Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 6th August 2022 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Woeful first half, lucky not to be at least 2 down.

The second half we couldn’t have been any worse, so was it an improvement or had Derby run themselves ragged in the Sun?

Thought the defence looked shaky and O’Connel was poor as was Fraser.

Goalkeeper at the moment looks the best bit of business this summer.
  • Options
    cazo said:
    Was it a Derby or charlton fan.
    Derby 
  • Options
    For the first 30 minutes we were awful, then Dobson came on. Nothing more to say!
  • Options
    How the feck did today happen?
  • Options
    Pukka photo @br7_addick
    Cheers, he was a very friendly and down to earth, happy days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's interesting that Garner seems to have set up today based on where we were rather than who we were playing. He clearly likes having more of a ball player behind the midfield two rather than a shielding player, which is a modern tweak a lot of teams have put in place, but he's gone in with McGrandles as more of an aggressive ball-mover rather than Dobson, a violent ball-stopper, and Kirk instead of DJ for flair rather than work rate. I wouldn't be surprised if that was his home/away regular switch-up, but it will be interesting to see if he starts making those changes based on the teams rather than whether we're at The Valley or not. I suspect he'll want us to set our stall out and play a certain way regardless of the opposition, but we could see some dropped points at home because we might have benefited from being a bit more solid rather than sticking to the broader plan. Two big results though. Away at Accrington who are a proper fortress team and home against Derby who were recently relegated from the Championship is a tough start and getting 4 points from that is huge. In theory we should get better and better as the players start to gel and learn from games how best to play Garner's way, so getting points on the board now should hopefully set us up nicely going forward
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    An odd game in that we were awful in the first half, but somehow didn't concede. The centre backs were all over the place, we were constantly overrun down the flanks, and the midfield offered no protection. Only our keeper gets any credit.

Second half we were much better, even if we still rode our luck with more awful finishing by Derby. Dobson showed he is essential in games like this, Morgan showed why he deserves to play BUT not as the defensive shield, and the defence looked more solid, if still not great.

Stockley wasn't great, too slow to get onto low crosses, but also should have done better with his headed chances. Fraser was anonymous, and must be more at risk than Morgan from Payne who make a really encouraging cameo.
    I actually think the turning point was Dobson coming on, rather than the half time whistle. No idea why he didn’t start, a slightly below par performance in the Accrington match seems a crazy reason to drop him today given how important he is to us.
    Remember he played for the "stiffs" v Welling.  I was more surprised that he started at Accrington than he didn't start today.

That's not a reflection on what I would do, what I thought would happen.
    Such a strange way to treat the one player that can really make us tick. At this level there are few more effective players at winning back possession in the middle of the pitch, creating the opportunity for us to a) stop the opposition pressuring us, and b) setting us up to pressure the opposition. He’d be the first name on my team sheet. 
    I don't think not having someone as the first name on the team sheet is treating them badly?  Clean slate isn't it?

Else Fraser, Kirk and Morgan would be no where near the team.
    Maybe “treat” was the wrong word, “use” might have been better. Either way, he’s one of (if not the) best players in our squad, and it clearly showed when he came on. 
    Book mark that and come back to it at the end of the season........

I would have him in the team but I will lay good money that if he wins POTY this year we won't get in the play offs.
    We’ll see, I think Dobson is an incredibly important player for is and I don’t think we have anyone else who can play that role. I wouldn’t start a game without him unless we have to. Semedo was instrumental for us in a similar position when we won L1 a decade ago, let’s hope the same thing happens again! 
  • Options
    I thought Fraser did okay between 45-60 then looked fucked.

Dont think he should start the next league game.
    Yeah, there’s looks to be something up with him to me. Seems a bit off the pace an tires quickly. There’s flashes of quality in the way he turns away from a man but he’s quickly caught and crowded out again. Night and day between him and the energy levels of Albie and Payne. Shame one or those two isn’t a bit bigger physically. 
    Covid?
  • Options
    Fucking great video! You can tell that the players actually do care!
    Camera doesn't quite pick it up, but you hear the crowd chant, on seeing Tracey giving Miles a big hug on the pitch: a very special moment for many fans I think as well as the Leaburn family.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    An odd game in that we were awful in the first half, but somehow didn't concede. The centre backs were all over the place, we were constantly overrun down the flanks, and the midfield offered no protection. Only our keeper gets any credit.

Second half we were much better, even if we still rode our luck with more awful finishing by Derby. Dobson showed he is essential in games like this, Morgan showed why he deserves to play BUT not as the defensive shield, and the defence looked more solid, if still not great.

Stockley wasn't great, too slow to get onto low crosses, but also should have done better with his headed chances. Fraser was anonymous, and must be more at risk than Morgan from Payne who make a really encouraging cameo.
    I actually think the turning point was Dobson coming on, rather than the half time whistle. No idea why he didn’t start, a slightly below par performance in the Accrington match seems a crazy reason to drop him today given how important he is to us.
    Remember he played for the "stiffs" v Welling.  I was more surprised that he started at Accrington than he didn't start today.

