Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Was willing to give TS the summer, but nearly a month on and still no new manager is a joke. We are behind everyone else this summer AGAIN. 
    Just another quick reminder that the window isn't open for another 8 days
    Another reminder that the window is pretty much completely irrelevant. Man City agreed a deal for Haaland before their season had even finished. In fairness, there hasn't been much official activity but I'd presume J Block and others are referring to the talking to players, agents etc. I think we're all guessing how much the lack of a manager is affecting us. We're no doubt making enquiries etc but we don't really know what impact having no manager is having for certain. 
    I did mean to caveat that with the exception of free agents aswell, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought tapping up of players who's contract isn't expiring outside of windows isn't allowed? 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Was willing to give TS the summer, but nearly a month on and still no new manager is a joke. We are behind everyone else this summer AGAIN. 
    And you don't think players are being spoken too and lined up? 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Another reminder that the window is pretty much completely irrelevant. Man City agreed a deal for Haaland before their season had even finished. In fairness, there hasn't been much official activity but I'd presume J Block and others are referring to the talking to players, agents etc. I think we're all guessing how much the lack of a manager is affecting us. We're no doubt making enquiries etc but we don't really know what impact having no manager is having for certain. 
    This. Everything which is meant to be happening is done behind close doors. Thus, we have no idea what is and what is not happening. The hope is that all the hard work will pay off by when pre season begins.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    LTKapal said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I did mean to caveat that with the exception of free agents aswell, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought tapping up of players who's contract isn't expiring outside of windows isn't allowed? 
    No of course tapping up of players is supposedly not allowed but I'm referring to talking to clubs about buying and/or loans. If we get permission to talk to players we can still get deals agreed. We signed Stockley before the window opened last season for example. 
  • Options
    Players who are out of contract this summer can begin talking to new clubs from several months prior to the expiry of the contract. The summer transfer window is irrelevant as you can sign any player at any time, they just cannot be registered to play for you until the window is open,  but seeing as their are no official games to play in it makes no difference.
    Yep, I think there is a common misconception about players signing for other clubs and players being registered to play for that club. 

Although I don't think you're quite right about being able to talk to clubs several months prior to the expiry of a contract. I think technically you're only allowed to approach them in the last month of the contract. We all know it happens mind.  
  • Options
    Matt Taylor (no, not that one) is now favourite for the Swindon job.  The new Matt Smith? 

Apparently it's "common knowledge" that Garner has left Swindon, along with Chorley.  Maybe someone has put 2+2 together, but I can't believe that that person is Cawley.

If not here, where? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Matt Taylor (no, not that one) is now favourite for the Swindon job.  The new Matt Smith? 

Apparently it's "common knowledge" that Garner has left Swindon, along with Chorley.  Maybe someone has put 2+2 together, but I can't believe that that person is Cawley.

If not here, where? 
    Barnsley would probably be the only other club that made sense. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    mendonca said:
    swordfish said:
    My concern is quite similar to what with seen in player recruitment the last couple of years. Doing a decent job in identifying good candidates, but failing to attract them here
    Posted that on 16th May and suspect that is what’s proven the case, particularly with Beale. 
    Likely problems: refusal to recognise the market rate, either in salary or on termination; for managers, the scope of the role.

We are not an unattractive proposition relative to most other third tier or provincial clubs. 
    Both obstacles are likely to lead to extended discussions. In fairness, this is the best time of year to accommodate delays, but at some point you have to compromise.
    That may well be part of it, but in terms of Beale, would it not just be that he got an offer we couldn't really match? QPR announced Warburton was leaving on 28th April. Charlton sacked Jackson on 2nd May. QPR are a league above us, have been in the Premier League more recently than us and are really a more attractive prospect all round. It's not like they sacked their manager yesterday and swooped in over us, they had a lot of time to plan this as well and they'll be hoping for a push towards the Premier League next season. What are we offering Beale that can match that even in the best possible scenario?
    Maybe, but I’m not applying the above to one candidate in isolation. It doesn’t take four weeks to run a process especially if the intention to sack Jackson predates the end of the season. 

