Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    It's been a week today since JJ got sacked, and TS should have made an appointment by now.

The fact that he hasn't shows that it was a petulant, unplanned, ill-thought out sacking.

I'm curious as to why you think this.

I literally just said this to someone.

When Roland employed Luzon/Riga i cant remember which its blurred that time, everyone was moaning saying it was  to quick him and KM didnt do a good enough search.

So why now TS is looking properly is it apparently to long.

Surely its better he gets the correct appointment even if it takes 7-14 days from the day JJ was sacked?

Are you just looking for a reason to moan?
    A stick to beat TS with?

We are not the only club without a manager atm

Lincoln haven't had a manager for 10 days
    Fleetwood magical 7 day(according to you) is up tomorrow.

Does that mean they have been poorly managed or do they not count, as Ts doesn't own them
    I've come in for criticism here so I shall explain my reasoning:

It had been clear for several months that we weren't going either up or down a division.
    For those last few months we were generally in 13th- 17th place, weren't we? Therefore TS either thought:
    A. This is bad but I trust that JJ can sort it out for next season.
    B. This is bad and I need to change manager.

If it were B then he should have replaced him with a month or more to go so that the new manager can make his assessments.
    If it were A then he appears to have changed his mind at the last minute, probably due to the Ipswich result. My opinion is that this is what's happened. That's why I call it a petulant decision. It can't be because of our final position as we finished the season in almost the highest position we'd reached all season.

I may be wrong. What I know for sure was that I thought TS was great when he bought the club and I'm still thankful for that. What I now think is that he doesn't have a clue how to run a football club, and that we'll finish lower next season and then the next and so on until he changes his ways.

Most fans think it's B.
    The reason being Washington was as good as told this a few weeks before the Ipswich game.
    The most likely reason JJ wasn't sacked sooner, was because TS would have had to pay out less (if any) compensation by waiting until the season ended and JJ had "failed" the agreed contract.

Fair enough but it's now two weeks since he sacked Jackson and he still hasn't appointed a new manager. If it's B then he should have appointed someone by now. The only good reason why not would be if it's a manager of a play-off team.

Perhaps 'most fans' are wrong and it's A.

• Options
    It's been a week today since JJ got sacked, and TS should have made an appointment by now.

The fact that he hasn't shows that it was a petulant, unplanned, ill-thought out sacking.

When Roland employed Luzon/Riga i cant remember which its blurred that time, everyone was moaning saying it was  to quick him and KM didnt do a good enough search.

Surely its better he gets the correct appointment even if it takes 7-14 days from the day JJ was sacked?

A stick to beat TS with?

Does that mean they have been poorly managed or do they not count, as Ts doesn't own them

It had been clear for several months that we weren't going either up or down a division.
    For those last few months we were generally in 13th- 17th place, weren't we? Therefore TS either thought:

If it were B then he should have replaced him with a month or more to go so that the new manager can make his assessments.
    If it were A then he appears to have changed his mind at the last minute, probably due to the Ipswich result. My opinion is that this is what's happened. That's why I call it a petulant decision. It can't be because of our final position as we finished the season in almost the highest position we'd reached all season.

I may be wrong. What I know for sure was that I thought TS was great when he bought the club and I'm still thankful for that. What I now think is that he doesn't have a clue how to run a football club, and that we'll finish lower next season and then the next and so on until he changes his ways.

Most fans think it's B.
    The reason being Washington was as good as told this a few weeks before the Ipswich game.
    The most likely reason JJ wasn't sacked sooner, was because TS would have had to pay out less (if any) compensation by waiting until the season ended and JJ had "failed" the agreed contract.

Fair enough but it's now two weeks since he sacked Jackson and he still hasn't appointed a new manager. If it's B then he should have appointed someone by now. The only good reason why not would be if it's a manager of a play-off team.

Or some candidates have been away for a short break after the season ended, like Jackson did.

