Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 6th August 2022 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Very much a game of two halves.  Hopefully we don’t see first-half Charlton again. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    An odd game in that we were awful in the first half, but somehow didn't concede. The centre backs were all over the place, we were constantly overrun down the flanks, and the midfield offered no protection. Only our keeper gets any credit.

Second half we were much better, even if we still rode our luck with more awful finishing by Derby. Dobson showed he is essential in games like this, Morgan showed why he deserves to play BUT not as the defensive shield, and the defence looked more solid, if still not great.

Stockley wasn't great, too slow to get onto low crosses, but also should have done better with his headed chances. Fraser was anonymous, and must be more at risk than Morgan from Payne who make a really encouraging cameo.
    I actually think the turning point was Dobson coming on, rather than the half time whistle. No idea why he didn’t start, a slightly below par performance in the Accrington match seems a crazy reason to drop him today given how important he is to us.
    Remember he played for the "stiffs" v Welling.  I was more surprised that he started at Accrington than he didn't start today.

That's not a reflection on what I would do, what I thought would happen.
  • Options
    Our goalkeeper today was outstanding, without him we could quite easily have been 3 down at halftime.

Better 2nd half with CBT roasting their defence, whole team needs more clinical passing in the attacking third.

The ref hardly gave us a decision today, thought he was awful.

In the end 3 very welcome points.
  • Options
    So last time we had a good first half and a poor second. This time, the exact opposite. Facetiously you could say that works out as one good game and one bad.

More seriously it suggests to me that what Garner wants to do does definitely have potential to be effective but it's not totally come together yet. Whether the missing ingredient is a Kermorgant type late signing to be a talisman or simply more time, hopefully it comes together quickly and we will soon see effective performances for a whole 90 minutes.
  • Options
    Surprised it's not been said yet but who was that cnut who ran on during the minutes applause with the corner flag. Lifetime ban isn't it now. Good to see the Derby fans giving stick to one of their own as he was led off.

Not many times we've had such a moment for players I've actually seen play, Walker and Tutt in this instance, brought a tear to my eye I must admit.
    Was he one of theirs? Absolute prick.
    Oh, I thought he was one of our pricks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The enforced substitution changed the game. Dobson was my MOM and must start in my opinion. If McGrandles wasn't concussed who knows how the game would have panned out. Less said about the first half the better but we could have gone in ahead if Stockley had buried that header and in those last two minutes Kirk put in two peaches of crosses. Second half was more like it. More intensity about our play and everyone was up for up. Clare and Inniss did well and O'Connell looked a different player. Nerves maybe? Good break for the goal and nice play between Morgan and Kirk. Nice cameo from Payne, how long before he starts somewhere? Only criticism second half was we made some poor choices on the break otherwise we could have had a couple more.

Still not convinced Stockley suits the system and if he doesn't the system won't work effectively.

All in all, a very entertaining game from two sides who went for it. We got away with one today but heyho that's football.
    Agree with this 100 % . Albie can’t play the sitting role isnt good enough off of the ball. When we were looking to play it out from defence you couldn’t see the midfield as they had pushed up which made passing difficult. If we are going to do that we need some of the midfielders to drop and play shorter passes. 

Stockley does nothing in the high press . If we are going to play that way we need a quick forward that can close the CB’s down. 

A lot better when Dobson came on - he broke up play and got the ball moving again. I guess Garner thinks he has better passing options in that position, but none of them so far can break up play and pick up the pieces like Dobson. 

Really impressed 2nd half - we looked like a team that really wanted to win, moved there ball well and could easily have won 2 or 3 nil. 

Game of Two halves 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Surprised it's not been said yet but who was that cnut who ran on during the minutes applause with the corner flag. Lifetime ban isn't it now. Good to see the Derby fans giving stick to one of their own as he was led off.

Not many times we've had such a moment for players I've actually seen play, Walker and Tutt in this instance, brought a tear to my eye I must admit.
    At least we can agree that either way he was a prick.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    An odd game in that we were awful in the first half, but somehow didn't concede. The centre backs were all over the place, we were constantly overrun down the flanks, and the midfield offered no protection. Only our keeper gets any credit.

Second half we were much better, even if we still rode our luck with more awful finishing by Derby. Dobson showed he is essential in games like this, Morgan showed why he deserves to play BUT not as the defensive shield, and the defence looked more solid, if still not great.

Stockley wasn't great, too slow to get onto low crosses, but also should have done better with his headed chances. Fraser was anonymous, and must be more at risk than Morgan from Payne who make a really encouraging cameo.
    I actually think the turning point was Dobson coming on, rather than the half time whistle. No idea why he didn’t start, a slightly below par performance in the Accrington match seems a crazy reason to drop him today given how important he is to us.
    Remember he played for the "stiffs" v Welling.  I was more surprised that he started at Accrington than he didn't start today.

Such a strange way to treat the one player that can really make us tick. At this level there are few more effective players at winning back possession in the middle of the pitch, creating the opportunity for us to a) stop the opposition pressuring us, and b) setting us up to pressure the opposition. He’d be the first name on my team sheet. 
    I don't think not having someone as the first name on the team sheet is treating them badly?  Clean slate isn't it?

Else Fraser, Kirk and Morgan would be no where near the team.
  • Options
    Loved the Garner post match interview, let's wait till next week if that monkey is off the back. Will be a tough game but let's see...
  • Options
    Pukka photo @br7_addick
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:

Such a strange way to treat the one player that can really make us tick. At this level there are few more effective players at winning back possession in the middle of the pitch, creating the opportunity for us to a) stop the opposition pressuring us, and b) setting us up to pressure the opposition. He’d be the first name on my team sheet. 
    I don't think not having someone as the first name on the team sheet is treating them badly?  Clean slate isn't it?

Maybe “treat” was the wrong word, “use” might have been better. Either way, he’s one of (if not the) best players in our squad, and it clearly showed when he came on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:

At least we can agree that either way he was a prick.
    😂indeed
  • Options
    thecat said:
    Don't ever drop Dobson again!!!
    Don't ever drop Dobson again - again.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:

Maybe “treat” was the wrong word, “use” might have been better. Either way, he’s one of (if not the) best players in our squad, and it clearly showed when he came on. 
    Book mark that and come back to it at the end of the season........

I would have him in the team but I will lay good money that if he wins POTY this year we won't get in the play offs.
  • Options
    First half I think we panicked, forgot the plan and just booted the ball anywhere inviting them to keep coming at us.  We looked poor and naive. That cross Kirk put in for Stockley was wonderful and seemed to help him as until then, apart from his scuffed effort at an empty goal he was invisible.

Second half everything was better, Kirk showed more flashes of brilliance.  CBT terrifies teams.  Dobson did what he does.

But how that game didn't end up 3-4 or that Derby didn't score or even have an effort on target Second half is mad.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:

I maintain him and CBT are our best players