Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Fumbluff said:
    Been at a funeral today, what have I missed?
    Did someone say Martin was actually Ro-lands son?
    You have missed a belter of a day.

@RonnieMoore is a pilot, we are playing Swanley in a friendly,
    Mr largo has been advised to move his toilet seat closer to his front door, somebody is annoyed that Andy Carroll ended up in bed with 2 woman and AFKA has been roaming the streets of London singing God save the Queen.

I almost forgot amongst all the excitement , it seems the news of Ben Chorley leaving Swindon only filtered through to Finland 2 days after the event. 
    You misunderstood my gripe,I dont give a toss who Andy Carroll goes to bed with,nor for that matter do 99.9 pc of the world.My moan was that it was deemed worthy of saturation cover and front pages of newspapers.Enjoyed your comments though just about summed up events at the moment.
    It's not saturation coverage in decent newspapers, it's not even mentioned. 
    I know,but you try and stop my wife buying the sun.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    What part of the Brentford model is attractive to Thomas Sandgaard or our fan base ?

They have no academies but are in the Premier by buying good young players like Toney who's agent will no doubt be looking to get him a transfer soon.

We are the polar opposite as we sell our better younger players.

They play friendlies games with a reserve side.

We need the next manager to have more faith in getting our better youngsters into the first team squad and Sandgaard not selling them within half a dozen games. 
    The elephant in the room is probably that the "Brentford model" just doesn't work post Brexit. They were fuelled by significant investment and time spent in international scouting, resulting in bringing in talent for less than the competition and then being able to sell them for many times more or being able to retain them and grow them as they rose up the leagues. They wouldn't have got work permits for most of the players they signed now.

This is also why most of the serious talent in L1 and L2 is just getting sucked into the Championship without an intermediate stop at one of the bigger/higher spending L1 teams.
    Yup the Brentford model doesn't work any more, at our level and the Peterborough model doesn't work either for the reasons in your last paragraph.

I don't think people realise the effect of championship clubs not being able to buy foreign players has on league 1.  We probably wouldn't have been able to sign Stephens, Wiggins, Morrison or Yann if it was like that then. 
    Agree and good point on Peterborough. The options are really narrowed now to -

1. Academy prioritisation (albeit we will get raided constantly particularly while we are in L1 and not a Cat 1 and there is no guarantee we get enough quality players through and under contract to use it to generate either better squads or profit on the investment).

2. PL/Champ loans - we've tried this but safe to say it's been below par in the past... if we had the current environment now we may well not have got Beilik and Cullen in 2018 (sucked into Championship player shortfall vortex).

3. Non league - big risk, potentially big reward.

4. Out of contract players from above - come with experience and higher salary demands and no sell on potential. We've lost this strategy massively in the last couple of season when you compare say Pratley to Watson and Gunter.

5. Targeting what's left of the best in L1 and L2 - risky picking up the leftovers from Championship clubs, the highest ceiling players will have gone unless we go in early or the odd sensible player comes along like Twine who takes a prudent middle step to win a much better move in future. However we were apparently never in for Twine because by that stage we were too fixated with bringing in his predecessor who was already beyond our reach.

6. Play the yo yo game and exploit the income/reserves differential when you get relegated (but you've got to yo first to get there!).

• Cafc43v3r said:
    supaclive said:
    If TS has genuinely stopped transfers as he doesn't rate them and the manager doesn't get to say who/what we need, we are doubly fucked.

Nevermind.

Always next season.....
    He has not … just more rubbish 
    Despite Thomas himself saying he has?  Did you miss that on 

Asked if there was a danger he was interfering too much in first-team affairs, Sandgaard said: ““I obviously did not interfere with team selections for the games We need someone with a different type of experience. I’m not suggesting I will take the manager’s role and be down on pitch-side every day with the lads. That’s not my place. There are people much better at that and more qualified. No, I’m not going to be the manager or head coach.”

Think that’s pretty clear … move on 
    Why do you post all this stuff? What satisfaction do you get?
    Very sad.
    He's after a reaction & likes people talking about him so he can tell ittv how he enjoys winding people up on CL
  • Pardew just walked past me on the phone, by London Bridge, overheard him saying “it was horrible, really nasty…”

It’s a sign.
    Had you just dropped your guts?
  • edited June 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Just seen the video of Jonathan Ackworth up in Preston giving Rick Parry a letter regarding Sandgaard.

We do have some weird fans. 

Embarrassing. 
    Is this on twitter or something ? Do we know the contents of the letter ?  :D

Edit. Seen it now
  • My concern is quite similar to what with seen in player recruitment the last couple of years. Doing a decent job in identifying good candidates, but failing to attract them here
    Posted that on 16th May and suspect that is what’s proven the case, particularly with Beale. 
    Likely problems: refusal to recognise the market rate, either in salary or on termination; for managers, the scope of the role.

