Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 1st October 2022 - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    TEL said:
    Keep seeing people say Oxford were shite but they were better than us overall. Confident players running with the ball with no little skill. 

Our game plan is tedious and predictable and some needs to remind Stewie Garner that the aim is to get the ball in the net at the opposite end.

How often do we get a free kick in the opponents half and we pass sideways and backwards until our keeper is forced to punt the ball upfield to where the free kick started as our centre back aren't comfortable in the system. Free kick in the opponents half? Put the ball in towards the box.... that's were the fricking goal is. 

Not a fan of tippy tappy football especially when played by inadequate players.
    Garner said after the game how frustrated he was that we weren't passing forward, taking some risks to break the lines. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The first half was absolutely awful. We looked like a team of strangers. I don't know what Garner was thinking sending the team out set up like that. Marginal improvement in the second half, but still not great. We deserved something from the game and got it, but not a great game to watch!

I know garner was sold short in the transfer window, but I am starting to think that he was very over-hyped. I hadn't heard of him before and I am not at all impressed so far. Tippy-tappy football is all well and good, but if you can only do it in two thirds of the pitch (not the front third where it matters) then it is pointless. I know it is still early days, butI think Garner is out of his depth and hasn't got a clue how to get the best out of the squad of players he has, as evidenced by the formation in the first half.

Any ambitions for promotion seem well and truly gone already, barring a miracle. Where this leaves TS, I don't know, but worrying times.
    It doesn't matter what way you set them up, the formation or the tactics employed.

We need 6 defensive players to keep a clean sheet and 6 attacking players to score two goals.

I wouldn't even say the players, individually, are that bad.  There is just no way of getting 10 on the pitch, in any formation, or system, that will score more than they concede, regularly.
    If we can field 12 players in total I think we might be in with a chance ! 
    Only if 5 of them are oppo players.

• Options
    Seeing most games now are producing the same frustration just in guise of different team selection and which half is crap and which was a slight improvement on crap.

Here is a positive.

Teams that are newly promoted from Div 2 look to hold their own and stay out of the relegation zone, they would be positive with that.  Considering most of our new signings have come up from Div 2, 'we are holding our own' and not in the bottom 4.    
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Garner is partly culpable here and remains on the register of those not seeing at least another striker as being absolutely THE critical signing - he signed lots of other players but didn’t sign THE player most needed - we had many on here who saw a centre half it left back as more critical but for a professional to not push that signing through forcefully is beyond belief 
    You actually think Garner is the single person in charge of recruitment? 

He didn't make those decisions. He wanted a striker and wasn't given one. 
    How do you know that ? He got a lot of other players that he clearly wanted - many that had connections to him 
    He was well placed to know how cheap their wages were, which will have been a big positive for Sandgaard. Strikers tend to be pricier.
    And why are they pricier? Because they score goals, which win you games which get you promoted.

As I've been saying for years & years. 
  • Options
    Phil said:
    NabySarr said:
    Phil said:
    Let’s face facts. A better team would have beaten us yesterday. There aren’t too many worse than or as bad as us. Unless Sandgaard sells up or sees sense, invests in the team and does a complete U-turn and listens to experienced football people, we’re going to be relegated.
    I don’t think there’s much danger of that this season. But if Sandgaard carries on with his aim of trying to break even at this level then we will probably end up getting relegated eventually 
    Obviously I hope you’re right NS but our current form has me very worried.
    You have every right to be worried, look at the two areas where we are short of numbers and quality, forwards and centre backs, recipe for disaster. 
  • Options
    We need to sort the defensive issues out and the results will come. Our fanbase seems obsessed with Sandgaard at the moment but we need to be looking at Garner and the coaching team. I'm satisfied with our attacking play tbh, can obviously still improve but we are scoring in every game and our defence is costing us and should and can be better. 1 clean sheet this season. The top 6 teams all have 4-6, which is why they win games and we keep drawing them.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Garner is partly culpable here and remains on the register of those not seeing at least another striker as being absolutely THE critical signing - he signed lots of other players but didn’t sign THE player most needed - we had many on here who saw a centre half it left back as more critical but for a professional to not push that signing through forcefully is beyond belief 

How do you know that ? He got a lot of other players that he clearly wanted - many that had connections to him 
    He was well placed to know how cheap their wages were, which will have been a big positive for Sandgaard. Strikers tend to be pricier.
    And why are they pricier? Because they score goals, which win you games which get you promoted.