The fact TS suggested it might take longer doesn’t make that necessary or ideal either.
    Did it though? Or was Thomas only considering sacking Jackson then, which MS knew when speaking to CW, only to  later get an itchy trigger finger after the Ipswich debacle! Apologies if this has already been made clear.
    More likely Ipswich was the outcome of TS’s intention than the cause of it. The players knew this was on the cards. I was told by a club contact on the way back from the game.
    Bless, the players' really chose when they wanted to play for Jacko or when they didn't fancy turning up.

Maybe their political stance is being given too much credit. They're simply shite apart from a few.
    I think motivation is a bit more complicated than that. They are people not robots. I’m not defending that performance or others during the season but if you don’t have everyone fully focused for whatever reason you are likely to fall short. I think the behind the scenes manoeuvring and the players’ perception of it is a big part of what happened last season.
    Is it true that there was also dressing room disharmony as a result of some being anti vaxers? 

I'm astonished to see you relate that the players knew Jackson was out before Ipswich, but he didn't. You can understand that, to an outsider, that sounds scarcely credible, but, if it's one of the known knowns now, I must say it sounds an unprofessional way of doing things. 

Plenty of room for improvement and must do better. Hopefully we will next season.
    Isn't this easily explained by the purported performance-related aspects to Jackson's contract? 

Let's say, for example, that the renewal was dependent on finishing in the top six.  At the time of the Ipswich game, this was not possible, so everyone (including Jackson) 'knew' that his time was over ... although Sandgaard had not formally 'let him go' at that point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

If not here, where? 
    Barnsley would probably be the only other club that made sense. 
    https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/barnsley-fc-director-of-football-not-in-tykes-plans-khaled-el-ahmad-3650203

Not likley but sounds very, very, familiar...... 
  • Options
    Not so much on here, but I find it odd seeing comments on twitter for example from fans saying they keep checking every 2 minutes to see if we’ve appointed anyone yet.  Not saying we don’t need this sorted imminently, but more puzzlement on my part that there is still that level of engagement and interest.  We’ve just had one of the worst seasons on record, the football was crap, the players are mediocre and it’s becoming quite clear that TS isn’t really delivering on the footballing front.  All of these, plus the fact we’re only a month from the finish of last season, is putting me off a lot of CAFC related stuff at the moment.

I admire a lot of the fans’ engagement still 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Not sure Man City need as much strengthening as our squad does. Might be wrong.
  • Options
    Alan Pardew sacked…
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Dave Rudd said:
    swordfish said:
    mendonca said:
    swordfish said:
    My concern is quite similar to what with seen in player recruitment the last couple of years. Doing a decent job in identifying good candidates, but failing to attract them here
    Posted that on 16th May and suspect that is what’s proven the case, particularly with Beale. 
    Likely problems: refusal to recognise the market rate, either in salary or on termination; for managers, the scope of the role.

We are not an unattractive proposition relative to most other third tier or provincial clubs. 
    Both obstacles are likely to lead to extended discussions. In fairness, this is the best time of year to accommodate delays, but at some point you have to compromise.
    That may well be part of it, but in terms of Beale, would it not just be that he got an offer we couldn't really match? QPR announced Warburton was leaving on 28th April. Charlton sacked Jackson on 2nd May. QPR are a league above us, have been in the Premier League more recently than us and are really a more attractive prospect all round. It's not like they sacked their manager yesterday and swooped in over us, they had a lot of time to plan this as well and they'll be hoping for a push towards the Premier League next season. What are we offering Beale that can match that even in the best possible scenario?
    Maybe, but I’m not applying the above to one candidate in isolation. It doesn’t take four weeks to run a process especially if the intention to sack Jackson predates the end of the season. 

The fact TS suggested it might take longer doesn’t make that necessary or ideal either.
    Did it though? Or was Thomas only considering sacking Jackson then, which MS knew when speaking to CW, only to  later get an itchy trigger finger after the Ipswich debacle! Apologies if this has already been made clear.
    More likely Ipswich was the outcome of TS’s intention than the cause of it. The players knew this was on the cards. I was told by a club contact on the way back from the game.
    Bless, the players' really chose when they wanted to play for Jacko or when they didn't fancy turning up.

