Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Derby County | Saturday 6th August 2022 @ 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    Look at the positioning of two full backs.  You couldn't see it, or I certainly couldn't on the highlights but Browny mentioned it a number of times on comms.

It's a very early Man City Pep thing.  Morgan took up the position you would expect an over/under lapping left back to be and both our full backs were tucked in to effectively be extra center mids.  Interesting.  I didn't notice that in pre-season.  Anyone else notice it?  I suspect a view from the East or West stands would give the best idea.
    I can’t say I noticed it at all pre season, but instantly picked up on it against Accrington - especially with Clare’s positioning. 

• Options
    What was the atmosphere like? 

Heard there was boing at HT which even if we’re weren’t playing well, is some going even by our standards!
  • Options

Heard there was boing at HT which even if we’re weren’t playing well, is some going even by our standards!
    Yep booing, loads of ‘lump it forward’ in the first half 
  • Options

A lot of frustration first half which was understandable given we had about 5 touches in the first 15 mins. 

Second half was good. Was really noisy when we scored.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:
    Look at the positioning of two full backs.  You couldn't see it, or I certainly couldn't on the highlights but Browny mentioned it a number of times on comms.

It's a very early Man City Pep thing.  Morgan took up the position you would expect an over/under lapping left back to be and both our full backs were tucked in to effectively be extra center mids.  Interesting.  I didn't notice that in pre-season.  Anyone else notice it?  I suspect a view from the East or West stands would give the best idea.
    I can’t say I noticed it at all pre season, but instantly picked up on it against Accrington - especially with Clare’s positioning. 

We were definitely not doing it in the pre-season games I watched.

Swindon played with "orthodox" over lapping fullbacks.  

I find this side of the game fascinating.  I love watching coaches and their teams evolve over time, unfortunately most of them get more pragmatic as they get older.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:

Yep booing, loads of ‘lump it forward’ in the first half 
    I genuinely don’t recall hearing any booing at Charlton for about the first 15 years of me attending matches. Now you just have to wait 15 minutes of a new season. 
  • Options
    Second game of the season. New manager. New players. Completely new ethos and style of play. Playing a strong side who have come down from the championship who have clearly have a larger budget than us.

And some fans are booing at the first opportunity they get. 

I personally just don’t understand why you would have that reaction.

I don’t want the valley to turn into a place where if our players have an off day, or are outplayed for a half (which will happen) they get boo’d. 

You mean very similar to Wigan last season then??  Apart from the just come down from the Championship bit.
  • Options

We were playing West Brom? Boing! Boing! :smile:

• Options
    I agree with the poster above. It would be really helpful if when posting on the match/post match thread people indicated where they are/were sitting. I viewed the match from the upper west on the centre line. Based on some of the comments on individual performances on this thread and the match thread I find it difficult to believe I was watching the same match.
    How many pints the poster had before kickoff might be a more relevant piece of information. 
    Well I'd had a couple and was sitting on the sofa, no not that one, at home watching Jeff and the boys on Sky for what it's worth. I'm not local and haven't travelled regularly to attend games since I don't know when.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:

I find this side of the game fascinating.  I love watching coaches and their teams evolve over time, unfortunately most of them get more pragmatic as they get older.
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this but City used the "tuck into midfield" full backs a lot today.
  • Options

It had potential to get really toxic, we gathered a bit of momentum towards the end of the half and managed to hold on to 0-0.

Second half better atmosphere and when the goal went in the north lower was bouncing almost like an away game.  
  • Options
    I wasn't one of them, but to be fair to the booers, that first half was garbage, and the last memory would have been O'Connell's awful header back to Wollacott which led to Collins hitting the post. The problem wasn't defenders passing it around, and not "lumping it" but rather how the team as a whole barely did any defending at all, and hardly strung any passes together either.
  • Options
    I don't boo anyway, but at half time I felt relief more than annoyance, holding onto hope that it would get better.
    I don't know what anyone might've been booing at, the game wasn't lost at half time was it?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but City used the "tuck into midfield" full backs a lot today.
    Indeed. I wonder why it was not a feature of pre season for us?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:

Give the game away?  City haven't done it, regularly, for a couple of seasons now.

If you can pick, basically, the same 11 and play 2 or 3 different ways you have a massive advantage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:

Give the game away?  City haven't done it, regularly, for a couple of seasons now.

If you can pick, basically, the same 11 and play 2 or 3 different ways you have a massive advantage.
    Garner mentioned in his interview that he changed our shape on the ball second half to help us play through their lines easier, so might have been ad hoc. Nice to know we have such a tactically astute manager.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:

Garner mentioned in his interview that he changed our shape on the ball second half to help us play through their lines easier, so might have been ad hoc. Nice to know we have such a tactically astute manager.
    Browny was banging on about it in the first half but sometimes it's so hard to tell because you naturally follow the ball.  Unless your watching from high up near the half way line.
  • Options
    I boo all the time.  I booed the kettle the other day, till i noticed the plug was not in properly!
    Haven’t you heard the expression a booed pot never boils. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:

Browny was banging on about it in the first half but sometimes it's so hard to tell because you naturally follow the ball.  Unless your watching from high up near the half way line.
    From listening to tonight's Charlton Live it sounds like Morgan was moved deeper alongside Dobson. I didn't notice at the time, and despite that he still got forward to help create the goal and have another shot from range.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    mendonca said:
    Most of AB's posts are really sounding like 'TS this' and 'TS that'. 
    Fact is he anticipated a crowd of 14k and it was 17k so a bit wide of the mark again 
    I dont believe you were there yesterday. If there was 17k in three then my grandmothers an alien. Just take at look at the highlights video which shows heaps of empty seats in the West & the quadrants. 14k is going some in itself. 
    i was there yesterday and i didn't say there was 17k there - the question the other day was what will the gate be and the gate was 17k which includes, as it always does, absent season ticket holders - airman thought 15-16k would be a stretch when i forecasted it and said 14k tops or similar, but it exceeded it - doesn't matter really but he's always putting a downer on the gates and ticket prices and anything else the club does but he got that wrong didn't he? - very simple really - many more bought on the day than he thought would.  
    Had the gate been announced on the same basis the club adopted last season it would have been 14,000. I’m not sure how I am supposed to anticipate the club switching between one method and another.
    sometimes u get it wrong - i've been wrong before, it happens 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:

I think Clare did in at least one half of a preseason game
  • Options
    i didn't hear any booing at half time - don't get me wrong, the first half was really bad but the crowd was good and the atmosphere was very good all second half 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ross1 said:

From listening to tonight's Charlton Live it sounds like Morgan was moved deeper alongside Dobson. I didn't notice at the time, and despite that he still got forward to help create the goal and have another shot from range.
    It really is fascinating.   We got to the universally used 442 from 235 in at least 3, but probably more different ways. 

Even today the starting point is 442, then how do you get the 3rd, or even 4th, center mid into the team. 

Most teams still defend with two banks of 4, or 1 with 5.  They attack with 2 or 3 wide on the same side and 3 in the middle.  Or try to. 
  • Options
    The game yesterday really reminded me of the 1-0 against Watford when Big Bob was manager.