You sure have.  B)
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Phil said:
    NabySarr said:
    Phil said:
    Let’s face facts. A better team would have beaten us yesterday. There aren’t too many worse than or as bad as us. Unless Sandgaard sells up or sees sense, invests in the team and does a complete U-turn and listens to experienced football people, we’re going to be relegated.
    I don’t think there’s much danger of that this season. But if Sandgaard carries on with his aim of trying to break even at this level then we will probably end up getting relegated eventually 
    You have every right to be worried, look at the two areas where we are short of numbers and quality, forwards and centre backs, recipe for disaster. 
    We are not far off from getting it like we did at the start of the season .. football is about fine lines between success and failure .. we played 11 games lost only 3 .. the three we lost, everyone said we out played Sheff Wed and deserved to win , Bolton hand ball goal and a bad miss from Raki key moments , again at Barnsley their own fans booed them off because we were the better side first half again a 40 yarder could have gone anywhere and more individual errors through missed chances from
    Raki , Edgo and CBT at ht we should have been 2/3 ahead .. FG at home individual error from the keeper or it would have been 1-0 win .. fast forward till yesterday and Dobson miss again denying us 2-1 win …….. said at the start we are not far away from turning it around and getting the wins to climb back 
    upto the top 6 .. this league so close like every other  season 2/3 wins and your back up there , look at Oxford few years back bottom 6 in late Oct finished one place above us in 6th ..

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Phil said:
    NabySarr said:
    Phil said:
    We are not far off from getting it like we did at the start of the season .. football is about fine lines between success and failure .. we played 11 games lost only 3 .. the three we lost, everyone said we out played Sheff Wed and deserved to win , Bolton hand ball goal and a bad miss from Raki key moments , again at Barnsley their own fans booed them off because we were the better side first half again a 40 yarder could have gone anywhere and more individual errors through missed chances from
    Raki , Edgo and CBT at ht we should have been 2/3 ahead .. FG at home individual error from the keeper or it would have been 1-0 win .. fast forward till yesterday and Dobson miss again denying us 2-1 win …….. said at the start we are not far away from turning it around and getting the wins to climb back 
    upto the top 6 .. this league so close like every other  season 2/3 wins and your back up there , look at Oxford few years back bottom 6 in late Oct finished one place above us in 6th ..

Deluded as usual. We are nearer relegation fodder imo. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    TEL said:
    Keep seeing people say Oxford were shite but they were better than us overall. Confident players running with the ball with no little skill. 

Our game plan is tedious and predictable and some needs to remind Stewie Garner that the aim is to get the ball in the net at the opposite end.

How often do we get a free kick in the opponents half and we pass sideways and backwards until our keeper is forced to punt the ball upfield to where the free kick started as our centre back aren't comfortable in the system. Free kick in the opponents half? Put the ball in towards the box.... that's were the fricking goal is. 

Garner said after the game how frustrated he was that we weren't passing forward, taking some risks to break the lines. 
    Time he kicked some arses then before he gets his kicked out of the Valley. 

I really don't want to hear how well training went... it's a results business. He needs to get them to listen and not keep
    messing around desperately playing player roulette. 
  • Options
    Closest effort first half was my dad’s attempt at the crossbar challenge!
    Indeed. Great effort by Bill and lovely to see grandson Jack enjoying being on the pitch with you both. 

• Options
    Bailey said:
    Phil said:
    NabySarr said:
    Phil said:

i disagree - i think we do have some talent in this squad but playing stockley up top on his own is killing us - actually think if we play 2 up top we will start to get results  
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Bailey said:
    Phil said:
    NabySarr said:
    Phil said:

i disagree - i think we do have some talent in this squad but playing stockley up top on his own is killing us - actually think if we play 2 up top we will start to get results  
    But that's not what's making us concede in every game. I think we're equally weak in defense and up top at the moment.

It's a shame that Stockley is SO limited that we have to change the entire system just to suit him, and lose a midfield/defensive player to give him support. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't rule us out of giving relegation a good go. Bound to have a injury crisis at some point 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

It’s pretty much a given. 
  • Options
    Squad just not good enough at this level to make any sort of promotion challenge. Just hoping they are good enough to avoid the bottom 4.

