Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard ownership discussion 2022-3 onwards (Meeting with CAST p138)

Comments

• Options
    I think we were not that short last season. Dobson is as good as we have had in recent years, we just needed to strengthen key positions and the major improvement is the keeper and the way we are playing which must be credit to Garner. I wasn't confident about the keeper when I first saw him but he is a major improvement.  CBT has his weaknesses but is also unplayable at times. The left back has been good also but strikers is an issue that will kill us.
    But Dobson, Wollacott, CBT, and Sessegnon all came in due to decision ultimately made under TS.

Look Muttley I’m not having a go so don’t take this personally, and we spoke about the other day. But your insistence on calling him ‘clueless’ on the football side, especially due to the lack of one signing, is wrong in my opinion (especially as that might even change in the next couple of weeks). 

Ultimately the playing the style we have seen this year, they bringing in of Garner, the signings you have spoke about, they are all very much part of TS vision. 

Someone who is clueless wouldn’t have got those in, in the first place. Perhaps in the end we might still fall short, time will tell, but clueless is far from the mark. 

How he is continuing to make such a hash out of the commercial side, which in my eyes has less variables and more controllables then the football side, is beyond me. I’d say his decision making there has been very much close to clueless.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I agree. I think he has had enough anyway and really it is a question of whether there is anybody out there who is happy to buy a club losing millions with few assets. We could buy some Euro Millions tickets I suppose. Sandgaard is still a clueless twat though and more and more of us know it every day. He can stick that stupid song where the sun don't shine along with his guitar.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Yes I think Sandgaard has been lucky with Garner but he will not be able to take us up with one fit striker, if he stays fit, and a kid. What is frustrating is if the idiot had any football knowledge he would see we are not that far off. But it could be thousands of miles off for all the good it will do. Sandgaard is a clueless twat and that is the most polite way I can put it.
    Away from all the stupidity going on off the pitch
    how do you tally that someone without any football knowledge has got to the point where we are just a striker short?

Or do you think we just lucked upon the rest of the squad?
    Or you're wrong. Our 4th choice CB is a youngster and our back up LB is a young left-winger.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    The sad reality is, and it’s of course by no means guaranteed, is that if we end up in the playoffs or better this year, 95% of our fanbase couldn’t care less about of the decisions TS is making.
    Indeed, but it's unlikely the quality of his decision-making on one side of the business is dramatically better than on the other. And one spills into the other. Why was the analyst Brett Shaw removed? Won't TS's unrealistic revenue projections affect the football budget more generally? 

More generally, why is making piecemeal redundancies not aligned with budget setting? It could be to try to avoid triggering the statutory consultation process for 20 employees put at risk, but it's more likely I suggest that he's simply making it up as he goes along.
    Last line spot on. Its all hope that one day it will click and rest will be history so will go down as many different routes as possible, only soon it will be too late and he will have to sell up.
  • Options
    Yes I think Sandgaard has been lucky with Garner but he will not be able to take us up with one fit striker, if he stays fit, and a kid. What is frustrating is if the idiot had any football knowledge he would see we are not that far off. But it could be thousands of miles off for all the good it will do. Sandgaard is a clueless twat and that is the most polite way I can put it.
    how do you tally that someone without any football knowledge has got to the point where we are just a striker short?

Or you're wrong. Our 4th choice CB is a youngster and our back up LB is a young left-winger.
    Well firstly, a left footed CB who can play LB is one of the tangible rumours that we have heard we are looking for in terms of incomings.

And even then, how many teams have their 4th choice player for a position as a talented youngster. Or do you think there shouldn’t be chances for them to play?

So what about the rest of the squad? Did we just luck upon Dobson and CBT for instance?

• Options
    Once JFC, Gilbey and Kirk are moved on, we will be woefully short on depth again. We will be alright, until we get a few injuries to key positions 
  • Options

Well firstly, a left footed CB who can play LB is one of the tangible rumours that we have heard we are looking for in terms of incomings.

And even then, how many teams have their 4th choice player for a position as a talented youngster. Or do you think there shouldn’t be chances for them to play?

So what about the rest of the squad? Did we just luck upon Dobson and CBT for instance?

Well we sort of lucked upon CBT seeing as he came on trial, paying his own hotel and other expenses and we offered him just a three month deal so yeah we lucked upon him.
    I don’t really see that as luck though. It was something that was in our control the moment someone identified him, and then offered him the opportunity to come train with us, and then created an environment for him to thrive and develop in. 

If anything I would say his signing was an example of where we have been good in recent years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Once JFC, Gilbey and Kirk are moved on, we will be woefully short on depth again. We will be alright, until we get a few injuries to key positions 
    Would be massively surprised if they were all moved on.
  • Options
    I think it might be termed as an oasis in a desert as last time I looked we finished bottom half in League One. Not many things can be good for that to happen.
  • Options

Well we sort of lucked upon CBT seeing as he came on trial, paying his own hotel and other expenses and we offered him just a three month deal so yeah we lucked upon him.
    I don’t really see that as luck though. It was something that was in our control the moment someone identified him, and then offered him the opportunity to come train with us, and then created an environment for him to thrive and develop in. 

