Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 6th August 2022 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Gutted to miss the game due to being at a wedding, but really pleasing to read some of the comments.

As ever, the result is the main thing. 3pts vs a "big" team is going to be valuable. Sounds like we really rode our luck in the first half, but pleased we stuck at it. Garner may fancy McGrandles as one of his own, but Dobson should always be one of the first names on the team sheet. The lad works so hard and I love watching him play. Still a few more players who need to push on if we want to sustain a promotion/playoff push, but we're still unbeaten and wins at home are always important.

I do feel that, for many of these players, they feel pressure playing at The Valley. Even half full, we have several former L2 players that know they will get booed (often wrongly, imo) if they play poorly. It can affect them. Glad they rode it out and held on for all the points. Looking forward to getting back there soon and I remain positive for this season, particularly if we can bring another goal-scorer in before the window closes.

COYA
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    For a player whose stock in trade is his heading prowess that really was some miss by Stockley. I suppose they don’t all go in but a free header from a perfect cross just a few yards out should have been a goal.
    Should've been a goal, but at least it was a quality save... their boy missed an equally easy one at 1-0 that he put wide. Pretty sure Stockley will come good again, but we need to be creating more than 1 chance per game for him given that's how we're set up. 
    We did, he had a header saved in the second half that he should have done much better with too. And we won’t even mention his attempt at a long range shot.
    Ah yes, that spongefoot Stockley shot was Leaburnesque. Carlo that is, not Miles (or Tracey)  ;)
  • Options
    Well got that totally wrong. predict Charlton 0  Derby 3, At end of first half thought that would be the most likely score.
    We were bloody awful passing from the backs was shambolic, poor Sessegnon  being run ragged which explains why he and Clare swapped sides for a while. What I did not was that the Derby players were cross eyed when shooting at goal they could have been four one up at the end of first half.
    Garner must have thrown a few teacups in the break, for example came out a different player second half and Morgan found he could pass the ball long.
    even so it could have been 2-2 second half.
    So glad we won but still not convinced we have the players to play the way Garner wants,
    hope they convince me soon or new signings are able to.
  • Options
    Whoever was booing them off at half time have definitely got too used to moaning about things not going well
    It worked didn’t it 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Not sure if this is the correct thread for these observations, but...... about the pre-match stuff yesterday:

1. I thought the "ceremony" to present the POTY award to Dobbo was awful. About 40 minutes before kick off with relatively few in the stadium, a few words from Brian Cole, scant applause. Dobbo deserved so much better. Closer to kick off, more crowd, a few words from TS or BG. It wouldn't have been difficult and it would have given the crowd a buzz before kick off too.

2. Conversely, TS made a nice little speech with the presentation to Jason Pearce. In particular, the comment to the effect that "if there was anyone who always left nothing out on the pitch, that was Jason Pearce": was spot on
    Was unaware of the Dobbo ceremony as didn't arrive until later. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Typical that apparently Morgan shone in the game I missed. Too busy having a fun family day.
  • Options
    Wollacott starting position for crosses and corners makes it easier for him to impose himself, he starts about 4 yards off his goal line, making it easier to come for crosses, whether he gets worked out and someone shoots for the near post we'll see, but his position gives him a chance. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    That’s the sort of thing the old charlton used to do, spanked 0-0 first half, come out second half and win!!!!……. Wollacott 1st half fantastic,  Dobson was something else when he came on, Clare really played well, Albie was unfortunately The Albie I’ve slated for too long first half,second half so much better, closing down at the end was great, When Albie decides to run forward and effect a game that’s when he shows he has something, he so needs to look forward on the pitch more and might prove,  many wrong, but not yet mind. The team as a whole were miles better second half, do we actually have a manager that doesn’t send the players to sleep at halftime for a change, must have been a blinder from BG. Well done  to the lads today could of got ugly, but showed real character.👍
    You really know nothing about football but only serve comment to slate AM for a year now. Nothing about Sessegnon who passed off the pitch twice in the first half but actually played well against a tricky winger. Plus O'connell who nearly gifted Derby a goal with a poor headed back pass , McGrandles and Fraser Anonymous, Clare letting his man drift behind him in the first half but excellent 2nd.

The one you mention and continue to mention is AM and always negatively. Even in a positive comment there is a barbed dig.

AM wasn't perfect in the first half but he didn't hide and if you watch again got in some crucial interceptions.

Seriously fuck off,are you his dad? I said he has done well, if he didn’t I’d say he played shit. Didn’t realise you were the football oracle. You didn’t need to have a dig, I know plenty about football like many others. Fucking no need you joker. If Albie carries on his slight improvement he will win people over.
    Breaking news, he isn't Albie's dad and Thomas isn't going to shag you.

