyalty with clinicians and doctors developing your prescription-based stream of business.  Able to demonstrate influencing and sales skills, and you must possess the drive and discipline to accomplish goals on a weekly basis. Previous sales experience is a plus, but you may qualify based on a strong desire to be the best.  Requirements:  Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and mobile phone. We offer training, a generous base salary, uncapped commissions, benefits, with a $20,000 sign-on bonus and management support for your success.

"you must possess the drive and discipline to accomplish goals on a weekly basis"

I'm pretty sure that this performance-related approach did for Jackson, and Sandgaard won't let that approach go.  "Hey, it works in the business world, so why not use it here?  Football is no different."

Yes, have your performance targets.  No problem with that.  But any contract needs to include agreed caveats (on both sides), clearly identified extenuating circumstances (on both sides) and a mechanism to review if and when the unexpected happens (on both sides).

This is not typical practice in medical sales ... you either deliver or get the boot.  

I suspect that our new manager hiring process is suffering from this type of inflexibility.

Very good points here DR. Yes, I wonder whether TS fully appreciated how difficult it was when CA, JS & CW were all injured and our frontline decimated. 
    If he's hooked on weekly targets I wonder what targets he had for JJ during this awful period. I hope he is now getting football advice from football people and not business analysts..
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    WSS said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Sales are only part of the successful business he built and runs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    WSS said:
    Dave Rudd said:

I'd wager he hasn't got a clue about what is said in any job descriptions or adverts in the public domain. Like 99.9% of CEOs in "big companies".

Pfffft.... what do you know about recruitment anyway? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    When he was 11 Ben Chorley told me he was going to be a professional footballer.
    His focus was locked on, and he was right.
    When he was 12 Paul Barron told us the same thing about being a goalkeeper He is still a coach and that remark was made in the 60's
    Wow, that's a blast from the past! I knew Paul well, played for North Kent schools and Welling United with him. I can remember the game that our regular keeper didn't turn up, Paul went in goal and the rest is history!
  • Options
    CafcSteve said:
    Thanks Ronnie.

Might be half tempted to believe you if it wasn’t for the fact that every other thing you’ve claimed has turned out to be incorrect.

Any news on those incoming players from Plymouth that your relative who owned the local paper told you about a year ago?
    The site on Instagram been pretty spot on .. so we shall see 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Sounds like the job description for those selling the opioids in the first place.
    Cosy up to clinicians. Then push the hard sell.

Anyone who has seen the excellent series Dopesick will know what I'm talking about
  • Options
    Has Thomas actually landed in the UK yet, if not can we can get a sky scanner on his probable flight? :)
  • Options
    A heads up to anyone that was thinking of reading the posts since last night - don't bother.
    Beale looks like he's going to QPR and that's it.
    Handy post that, cheers :)
  • Options
    Has he been caught up in the easyJet/TUI fiasco as well then?