Or some are coaches at Prem clubs so their season hasn’t ended

Or we were negotiating but someone turned it down (more of a bad reason but could be the case)

etc
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Is TS even in the country?
    3AM interviews are never good
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Bearing in mind Curbs already works for the club on the tv channel and has seen most of our games last season.  I do think TS would be mad not to have a chat with him about footballing matters at the club and get his views. Might be worth considering involving him  if willing in the interview process. For I know that might already be happening or Curbs might prefer not to get involved with any of it.
    Curbs thinks Gilbey is good. That should be enough for you all to realise that he has been out of the game for too long.
    Gilbey isn’t a bad player. I’ve seen him run games when he wants to. Sadly, that’s the problem. Sometimes he turns up, sometimes he doesn’t, same with Lee.

Gilbey at home to Ipswich was excellent. Erratic performances after that but he still did the runs but there was no end products.
    The two yellow cards against Lincoln proved his brain is faulty.

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    LTKapal said:
    A slightly more substantial source, still crossing my fingers for Beale or Warburton though 
    Whooosh.

Check the date.
    Don't I look like a twat! 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Can anyone with more knowledge give me some information on why Matt Taylor is so sort after (apart from the obvious has achieved promotion).

I’ve watched a couple of interviews with him and like the way he articulates himself, but will be interested to know what sort of football Exeter play, what sort of budget he was working towards, how good their youth system is etc.
    He wasn't mentioned before Exeter were promoted at his 4th attempt.
    The fact that he's ex-Charlton, we are obsessed with bringing back ex-players and he's comparatively young are the only other reasons that I can see.
    He’s done an excellent job at Exeter, in what has been a difficult few years for them to build a sustained push. Each year, to balance the books, they sell their best players. We’ve tried to get a couple of them over the last few seasons I believe. They’ve always been close to promotion, indeed could have been promoted the year of covid if it hadn’t stopped early.

He seems to be well respected by his players and is all about pushing forward together as a club.

He is a little more out of the Powell mould of hard work, team spirit and togetherness as opposed to Rob Edwards who is more consistent high press, and trying to win the ball back as high up the pitch as he can.

He would be a very sound appointment and it is good to get a manager on the up if he did indeed get the job.
    Thank you for the informative response. I do wonder if that fits in with TS vision for the how he wants the club to play football moving forwards. 

As mentioned I do like how he comes across in interviews, however part of me feels if we are going to make a new appointment now I would like someone with a complete different ethos to Bowyer and Jackson. To be honest I would just like to be able to watch a team that can pass it through the middle of the pitch quickly and get exciting players on the ball in attacking positions. 

I know people often tend to look down at the quality of football in the lower leagues, and of course it is no where near as good as the premiership - however it is lightyears ahead of what it was 10 or so years ago, and good coaching with the right players can certainly lead to some half decent football.
    The quality in the lower leagues is light years above where it used to be and there is an excellent growing trend of young coaches cutting their teeth in the lower leagues and earning their way up unlike big names going straight into clubs because they were great players. 

I think the advance of coaches such as Tuchel and Klopp, who were decent players but nothing great, has finally allowed clubs to take more risks and realise that to be a great coach/manager you don’t need to have been a great player.

Agree with you about whether Taylor fits the exact mould TS was referring to, but I think he ticks more boxes than most. And as others have alluded to, with Stockley and Aneke, we are not currently designed for a really high pressing game as you’d need to do that from the front and that is not their game.
    This is a myth Ferguson, Wenger, Fagan, Paisley, Chapman and countless managers before, and after, them weren't great players either.

""I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first." Arrigo Sacchi 

Parma

Serie C1: 1985–86

Milan

Serie A: 1987–88
    Supercoppa Italiana: 1988
    European Cup: 1988–89, 1989–90
    European Super Cup: 1989, 1990
    Intercontinental Cup: 1989, 1990
    Coppa Italia Runners-up: 1989–90
    Italy

FIFA World Cup Runners-up: 1994
    Individual

Seminatore d'Oro: 1988, 1989

World Soccer Awards Manager of the Year: 1989

Greatest Manager of All Time – one of 5 managersranked top 10 by France Football, World Soccer and ESPN

3rd place (France Football): 2019

6th place (World Soccer): 2013

6th place (ESPN): 2013

European Coach of the Year—Sepp Herberger Award: 1989

European Coach of the Season: 1989–90

Italian Football Hall of Fame: 2011

He never played higher than Sunday league.

