Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 6th August 2022 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    How the feck did today happen?
    Dobson.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    An odd game in that we were awful in the first half, but somehow didn't concede. The centre backs were all over the place, we were constantly overrun down the flanks, and the midfield offered no protection. Only our keeper gets any credit.

Second half we were much better, even if we still rode our luck with more awful finishing by Derby. Dobson showed he is essential in games like this, Morgan showed why he deserves to play BUT not as the defensive shield, and the defence looked more solid, if still not great.

Stockley wasn't great, too slow to get onto low crosses, but also should have done better with his headed chances. Fraser was anonymous, and must be more at risk than Morgan from Payne who make a really encouraging cameo.
    I actually think the turning point was Dobson coming on, rather than the half time whistle. No idea why he didn’t start, a slightly below par performance in the Accrington match seems a crazy reason to drop him today given how important he is to us.
    Remember he played for the "stiffs" v Welling.  I was more surprised that he started at Accrington than he didn't start today.

That's not a reflection on what I would do, what I thought would happen.
    Such a strange way to treat the one player that can really make us tick. At this level there are few more effective players at winning back possession in the middle of the pitch, creating the opportunity for us to a) stop the opposition pressuring us, and b) setting us up to pressure the opposition. He’d be the first name on my team sheet. 
    I don't think not having someone as the first name on the team sheet is treating them badly?  Clean slate isn't it?

Else Fraser, Kirk and Morgan would be no where near the team.
    Maybe “treat” was the wrong word, “use” might have been better. Either way, he’s one of (if not the) best players in our squad, and it clearly showed when he came on. 
    Book mark that and come back to it at the end of the season........

I would have him in the team but I will lay good money that if he wins POTY this year we won't get in the play offs.
    We’ll see, I think Dobson is an incredibly important player for is and I don’t think we have anyone else who can play that role. I wouldn’t start a game without him unless we have to. Semedo was instrumental for us in a similar position when we won L1 a decade ago, let’s hope the same thing happens again! 
    The Semedo that played for Sheffield Wednesday at the time?  
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    That’s the sort of thing the old charlton used to do, spanked 0-0 first half, come out second half and win!!!!……. Wollacott 1st half fantastic,  Dobson was something else when he came on, Clare really played well, Albie was unfortunately The Albie I’ve slated for too long first half,second half so much better, closing down at the end was great, When Albie decides to run forward and effect a game that’s when he shows he has something, he so needs to look forward on the pitch more and might prove,  many wrong, but not yet mind. The team as a whole were miles better second half, do we actually have a manager that doesn’t send the players to sleep at halftime for a change, must have been a blinder from BG. Well done  to the lads today could of got ugly, but showed real character.👍
    You really know nothing about football but only serve comment to slate AM for a year now. Nothing about Sessegnon who passed off the pitch twice in the first half but actually played well against a tricky winger. Plus O'connell who nearly gifted Derby a goal with a poor headed back pass , McGrandles and Fraser Anonymous, Clare letting his man drift behind him in the first half but excellent 2nd.

The one you mention and continue to mention is AM and always negatively. Even in a positive comment there is a barbed dig.

AM wasn't perfect in the first half but he didn't hide and if you watch again got in some crucial interceptions.

Seriously fuck off,are you his dad? I said he has done well, if he didn’t I’d say he played shit. Didn’t realise you were the football oracle. You didn’t need to have a dig, I know plenty about football like many others. Fucking no need you joker. If Albie carries on his slight improvement he will win people over.

