Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 6th August 2022 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    That’s the sort of thing the old charlton used to do, spanked 0-0 first half, come out second half and win!!!!……. Wollacott 1st half fantastic,  Dobson was something else when he came on, Clare really played well, Albie was unfortunately The Albie I’ve slated for too long first half,second half so much better, closing down at the end was great, When Albie decides to run forward and effect a game that’s when he shows he has something, he so needs to look forward on the pitch more and might prove,  many wrong, but not yet mind. The team as a whole were miles better second half, do we actually have a manager that doesn’t send the players to sleep at halftime for a change, must have been a blinder from BG. Well done  to the lads today could of got ugly, but showed real character.👍
    You really know nothing about football but only serve comment to slate AM for a year now. Nothing about Sessegnon who passed off the pitch twice in the first half but actually played well against a tricky winger. Plus O'connell who nearly gifted Derby a goal with a poor headed back pass , McGrandles and Fraser Anonymous, Clare letting his man drift behind him in the first half but excellent 2nd.

The one you mention and continue to mention is AM and always negatively. Even in a positive comment there is a barbed dig.

AM wasn't perfect in the first half but he didn't hide and if you watch again got in some crucial interceptions.

Seriously fuck off,are you his dad? I said he has done well, if he didn’t I’d say he played shit. Didn’t realise you were the football oracle. You didn’t need to have a dig, I know plenty about football like many others. Fucking no need you joker. If Albie carries on his slight improvement he will win people over.
    Breaking news, he isn't Albie's dad and Thomas isn't going to shag you.

Different opinions, who would ever have thought it...
    Breaking news you are being a prick and jumping on the bandwagon unnecessarily, I’m a married man and that comment is just fucking childish and idiotic.
    The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

For months any criticism of anything is completely taboo as far as your concerned, unless it's aimed at Morgan.  Makes sense.  
    👍😂
    I wouldn't eat your chips tonight Paul🦊, unless you like them soggy that is 😎
    🤷🏻‍♂️?
    That opening insult would have pissed me off too... and I don't claim to know much about football. I'm just pleased we won, so no one's going to piss on my chips.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it down there today, the way they came through a tough period and won, I was genuinely giving praise to Albie and was pointing out what I thought he does best.I commented as I saw it, I’m no expert. I think at the moment I’m fair game for certain contributors whom are intent on putting me in my place,that’s fine.👍

Thomas isn't going to shag you.,,, thought this comment from @cafc43v4r was pretty disgusting and unnecessary to be honest. Because I won’t publicly moan about TS  until he actually cocks it up.
    So literally thought the other poster was Albie's dad?
    Yes of course I did, I thought all the players parents posted on here!🙄🤪
  • Options
    A must win game we won. We totally deserved it.
    One of those karma situations actually. For a start I saw two magpies yesterday, good I thought, but then again magpies are black and white birds, hmmmn, are the gods of football playing silly buggers?
    But for all their impressive turnout I'm afraid it was bad karma that lost the game for Derby because they had their own silly bugger fan to sour things and attract the disapproval of the gods of football.
    We are having a minute to respect three fine ex players who sadly passed, and a Derby supporting dickhead goes on the pitch with the corner flag.
    Disrespectful tosser.
    So some might say we led a charmed life at times in the first half, but that Derby fan gave us an extra player called Precious Karma and stopped them scoring.
    Then the celestial forces helped us demonstrate that we deserved some decent respect by ensuring we made our point(s) by winning.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    That’s the sort of thing the old charlton used to do, spanked 0-0 first half, come out second half and win!!!!……. Wollacott 1st half fantastic,  Dobson was something else when he came on, Clare really played well, Albie was unfortunately The Albie I’ve slated for too long first half,second half so much better, closing down at the end was great, When Albie decides to run forward and effect a game that’s when he shows he has something, he so needs to look forward on the pitch more and might prove,  many wrong, but not yet mind. The team as a whole were miles better second half, do we actually have a manager that doesn’t send the players to sleep at halftime for a change, must have been a blinder from BG. Well done  to the lads today could of got ugly, but showed real character.👍
    You really know nothing about football but only serve comment to slate AM for a year now. Nothing about Sessegnon who passed off the pitch twice in the first half but actually played well against a tricky winger. Plus O'connell who nearly gifted Derby a goal with a poor headed back pass , McGrandles and Fraser Anonymous, Clare letting his man drift behind him in the first half but excellent 2nd.