But it's looking shaky, 3 points above relegation and 4 teams below have a game in hand.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    went over with 2 work colleagues who are NOT Charlton fans (Prem league armchair fans as a rule), their perspective - first half was appalling - second half we should have won it. The ref was very inconsistent (not a shock to me but it was to them) 

The half time food did NOT go over well - (again, I warned them lol) and pre-poured slightly warm john smiths ended up in the bin haha

One thing that really struck me, when we played a poor pass, or a bad passage of play, they were baffled that we really got on the players cases - I remember saying after a bad few minutes saying to them ,"oh we have a song for that" and right on que...

Either way, we didn't get beat, and something they both said is they enjoyed the atmosphere and both want to come back, we are already planning the next one - must be sadists or not quite right in the head lol
    Masochists. 
    Unless they're deriving their enjoyment from watching @Manic_mania suffer, in which case sadists is right.
  • Options
    Scott Fraser is so slow he'd have trouble turning Harry Maguire.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    TEL said:

We could all see that's a problem but at least he gets paid to watch it.  He should try paying an entrance fee and then see how 'frustrated' he gets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:
    We need to sort the defensive issues out and the results will come. Our fanbase seems obsessed with Sandgaard at the moment but we need to be looking at Garner and the coaching team. I'm satisfied with our attacking play tbh, can obviously still improve but we are scoring in every game and our defence is costing us and should and can be better. 1 clean sheet this season. The top 6 teams all have 4-6, which is why they win games and we keep drawing them.
    Man City let in 3 yesterday. Pep must quickly sort out their defence or they will get relegated. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Bailey said:
    Phil said:
    NabySarr said:
    Phil said:

But that's not what's making us concede in every game. I think we're equally weak in defense and up top at the moment.

It's a shame that Stockley is SO limited that we have to change the entire system just to suit him, and lose a midfield/defensive player to give him support. 
    Defence ain’t perfect but its a team set up to attack - full backs push up etc - it’s not outscoring the opposition that is the bigger problem 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Kirk's cross for our goal showed very good awareness and execution (left foot). 

We're just focusing on the negatives now as are pissed off with this league, recruitment, politics and crap beer.
  • Options
    BertieB said:
    clive said:
    WTF. Where is the Dobson chance at the end?!
    I've been looking and can't find it anywhere
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    mendonca said:

We're just focusing on the negatives now as are pissed off with this league, recruitment, politics and crap beer.
    Kirk is the only player we've got who shows any composure to pick out a final ball or a cross under pressure. I hope he plays more. Particularly if we start Leaburn and Stockley up front, his crossing could be a weapon.
    It is a shame that he needs to be given the ball in a dangerous area to actually do something with it. He won't do what JRS did to set up the chance in the first place: take on his man with energy and directness. I'm so torn on Kirk tbh. With two big lads on, probably better if he plays. Having our starting LB fit again will help
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    mendonca said:

Kirk is the only player we've got who shows any composure to pick out a final ball or a cross under pressure. I hope he plays more. Particularly if we start Leaburn and Stockley up front, his crossing could be a weapon.
    I agree but he is very lightweight (useless) defensively so we need to watch the balance.

Neither, Kirk, CBT, Riki-Saki, Payne or Fraser offer much in the way of tackling or defending and Morgan isn't much better. For the second half on Saturday we were totally dependent on Dobson to protect our dodgy central defence in a very stretched 4-2-4 set up. 

How about putting Clare, Dobson and Fraser in central midfield with Kirk (or Riki-Saki) out wide and Leaburn and Stockley up front or use Riki=Saki as an alternative central striker? 

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Chunes said:
    mendonca said:

I agree but he is very lightweight (useless) defensively so we need to watch the balance.

Neither, Kirk, CBT, Riki-Saki, Payne or Fraser offer much in the way of tackling or defending and Morgan isn't much better. For the second half on Saturday we were totally dependent on Dobson to protect our dodgy central defence in a very stretched 4-2-4 set up. 

How about putting Clare, Dobson and Fraser in central midfield with Kirk (or Riki-Saki) out wide and Leaburn and Stockley up front or use Riki=Saki as an alternative central striker? 
    So are our centre-backs :s

I like the idea of using a CM as a winger in a 442, as Curbs used to do with Graham Stuart.