Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 6th August 2022 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Thought there'd be a bigger crowd today, any thoughts?
    Really, I am surprised it passed 17k

Edit, just read Airman’s comment on another thread saying “actual” crowd was more like 13k 

Looks like we are reverting back to the old way of announcing attendances 
    I’m told we have close to 8,500 STs and the actual was about 14,000. I do think that will be as good as it gets (giveaways apart) for some time, as that is probably the biggest fixture of the season. You won’t get more full paying home fans for Plymouth (midweek), Cambridge, Exeter  or Forest Green (midweek) regardless of results.
    I think that if results and performances keep up it will improve, I think attendances are always a little low in school holidays as so many people (myself included) are away. Gutted to miss it, but I nearly swerved off the road and into the Angel of the North in celebration listening to the commentary when we scored our goal!

Seen brief highlights and that first save by Woolacott was out of this world!

I totally agree with Garner’s assessment of that first half being a hangover from last year. So many times we heard the manager say we trained well through the week and then they produced rubbish on the pitch. 

Get a couple of new faces in for the Wednesday game and it will cap off a wonderful couple of weeks. Onwards and upwards. 👍
  • Options

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Kirk's play for the chance that Stockley should have buried was excellent. Also a very good left footed cross (much to my surprise).

His clever pass to the overlapping runner was also very clever for the goal.
    Was a peach of a cross which as you say Stockley should have buried. And the pass to Albie was very good, good movement from Albie and a good effort on goal. I'm so pleased that Charlie is finally showing why we paid 500k for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Derby seemed aware of Stockley's link up role of dropping short to receive a straight out-ball from the defence and was beaten to the ball every time in the first half. I think their pressing was encouraging that ball out of defence as a tactic to get a turnover.  

The centre back also gave him a hard time in the air. Made Stockley look ineffective, and with his misses thought at the time I wished Leaburn would come on to replace him.  

Respect those who saw it different but I really didn't think he had good game overall apart from winning more second ball and flick ons later in the game. Can see him getting on the score sheet eventually because of his ability to get into scoring positions but would like to see what Leaburn could do in the same position down the middle.
    Agreed

Curtis Davies out muscled him with the physical side, while on the deck he was too slow to get into the box, and indeed looked tired for much of the second half. 
  • Options
    Oh and Dobson needs to be one of the first 11s mainstays. Breaks up so much and puts himself about relentlessly.
    Dobson is the new Josh Cullen. Not in every respect but he's the metronome that sets the pace and standard for the rest of the team. He's proven that not only does he fly into those crunching challenges to break up the opposition's play, but he can play a very good pass to get our own attacks moving. I suspect Ben Garner, who I really like, made he same mistake as others have in seriously underestimating our Dobbo. I don't think he'll do that again.
  • Options

From the Beeb 
  • Options
    Kirk is a very clever player, would love to keep him.

Stockley doesn't fit the formation sadly, I would keep him but imagine if James Collins was up front for us instead yesterday!

Sess done a great job on Mendez Laing. 
    Collins looked great apart from where it really mattered.
  • Options
    For a player whose stock in trade is his heading prowess that really was some miss by Stockley. I suppose they don’t all go in but a free header from a perfect cross just a few yards out should have been a goal.
  • Options

Stockley doesn't fit the formation sadly, I would keep him but imagine if James Collins was up front for us instead yesterday!

Collins looked great apart from where it really mattered.
    His movement off the ball as a lone striker was excellent. He will score over 20 this season.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    https://youtu.be/NvlSyMoICWU

The extended highlights from Rams TV
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For a player whose stock in trade is his heading prowess that really was some miss by Stockley. I suppose they don’t all go in but a free header from a perfect cross just a few yards out should have been a goal.
    Should've been a goal, but at least it was a quality save... their boy missed an equally easy one at 1-0 that he put wide. Pretty sure Stockley will come good again, but we need to be creating more than 1 chance per game for him given that's how we're set up. 
  • Options

Honestly, the day he had I think Derby actually would have been better off with Stockley.
  • Options
    Great win after Derby overran is for the first half hour. Woolacot was fantastic in goal, one of those games you were pretty confident he wouldn’t let one in all day. 