If anything I would say his signing was an example of where we have been good in recent years.
    That all depends on whether we approached him or he approached us.
  • Options
    Where does the cost cutting end? Abandon the valley and play in a smaller stadium? You will not make money owning a club in League One - He is no better than Roland 
    Wouldn't suprise me if he's in cahoots with Roland. 
    I said this months ago and got called out big time on here. 

Yes, because it's mental.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Where does the cost cutting end? Abandon the valley and play in a smaller stadium? You will not make money owning a club in League One - He is no better than Roland 
    I said this months ago and got called out big time on here. 
    Quite rightly.

it’s utter nonsense. 
    Come on Stu, get with the programme. Man never walked on the moon, 9/11 was orchestrated by the CIA and the earth is flat ffs!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Sticking to the footballing side for a momemt, it's rare that a club that goes through a cost cutting exercise gets promoted. The top 6 this season will most likely include Sheff Wed, Derby, Ipswich & Pompey and not Accrington, Cambridge, Forest Green & Fleetwood. I've seen many business try to cut costs & increase prices to stay afloat & generally it doesn't work. Unfortunately to get out of this division costs money - yes, teams like Luton might have done it on the cheap but generally you need the better players to get promoted. 

If TS is now thinking he cant run the club by losing £8m & is trimming costs left, right & centre I don't see it ending up with us in The Championship anytime soon. 
  • Options
    Of course anything is possible, but one is holding the assets and making money while the other makes an annual loss of £8m. For the life of me apart from leasing the ground and training ground I cannot see what TS is getting from being in "cahoots" with RD?

• Options
    I think we were not that short last season. Dobson is as good as we have had in recent years, we just needed to strengthen key positions and the major improvement is the keeper and the way we are playing which must be credit to Garner. I wasn't confident about the keeper when I first saw him but he is a major improvement.  CBT has his weaknesses but is also unplayable at times. The left back has been good also but strikers is an issue that will kill us.
    But Dobson, Wollacott, CBT, and Sessegnon all came in due to decision ultimately made under TS.

If we're going down that avenue, then we have to thank Roland for Taylor, Cullen and Bielik who were all signed in 2018/19 when we last went up

Which is why, as with my earlier post, I will tend to separate out the on and off field decisions, other than appointing the managers, as ultimately the manager and recruitment team will have a budget and its their job to spend it wisely.
  • Options

If we're going down that avenue, then we have to thank Roland for Taylor, Cullen and Bielik who were all signed in 2018/19 when we last went up

Which is why, as with my earlier post, I will tend to separate out the on and off field decisions, other than appointing the managers, as ultimately the manager and recruitment team will have a budget and its their job to spend it wisely.
    I am with you be separating the on and off the field stuff, though can see why aspects of it will seep into each other.

But how involved was Roland with anything to do with the club by then? Didn’t those signings all come at the point where he had pretty much totally stepped away?

TS vision and input is still very much driving the playing style and recruitment at the moment.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    I want rid of him now . Surely we aren’t far off the protest stage ?
    Like him or hate him, he’s not done anything that warrants the fan base hounding him out. 
    Let’s see how we all feel in 6 months time .
    We can cross that bridge when we get to it. I’d be cautious of anyone who starts fanning those flames at this stage
    The guy has done precious little right since being better than the crooks we had before .  If you still feel that’s enough, I applaud your optimism . 
    You’re putting words in my mouth. I’m not stating it’s good enough, I’ve been a vocal critic of TS’ decision making for a while now. 

I’m only saying it’s far too early to be sharping pitch forks or starting protest groups. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Simon Jordan said something along the lines of: "Thomas Sandgaard needs to come in and do things his own way and learn from his own mistakes". 

How many mistakes can he make though?

When will he realise he needs a team of football professionals and people that want the best for the club?

Sandgaard negatives: 

1. Buying the Football Club without the bricks and mortar
    2. Overenthusiastic about goals - Prem 5 years etc
    3. Slow moving in January 2021.
    4. Gambling on Adkins, 
    5. Moving too slowly in Summer 2021.
    6. Not getting Aneke renewed 
    7. Moving too slowly to remove Adkins when clear he was the wrong man
    8. Bowing to peer pressure to appoint Jackson
    9. Buying back Aneke more broken than when sold.
    10. The method of sacking Jackson
    11. Cost cutting
    Sandgaard positives: 

1. Bought the club, removing Southall, Nimer, Farnell and the Dentist
    2. Ambitious in his goals for the club
    3. Brought in decent players despite an embargo
    4. Signed Stockley Permanently.
    5. Removed Adkins
    6. Gave Jackson a go
    7. Brought in a young and ambitious Ben Garner

The negatives really are outweighing the positives right now. I hope Ben Garner's appointment somehow manages to earn us promotion or Sandgaard is going to be flogging us to whichever punter. 
    Women's team made professional? Presumably cancelled out by proposed name change. I'm guessing it's why you didn't mention either. Not a criticism btw Dazzler,  just an understandable oversight, but I thought it merited a mention.
  • Options

I am with you be separating the on and off the field stuff, though can see why aspects of it will seep into each other.

