Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Either of Warburton or Beale would be my first choices but both are probably out of our realistic range maybe. Taylor is a decent pick but I would prefer to have gone for Duff (Cheltenham) or Bonner (Cambridge) who have followed their promotions with good first years at this level. Will still be reasonably pleased with Taylor if he gets it
  • Options
    Can anyone with more knowledge give me some information on why Matt Taylor is so sort after (apart from the obvious has achieved promotion).

I’ve watched a couple of interviews with him and like the way he articulates himself, but will be interested to know what sort of football Exeter play, what sort of budget he was working towards, how good their youth system is etc.
    Makes a first class lamb roast and is a really good cuddler.

Also got Exeter promoted on a shoestring. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    i have to say if was to be Beale the big delay would make sense, i find it hard to believe TE didn’t have someone lined up ready to come right in , so it kinda make sense if Villa have said he can’t leave until the end of the season
    Why do you find that hard to believe?  He had nobody lined up when he sacked smiley Nigel
  • Options
    Huge club like Charlton?
    It's not even a step up according to some.
    I honestly assumed he was being sarcastic mate.
    Maybe says more about my current state of mind  :/
  • Options
    Bowyer sacked....

Gary Bowyer that is.
  • Options
    If it is to be Taylor, I think I'm right in saying that it will be the first time since Nelson (48 years ago) that a manager has been prepared to leave a club while still under contract to "better himself" at CAFC? Feel the warm glow as our self esteem rises!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Can anyone with more knowledge give me some information on why Matt Taylor is so sort after (apart from the obvious has achieved promotion).

I’ve watched a couple of interviews with him and like the way he articulates himself, but will be interested to know what sort of football Exeter play, what sort of budget he was working towards, how good their youth system is etc.
    He wasn't mentioned before Exeter were promoted at his 4th attempt.
    The fact that he's ex-Charlton, we are obsessed with bringing back ex-players and he's comparatively young are the only other reasons that I can see.
    He’s done an excellent job at Exeter, in what has been a difficult few years for them to build a sustained push. Each year, to balance the books, they sell their best players. We’ve tried to get a couple of them over the last few seasons I believe. They’ve always been close to promotion, indeed could have been promoted the year of covid if it hadn’t stopped early.

He seems to be well respected by his players and is all about pushing forward together as a club.

He is a little more out of the Powell mould of hard work, team spirit and togetherness as opposed to Rob Edwards who is more consistent high press, and trying to win the ball back as high up the pitch as he can.

He would be a very sound appointment and it is good to get a manager on the up if he did indeed get the job.
    Took Curbs a few attempts to get promoted as well. He was rubbish. 
  • Options
    If it is to be Taylor, I think I'm right in saying that it will be the first time since Nelson (48 years ago) that a manager has been prepared to leave a club while still under contract to "better himself" at CAFC? Feel the warm glow as our self esteem rises!
    Dowie did the same but tried resigning to get round the compensation 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

The fact that he's ex-Charlton, we are obsessed with bringing back ex-players and he's comparatively young are the only other reasons that I can see.
    He’s done an excellent job at Exeter, in what has been a difficult few years for them to build a sustained push. Each year, to balance the books, they sell their best players. We’ve tried to get a couple of them over the last few seasons I believe. They’ve always been close to promotion, indeed could have been promoted the year of covid if it hadn’t stopped early.

He seems to be well respected by his players and is all about pushing forward together as a club.

He is a little more out of the Powell mould of hard work, team spirit and togetherness as opposed to Rob Edwards who is more consistent high press, and trying to win the ball back as high up the pitch as he can.

He would be a very sound appointment and it is good to get a manager on the up if he did indeed get the job.
    Thank you for the informative response. I do wonder if that fits in with TS vision for the how he wants the club to play football moving forwards. 

As mentioned I do like how he comes across in interviews, however part of me feels if we are going to make a new appointment now I would like someone with a complete different ethos to Bowyer and Jackson. To be honest I would just like to be able to watch a team that can pass it through the middle of the pitch quickly and get exciting players on the ball in attacking positions. 

I know people often tend to look down at the quality of football in the lower leagues, and of course it is no where near as good as the premiership - however it is lightyears ahead of what it was 10 or so years ago, and good coaching with the right players can certainly lead to some half decent football.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    LTKapal said:
    A slightly more substantial source, still crossing my fingers for Beale or Warburton though 
    Whooosh.

Check the date.
    Yeah. Everyone saying TS weren't prepared. He was sourcing someone in 2011 ffs!
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Dowie did the same but tried resigning to get round the compensation 
    He got Simon Jordan to release him from his contract on the basis that he wanted to move back up North for family reasons, and then joined us.
  • Options
    Well if it is Taylor we should all get behind him and it is better it is announced now than drags on.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Took Curbs a few attempts to get promoted as well. He was rubbish. 
    I never thought  Curbishley  was rubbish...we had been at West Ham when he joined. The club had other things to do like survive back at the Valley. 