Such a strange way to treat the one player that can really make us tick. At this level there are few more effective players at winning back possession in the middle of the pitch, creating the opportunity for us to a) stop the opposition pressuring us, and b) setting us up to pressure the opposition. He’d be the first name on my team sheet. 
    I don't think not having someone as the first name on the team sheet is treating them badly?  Clean slate isn't it?

Maybe “treat” was the wrong word, “use” might have been better. Either way, he’s one of (if not the) best players in our squad, and it clearly showed when he came on. 

I would have him in the team but I will lay good money that if he wins POTY this year we won't get in the play offs.
    We’ll see, I think Dobson is an incredibly important player for is and I don’t think we have anyone else who can play that role. I wouldn’t start a game without him unless we have to. Semedo was instrumental for us in a similar position when we won L1 a decade ago, let’s hope the same thing happens again! 
    I'm really not sure that is right.

As far as I recall, it was only after Chris Powell gave Semedo a free transfer that we won the league the following season.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    That’s the sort of thing the old charlton used to do, spanked 0-0 first half, come out second half and win!!!!……. Wollacott 1st half fantastic,  Dobson was something else when he came on, Clare really played well, Albie was unfortunately The Albie I’ve slated for too long first half,second half so much better, closing down at the end was great, When Albie decides to run forward and effect a game that’s when he shows he has something, he so needs to look forward on the pitch more and might prove,  many wrong, but not yet mind. The team as a whole were miles better second half, do we actually have a manager that doesn’t send the players to sleep at halftime for a change, must have been a blinder from BG. Well done  to the lads today could of got ugly, but showed real character.👍
    You really know nothing about football but only serve comment to slate AM for a year now. Nothing about Sessegnon who passed off the pitch twice in the first half but actually played well against a tricky winger. Plus O'connell who nearly gifted Derby a goal with a poor headed back pass , McGrandles and Fraser Anonymous, Clare letting his man drift behind him in the first half but excellent 2nd.

The one you mention and continue to mention is AM and always negatively. Even in a positive comment there is a barbed dig.

AM wasn't perfect in the first half but he didn't hide and if you watch again got in some crucial interceptions.

Seriously,are you his dad? I said he has done well, if he didn’t I’d say he played shit. Didn’t realise you were the football oracle. You didn’t need to have a dig, I know plenty about football like many others. If Albie carries on his slight improvement he will win people over.

we’ve just won and you’d rather have a pop at a fellow supporter
    Jeez calm down mate. Reply with reasoning, you do it with other posts. Don’t get so wound up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    That’s the sort of thing the old charlton used to do, spanked 0-0 first half, come out second half and win!!!!……. Wollacott 1st half fantastic,  Dobson was something else when he came on, Clare really played well, Albie was unfortunately The Albie I’ve slated for too long first half,second half so much better, closing down at the end was great, When Albie decides to run forward and effect a game that’s when he shows he has something, he so needs to look forward on the pitch more and might prove,  many wrong, but not yet mind. The team as a whole were miles better second half, do we actually have a manager that doesn’t send the players to sleep at halftime for a change, must have been a blinder from BG. Well done  to the lads today could of got ugly, but showed real character.👍
    You really know nothing about football but only serve comment to slate AM for a year now. Nothing about Sessegnon who passed off the pitch twice in the first half but actually played well against a tricky winger. Plus O'connell who nearly gifted Derby a goal with a poor headed back pass , McGrandles and Fraser Anonymous, Clare letting his man drift behind him in the first half but excellent 2nd.

The one you mention and continue to mention is AM and always negatively. Even in a positive comment there is a barbed dig.

AM wasn't perfect in the first half but he didn't hide and if you watch again got in some crucial interceptions.

Seriously,are you his dad? I said he has done well, if he didn’t I’d say he played shit. Didn’t realise you were the football oracle. You didn’t need to have a dig, I know plenty about football like many others. If Albie carries on his slight improvement he will win people over.

we’ve just won and you’d rather have a pop at a fellow supporter
    Jeez calm down mate. Reply with reasoning, you do it with other posts. Don’t get so wound up.
    I’m absolutely fine, if people want to disagree no problem, but if they want to have a sly dig, I’ll respond in kind.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:

I'm really not sure that is right.

As far as I recall, it was only after Chris Powell gave Semedo a free transfer that we won the league the following season.
    Ah, my bad. Should have kept him and we would have won the league by even more! 
  • Options
    Interesting that in the post match talk, Garner said that his half time talk was muted and he made a last minute decision whilst walking in, to be cool. Obviously he thinks a lot about what and how to address the players. Curbs on the other hand mentioned that in tmes past, following a 1st half like that, he'd have given them a roasting. 
  • Options
    Interesting that in the post match talk, Garner said that his half time talk was muted and he made a last minute decision whilst walking in, to be cool. Obviously he thinks a lot about what and how to address the players. Curbs on the other hand mentioned that in tmes past, following a 1st half like that, he'd have given them a roasting. 
    Other managers (Curbs?) have said that while you  might want a few harsh words, it's a waste of HT anyway to spend the whole time on bollocking them, rather than giving constructive comments
  • Options
    We won with a great 2nd half turn around. Let's start moaning when we loose 2-0 next week