Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 6th August 2022 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    An odd game in that we were awful in the first half, but somehow didn't concede. The centre backs were all over the place, we were constantly overrun down the flanks, and the midfield offered no protection. Only our keeper gets any credit.

Second half we were much better, even if we still rode our luck with more awful finishing by Derby. Dobson showed he is essential in games like this, Morgan showed why he deserves to play BUT not as the defensive shield, and the defence looked more solid, if still not great.

Stockley wasn't great, too slow to get onto low crosses, but also should have done better with his headed chances. Fraser was anonymous, and must be more at risk than Morgan from Payne who make a really encouraging cameo.
  • Options
    Funniest part of the day was @o-randy-hunt brother doing the crossbar challenge on not getting it on target 🤣🤣

Was a decent player as well.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Have we used up all our luck for the season in that first half???
    Those saves weren’t luck, they were skill. Those misses weren’t luck, they were a lack of the same. 
  • Options
    Didn't expect that result at twenty minutes in... In the end we probably should have had more!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Serious question here.

Would anyone be upset if Kirk started next Saturday ?

For me I was surprised to see him start today but he showed glimpses of quality today and with a run of games I think he could be decent for us.

I assumed Morgan would give way once Payne was up to speed but tbh (this is hard for me to say lol) he is ahead of Fraser on the showing so far
    Was disappointed with Fraser today. On that performance alone I'd drop him for Payne. Dobson would always be in there for me so McGrandles misses out. I'm not Albies biggest fan but he put in a good second half performance today. And in answer to the first question, yes Kirk keeps his place 
    Fraser was almost invisible.
    Translucent 
  • Options
    Surprised it's not been said yet but who was that cnut who ran on during the minutes applause with the corner flag. Lifetime ban isn't it now. Good to see the Derby fans giving stick to one of their own as he was led off.

Not many times we've had such a moment for players I've actually seen play, Walker and Tutt in this instance, brought a tear to my eye I must admit.
    Was he one of theirs? Absolute prick.
  • Options
    First things first, Mendez-Laing is a real life Robocop.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I’ve just got in from being out for the day, don’t want to put a negative point because today was a superb result but I see we made 6 subs today when I thought it was only 5 in the football league? 
    Garner was anxious to give all the outfield subs some minutes.

If he could have got away with it, he'd have also brought on Gillivray in the 1st half and played with 2 keepers, as it looked like the only way to stop Derby scoring.

• Options
    edited August 2022
    I thought Fraser did okay between 45-60 then looked fucked.

Dont think he should start the next league game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was that the first English domestic game with 6 subs? Not sure if there were any concussion subs last week.
  • Options
    PWR.

What an odd game. One that will be brought up whenever a discussion is had about lucky points. 

As I said on the match thread - no point moaning about the calamitous back passes or being caught in position 30 yards from our goal, it is what it is. That is Garnerball. 

Still think Stockley is not the player you need in that team & with that formation, and to win games more clearly the front 3 have to be clinical/more confident in front of goal. Kirk wasted some chances (and I'm not counting the attempted lob in the first half) and Leaburn is too raw. Payne showed the guile & trickery needed in that position.

But a win from the jaws of defeat can't be moaned at. CBT, Clare (2nd half) Dobson & Morgan all come out with credit. Centre halves less so. Woolacott MOTM for his first half efforts as without his saves we would have sunk without trace.
  • Options
    An odd game in that we were awful in the first half, but somehow didn't concede. The centre backs were all over the place, we were constantly overrun down the flanks, and the midfield offered no protection.
    But apart from that it was good 👍 
  • Options
    Surprised it's not been said yet but who was that cnut who ran on during the minutes applause with the corner flag. Lifetime ban isn't it now. Good to see the Derby fans giving stick to one of their own as he was led off.

Not many times we've had such a moment for players I've actually seen play, Walker and Tutt in this instance, brought a tear to my eye I must admit.
    My only assumption on that was the pratt had been on the sauce since the morning and in his inebriated logic was doing a show of respect in waving the Charlton corner flag.

If not then God knows what was going through his swede.
  • Options
    I thought Fraser did okay between 45-60 then looked fucked.

Dont think he should start the next league game.
    Yeah, there’s looks to be something up with him to me. Seems a bit off the pace an tires quickly. There’s flashes of quality in the way he turns away from a man but he’s quickly caught and crowded out again. Night and day between him and the energy levels of Albie and Payne. Shame one or those two isn’t a bit bigger physically. 
  • Options
    Was it a Derby or charlton fan.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Was it a Derby or charlton fan.
    I think Derby. He seemed to be smiling and waving to them as he went off only to get a volley of abuse in return.