The one you mention and continue to mention is AM and always negatively. Even in a positive comment there is a barbed dig.

AM wasn't perfect in the first half but he didn't hide and if you watch again got in some crucial interceptions.

Seriously fuck off,are you his dad? I said he has done well, if he didn’t I’d say he played shit. Didn’t realise you were the football oracle. You didn’t need to have a dig, I know plenty about football like many others. Fucking no need you joker. If Albie carries on his slight improvement he will win people over.

Breaking news you are being a prick and jumping on the bandwagon unnecessarily, I’m a married man and that comment is just fucking childish and idiotic.
    The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

For months any criticism of anything is completely taboo as far as your concerned, unless it's aimed at Morgan.  Makes sense.  
    👍😂
    🤷🏻‍♂️?
    That opening insult would have pissed me off too... and I don't claim to know much about football. I'm just pleased we won, so no one's going to piss on my chips.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it down there today, the way they came through a tough period and won, I was genuinely giving praise to Albie and was pointing out what I thought he does best.I commented as I saw it, I’m no expert. I think at the moment I’m fair game for certain contributors whom are intent on putting me in my place,that’s fine.👍

Thomas isn't going to shag you.,,, thought this comment from @cafc43v4r was pretty disgusting and unnecessary to be honest. Because I won’t publicly moan about TS  until he actually cocks it up.
    🍆🐳😛🤔
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

👍😂
    🤷🏻‍♂️?

Boring!!!!
  • Options
    Oh and I’ve took my little girl 4 home games we’ve won all 4 and not conceded 🤣
    I'll buy her a season ticket so
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Thought there'd be a bigger crowd today, any thoughts?
    Really, I am surprised it passed 17k

Edit, just read Airman’s comment on another thread saying “actual” crowd was more like 13k 

Looks like we are reverting back to the old way of announcing attendances 
    I’m told we have close to 8,500 STs and the actual was about 14,000. I do think that will be as good as it gets (giveaways apart) for some time, as that is probably the biggest fixture of the season. You won’t get more full paying home fans for Plymouth (midweek), Cambridge, Exeter  or Forest Green (midweek) regardless of results.
    Agreed, as Ive mentioned earlier in the week, even in our promotion season 18/19 we were still only getting around 12k for the final couple of home games, when it was very clear we were playing well (we won our final 6 home games) and likely on the way to promotion. 
  • Options
    Game of two halves, last seasons 11 turned up for the 1st half. It was interesting to hear Garner make the same comment I'd heard both Adkins and Jackson say last year, words to the effect of 'I saw nothing that we'd worked on in training' but he managed to turn them around for the 2nd half.

Yes we rode our luck a bit in the 1st half and went in level thanks in the main to a) our keeper who's looking the purchase of the summer and b) Derby's finishing was pretty poor.

Much to be positive about, 4 points, it's a long season and I think the league will be quite open. 2 games in and only one team with 100% record. Think we're still short of a striker unless the miracle happens and Aneke stays fit.

Kirk looks to be heading in the right direction. Dobson is setting his POTY stall out early, a keeper it looks like we can rely on and Albie finding some form going forward and we can once again chant the Leaburn name!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    PWR I'm bored of League One. Yes I do think we are too big a club to be in this division for soo long. It's never been the support base that's f****d this club up. Its the ownership. I think we'll get there with TS.
  • Options
    Well done lads. A great result. Keep going! 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    AndyG said:
    Serious question here.