But yeah it's all Klopp and Tuchel.
  • Options
    It always amazes me the difference a Manager can make look at Eddie Howe and Newcastle they are a different team under him and it isnt like they have had the chance to spend mega bucks yet but they looked odds on for relegation this year. For me he wins Manager of the season. Forest is another example along with Spurs. All proof the worth of getting the Manager that suits the squad
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Can anyone with more knowledge give me some information on why Matt Taylor is so sort after (apart from the obvious has achieved promotion).

I’ve watched a couple of interviews with him and like the way he articulates himself, but will be interested to know what sort of football Exeter play, what sort of budget he was working towards, how good their youth system is etc.
    The fact that he's ex-Charlton, we are obsessed with bringing back ex-players and he's comparatively young are the only other reasons that I can see.
    He’s done an excellent job at Exeter, in what has been a difficult few years for them to build a sustained push. Each year, to balance the books, they sell their best players. We’ve tried to get a couple of them over the last few seasons I believe. They’ve always been close to promotion, indeed could have been promoted the year of covid if it hadn’t stopped early.

He seems to be well respected by his players and is all about pushing forward together as a club.

He is a little more out of the Powell mould of hard work, team spirit and togetherness as opposed to Rob Edwards who is more consistent high press, and trying to win the ball back as high up the pitch as he can.

He would be a very sound appointment and it is good to get a manager on the up if he did indeed get the job.
    Thank you for the informative response. I do wonder if that fits in with TS vision for the how he wants the club to play football moving forwards. 

As mentioned I do like how he comes across in interviews, however part of me feels if we are going to make a new appointment now I would like someone with a complete different ethos to Bowyer and Jackson. To be honest I would just like to be able to watch a team that can pass it through the middle of the pitch quickly and get exciting players on the ball in attacking positions. 

I know people often tend to look down at the quality of football in the lower leagues, and of course it is no where near as good as the premiership - however it is lightyears ahead of what it was 10 or so years ago, and good coaching with the right players can certainly lead to some half decent football.
    The quality in the lower leagues is light years above where it used to be and there is an excellent growing trend of young coaches cutting their teeth in the lower leagues and earning their way up unlike big names going straight into clubs because they were great players. 

I think the advance of coaches such as Tuchel and Klopp, who were decent players but nothing great, has finally allowed clubs to take more risks and realise that to be a great coach/manager you don’t need to have been a great player.

Agree with you about whether Taylor fits the exact mould TS was referring to, but I think he ticks more boxes than most. And as others have alluded to, with Stockley and Aneke, we are not currently designed for a really high pressing game as you’d need to do that from the front and that is not their game.
    This is a myth Ferguson, Wenger, Fagan, Paisley, Chapman and countless managers before, and after, them weren't great players either.

""I never realised that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first." Arrigo Sacchi 

Parma

Milan

Italy

Individual

Greatest Manager of All Time – one of 5 managersranked top 10 by France Football, World Soccer and ESPN

Ferguson was decent. Paisley won trophies and captained Liverpool though? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Parma

Milan

Italy

Individual

Ferguson was decent. Paisley won trophies and captained Liverpool though? 
    Ferguson was probably about as good as Klopp.  Paisley was also a member of the Liverpool team that got relegated from the top flight.  I don't think you could label him a great player.  He was probably better than Jose and Sacchi though. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

A stick to beat TS with?

Most fans think it's B.

Or some candidates have been away for a short break after the season ended, like Jackson did.

Or some are coaches at Prem clubs so their season hasn’t ended

Or we were negotiating but someone turned it down (more of a bad reason but could be the case)

etc
    Or we are still interviewing candidates,

Or we are still negotiating terms,

Or numerous other possible reasons.

But guaranteed it isn't true, that the only possible reason we haven't appointed a manager, is because they are a manager of a play off team. It's one of many possibilities.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don’t think the ex-Charlton thing is playing much of a part in the discussion personally. It’s not as if we’re talking about someone who is a Charlton legend like a Powell or Jackson. And it’s not as if TS would have known or cared too much about Taylor’s history of Charlton. 

