Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 1st October 2022 - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    mendonca said:
    Kirk's cross for our goal showed very good awareness and execution (left foot). 

We're just focusing on the negatives now as are pissed off with this league, recruitment, politics and crap beer.
    Kirk is the only player we've got who shows any composure to pick out a final ball or a cross under pressure. I hope he plays more. Particularly if we start Leaburn and Stockley up front, his crossing could be a weapon.
    I agree but he is very lightweight (useless) defensively so we need to watch the balance.

Neither, Kirk, CBT, Riki-Saki, Payne or Fraser offer much in the way of tackling or defending and Morgan isn't much better. For the second half on Saturday we were totally dependent on Dobson to protect our dodgy central defence in a very stretched 4-2-4 set up. 

How about putting Clare, Dobson and Fraser in central midfield with Kirk (or Riki-Saki) out wide and Leaburn and Stockley up front or use Riki=Saki as an alternative central striker? 
    So are our centre-backs :s

I like the idea of using a CM as a winger in a 442, as Curbs used to do with Graham Stuart. 
    Good point.

I think Clare could be very effective as a right sided midfielder ahead of Egbo,  with Kirk on the left and Fraser and Dobson in the middle.

That would look pretty strong compared to having two Jonny Stepovers out wide producing little final product and Stockley isolated and ineffective in the middle. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Leuth said:
    TEL said:
    Keep seeing people say Oxford were shite but they were better than us overall. Confident players running with the ball with no little skill. 

Our game plan is tedious and predictable and some needs to remind Stewie Garner that the aim is to get the ball in the net at the opposite end.

How often do we get a free kick in the opponents half and we pass sideways and backwards until our keeper is forced to punt the ball upfield to where the free kick started as our centre back aren't comfortable in the system. Free kick in the opponents half? Put the ball in towards the box.... that's were the fricking goal is. 

Not a fan of tippy tappy football especially when played by inadequate players.
    Garner said after the game how frustrated he was that we weren't passing forward, taking some risks to break the lines. 
    Yet Forster-Caskey is sat on his arse in the stands. He is the player that always looks for those line breaking forward passes. Maybe he wouldn’t start ahead of Dobson and Fraser but to not even have him on the bench is infuriating when there have been multiple games where we’ve been crying out for exactly what he offers  
    People keep saying this and, personally, agree...BUT there are rumours that if he plays in a league game then it triggers a significant pay increase.  It seems to be why he does play in the cup games.  Because the owner is trying to minimalise costs it is affecting team selection.  Maybe they should either renegotiate the contract or just pay up...
  • Options
    The idea that in such a formation with Clare as wide CM (which makes a certain sense with an attacking full-back) we'd play Kirk ahead of JRS is absolute insanity. Little end product? We wouldn't have scored our goal without JRS' play. We had two chances to score before Kirk got that final ball over, entirely because of JRS
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leuth said:
    The idea that in such a formation with Clare as wide CM (which makes a certain sense with an attacking full-back) we'd play Kirk ahead of JRS is absolute insanity. Little end product? We wouldn't have scored our goal without JRS' play. We had two chances to score before Kirk got that final ball over, entirely because of JRS
    You're not torn on Kirk, you hate him. Be honest!
  • Options
    Personally I would just go with

Wollacott
    Egbo Inniss O'Connell Sess
    Clare Dobson Fraser
    raksak Kirk
    Stockers

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    He has quality on the ball. If we could somehow guarantee getting him the ball on the edge of the box more than two or three times a game I'd like him a lot more. But he won't do it himself
  • Options
    This is what I would go with, Stockley in a 4-3-3 doesn’t work so either swap him with Leaburn and keep 4-3-3 or switch to 4-4-2 

Wollacott 

Egbo Inniss EOC Sessegnon

JRS Dobson Fraser Kirk 

Leaburn Stockley 

Its very attacking but that’s what Garner-ball is supposed to be about. And I can’t take watching another 1-1 draw 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    This is what I would go with, Stockley in a 4-3-3 doesn’t work so either swap him with Leaburn and keep 4-3-3 or switch to 4-4-2 

Wollacott 

JRS Dobson Fraser Kirk 

Leaburn Stockley 

Its very attacking but that’s what Garner-ball is supposed to be about. And I can’t take watching another 1-1 draw 