All that hard work by the supporters and Varney et Al and it ends up in the hands of Roland Two shit houses. Grrr.
    Was a joke
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Croydon said:
    Bearing in mind Curbs already works for the club on the tv channel and has seen most of our games last season.  I do think TS would be mad not to have a chat with him about footballing matters at the club and get his views. Might be worth considering involving him  if willing in the interview process. For I know that might already be happening or Curbs might prefer not to get involved with any of it.
    Curbs thinks Gilbey is good. That should be enough for you all to realise that he has been out of the game for too long.
    Probably different interpretations of ‘good’. I think Gilbey is good in the sense that he has the technical  ability to travel with the ball at his feet with pace far higher than the vast majority of players at L1 level, and that should be a real asset to the team. But it’s not been utilised in the right way, attacking the right zones from the right angles, and I think overall he had a poor season. I’m sure there are varying reasons for that. 

Curbs can bring me in as his young assistant if he likes…
    Correct.  At League 1 level, Gilbey should be a star.

If the new guy gets him firing, you will see a Rolls-Royce of a player next season.
    I think he sometimes looks that way when he’s running with the ball, but to be a star you have to do something with it, and too often his final pass went astray, or he just lost the ball. His first touch is a bit so so as well. With some players we tend to forget their mistakes, and Gilbey is one of those. The complete opposite to a player like Naby Sarr perhaps. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does Taylor fit in with TS saying that the aim was to go more high profile than Michael Beale ? It clearly doesn’t. I think this Taylor “done deal” is nothing of the sort. I still don’t think it’s him or at least if it is he wasn’t first choice. 
  • Options

There are tons of posts about this earlier in the thread @FishCostaFortune, and from memory weren’t they saying that he performed wonders with a tiny budget, culminating in the promotion, and along the way they played nice football?
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:

Thank you for the informative response. I do wonder if that fits in with TS vision for the how he wants the club to play football moving forwards. 

As mentioned I do like how he comes across in interviews, however part of me feels if we are going to make a new appointment now I would like someone with a complete different ethos to Bowyer and Jackson. To be honest I would just like to be able to watch a team that can pass it through the middle of the pitch quickly and get exciting players on the ball in attacking positions. 

I know people often tend to look down at the quality of football in the lower leagues, and of course it is no where near as good as the premiership - however it is lightyears ahead of what it was 10 or so years ago, and good coaching with the right players can certainly lead to some half decent football.
    The quality in the lower leagues is light years above where it used to be and there is an excellent growing trend of young coaches cutting their teeth in the lower leagues and earning their way up unlike big names going straight into clubs because they were great players. 

I think the advance of coaches such as Tuchel and Klopp, who were decent players but nothing great, has finally allowed clubs to take more risks and realise that to be a great coach/manager you don’t need to have been a great player.

Agree with you about whether Taylor fits the exact mould TS was referring to, but I think he ticks more boxes than most. And as others have alluded to, with Stockley and Aneke, we are not currently designed for a really high pressing game as you’d need to do that from the front and that is not their game.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

If we want someone who will, potentially, build for the future as opposed to a short term fix then why not go for a Manager with a proven record for doing so and who carries no baggage with him. There are clues from what our supporters who know him said when he left us and what Exeter fans are saying now so far as his personality is concerned. But we also know that he likes his sides to play entertaining football, that he is tactically sound and knows who and what type of player to bring in. In fact, he sounds very much like Eddie Howe and his playing background is similar too - I don't think Howe ever played above League 1. 

And for those that still have doubts about his ability to produce the magical, from five years ago when he was the Exeter defensive coach, please watch this!
    The biggest problem, which seems to escape most people, is if there is no short term fix you can't build for the future.

In the, almost, two years Sandgaard has owned us he is about 20 million, give or take, in the red.  He owns a year plus 1 option on Dobson's contract and not a lot else.

Cat 1 academy is going to increase the running costs, not reduce them.  

TV revenue and central payments aren't going to substantially increase.  The elusive game changing sponsorship deal is never going to happen.

Do you think anyone is going to gift, because he isnt going to get it back, another 20-30 million on the bases of it might pay off in 3 or 4 years?  And then they can lose another 10 a year in the championship?

That's not a pro or anti Taylor comment, it's a reflection of the reality we actually face.  If we are in the 3rd division for 4 more years Thomas won't still be here.
  • Options
    How Dowie came to us is a moot point, although my understanding is that he resigned from Palace as he needed to move further North for family reasons, so was a free agent when approached. Strictly speaking he did move North, if the map and lines of latitude don't lie. What isn't a moot point is that he was utterly useless.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MarcusH26 said:
    Bit of a left field name and hasn't really done much since leaving Huddersfield but what about David Wagner as an option? Would give TS his high press for sure. 
    Hasn't he just left a team that play in the champions league every season? 
    Yeah left Young Boys in Switzerland after coming 15 points behind FC Zurich. 

I doubt there's any chance of him even being interested but I thought I'd suggest it anyway 
    Not the best thing to have on your CV
    One of your better ones Dicky, still not going to lol it though.
  • Options
    Doubt any of it is straight forward and alot of negotiations regarding contracts wages and the people/teams they want to bring in with them 

no doubt our lot want to force euell and goalkeeper coach on them and this could be the sticking points atm