Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 6th August 2022 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Excellent result

Football is a game of 90minutes. Should give Charlton a touch of positive momentum for the next few games 
  • Options
    Did anyone catch the official attendance?
  • Options
    what a welcome back to the Valley. Outplayed first half but great battling to keep a clean sheet. Second half was class, the battling was still there but we also played some lovely football especially on the break, only thing missing was the final ball so many times letting us down. Still don’t understand how Stockley didn’t score in the first half. Big call out to Ben Garner for what he said at half time and the way he used the substitutions.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Did anyone catch the official attendance?
    Reported as 17,046.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Serious question here.

Would anyone be upset if Kirk started next Saturday ?

For me I was surprised to see him start today but he showed glimpses of quality today and with a run of games I think he could be decent for us.

I assumed Morgan would give way once Payne was up to speed but tbh (this is hard for me to say lol) he is ahead of Fraser on the showing so far
    I think he is worth persevering with, needs some left foot practice, he did let his man go for the header 2nd half, I think he’s a typical winger as in needing the fans behind him for confidence, if that happens I think he will improve, if he’s here long enough?
  • Options
    As the old cliche goes it was a game of two halves. Derby could have gone in at half time three up however that is what the keeper is paid for and boy did he earn his wages.

Second half was a big improvement although still sloppy at times but we got the goal and could have got more.

Lovely touch from Kirk for the goal and a lot of good performances all over the pitch to keep us in it.

Four points out of six and top five, happy days
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a result. Talked my dad out of backing us as couldn’t see us winning. Won’t deny that I wasn’t impressed when we appointed garner but delighted he’s got that first win.
  • Options
    Kirk played well but his body language was still off to me
    Gave that a lol, were you at the game?
  • Options
    First half we were awful, second half played really well. I was impressed with the desire and energy from us, with players still pressing and chasing everything down in the 95th minute. Guess it helps though when you can sub 6 of your 10 outfield players.

Huge let off when the unmarked Derby player somehow headed wide from about 3 yards. Derby are a good side and will surely be in the play off hunt so it's a great win for us and good to get off the mark in the first home game.
  • Options
    Gave that a lol, were you at the game?
    Maybe I’m seeing things wrong 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Serious question here.

Would anyone be upset if Kirk started next Saturday ?

For me I was surprised to see him start today but he showed glimpses of quality today and with a run of games I think he could be decent for us.

I assumed Morgan would give way once Payne was up to speed but tbh (this is hard for me to say lol) he is ahead of Fraser on the showing so far
    I wouldn't. He had an encouraging pre season and fits how we want to play very well. Thought he was good again today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedJohn said:
    For those that think Charlton were lucky to win, stats confirm the following

Goal attempts............................Charlton 14 v 13 Derby
    Shots on target..........................Charlton   7 v  2  Derby.

If we had been 2 or 3 nil down at HT, then the second half would have been very different. Derby could have sat back, and we wouldn't have had the space from which we looked most dangerous.
  • Options
    I've noticed that Kirk seems very involved with all the players, very integrated. Really nice to see, I hope he stays
    Think it's just taken him time to settle, especially after losing his Dad just before he joined (although I'm sure someone will say their dad lost his Dad when he was young and had to crack on with it wibble wibble).
  • Options
    I thought Kirk struggled more than most at the start because he's probably our worst defensive player.

So as a result he made himself look pedestrian - He then grew into it First Half, and was probably our best player at the high press, if his foot had been working he'd have grabbed a goal before HT when he caught them in possession.

Was disappointed when he was subbed, as you can almost see him improving as an individual for us, and I dont want to see that progression end per game. If anyone looks at the non matchday content, they'll see that he's really getting involved, which I dont remember seeing previously - Only Morgan provided better delivery into the box second half for me.

Would love to have insight on the effect that living with Sam Lavelle appears to be having on him.