Would anyone be upset if Kirk started next Saturday ?

For me I was surprised to see him start today but he showed glimpses of quality today and with a run of games I think he could be decent for us.

I assumed Morgan would give way once Payne was up to speed but tbh (this is hard for me to say lol) he is ahead of Fraser on the showing so far
    I'd be upset if he didn't. He doesn't track back as much as DJ, but he showed what he can do today. He caused them loads of problems in the final third. And that's without a consistent overlapping LB to help him create 2-v-1s with the fullback. But today, for the first time in a Charlton shirt, I understood why we were after him so heavily and payed a fee for him, and why Championship clubs have shown interest in him. 

Whenever Payne is fit he goes into the first team. Albie was much better in the second half today, but his second half last week and first half this week were poor. I'm still not fully convinced that Fraser has enough about him to be able to earn the right to play the type of football he wants to play in this league. I worry he needs two physical midfielders to play in addition to him and I'm not sure we have those.

After today, it's Dobbo and Payne +1 as far as I'm concerned. Albie has the shirt for the moment in my mind, but I think Fraser, McGrandles when fit, and Gilbey will all get their chance. I hope JFC does as well, though things seem...complicated with him at the moment. If rather move on Gilbey or Morgan than JFC. But that doesn't seem likely at the moment. 
  • Options
    Great win, all have been said before but yes, looks like Dobson was the tonic. Early days.
    Work in progress rather than pinnacle me hope
  • Options
    Stockley's defensive work was good, his midfield distribution was OK but his efforts as a striker were abysmal, we need a striker who can play effectively to this system, unfortunately Stockley can't. 
    I would argue that after two games, a small sample size, Stockers has shown he can adapt to the system pretty well. Much better than I expected. The problem is, he forgot how to finish with his head somewhere along the way.

I don't know what the latest on Chuks is. Leaburn is promising but I don't think he has the technical ability or maturity to start through the middle consistently. And I don't think we're going to get a striker in who will be of a higher quality than Stockley and Aneke when fit, because why would they want to come here and risk being stuck behind those two?

So for the moment we're stuck with Stockley. If he starts putting away chances we could look quite dangerous with our ability to put in crosses. He just needs to be good at the things he's good at again. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    Stockley's defensive work was good, his midfield distribution was OK but his efforts as a striker were abysmal, we need a striker who can play effectively to this system, unfortunately Stockley can't. 
    I would argue that after two games, a small sample size, Stockers has shown he can adapt to the system pretty well. Much better than I expected. The problem is, he forgot how to finish with his head somewhere along the way.

I don't know what the latest on Chuks is. Leaburn is promising but I don't think he has the technical ability or maturity to start through the middle consistently. And I don't think we're going to get a striker in who will be of a higher quality than Stockley and Aneke when fit, because why would they want to come here and risk being stuck behind those two?

So for the moment we're stuck with Stockley. If he starts putting away chances we could look quite dangerous with our ability to put in crosses. He just needs to be good at the things he's good at again. 

Yeah I thought Stockley was decent today. He only misplaced 1 pass and if he finishes that chance we are saying he had a good game. Sadly he didn't again but he will.

Also a note about Derby, it is probably unfortunate to play them so early in the season as their bench is full of kids and a sprinkling of aging journeymen. A few key injuries to their senior players and they will find things difficult I feel.
  • Options
    Derby seemed aware of Stockley's link up role of dropping short to receive a straight out-ball from the defence and was beaten to the ball every time in the first half. I think their pressing was encouraging that ball out of defence as a tactic to get a turnover.  

The centre back also gave him a hard time in the air. Made Stockley look ineffective, and with his misses thought at the time I wished Leaburn would come on to replace him.  