Different opinions, who would ever have thought it...
    Breaking news you are being a prick and jumping on the bandwagon unnecessarily, I’m a married man and that comment is just fucking childish and idiotic.
    The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

For months any criticism of anything is completely taboo as far as your concerned, unless it's aimed at Morgan.  Makes sense.  
    👍😂
    I wouldn't eat your chips tonight Paul🦊, unless you like them soggy that is 😎
    🤷🏻‍♂️?
    That opening insult would have pissed me off too... and I don't claim to know much about football. I'm just pleased we won, so no one's going to piss on my chips.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it down there today, the way they came through a tough period and won, I was genuinely giving praise to Albie and was pointing out what I thought he does best.I commented as I saw it, I’m no expert. I think at the moment I’m fair game for certain contributors whom are intent on putting me in my place,that’s fine.👍

Thomas isn't going to shag you.,,, thought this comment from @cafc43v4r was pretty disgusting and unnecessary to be honest. Because I won’t publicly moan about TS  until he actually cocks it up.
    Seven pages of interesting post match discussion, interspersed with one of your tedious dramas. Is this going to go on all season?
    I thought his original post was exactly that, interesting post match discussion. The tedious drama you referred to was provoked by another poster's personally insulting response to it. Poke a lion with a stick and it's going to react I'm afraid!

From my short time on CL I've found that some react to posters rather than their posts,  the 'Johnson' syndrome in that if 'he' said it,  regardless of what it was, it must be wrong, so it must be challenged and disagreed with. 

The most obvious case I've seen of this involves Ronnie Moore. I can honestly say that in the three months I've been posting, I've seen little, if anything, inflammatory in what he's posted. Much of it isn't even that original or controversial, but he seems to cop a load of flack for it every time.

Admittedly I'm unfamiliar with the history, but all I can say is that he must be pretty  thick skinned to take it. And if poster's are convinced he's a WUM or troll, wouldn't it be better to simply ignore his input instead of lashing out in response.

Anyway, I've said my piece now, so we can get back to the post match discussion. A great three points from what will probably turn out to be one of our toughest challenges, next week a tougher one still. Onwards and upwards I hope from here on in though 👍
  • Options
    First half was very poor, Stockley should of done better with his chance in the first half that was a excellent cross from Kirk and Jojo was top draw

second half began to show the quality we have and played well, BG timed the subs well and all made an impact which is crucial with 5 subs rule now in place

was Kirk's best game for us i thought, his confidence looks to be building so i'm hoping he continues to improve with it

• Options
    As much as I like Wollacott I think the praise is a bit OTT. He seemed glued to his line on numerous occasions and not always convinced by his decision to punch rather than catch. A good shot stopper but for me has weaknesses.
    Of course he has his weaknesses as does every keeper in league one.
    He's definitely an improvement on mag though. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    mendonca said:
    Most of AB's posts are really sounding like 'TS this' and 'TS that'. 
    Fact is he anticipated a crowd of 14k and it was 17k so a bit wide of the mark again 
    There was nowhere near 17,000 in the ground.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    mendonca said:
    Most of AB's posts are really sounding like 'TS this' and 'TS that'. 
    Fact is he anticipated a crowd of 14k and it was 17k so a bit wide of the mark again 
    You are round the wrong way, the club announced a crowd of just over 17k as stated in the press when the more accurate figure was between 13 and 14k

The club appears to have reverted back to announcing inflated figures to boost egos as apposed to what Tommies wife said they were going to do last season
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Thought there'd be a bigger crowd today, any thoughts?
    Really, I am surprised it passed 17k

Edit, just read Airman’s comment on another thread saying “actual” crowd was more like 13k 

Looks like we are reverting back to the old way of announcing attendances 
    I’m told we have close to 8,500 STs and the actual was about 14,000. I do think that will be as good as it gets (giveaways apart) for some time, as that is probably the biggest fixture of the season. You won’t get more full paying home fans for Plymouth (midweek), Cambridge, Exeter  or Forest Green (midweek) regardless of results.
    I think that if results and performances keep up it will improve, I think attendances are always a little low in school holidays as so many people (myself included) are away. Gutted to miss it, but I nearly swerved off the road and into the Angel of the North in celebration listening to the commentary when we scored our goal!

Seen brief highlights and that first save by Woolacott was out of this world!

I totally agree with Garner’s assessment of that first half being a hangover from last year. So many times we heard the manager say we trained well through the week and then they produced rubbish on the pitch. 

Get a couple of new faces in for the Wednesday game and it will cap off a wonderful couple of weeks. Onwards and upwards. 👍
    This isn’t the case, although it’s a popular myth. You tend to get a lot of match ticket sales for the first game of the season (from people who aren’t away!), other things being equal, and that did happen yesterday. It does look as if there were between 2,000-2,5000 season ticket holders missing, the rest will be unused comps. 