we’ve just won and you’d rather have a pop at a fellow supporter, fucking class.
    Jeez calm down mate. Reply with reasoning, you do it with other posts. Don’t get so wound up.
    I’m absolutely fine, if people want to disagree no problem, but if they want to have a sly dig, I’ll respond in kind.
    Going off on a sweary rant when someone makes a few pointed comments in your direction is not responding in kind, it's an escalation. It is possible to be the bigger man and just roll your eyes and move on. I'd recommend putting the keyboard down, putting the highlights show on ITV4 on, and come back to the thread tomorrow.
    Apologies for the sweary rant, however if people intend to insult within they’re pointed comments, it’s a little difficult not to respond. Disagree by all means, that’s no problem. I shall refrain from effing and jeffing.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    That’s the sort of thing the old charlton used to do, spanked 0-0 first half, come out second half and win!!!!……. Wollacott 1st half fantastic,  Dobson was something else when he came on, Clare really played well, Albie was unfortunately The Albie I’ve slated for too long first half,second half so much better, closing down at the end was great, When Albie decides to run forward and effect a game that’s when he shows he has something, he so needs to look forward on the pitch more and might prove,  many wrong, but not yet mind. The team as a whole were miles better second half, do we actually have a manager that doesn’t send the players to sleep at halftime for a change, must have been a blinder from BG. Well done  to the lads today could of got ugly, but showed real character.👍
    You really know nothing about football but only serve comment to slate AM for a year now. Nothing about Sessegnon who passed off the pitch twice in the first half but actually played well against a tricky winger. Plus O'connell who nearly gifted Derby a goal with a poor headed back pass , McGrandles and Fraser Anonymous, Clare letting his man drift behind him in the first half but excellent 2nd.

The one you mention and continue to mention is AM and always negatively. Even in a positive comment there is a barbed dig.

AM wasn't perfect in the first half but he didn't hide and if you watch again got in some crucial interceptions.

Seriously fuck off,are you his dad? I said he has done well, if he didn’t I’d say he played shit. Didn’t realise you were the football oracle. You didn’t need to have a dig, I know plenty about football like many others. Fucking no need you joker. If Albie carries on his slight improvement he will win people over.
    Breaking news, he isn't Albie's dad and Thomas isn't going to shag you.

Different opinions, who would ever have thought it...
    Breaking news you are jumping on the bandwagon unnecessarily, I’m a married man and that comment is just fucking childish and idiotic.
    The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

For months any criticism of anything is completely taboo as far as your concerned, unless it's aimed at Morgan.  Makes sense.  
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

we’ve just won and you’d rather have a pop at a fellow supporter, fucking class.
    Jeez calm down mate. Reply with reasoning, you do it with other posts. Don’t get so wound up.
    I’m absolutely fine, if people want to disagree no problem, but if they want to have a sly dig, I’ll respond in kind.
    It wasn't a sly dig as it was a criticism of your observations which obviously are your opinions about AM. Even you stated you "slate" which gives us an understanding of your view and a view that you are consistent with.

For the record I'm not his Dad rather a fan who see's AM in a more positive way as a player in Charlton's team than yourself. 
    I apologise for the sweary reply, however you started off with, you really know nothing, we all see and interpret things differently in games, that doesn’t mean we know nothing.I’m not the only person on here that doesn’t see Albie as good enough and reaffirm that view many times. I was giving credit where it was due and you turned it into myself giving faint praise  to reinforce your opinion. 
  • Options
    Thought there'd be a bigger crowd today, any thoughts?
  • Options
    I see that Famewo started in a back 3 for Wednesday but was forced off after 29 mins. 

Not sure if that’s good or bad news for us. They still won. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Seriously,are you his dad? I said he has done well, if he didn’t I’d say he played shit. Didn’t realise you were the football oracle. You didn’t need to have a dig, I know plenty about football like many others. If Albie carries on his slight improvement he will win people over.

we’ve just won and you’d rather have a pop at a fellow supporter

Breaking news you are jumping on the bandwagon unnecessarily, I’m a married man and that comment is just fucking childish and idiotic.
    The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

For months any criticism of anything is completely taboo as far as your concerned, unless it's aimed at Morgan.  Makes sense.  
    👍😂

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Really, I am surprised it passed 17k

Edit, just read Airman’s comment on another thread saying “actual” crowd was more like 13k 

Looks like we are reverting back to the old way of announcing attendances 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Seriously,are you his dad? I said he has done well, if he didn’t I’d say he played shit. Didn’t realise you were the football oracle. You didn’t need to have a dig, I know plenty about football like many others. If Albie carries on his slight improvement he will win people over.

we’ve just won and you’d rather have a pop at a fellow supporter

The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

👍😂
    I wouldn't eat your chips tonight Paul🦊, unless you like them soggy that is 😎