That was the set up for the second half on Saturday. We were wide open and easy to play through. And it also only produced one goal.  Our second best player of the season to date is Clare and he could bolster the powder puff midfield. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wallocott: beaten by a long straight one but definitely saved us a point late on, also caught a cross!
    Lavelle: rivalling O'Connell for lamest donkey on the beach
    Inniss: erratic as ever
    O'Connell:  see Lavelle
    Egbo:  M.O.M. energetic, capable, committed.  Tired understandably and stuck at it after he'd been clogged - several in this squad would have bailed out
    Dobson: over run first half cos his colleagues were useless, a couple of shaky passes were forgivable, hit the target with his chance but that's not is metier is it?
    Fraser: lightweight and wheezy as ever, giving him defensive responsibility is perverse, a few tidy passes and 2nd half was his best yet - that bar is quite low
    Sessegnon: acquits himself OK out of position on the left, untroubled by Oxford's RHS, one of few who can be satisfied with their afternoon, fitness will come
    R-S; first half shape is hopeless for him, quick and tricksy but easily snuffed out by his total absence of a right foot, Oxford's LB happily showed him the line thru-out the 2nd half knowing that JRS poses no threat outside - in 442 the wider players need to be on their natural sides
    Stockley: industrious as ever and lo and behold in a simple system that the players understand he's also dangerous
    Payne: rarely will so much energy be spent being of use only to the opposition, trying too hard? Maybe. Scuppered his chances of starting again any time soon.
    Kirk: knowing he only had 50 minutes max to exert himself and having seen how poor Oxford were all over the pitch he spurned the chance to star and really impact the game - bog standard from the shirker in chief
    Leaburn: excellent as usual
    Chin: excellent
    Referee: dreadful match changing performance - iditotically booked George Dobson for getting tripped up and falling on the ball then ignored one of the clearest handball penalty decisions he'll get in his hopefully brief career as a mockery of a referee
  • Options
    How did we finish second half in terms of positions and formation - that looked balanced.
  • Options
    win at Lincoln or .. Garner OUT 
    Garner is not the problem, Pep could not get our bang average players to mount a promotion push. 

Look at the top third of the table, all those teams have one or two players capable of winning or turning a game for you. We have nothing. 
    the squad is not that bad .. and it's simple, even if the squad is as bad as you think (it really isn't) it is still the manager's job to get them playing in some kind of workable pattern and to motivate them .. Garner is doing neither ..  he has brought a few of his own players in, but he seems to spend too much time moaning about the owner and not enough doing the job for which he is handsomely paid, it's time he was S A C K E D 
    Complete Bollocks 
  • Options
    Sack Garner? Shell out loads of money for his payoff, abandon the project a few months in, start from scratch, deal with the fact we've bought players specifically for him? Absolutely nuts. Oh I suppose Wilder's free now, that's your thinking. One of those managers is on the up, one is on the way down
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Wollacott 

JRS Dobson Fraser Kirk 

Leaburn Stockley 

That was the set up for the second half on Saturday. We were wide open and easy to play through. And it also only produced one goal.  Our second best player of the season to date is Clare and he could bolster the powder puff midfield. 
    We were by far the better team in the second half. As we were when we switched to the same system at Fleetwood. The midfield would have been my major concern but Dobson (as expected) and Fraser (unexpected) were getting stuck in on Saturday. Dobson and Clare will get you 0 goals and 0 assists from central midfield so I don’t think playing both of them works as we saw under Adkins last season 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    He has quality on the ball. If we could somehow guarantee getting him the ball on the edge of the box more than two or three times a game I'd like him a lot more. But he won't do it himself
    Even without taking on his man, a few weeks back he had some of the best chance creation stats in the EFL while playing in an underperforming team. 

He's not that type of winger and I don't see why he has to be? Taking your man on is somewhat of a lottery anyway. 