But how involved was Roland with anything to do with the club by then? Didn’t those signings all come at the point where he had pretty much totally stepped away?

TS vision and input is still very much driving the playing style and recruitment at the moment.
    He still wrote the cheques though.  You can't suggest he used "club money" because however you choose dress it up there isn't any.

You can make the, very valid, argument that he just put it all on the company credit card 💳 but if he hadn't "guaranteed" it...

I don't, for even a second, think Thomas is in cahoots with Roland.  Roland could have taken the club back, when ESI defaulted of the 50 million, and flogged it to him for a quid, if he was.  The court case etc etc would have been totally unnecessary. For a start.

But to pour petrol on the flames the wage bill and losses are much less than they were under Roland.  It gave a "clean slate" to sponsorship, corporate etc etc and Burger Boy still has a job.  If today's events had happened under Roland people would be in their cars heading for Belgium before lunch time.  Roland reduces his outlay and Thomas gets to play at running a football club on someone else's dollar.  I can see why people might think it.  Even though I 100% don't.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    swordfish said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Simon Jordan said something along the lines of: "Thomas Sandgaard needs to come in and do things his own way and learn from his own mistakes". 

When will he realise he needs a team of football professionals and people that want the best for the club?

Sandgaard negatives: 

4. Gambling on Adkins, 
    11. Cost cutting
    Sandgaard positives: 

5. Removed Adkins
    6. Gave Jackson a go

The negatives really are outweighing the positives right now. I hope Ben Garner's appointment somehow manages to earn us promotion or Sandgaard is going to be flogging us to whichever punter. 
    Women's team made professional? Presumably cancelled out by proposed name change. I'm guessing it's why you didn't mention either. Not a criticism btw Dazzler,  just an understandable oversight, but I thought it merited a mention.
    @Dazzler21 - Oh, add Charlton TV and improvements to academy infrastructure on the positives.

On buying Club without bricks and mortar, a huge negative for sure, but not a criticism in my book.

On the negatives, you missed off:-pulling the rug out from under Adkins feet in the summer transfer window (imo); that god awful music (again imo, & I like motorhead) Just wrong time wrong place for it.

As for being over enthusiastic, yes, but the ambition is far from a negative. It's that he underestimated L1 (same thing I suppose)

I'll stop there as I'm struggling to type having had some refreshment and I've no wish to contradict you.
  • Options
    Genuine question because I haven't really been following this thread: Does Sangaard's wife whose name escapes me have an official/formal role at the club? 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    SDAddick said:
    Genuine question because I haven't really been following this thread: Does Sangaard's wife whose name escapes me have an official/formal role at the club? 
    It's 🎵Raelynn, Raelynn, Raelynn, Raelynn, I'm beggin' of you, please don't ask again🎵

Don't think so, but she must be a duly authorized signatory for the Club.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    She appears to have her fingers in a lot of what goes on but in what capacity I do not know.

If the rate of redundancies keeps up it will only be her, Thomas and Martin left.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Sandgaard negatives: 

4. Gambling on Adkins, 
    11. Cost cutting
    Sandgaard positives: 

5. Removed Adkins
    6. Gave Jackson a go

Adkins looked a great appointment at the end of his first season tbf.

You should also add letting JJ go as a positive and investing in the training ground and his intention to get us to cat 1 academy status. Not getting Aneke renewed was hardly his fault when a championship club came calling and January 2021 we brought in miller and Stockley and bowyer inexplicably didn't want any defenders.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    For all the criticism TS is getting for off-field stuff! Something he has done extremely well. Has identified style and approach of play and got the best manager implement that, changed the profile of player we are now recruiting.. It is going to be an exciting season.. the games are going to be exciting, we will come unstuck, but we are good enough to win us enough games to get us out of this league!
    I was grappling with this during the game. I agree with Dazzler’s list above, which is clearly overbalanced on the negative side and yet there I was watching us play lovely, flowing, attacking,  possession based football, just like TS said he wanted. It makes it all the more annoying that TS is getting so much wrong off the pitch. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    For all the criticism TS is getting for off-field stuff! Something he has done extremely well. Has identified style and approach of play and got the best manager implement that, changed the profile of player we are now recruiting.. It is going to be an exciting season.. the games are going to be exciting, we will come unstuck, but we are good enough to win us enough games to get us out of this league!
    I was grappling with this during the game. I agree with Dazzler’s list above, which is clearly overbalanced on the negative side and yet there I was watching us play lovely, flowing, attacking,  possession based football, just like TS said he wanted. It makes it all the more annoying that TS is getting so much wrong off the pitch. 
    Well exactly, it’s been clear for a long time he has had a vision for how he wanted the football to be played on the field, and although there has been some bumps on the way, and it is very very early days - it really does feel like we are going to get that this year. And he deserves credit for that. 

I just wish I understood what his vision was for off the field! That’s where he gets clearly gets a bit RDesque with his expectations of how people want to consume a league one football match.