• Options
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Breaking news you are being a prick and jumping on the bandwagon unnecessarily, I’m a married man and that comment is just fucking childish and idiotic.
    The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

👍😂
    🤷🏻‍♂️?
  • Options
    I think we all suspected that this was always going to be a tricky transition period getting to where Ben Garner wants us to be. Accrington was encouraging if not ultimately hugely disappointing and todays first half obviously unacceptable. The massive plus is that Garner stayed with it and the players got past their anxieties and ground out the win. They will take much from that. Work to be done certainly but there is a sparkle starting to emerge. I like Garner. I think he’s genuine and does have a plan. Please get in those three extra players Thomas. This season we’re not going to piss it but we definitely can sneak up on it. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Breaking news you are being a prick and jumping on the bandwagon unnecessarily, I’m a married man and that comment is just fucking childish and idiotic.
    The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

👍😂
    🤷🏻‍♂️?
    That opening insult would have pissed me off too... and I don't claim to know much about football. I'm just pleased we won, so no one's going to piss on my chips.
  • Options
    Excellent summary LookouT thanks,  other posters too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ragged in places, Wollacot kept us in it, BUT CBT my MOM with Dobbo a close 2nd, Morgan is starting to play along with Kirk. Proper football match today well worth the money. Sess looks more than a cut above average for L1. O Connor has me worried some times, lacks concentration.

On to Tuesday night then Sheffield on Sat, not quite a spring in my step but more a glass half full.

(Seeing Tracey Leaburn come on and cuddle Miles at the end was what Charlton is all about
    family.!!)
  • Options
    Great atmosphere .. great reception for TS shows the minority the fans are right behind him .. 
    very hot as well and three points … 

seen people say we were rubbish that’s not the case .. we looked nervous and even through Derby had lot of procession they only really created two chances .. the best chance of the half was for Stockley who should really have scored when only the keeper to beat after excellent work from Kirk, this during our best spell in the last 10 mins of the half. Second half we were dominate and deserved the three points .. lots of positives to take today JoJo in goal , Inniss and  O’Connell won everything second half , Payne looked lively , Dobson made lot of important tackles  .. and Kirk was excellent today …… but both teams deserve credit for producing a very good high energy game in the heat 

• Options
    Really, I am surprised it passed 17k

Edit, just read Airman’s comment on another thread saying “actual” crowd was more like 13k 

Looks like we are reverting back to the old way of announcing attendances 
    Admittedly I didn’t go much last season but always thought first home game of the season brings out the enthusiasm, new manager, new players and hopefully a new identity? But then again maybe not.
  • Options
    Great atmosphere .. great reception for TS shows the minority the fans are right behind him .. 
    very hot as well and three points … 

seen people say we were rubbish that’s not the case .. we looked nervous and even through Derby had lot of procession they only really created two chances .. the best chance of the half was for Stockley who should really have scored when only the keeper to beat after excellent work from Kirk, this during our best spell in the last 10 mins of the half. Second half we were dominate and deserved the three points .. lots of positives to take today JoJo in goal , Inniss and  O’Connell won everything second half , Payne looked lively , Dobson made lot of important tackles  .. and Kirk was excellent today …… but both teams deserve credit for producing a very good high energy game in the heat 

“Derby only really created two chances”

Righto Ronnie
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    swordfish said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

The bandwagon 🤣🤣🤣🤣

👍😂
    🤷🏻‍♂️?
    That opening insult would have pissed me off too... and I don't claim to know much about football. I'm just pleased we won, so no one's going to piss on my chips.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it down there today, the way they came through a tough period and won, I was genuinely giving praise to Albie and was pointing out what I thought he does best.I commented as I saw it, I’m no expert. I think at the moment I’m fair game for certain contributors whom are intent on putting me in my place,that’s fine.👍

Thomas isn't going to shag you.,,, thought this comment from @cafc43v4r was pretty disgusting and unnecessary to be honest. Because I won’t publicly moan about TS  until he actually cocks it up.
    So literally thought the other poster was Albie's dad?
  • Options
    edited August 2022