Respect those who saw it different but I really didn't think he had good game overall apart from winning more second ball and flick ons later in the game. Can see him getting on the score sheet eventually because of his ability to get into scoring positions but would like to see what Leaburn could do in the same position down the middle.
  • Options
    Is it too early/unfair to say "O Connell isn't good enough replace immediately"? It p
  • Options
    It probably IS but I think I'll be saying in 3 months .... "he is the weak link in that defence". If Inniss and Lavelle stay fit and Sessegnon and Clare can nail down these positions, aside from signing two out and out strikers ~ I think we have a really good squad here. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We now have a midfield that is good enough to compete at the top of the table. I'm really confident about Morgan this year. And with Fraser, Mcgrandles, Dobson, Payne et al there is A LOT of goals too. 
  • Options
    I thought Stockley would struggle with link up play and not have the work rate required for this system, but if we put the ball on his head in the box he would still score. Was the opposite today but I think the goals will come for him as he’s getting the chances 
  • Options

Simply down to the price of tickets imo. If you're not committed to a season ticket a late decision to go makes for an expensive day out.
  • Options
    One of those games I needed to sleep on. They hit the woodwork twice and our keeper kept us in it but the reaction in the second half was promising. Hopefully the confidence will push us on as going into our next game with one point would have put a lot of pressure on it.
  • Options
    Took an eternity to get back home last night, an hour after the game finished I was still stuck in horrendous traffic outside Makros! Lots of old bill meat wagons with blues and twos going, was there any trouble after the game?
    As for the game, we'll what can I say, 1st half we looked slow, confused and were given the runaround. Woolacott kept us in it.
    2nd half a completely different game, lots of good play, Dobbo, Kirk, CBT, Sess, Clare and a lovely little cameo from Payne  most enjoyable to watch.
    There is a lot of work still to do, but 4 from 6 is not a bad start!
  • Options
    Summer time innit, salads, weight watchers etc.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    What a weird game. I said on the pre match thread that we’ll need to be patient this season but I wasn’t feeling much like that at half time. It was an unacceptable performance tbh with O’Connell and Clare the worst but nobody played well. We should have been 3 or 4 down. 

Second half was a different story. The linkup play between Fraser, Sessegnon and Kirk was excellent (amazing what happens when you actually play to someone’s strengths. Blackett-Taylor was also dangerous on the other side and Dobson showed that he absolutely can play Garner-ball - I thought he was the best passer on the pitch.

If we can play like we did for the first 25 minutes of the second half for 90 then we’ll be a challenger this year. Derby will be fine if they can find a finisher.

Also thought it was a bit of an odd atmosphere. Lots of new players and a new manager but it didn’t feel like a fresh start for some reason. Also got welcomed to my new seat in the North Lower with a solid punch up between a few fat knobheads behind me and someone poking me in the back telling me to sit down in the 89th minute. Charlton are back. 

Saw that also, looked really pathetic.

On the football:

"Playing out from the back" was the one thing that really scared me. I hope they get it right, or abandon it as we seem alright in the air.

Game of two halves. No, actually, a game of one third and two thirds: before Dobson and after Dobson.
  • Options
    terrible first half and i said at half time that we looked nervous - derby looked like superior specimens but second half was a massive relief and i think garner is spot on in that it was a psychological - dobson coming on changed the momentum - he's excellent at what he does but i also appreciate garner wanting to have a ball player in that position because as somebody incorrectly mentioned about semedo above - if you want to play good football, it helps massively if your cdm can play - which semedo couldn't - however, in dobbo's case, he can play enough and and has to start. Keeper was great, a real positive. Claire was very very good and i like the look of payne. Kirk did indeed show some promising stuff as did fraser, even if he's maybe missing a bit of strength - cbt is mustard. The crowd was better than i expected.I had it at 15-16k which airman said was a stretch but it was 17k however he wants to dress it up and put one of his negatives on it - absent season ticket holders are always counted (and by every team in the league)and there will always be a lot at this time of year. Still don't think Stockley is the solution up top as a lone striker, hopeful TS will deliver the signings we need in the next few weeks and if he does, we can look forward to a good season. COYR!!