I’m beginning to realize that people have different opinions on games / players based purely on where they sit/stand in the ground. I was in the east corner of the north lower yesterday. Initially Serby were playing a lot of balls to the very fast right winder (? Mendez). I have to say I thought Sessegnon was excellent defensively yesterday. A couple of minor errors on the ball but dealt with the Derby player really well. Maybe just because I saw a lot of it, but has made me much more confident in our full backs.

Interesting also that when our goalkeeper makes good saves everyone praises him (rightly so), but when the opposition goalkeeper does likewise our strikers have “missed”. Lots of people saying Stockley missed a sitter yesterday, but one save first half was fantastic, and second half a header went straight to him and he held well. 

Great result !!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    RC_CAFC said:
    Thought there'd be a bigger crowd today, any thoughts?
    Really, I am surprised it passed 17k

Edit, just read Airman’s comment on another thread saying “actual” crowd was more like 13k 

Looks like we are reverting back to the old way of announcing attendances 
    I’m told we have close to 8,500 STs and the actual was about 14,000. I do think that will be as good as it gets (giveaways apart) for some time, as that is probably the biggest fixture of the season. You won’t get more full paying home fans for Plymouth (midweek), Cambridge, Exeter  or Forest Green (midweek) regardless of results.
    I think that if results and performances keep up it will improve, I think attendances are always a little low in school holidays as so many people (myself included) are away. Gutted to miss it, but I nearly swerved off the road and into the Angel of the North in celebration listening to the commentary when we scored our goal!

Seen brief highlights and that first save by Woolacott was out of this world!

I totally agree with Garner’s assessment of that first half being a hangover from last year. So many times we heard the manager say we trained well through the week and then they produced rubbish on the pitch. 

Get a couple of new faces in for the Wednesday game and it will cap off a wonderful couple of weeks. Onwards and upwards. 👍
    This isn’t the case, although it’s a popular myth. You tend to get a lot of match ticket sales for the first game of the season (from people who aren’t away!), other things being equal, and that did happen yesterday. It does look as if there were between 2,000-2,5000 season ticket holders missing, the rest will be unused comps. 

That ST absentee number is a relatively high one for this fixture (reflecting holidays) but it is not an untypical number through the season given the L1 fixture list. There will likely be 3,000 or more missing for the midweeks, while the likes of Cambridge and Exeter won’t sell anything like as many match tickets, home or away. You can only really offset that shortfall with price offers or industrial scale free tickets. The higher prices will also hurt the potential for growth.

Results don’t really change that until the business end of the season - not saying they make no difference, but they won’t offset opening day enthusiasm. See also the Sheffield Wednesday crowd a year ago.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Should've been a goal, but at least it was a quality save... their boy missed an equally easy one at 1-0 that he put wide. Pretty sure Stockley will come good again, but we need to be creating more than 1 chance per game for him given that's how we're set up. 
    We did, he had a header saved in the second half that he should have done much better with too. And we won’t even mention his attempt at a long range shot.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Well, what an afternoon. Derby really ran the first 45 minutes, and missed some real sitters, though Wollacott looks an absolute gem of a keeper. After all that, we then spurned a great chance to go in ahead via Stockley. Someone posted this might go like the Leeds game, when they turned up with a real top notch starting XI, and we looked a different team after the break, and our winner was well deserved. They missed a sitter afterwards, and we could have added, but a great 1-0 win. Sess looks a great player, Dobson is essential in the middle, Clare made some great tackles, and Morgan and Kirk both proved themselves up to the job.
    I don't want to go overboard. A couple of years ago we beat Hull 2-1 at home with a last minute Makienok header and we looked a real team- to-beat. We lost 2-1 to Preston on the Tuesday and got relegated. This looks the real deal to me, with a couple of faces still to arrive. And a great way to spend a Saturday.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Most of AB's posts are really sounding like 'TS this' and 'TS that'. 
    Fact is he anticipated a crowd of 14k and it was 17k so a bit wide of the mark again