That ST absentee number is a relatively high one for this fixture (reflecting holidays) but it is not an untypical number through the season given the L1 fixture list. There will likely be 3,000 or more missing for the midweeks, while the likes of Cambridge and Exeter won’t sell anything like as many match tickets, home or away. You can only really offset that shortfall with price offers or industrial scale free tickets. The higher prices will also hurt the potential for growth.

Results don’t really change that until the business end of the season - not saying they make no difference, but they won’t offset opening day enthusiasm. See also the Sheffield Wednesday crowd a year ago.
    I think there are plenty of people (like me) abroad for the summer, non season tickets holders watching on stream who would’ve been there. I know a few 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    That’s the sort of thing the old charlton used to do, spanked 0-0 first half, come out second half and win!!!!……. Wollacott 1st half fantastic,  Dobson was something else when he came on, Clare really played well, Albie was unfortunately The Albie I’ve slated for too long first half,second half so much better, closing down at the end was great, When Albie decides to run forward and effect a game that’s when he shows he has something, he so needs to look forward on the pitch more and might prove,  many wrong, but not yet mind. The team as a whole were miles better second half, do we actually have a manager that doesn’t send the players to sleep at halftime for a change, must have been a blinder from BG. Well done  to the lads today could of got ugly, but showed real character.👍
    You really know nothing about football but only serve comment to slate AM for a year now. Nothing about Sessegnon who passed off the pitch twice in the first half but actually played well against a tricky winger. Plus O'connell who nearly gifted Derby a goal with a poor headed back pass , McGrandles and Fraser Anonymous, Clare letting his man drift behind him in the first half but excellent 2nd.

The one you mention and continue to mention is AM and always negatively. Even in a positive comment there is a barbed dig.

AM wasn't perfect in the first half but he didn't hide and if you watch again got in some crucial interceptions.

Seriously fuck off,are you his dad? I said he has done well, if he didn’t I’d say he played shit. Didn’t realise you were the football oracle. You didn’t need to have a dig, I know plenty about football like many others. Fucking no need you joker. If Albie carries on his slight improvement he will win people over.
    Breaking news, he isn't Albie's dad and Thomas isn't going to shag you.

Different opinions, who would ever have thought it...
    Breaking news you are being a prick and jumping on the bandwagon unnecessarily, I’m a married man and that comment is just fucking childish and idiotic.
    The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

For months any criticism of anything is completely taboo as far as your concerned, unless it's aimed at Morgan.  Makes sense.  
    👍😂
    I wouldn't eat your chips tonight Paul🦊, unless you like them soggy that is 😎
    🤷🏻‍♂️?
    That opening insult would have pissed me off too... and I don't claim to know much about football. I'm just pleased we won, so no one's going to piss on my chips.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it down there today, the way they came through a tough period and won, I was genuinely giving praise to Albie and was pointing out what I thought he does best.I commented as I saw it, I’m no expert. I think at the moment I’m fair game for certain contributors whom are intent on putting me in my place,that’s fine.👍

Thomas isn't going to shag you.,,, thought this comment from @cafc43v4r was pretty disgusting and unnecessary to be honest. Because I won’t publicly moan about TS  until he actually cocks it up.
    So literally thought the other poster was Albie's dad?
    Even Albie's dad is probably not old enough to remember our old striker Ray Treacy back in 1969! :smile:

• Options
    Not a shot !!!!!! If it wasn’t then it’s the hardest most wayward cross in a Charlton history of wayward crosses. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Look at the positioning of two full backs.  You couldn't see it, or I certainly couldn't on the highlights but Browny mentioned it a number of times on comms.

It's a very early Man City Pep thing.  Morgan took up the position you would expect an over/under lapping left back to be and both our full backs were tucked in to effectively be extra center mids.  Interesting.  I didn't notice that in pre-season.  Anyone else notice it?  I suspect a view from the East or West stands would give the best idea.
  • Options
    I agree with the poster above. It would be really helpful if when posting on the match/post match thread people indicated where they are/were sitting. I viewed the match from the upper west on the centre line. Based on some of the comments on individual performances on this thread and the match thread I find it difficult to believe I was watching the same match.
  • Options
    Massive show of character from Dobson to be dropped, come on, change that game, and be MOM. 

I don’t care how good or bad Mcgrandles is, Dobson has to start.
    McGrandles even said himself he had been signed to play an attacking role & he only played dm last season because of injuries.
  • Options
    For a player whose stock in trade is his heading prowess that really was some miss by Stockley. I suppose they don’t all go in but a free header from a perfect cross just a few yards out should have been a goal.
    While I agree but at the same time one has to give some credit to the goalkeeper for making a very good reflex save.

Interesting when Wallocott did the same at our end everyone rightly acknowledged what a good save it was, no doubt the Derby fans may have been calling their player involved, a donkey!

What looks simple in the stands is not always the same in the moment on the field.