Maybe their political stance is being given too much credit. They're simply shite apart from a few.
    I think motivation is a bit more complicated than that. They are people not robots. I’m not defending that performance or others during the season but if you don’t have everyone fully focused for whatever reason you are likely to fall short. I think the behind the scenes manoeuvring and the players’ perception of it is a big part of what happened last season.
    Is it true that there was also dressing room disharmony as a result of some being anti vaxers? 

I'm astonished to see you relate that the players knew Jackson was out before Ipswich, but he didn't. You can understand that, to an outsider, that sounds scarcely credible, but, if it's one of the known knowns now, I must say it sounds an unprofessional way of doing things. 

Plenty of room for improvement and must do better. Hopefully we will next season.
    Isn't this easily explained by the purported performance-related aspects to Jackson's contract? 

Let's say, for example, that the renewal was dependent on finishing in the top six.  At the time of the Ipswich game, this was not possible, so everyone (including Jackson) 'knew' that his time was over ... although Sandgaard had not formally 'let him go' at that point.
    The renewal wasn't the issue, it was how much it would cost to sack him.  He was still under contract so Thomas still had to do something. 
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Not sure Man City need as much strengthening as our squad does. Might be wrong.
    I'd probably just about agree, although not sure what point you're making. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Can't really believe that Thomas is still interviewing, or if he is we must be down to the same group of losers, misfits and mentally unsound that respond to police appeals for information in major crime cases.
    Stop farting around and announce Garner.
    No idea whether he will make the step up, but I could get excited by the appointment provided he is given his head in respect of choice of assistants and recruitment.
    If he has those foisted on him then he is already on the back foot.
    Or choice 1 and choice 2 have rejected ... 
    Well, quite probably.
    I don't actually know what our appeal is now to anybody with any pedigree (unless they are unemployed and slightly desperate or past it)
    It's not like we are some kind of sleeping giant.
    More like a catatonic hunchback
    Great stadium with potential to expand, good supporter base (filled one half of Wembley at recent playoff final), decent history, London based, which appeals to some at least. 
    It is a great stadium, albeit we don't own it so I don't see any expansion likely, even if we were filling the stadium. Plus, the land behind the east was sold off which I believe scuppers any expansion that side.
    Yes, we filled our end at Wembley, but unless we are challenging next season I foresee a lot of 4-figure attendances.
    Of course we are a more attractive proposition than many if not most of our League One small town competitors, but I was thinking in terms of attracting anybody with real pedigree but I don't see we have any pulling power.
    Beyond the above, which is really just wallpaper, we are now an established mid-table league one club with a pool of mostly mediocre players. 
    That is before we get to any concerns the potential recruit may have about choice of assistants or player recruitment.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Alan Pardew sacked…
    Or left due to racist abuse his players were getting from their own fans? 
    No idea. Didn’t know that had happened 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Alan Pardew sacked…
    That would tie in with what he was saying 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Alan Pardew sacked…
    So just made up the fact he got sacked then? Was a pretty bizarre appointment, just scrapped a month there. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Alan Pardew sacked…
    So just made up the fact he got sacked then? Was a pretty bizarre appointment, just scrapped a month there. 
    Saw he left. That’s literally it. With Pardew it’s always safe to assume he’s been sacked. 

Made it up? Do one. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    swordfish said:
    mendonca said:
    swordfish said:

The renewal was it the issue, it was how much it would cost to sack him.  He was still under contract so Thomas still had to do something. 
    I think I've unravelled what you are trying to say.

My understanding is that Jackson was not sacked ... it was that Sandgaard chose not to extend his contract (presumably due to failing to meet the agreed performance criteria).

Here's my source:

Jackson out as Charlton boss as Addicks opt against contract extension | Evening Standard

Now, if you know differently ... fair enough.

Do you?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Pardew just walked past me on the phone, by London Bridge, overheard him saying “it was horrible, really nasty…”

It’s a sign.
    Had you just dropped your guts?
    Think he was referring to the new song Thomas had played him at the interview 
    Pardew is now available….
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Pardew just walked past me on the phone, by London Bridge, overheard him saying “it was horrible, really nasty…”

It’s a sign.
    Had you just dropped your guts?
    Think he was referring to the new song Thomas had played him at the interview 
    Pardew is now available….
    It would take an owner of breathtaking arrogance to think he knows better than the fanbase…

*hang on, what’s the new song called again?…