Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 1st October 2022 - 3pm KO

edited October 2022 in General Charlton
Ben Garner made a few changes to the starting lineup and to formation, opting to start with three at the back, and no Clare and no CBT in the squad. We needed to come out aggressive in front of the home support. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. A lackluster start found Charlton quickly down 0-1 to a poor and out-of-form Oxford United. The first half was very poor, devoid of any quality.

The second half was better, with Charlton switching to four at the back and Leaburn coming on to partner Stockley. We fashioned more chances in the second period and found the equaliser on about 55 mins, with a classic Stockley header. The captain’s goal spurred us on, but we weren’t able to find the winner. 

Both sides tired significantly as the game drew on, with both having opportunities that could have seen a winner. No one will be happy with a point. We salvaged a bit of dignity with a better second half performance, but it’s not good enough.

Charlton 1 Oxford 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Options
    Two average to poor teams. That first half was proper Adkinsball. Must be the worst atmosphere I’ve ever experienced for a league game. Garner was getting absolute dogs abuse at half time where I was sitting so glad we at least picked up a bit in the second half and killed the toxicity. 

Fair play to Fraser who had some shocking moments in the first half and was getting booed but then ended up being our best player second half. 

It’s getting boring feeling like our season is over by the end of September though.
  • Options
    Mid table (at best) beckons...disappointing.
  • Options
    8 points off play offs 
    3 points off relegation spots
    Good second half, but how many misses?!
  • Options
    Came away pleased to get a point. That in itself speaks volumes. A point against a struggling Oxford and it feels like we achieved something. After that appalling first half though, even the mediocrity of the second felt like something. The big question is, what on earth was Lavelle doing just watching that loose ball that led to the first goal?
  • Options
    Stockley suggesting some players don't have the appetite to get in the box... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stockley comes over as such a nice bloke and speaks so well.

Future career in politics beckons!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    8 points off play offs 
    3 points off relegation spots
    Good second half, but how many misses?!
    I think good is stretching it a bit, but I suppose compared to the first half…
  • Options
    Missed today but Egbo sounded decent and more minutes in the legs is good for him.  Similar with Sess albeit a week or so behind.  I hope Terrell is decent and comes in soon, our CB pairing needs pace.  It would solve a lot of problems.

Assist by Kirk, goal for Stockley, a point and we remain difficult to beat at home.

Garnerball is tippy tappy, slow build up like many Swindon fans said it was and results in plenty of draws.

It seemed clear all summer our transfers in were of "ok squad quality" when we needed to be adding the clear improvements /sparkle across striker, centre back and central midfield.  We need to do that in Jan but it doesn't seem TS has the money.   Sending his son back to Zynex and leaving Gallen and co to do the work would be a step in the right direction, did the Swindon DoF get a job elsewhere in the end?
  • Options
    edited October 2022

• Options
    Bored of everyone moaning. We are 3 points off of relegation places. What do people expect after 11 games (1/4 of season). People have too high expectations.
    With guitar boy in charge I have zero expectations. 
    As for people moaning well we are 14th in league one  what do you expect. 
  • Options
    What was that first half. 4 4 2 so obviously the way. At least Manager admitted  it. 
    Good fun but not going up and not worth £35! 
  • Options
    More frustration, was so obvious we should have switched the formation in the first half. I would have taken Lavelle off after 20 minutes, I thought he was that poor and switched it then, but appreciate it is so easy to say from the stands. Relieved Stockley has got an open play goal and 4-4-2 in future, come to rain or shine, so much threatening going forward!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2nd half much better, both sides could have won in injury time. Draw a fair result 
  • Options
    4-4-2 it is.
    Stop fucking about and get on with it.
    Away from Sandgaard's under funding his manager, it's clear that if we provide crosses into the box then Stockley will score and provide for others but the system being played makes him seem like a bystander. It actually shows how much football nous the Sandgaards actually have when deciding to retain Stockley in the belief he will fit the system, he clearly does not, Adkins dropped him for the same reason. Garner is fast approaching a decision on dropping the high press game simply because it removes his only forward from a game plan but if he sticks with this system in the hope it will all come good or Sandgaard will provide funds to correct the problem, he's going to be disappointed. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    How is Joseph throwing Chin over in the box not a pen?
    Wasn’t a pen. Looked like a blatant handball and penalty from our first shot of the game though  but admittedly I didn’t have the best angle of that one. 
  • Options
    crap team, crap manager, crap owner👍
  • Options
    Seems like there was a second half reaction. Hopefully 442 will now come to be the starting formation