We are not an unattractive proposition relative to most other third tier or provincial clubs. 
    Both obstacles are likely to lead to extended discussions. In fairness, this is the best time of year to accommodate delays, but at some point you have to compromise.
    That may well be part of it, but in terms of Beale, would it not just be that he got an offer we couldn't really match? QPR announced Warburton was leaving on 28th April. Charlton sacked Jackson on 2nd May. QPR are a league above us, have been in the Premier League more recently than us and are really a more attractive prospect all round. It's not like they sacked their manager yesterday and swooped in over us, they had a lot of time to plan this as well and they'll be hoping for a push towards the Premier League next season. What are we offering Beale that can match that even in the best possible scenario?
    Maybe, but I’m not applying the above to one candidate in isolation. It doesn’t take four weeks to run a process especially if the intention to sack Jackson predates the end of the season. 

The fact TS suggested it might take longer doesn’t make that necessary or ideal either.
    Did it though? Or was Thomas only considering sacking Jackson then, which MS knew when speaking to CW, only to  later get an itchy trigger finger after the Ipswich debacle! Apologies if this has already been made clear.
  • RoanRedNY said:
    Barnsley still looking for a manager ahead of their own probable squad rebuild. Trying to get onto BarnsleyLife to see what they're saying.

Charlton managerless since 3rd May. Barnsley managerless since 8th May (season ended a week later than ours).
    Get money on a Charlton - Barnsley 1st & 2nd for promotion. Its a sign. 
    Repeat of 18/19...

Charlton, Barnsley and the team who finished 2nd in League Two the year before... Exeter.
    If that happens I'll have the lyrics of Addicks to victory tattooed on my arse 
    As the lyrics are shite, your arse can sing it too
    Well I've been told I talk out of it, so I'll give it a go.. I can also add a brass section.
  • Pardew just walked past me on the phone, by London Bridge, overheard him saying “it was horrible, really nasty…”

It’s a sign.
    Should have interrupted saying: "Now you know how we all felt watching Charlton under you"
  • edited June 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    swordfish said:
    My concern is quite similar to what with seen in player recruitment the last couple of years. Doing a decent job in identifying good candidates, but failing to attract them here
    Posted that on 16th May and suspect that is what’s proven the case, particularly with Beale. 
    Likely problems: refusal to recognise the market rate, either in salary or on termination; for managers, the scope of the role.

We are not an unattractive proposition relative to most other third tier or provincial clubs. 
    Both obstacles are likely to lead to extended discussions. In fairness, this is the best time of year to accommodate delays, but at some point you have to compromise.
    That may well be part of it, but in terms of Beale, would it not just be that he got an offer we couldn't really match? QPR announced Warburton was leaving on 28th April. Charlton sacked Jackson on 2nd May. QPR are a league above us, have been in the Premier League more recently than us and are really a more attractive prospect all round. It's not like they sacked their manager yesterday and swooped in over us, they had a lot of time to plan this as well and they'll be hoping for a push towards the Premier League next season. What are we offering Beale that can match that even in the best possible scenario?
    Maybe, but I’m not applying the above to one candidate in isolation. It doesn’t take four weeks to run a process especially if the intention to sack Jackson predates the end of the season. 

The fact TS suggested it might take longer doesn’t make that necessary or ideal either.
    Did it though? Or was Thomas only considering sacking Jackson then, which MS knew when speaking to CW, only to  later get an itchy trigger finger after the Ipswich debacle! Apologies if this has already been made clear.
    More likely Ipswich was the outcome of TS’s intention than the cause of it. The players knew this was on the cards. I was told by a club contact on the way back from the game.
    Bless, the players' really chose when they wanted to play for Jacko or when they didn't fancy turning up.

Maybe their political stance is being given too much credit. They're simply shite apart from a few.
  • Gribbo said:
    Pardew just walked past me on the phone, by London Bridge, overheard him saying “it was horrible, really nasty…”

It’s a sign.
    Had you just dropped your guts?
    Think he was referring to the new song Thomas had played him at the interview 
  • Next manager - TS says final decision not yet made

closer to the truth to say decision making process not yet started in any meaningful fashion
  • edited June 2022
    mendonca said:
    swordfish said:
    My concern is quite similar to what with seen in player recruitment the last couple of years. Doing a decent job in identifying good candidates, but failing to attract them here

More likely Ipswich was the outcome of TS’s intention than the cause of it. The players knew this was on the cards. I was told by a club contact on the way back from the game.
    Bless, the players' really chose when they wanted to play for Jacko or when they didn't fancy turning up.

Maybe their political stance is being given too much credit. They're simply shite apart from a few.
    I think motivation is a bit more complicated than that. They are people not robots. I’m not defending that performance or others during the season but if you don’t have everyone fully focused for whatever reason you are likely to fall short. I think the behind the scenes manoeuvring and the players’ perception of it is a big part of what happened last season.
    Is it true that there was also dressing room disharmony as a result of some being anti vaxers? 

I'm astonished to see you relate that the players knew Jackson was out before Ipswich, but he didn't. You can understand that, to an outsider, that sounds scarcely credible, but, if it's one of the known knowns now, I must say it sounds an unprofessional way of doing things. 

