Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    supaclive said:
    If TS has genuinely stopped transfers as he doesn't rate them and the manager doesn't get to say who/what we need, we are doubly fucked.

Nevermind.

Always next season.....
    He has not … just more rubbish 
    Despite Thomas himself saying he has?  Did you miss that on your Instagram? 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Well Andy Woodman won't be our new manager, just signed a new 3 contract.  That's one ex-Palace employee we can tick off. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Why are we assuming that the manager has no say in the transfers?
    Thomas has said it's Sandgaard junior that identifies new players and Gallen does the negotiations with their clubs and agents. 
    Not sure where that leaves the manager but it could be a reason why we haven't appointed one yet.
    I believe what actually occurs is more like:
    •  Manager specifies what they need to Martin, Thomas & Steve.

•  Martin & his data team plug the info and requirements into the 'black box' 

•  Martin presents findings to Thomas, Steve & Manager

•  Everyone provides their input into whether the player is suitable

•  Thomas takes all input into consideration and gives go ahead to Steve to start process to try to obtain player or rejects the suggestion

•  Steve goes and approaches clubs, players and agents, negotiates deals. 

•  Back and forth between recruitment team over value of player possibly occurs

•  Thomas pays the money forward for the player or if not financially viable requests next best option from Martin's team. (Cycle back to Martin presenting findings)
    I think it's something like that but haven't heard anything out of the club about the first one - that the process starts with the manager saying what they need. In fact, from what I've heard in interviews, the black box identifies players first and they are then put to the committee. 

Johnnie's mate (forget her name) on Twitter was adamant he had zero say in transfers whatsoever. 

Should also remember that SG has said TS gives his opinion on players in terms of their ability and has vetoed them before. So he's not restricting himself to the role of facilitator. 

This maybe true but we need to remember that Jackson was so desperate for the job that he agreed to Sandgaard's clauses, so he may have also agreed to not having an input on transfers.

A manager from another club being headhunted is absolutely in a much stronger position to say 'i insist that i have an input on transfers'. 
  • Options
    What we actually do know:
    10 June: English transfer window opens
    16 June: Players return for pre season testing - OS
    18-19 or 25-26 June: New manager, new players, current players and some young players go to training camp in Spain TS
    (Date depends on what TS means by "following weekend")
    TBC: Pre season games
    30 July: League One season starts

What we can extrapolate from the above:
    New players and youth players need to be selected for training camp at the earliest by 17 June and latest by 25 June
    After the training camp we will have 4 or 5 weeks before our first L1 game.

What we can guess from the above:
    To recruit new players the recruiters need to know what the new manager wants and style of play
    To have effective recruitment the new manager needs to be in place 2 weeks before departing for Spain to access the squad 
    Dependent on the departure date for Spain we need a new manager in place by 4th or 11th June
    TS arrives 1st June - maybe?

Conclusion:
    No need for panic or bedwetting before 4th June

I knew you’d come through LL!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Why are we assuming that the manager has no say in the transfers?
    Thomas has said it's Sandgaard junior that identifies new players and Gallen does the negotiations with their clubs and agents. 
    Not sure where that leaves the manager but it could be a reason why we haven't appointed one yet.
    I believe what actually occurs is more like:
    •  Manager specifies what they need to Martin, Thomas & Steve.

•  Martin & his data team plug the info and requirements into the 'black box' 

•  Martin presents findings to Thomas, Steve & Manager

•  Everyone provides their input into whether the player is suitable

•  Thomas takes all input into consideration and gives go ahead to Steve to start process to try to obtain player or rejects the suggestion

•  Steve goes and approaches clubs, players and agents, negotiates deals. 

•  Back and forth between recruitment team over value of player possibly occurs

•  Thomas pays the money forward for the player or if not financially viable requests next best option from Martin's team. (Cycle back to Martin presenting findings)
    I think it's something like that but haven't heard anything out of the club about the first one - that the process starts with the manager saying what they need. In fact, from what I've heard in interviews, the black box identifies players first and they are then put to the committee. 

Johnnie's mate (forget her name) on Twitter was adamant he had zero say in transfers whatsoever. 

Should also remember that SG has said TS gives his opinion on players in terms of their ability and has vetoed them before. So he's not restricting himself to the role of facilitator. 

This maybe true but we need to remember that Jackson was so desperate for the job that he agreed to Sandgaard's clauses, so he may have also agreed to not having an input on transfers.

A manager from another club being headhunted is absolutely in a much stronger position to say 'i insist that i have an input on transfers'. 
    Not sure about that. Fans would have thrown a fit if JJ didn't get the job back then. Does a L2 manager like Garner have any more clout than that?
  • Options
    Barnsley still looking for a manager ahead of their own probable squad rebuild. Trying to get onto BarnsleyLife to see what they're saying.

Charlton managerless since 3rd May. Barnsley managerless since 8th May (season ended a week later than ours).
  • Options
    Barnsley still looking for a manager ahead of their own probable squad rebuild. Trying to get onto BarnsleyLife to see what they're saying.