And you're still not being honest Leuth

By the way I thought DJ looked decent in his striker cameo
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Wallocott: beaten by a long straight one but definitely saved us a point late on, also caught a cross!
    Lavelle: rivalling O'Connell for lamest donkey on the beach
    Inniss: erratic as ever
    O'Connell:  see Lavelle
    Egbo:  M.O.M. energetic, capable, committed.  Tired understandably and stuck at it after he'd been clogged - several in this squad would have bailed out
    Dobson: over run first half cos his colleagues were useless, a couple of shaky passes were forgivable, hit the target with his chance but that's not is metier is it?
    Fraser: lightweight and wheezy as ever, giving him defensive responsibility is perverse, a few tidy passes and 2nd half was his best yet - that bar is quite low
    Sessegnon: acquits himself OK out of position on the left, untroubled by Oxford's RHS, one of few who can be satisfied with their afternoon, fitness will come
    R-S; first half shape is hopeless for him, quick and tricksy but easily snuffed out by his total absence of a right foot, Oxford's LB happily showed him the line thru-out the 2nd half knowing that JRS poses no threat outside - in 442 the wider players need to be on their natural sides
    Stockley: industrious as ever and lo and behold in a simple system that the players understand he's also dangerous
    Payne: rarely will so much energy be spent being of use only to the opposition, trying too hard? Maybe. Scuppered his chances of starting again any time soon.
    Kirk: knowing he only had 50 minutes max to exert himself and having seen how poor Oxford were all over the pitch he spurned the chance to star and really impact the game - bog standard from the shirker in chief
    Leaburn: excellent as usual
    Chin: excellent
    Referee: dreadful match changing performance - iditotically booked George Dobson for getting tripped up and falling on the ball then ignored one of the clearest handball penalty decisions he'll get in his hopefully brief career as a mockery of a referee
    That is Madeeley who used to referee in the Premier league before he got suspended?
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Garner is not the problem, Pep could not get our bang average players to mount a promotion push. 

Look at the top third of the table, all those teams have one or two players capable of winning or turning a game for you. We have nothing. 
    the squad is not that bad .. and it's simple, even if the squad is as bad as you think (it really isn't) it is still the manager's job to get them playing in some kind of workable pattern and to motivate them .. Garner is doing neither ..  he has brought a few of his own players in, but he seems to spend too much time moaning about the owner and not enough doing the job for which he is handsomely paid, it's time he was S A C K E D 
    Complete Bollocks 
    very articulate hahahahha .. the comment of a dopy neanderthal
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Sack Garner? Shell out loads of money for his payoff, abandon the project a few months in, start from scratch, deal with the fact we've bought players specifically for him? Absolutely nuts. Oh I suppose Wilder's free now, that's your thinking. One of those managers is on the up, one is on the way down
    you're even more boring than usual and are repeating yourself .. read my comment on Wilder on the managerial Sacking etc thread
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Bailey said:

Complete Bollocks 
    OK let's go to your comment about the squad, last season we had three forwards, not counting sick note, your fitter than he will ever be, how many goal scoring forwards do we have now ? Last season we had a left back, do we have one now ? Centre backs, this may seem outlandish but Pearce is still a better centre back than Lavelle and he's hung his boots up. The only department that has not suffered is the midfield, in fact the club tried to offload two of them in DJ and Forster Caskey. The squad is poor because the key positions are worse than under Jackson and that is down to two men, both named Sandgaard. You will probably get your wish though, Sandgaard will sack Garner rather than blame himself, as for the 'dopy Neanderthal' comment, I am hurt that you didn't put in capitals to make your point as you did with SACKED but I figure you were probably saving your capitals for the next time your hear 'YMCA' you thick fucker. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:

Complete Bollocks 
    OK let's go to your comment about the squad, last season we had three forwards, not counting fit note, your fitter than he will ever be, how many goal scoring forwards do we have now ? Last season we had a left back, do we have one now ? Centre backs, this may seem outlandish but Pearce is still a better centre back than Lavelle and he's hung his boots up. The only department that has not suffered is the midfield, in fact the club tried to offload two of them in DJ and Forster Caskey. The squad is poor because the key positions are worse than under Jackson and that is down to two men, both named Sandgaard. You will probably get your wish though, Sandgaard will sack Garner rather than blame himself, as for the 'dopy Neanderthal' comment, I am hurt that you didn't put in capitals to make your point as you did with SACKED but I figure you were probably saving your capitals for the next time your hear 'YMCA' you thick fucker. 
    laughable  .. YMCA ? your hear ? .. whatever