Plenty of room for improvement and must do better. Hopefully we will next season.
  • Let's give Adam Matthews a ping if we want to know the inside on a player's motivational needs ;) 

Personally I think there was unrest and too much sugar coating ever since Burstow to Chelsea ended up being a transfer as fast tracked as his role in the first team.
  • I'm going to take AFKAS advice and not worry about what i can't control. In fact now im wondering why i even worry about the results during the season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Wtf is going on at Charlton?
  • edited June 2022
    Wtf is going on at Charlton?
     Answer on a post card to:: T Sangaard The Valley, Floyd Rd Charlton SE7
  • edited June 2022
    I don't think the Charlton players are shite !!!

Most of them are third tier players and that is the division we are in. Many thousands of lower League players would love to be in the Charlton players position.

I would buy CBT if I was a Championship club and use him in an attacking way and not expect him to defend in his own box too often. Big impact player and need to play to his strengths not his weaknesses. If a player that can go past defenders on the right or left side isn't in demand then I'm a Dutchman.
    Hopefully he stays and the new manager can carry on the good work with CBT that the coaches did before but not necessarily wing back.

Ruud van Soapbox.

• edited June 2022
    Perhaps it’s not as crazy as we think. Just choosing a manager?
  • mendonca said:
    Let's give Adam Matthews a ping if we want to know the inside on a player's motivational needs ;) 

Personally I think there was unrest and too much sugar coating ever since Burstow to Chelsea ended up being a transfer as fast tracked as his role in the first team.
    Personally I think the unrest started after the Wigan game and was never properly resolved, it was brushed over (again) but the cracks quickly reappeared.

If everything had been rosie in the club house the antivax issue wouldn't have been a problem and would never have made it out.  It might not have even been an issue but even the rumour of it wouldn't have been given any credence. 
  • Was willing to give TS the summer, but nearly a month on and still no new manager is a joke. We are behind everyone else this summer AGAIN. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Was willing to give TS the summer, but nearly a month on and still no new manager is a joke. We are behind everyone else this summer AGAIN. 
    Just another quick reminder that the window isn't open for another 8 days
  • Scoham said:
    It's been a week today since JJ got sacked, and TS should have made an appointment by now.

The fact that he hasn't shows that it was a petulant, unplanned, ill-thought out sacking.

I'm curious as to why you think this.

I literally just said this to someone.

When Roland employed Luzon/Riga i cant remember which its blurred that time, everyone was moaning saying it was  to quick him and KM didnt do a good enough search.

So why now TS is looking properly is it apparently to long.

Surely its better he gets the correct appointment even if it takes 7-14 days from the day JJ was sacked?

Are you just looking for a reason to moan?
    A stick to beat TS with?

We are not the only club without a manager atm

Lincoln haven't had a manager for 10 days
    Fleetwood magical 7 day(according to you) is up tomorrow.

Does that mean they have been poorly managed or do they not count, as Ts doesn't own them
    I've come in for criticism here so I shall explain my reasoning:

It had been clear for several months that we weren't going either up or down a division.
    For those last few months we were generally in 13th- 17th place, weren't we? Therefore TS either thought:
    A. This is bad but I trust that JJ can sort it out for next season.
    B. This is bad and I need to change manager.

If it were B then he should have replaced him with a month or more to go so that the new manager can make his assessments.
    If it were A then he appears to have changed his mind at the last minute, probably due to the Ipswich result. My opinion is that this is what's happened. That's why I call it a petulant decision. It can't be because of our final position as we finished the season in almost the highest position we'd reached all season.

I may be wrong. What I know for sure was that I thought TS was great when he bought the club and I'm still thankful for that. What I now think is that he doesn't have a clue how to run a football club, and that we'll finish lower next season and then the next and so on until he changes his ways.

Most fans think it's B.
    The reason being Washington was as good as told this a few weeks before the Ipswich game.
    The most likely reason JJ wasn't sacked sooner, was because TS would have had to pay out less (if any) compensation by waiting until the season ended and JJ had "failed" the agreed contract.

Fair enough but it's now two weeks since he sacked Jackson and he still hasn't appointed a new manager. If it's B then he should have appointed someone by now. The only good reason why not would be if it's a manager of a play-off team.

Perhaps 'most fans' are wrong and it's A.

Or some candidates have been away for a short break after the season ended, like Jackson did.

Or some are coaches at Prem clubs so their season hasn’t ended

Or we were negotiating but someone turned it down (more of a bad reason but could be the case)

etc
    Three weeks now.
    The Premier League has finished.

How many more excuses?
    Just face it: TS hasn't got a clue what he's doing. I can't believe from the threads on the play-offs and Sunderland that people think we stand a chance. It's like Everton fans thinking that they'll finish in the top six next season.
    Four weeks now.

And to think that three weeks ago people were arguing that the sacking of Jackson was planned all along.

Planned?! My arse plans poos after me eating a bag of plums, better than this wallybrain owner can plan anything.