If he’d never had played for Charlton, he’d still be in the discussion, and that’s because we’re currently not in much of a position to be attracting names of a higher stature.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Parma

Milan

Italy

Individual

I was more implying that it goes through phases. And at the moment these managers doing really well, having not had illustrations playing careers, means that other clubs further down the pyramid follow suit.

I do think that clubs and fans sometimes get more excited about a big name than a well respected coach.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    RC_CAFC said:

Parma

Milan

Italy

Individual

I was more implying that it goes through phases. And at the moment these managers doing really well, having not had illustrations playing careers, means that other clubs further down the pyramid follow suit.

I do think that clubs and fans sometimes get more excited about a big name than a well respected coach.
    But you can draw that through history.  Jose win his last major trophy before Klopp won his first.  Jose won his first before Wenger won his last.  Fagan won a European trophy after SAF won his first etc etc it's not new.

The trends tend to be Klopp is good let's get a German or Jose is good let's get a Portuguese one.  There were loads of them after he first got the Chelsea gig.  The latest one is let's employ someone that once drunk a can of red ball.  Its no different to the "he knows the club" bollocks.
  • Options
    Paisley and Fagen were both top flight players and Paisley won the league with Liverpool.

Both would have played more games but for the war.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:
    Redrobo said:
    LTKapal said:
    A slightly more substantial source, still crossing my fingers for Beale or Warburton though 
    Whooosh.

Check the date.
    Don't I look like a twat! 
    I fell for it as well mate so we can be a pair of twats 
  • Options
    Paisley and Fagen were both top flight players and Paisley won the league with Liverpool.

So was Klopp.

None of them were great players.  Neither were Van Gaal, Joachim Löw, or many many others.  

Very very few people are great at both.  

Funny enough Paisley sort of proves the point he is still only one of 5 people to win the english league as both a player and manager.  Not much less than have done it in the world Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Bearing in mind Curbs already works for the club on the tv channel and has seen most of our games last season.  I do think TS would be mad not to have a chat with him about footballing matters at the club and get his views. Might be worth considering involving him  if willing in the interview process. For I know that might already be happening or Curbs might prefer not to get involved with any of it.
    Curbs thinks Gilbey is good. That should be enough for you all to realise that he has been out of the game for too long.
    Gilbey isn’t a bad player. I’ve seen him run games when he wants to. Sadly, that’s the problem. Sometimes he turns up, sometimes he doesn’t, same with Lee.

Gilbey at home to Ipswich was excellent. Erratic performances after that but he still did the runs but there was no end products.
    The two yellow cards against Lincoln proved his brain is faulty.

Pompey away too. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    SamB09 said:
    AndyG said:
    It always amazes me the difference a Manager can make look at Eddie Howe and Newcastle they are a different team under him and it isnt like they have had the chance to spend mega bucks yet but they looked odds on for relegation this year. For me he wins Manager of the season. Forest is another example along with Spurs. All proof the worth of getting the Manager that suits the squad
    They spent 90m on 4 players
    But apart from that and the FFP breaches at Bournemouth he has worked wonders.  Right?

He has been a manager for for ever and I still don't actually know how good he is.

His 1st Bournemouth spell and Burnley are probably the best measure.

Wasn't a great player either :p
  • Options
    Late to the discussion so might already had a mention
    Lennie Lawrence arguably Addicks best manager since Seed, did not play above non league before being appointed 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    A manager who suits the squad is one that looks at what he has and builds a team around that.
  • Options
    Lennie Lawrence arguably Addicks best manager since Seed, did not play above non league before being appointed 
    wouldnt mind him back as dof with curbs manager and bowyer assistant

and JJ as coach
  • Options
    Neither did Woy, Sven wasn't up for the ballon d'or either.
  • Options

and JJ as coach
    Where would chris Powel fit into this?
  • Options

and JJ as coach
    Where would chris Powel fit into this?
    He could play left back - a much better option that what we currently have. 
  • Options

Don’t mention the war. If it wasn’t for Hitler we’d be massive. Probably. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    No way should Howe get manager of the year. 

he spent a lot of money and all he had to do was tell them to stop playing shit.  They had a number of decent players underperforming because of the shit manager

steve Bruce is about as good as Iain dowie these days and he zapped any momentum they had.  He’s an atmosphere hoover of a man