All you have just written has been aired on here many, many times, we all know the squad is not up to standard. My point, and I have opined this many times. is that Garner, a supposed professional football manager is not getting the best from the players he does have, he has no more to offer, he's a busted flush and for that he should be SACKED before we are in even deeper trouble.
     Sandy should also SACK his son from the job he has. But blood is blood and if daddy has promised his lad that he will play a part in running a famous football club, well that is for daddy to decide. For my part Sandy and Sandy can both do one a s a p, but then who is going to pay the bills and appoint a new manager ?  And. a last word to you, I am MISTER Thick Fucker if you please
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:

Complete Bollocks 
    OK let's go to your comment about the squad, last season we had three forwards, not counting fit note, your fitter than he will ever be, how many goal scoring forwards do we have now ? Last season we had a left back, do we have one now ? Centre backs, this may seem outlandish but Pearce is still a better centre back than Lavelle and he's hung his boots up. The only department that has not suffered is the midfield, in fact the club tried to offload two of them in DJ and Forster Caskey. The squad is poor because the key positions are worse than under Jackson and that is down to two men, both named Sandgaard. You will probably get your wish though, Sandgaard will sack Garner rather than blame himself, as for the 'dopy Neanderthal' comment, I am hurt that you didn't put in capitals to make your point as you did with SACKED but I figure you were probably saving your capitals for the next time your hear 'YMCA' you thick fucker. 
    laughable  .. YMCA ? your hear ? .. whatever

All you have just written has been aired on here many, many times, we all know the squad is not up to standard. My point, and I have opined this many times. is that Garner, a supposed professional football manager is not getting the best from the players he does have, he has no more to offer, he's a busted flush and for that he should be SACKED before we are in even deeper trouble.
     Sandy should also SACK his son from the job he has. But blood is blood and if daddy has promised his lad that he will play a part in running a famous football club, well that is for daddy to decide. For my part Sandy and Sandy can both do one a s a p, but then who is going to pay the bills and appoint a new manager ?  And. a last word to you, I am MISTER Thick Fucker if you please
    Sorry Mister TF, piss taking apart Lincs, we've been through two managers and I think we could dispense with a third, they can't all be shockers, plus you have to look at Jacksons and Adkins record when they first took over, it was pretty dam good on both counts and then the Sandgaard’s demanded a style of play but  short changed both Adkins and now Garner with player recruitment, whereas Jackson refused to play that system and got sacked for that stance. 
  • Options
    WTF was all that about? 
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Gutted it’s so fucking painful and dull .
    The journey is as wank as ever,  taking an hour and a half there and an hour and 20 back .
    The football is shit 
    the new burger mob by bartrams is worse than last seasons 
    whats the fucking point 

roll on the cricket season and I don’t have to watch this shit 
    You do realise that you're under no obligation to watch this 'shit'.
    If it's so 'fucking painful and dull', the 'journey is as wank as ever', 'The football is shit', and 'what's the fucking point', then don't go.
    The club and players won't care, and we'd be spared your constant self-pitying, boring posts.
    Lol, you must be new here!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
               Wollacott 
    Clare Inniss Thomas Clayden
                 Dobson
    Egbo  Fraser Sessegnon 
                JRS CBT

Yes, bonkers, but what the hell. Had enough of the current line up. 
    Enough of the anger!

Anyway, posted this line up as a bit of a comment on how fed up I am with the current one. Just got a bit of a laugh. 
    But it’s grown on me. 
    Eight players there who can defend. Five who can attack. What could go wrong!
    If you’re worried about Thomas, replace him with Stockley. Job done. 
  • Options
    Redskin said:
    Gutted it’s so fucking painful and dull .
    The journey is as wank as ever,  taking an hour and a half there and an hour and 20 back .
    The football is shit 
    the new burger mob by bartrams is worse than last seasons 
    whats the fucking point 

roll on the cricket season and I don’t have to watch this shit 
    You do realise that you're under no obligation to watch this 'shit'.
    If it's so 'fucking painful and dull', the 'journey is as wank as ever', 'The football is shit', and 'what's the fucking point', then don't go.
    The club and players won't care, and we'd be spared your constant self-pitying, boring posts.
    Apologies , it’s just a cathartic way of letting off steam as we continue to live through the worst footballing period in our history.
    I feel mean now. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Leuth said:
    We have absolutely no chance with Wilder. That's the only absurd thing about that thinking.

I would personally carry Garner to wherever he wants to go to get Wilder in.