Charlton managerless since 3rd May. Barnsley managerless since 8th May (season ended a week later than ours).
    Get money on a Charlton - Barnsley 1st & 2nd for promotion. Its a sign. 
  • Options
    18-19 or 25-26 June: New manager, new players, current players and some young players go to training camp in Spain TS

New players and youth players need to be selected for training camp at the earliest by 17 June and latest by 25 June

To recruit new players the recruiters need to know what the new manager wants and style of play
    To have effective recruitment the new manager needs to be in place 2 weeks before departing for Spain to access the squad 
    Dependent on the departure date for Spain we need a new manager in place by 4th or 11th June

Conclusion:

Word of the week.

Last week's was 'slosher'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry for all the excellent comments, I have not read them all as there are about 200 every day and as yet nothing has happened. Can we have just one thread which says ........... ??????????? is our new manager, then I can read that and be interested  :)
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Well Andy Woodman won't be our new manager, just signed a new 3 contract.  That's one ex-Palace employee we can tick off. 
    well if he's signed 3 contracts, he could always sign a fourth no worries!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    ross1 said:
    Sorry for all the excellent comments, I have not read them all as there are about 200 every day and as yet nothing has happened. Can we have just one thread which says ........... ??????????? is our new manager, then I can read that and be interested  :)

Come on now, join in the boredom club with the rest of us, that's all part of "The Charlton Experience"...we've all had to read through...what else is there to do.. B)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Has Thomas actually landed in the UK yet, if not can we can get a sky scanner on his probable flight? :)
    Could be on his way tonight... 

(these flights run daily)
    Shurley Southall must have bought a company jet, after the Range Rovers, couldnt TS be using that. I think it was livered as AiRSOU.
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned or has any relation to us but Ben Chorley has left Swindon Town
    https://the72.co.uk/274597/swindon-town-chairman-clem-morfuni-reacts-to-ben-chorleys-departure/
    Once or twice 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    No problem. I will make sure I at least open one.
    You can pop off now. Stay cool 😎 
  • Options

Get money on a Charlton - Barnsley 1st & 2nd for promotion. Its a sign. 
    Repeat of 18/19...

Charlton, Barnsley and the team who finished 2nd in League Two the year before... Exeter.
  • Options
    Manager imminent, Charlton v Swanley just announced by Clive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you mean Swansea  ??  Swanley dont have a football team afaik.....
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:
    seth plum said:
    When he was 11 Ben Chorley told me he was going to be a professional footballer.
    His focus was locked on, and he was right.
    When he was 12 Paul Barron told us the same thing about being a goalkeeper He is still a coach and that remark was made in the 60's
    Wow, that's a blast from the past! I knew Paul well, played for North Kent schools and Welling United with him. I can remember the game that our regular keeper didn't turn up, Paul went in goal and the rest is history!
    Hello mate, how's Spain?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Has Thomas actually landed in the UK yet, if not can we can get a sky scanner on his probable flight? :)
    Could be on his way tonight... 

(these flights run daily)

I'm sure Ronnie will let us all know the moment he lands, no need to panic yet.. B)
    He's the pilot.  That is what he told me anyway.
  • Options

Conclusion:

When does the transfer window shut? How many L1 games will we have played by then? My money is on a lot of last minute recruitment- however undesirable.
  • Options
    Bit off topic, but in relation to us annually wanting a certain player/manager and when it doesn’t happen we all have a bit of a strop, I couldn’t help but notice Paul Cook. 

I genuinely reckon the majority of Charlton fans on social media wanted him and when Ipswich got him it was a bit doom and gloom. I didn’t realise he was the manager of Chesterfield who have just lost in the play off semis to Solihull Moors. What a plummet that is.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Uboat said:
    For God’s sake, someone tell me what to think. 

Conclusion:

• Options
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Hal1x said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Well lady’s & Gentlemen I hope I am proved wrong, but I am getting the feeling we will end up with someone far worse the JJ was and more has been crap players on free transfers or loans.
    so far what has TS actually achieved apart from buy the Club? And he wants premier League football 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👎👎👎👎
    Let me guess you are a glass half empty sort of person.
        No actually I own 5 companies and have supported CAFC since 1968.
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Welp, that's my non-sequitur of the week.
      None-Sequitur a noun is not the correct word
      but a sense of humour might help 🤣🤣🤣
    I mean, it absolutely is. Are you ok?
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Hal1x said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Well lady’s & Gentlemen I hope I am proved wrong, but I am getting the feeling we will end up with someone far worse the JJ was and more has been crap players on free transfers or loans.
    so far what has TS actually achieved apart from buy the Club? And he wants premier League football 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👎👎👎👎
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    1968CAFC said:
    1968CAFC said:
    Hal1x said:
    1968CAFC said:
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
           I am fine a very well thank you.
           But a sense of humour injection might
           Help you 🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