Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 1st October 2022 - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Garner is partly culpable here and remains on the register of those not seeing at least another striker as being absolutely THE critical signing - he signed lots of other players but didn’t sign THE player most needed - we had many on here who saw a centre half it left back as more critical but for a professional to not push that signing through forcefully is beyond belief 
    You actually think Garner is the single person in charge of recruitment? 

He didn't make those decisions. He wanted a striker and wasn't given one. 
    How do you know that ? He got a lot of other players that he clearly wanted - many that had connections to him 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Think anyone slagging off Garner for this season has picked up all the wrong signals from the past 5 or so years. 

When every single manager we try can't get a squad to play above mid-tier League One football. The problem is elsewhere. 
    Understand what your saying but that first half set up was so disjointed and open defensively I was starting to wonder how a team could be so badly coached.

Second half was better and we did look defensively at least less open. Lavelle was hopeless first half and Payne is not a wide man, did they even practice that formation as it looked like it was slung together 10 minutes before kick off.

Please Garner 4 fucking 4 fucking 2 and give us a chance of winning.
    I thought it would be weird if going to a more “open formation” in 4-4-2 would’ve actually made us more solid so I had to check the stats.

Oxford had more shots in the second half than they did in the first. They didn’t have a single shot from inside the penalty area in the first half, they had four of them in the second half.

Oxford enjoyed more attacking opportunities against us after the formation change. It only felt better to us fans because in the first half we offered zero ourselves.

When in fact the first half was a 45 minutes of effectively complete nothing from both sides, aside from one long range strike.
    442 made us more threatening, but also more open. Oxford are :-

a) not that good this season
    b) got knackered in the second half

So didn't exploit the extra space very well.

Yes we were better in the second half, but I would really worry about playing with just 2 in midfield against one of the top 6 teams. 
    Agreed. Oxford have similar issues to us in terms of scoring goals. 4-4-2 is not the answer anymore. I think we will have to compromise but the solution is probably an unbalanced system with one wing back and one wide man so Leaburn can support Stockley.

Which is what JJ preferred and stated in interviews concerning having a defender as a wing back and a converted wide man who will take on more defensive responsibility.
    You can only get away with that for a short time before the diagonal balls or beyond your winger/defender will catch you out or accurate long passes in behind in the wide areas.
    3-5-2 would flounder on not having a Left footed player with some pace who can do BOTH the defending and attacking with the option of going past the Opposition RB on the outside as well as cutting inside. CBT can do the attacking part but his final pass/shot is erratic and dangerous for fans behind the goals !

The 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 leave us with an isolated central striker most weeks as we have  midfields and wide/forwards/wingers who snatch and lack composure most matches.

Other than Cafc fans of schadenfreude, whom but LOL seekers are enjoying this rocky road to Colorado?

I'm a Charlton fan, get me out of here.

• Options
    The first half was absolutely awful. We looked like a team of strangers. I don't know what Garner was thinking sending the team out set up like that. Marginal improvement in the second half, but still not great. We deserved something from the game and got it, but not a great game to watch!

I know garner was sold short in the transfer window, but I am starting to think that he was very over-hyped. I hadn't heard of him before and I am not at all impressed so far. Tippy-tappy football is all well and good, but if you can only do it in two thirds of the pitch (not the front third where it matters) then it is pointless. I know it is still early days, butI think Garner is out of his depth and hasn't got a clue how to get the best out of the squad of players he has, as evidenced by the formation in the first half.

Any ambitions for promotion seem well and truly gone already, barring a miracle. Where this leaves TS, I don't know, but worrying times.
  • Options
    The first half was absolutely awful. We looked like a team of strangers. I don't know what Garner was thinking sending the team out set up like that. Marginal improvement in the second half, but still not great. We deserved something from the game and got it, but not a great game to watch!

I know garner was sold short in the transfer window, but I am starting to think that he was very over-hyped. I hadn't heard of him before and I am not at all impressed so far. Tippy-tappy football is all well and good, but if you can only do it in two thirds of the pitch (not the front third where it matters) then it is pointless. I know it is still early days, butI think Garner is out of his depth and hasn't got a clue how to get the best out of the squad of players he has, as evidenced by the formation in the first half.

Any ambitions for promotion seem well and truly gone already, barring a miracle. Where this leaves TS, I don't know, but worrying times.
    It doesn't matter what way you set them up, the formation or the tactics employed.

We need 6 defensive players to keep a clean sheet and 6 attacking players to score two goals.

I wouldn't even say the players, individually, are that bad.  There is just no way of getting 10 on the pitch, in any formation, or system, that will score more than they concede, regularly.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Smithy said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    How is Joseph throwing Chin over in the box not a pen?
    Wasn’t a pen. Looked like a blatant handball and penalty from our first shot of the game though  but admittedly I didn’t have the best angle of that one. 
    From where I was sitting it looked like a blatant handball as well. I’d like to see a replay of that. 
    Yep. It was. Hands in unnatural position. It happened goal side as he turned his back on the player shooting. Ref was unsighted on edge of box. VAR would have given it and also a red for their Browne for going in studs up and landing on Egbo's ankle....

The worst thing about it was it wasn't a slight deflection when he did it. It completely changed the direction of the ball. 
  • Options
    Div 2 here we come 
    You'd get decent odds and worth putting a bullseye upwards on it.
    I checked on oddschecker and it is 12-1 I am thinking of putting £50 on it or a £100

• Options
    went over with 2 work colleagues who are NOT Charlton fans (Prem league armchair fans as a rule), their perspective - first half was appalling - second half we should have won it. The ref was very inconsistent (not a shock to me but it was to them) 

The half time food did NOT go over well - (again, I warned them lol) and pre-poured slightly warm john smiths ended up in the bin haha

One thing that really struck me, when we played a poor pass, or a bad passage of play, they were baffled that we really got on the players cases - I remember saying after a bad few minutes saying to them ,"oh we have a song for that" and right on que...

Either way, we didn't get beat, and something they both said is they enjoyed the atmosphere and both want to come back, we are already planning the next one - must be sadists or not quite right in the head lol
    Masochists. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:
    I'm on 999 likes! Please help me over the line 
    Well that was Sweet from the man at the back, who said everyone attack, and it turned into a @BartramBlitz Thank you👍. 398 short of that milestone for lol's though😢
  • Options
    win at Lincoln or .. Garner OUT 
    Garner is not the problem, Pep could not get our bang average players to mount a promotion push. 

Look at the top third of the table, all those teams have one or two players capable of winning or turning a game for you. We have nothing. 
    I'd like to think that under Pep we would be more than 3 points above the relegation places though. Or have won more than 2 games. Or not be behind Accrington, Cambridge and Exeter.

Of course most of the blame lies elsewhere, but Garner isn't above criticism either, when we've basically had one really good performance in 11 games.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

It doesn't matter what way you set them up, the formation or the tactics employed.

We need 6 defensive players to keep a clean sheet and 6 attacking players to score two goals.

I wouldn't even say the players, individually, are that bad.  There is just no way of getting 10 on the pitch, in any formation, or system, that will score more than they concede, regularly.
    If we can field 12 players in total I think we might be in with a chance ! 
  • Options
    1st half turgid, 2nd half an improvement, story of our season so far. The game was made worse by a group of Oxford fans sitting in the North Lower, jumping up and shouting every time they went close to scoring. 

I’m not one to grass on away fans, I’ve had some mates with me before to watch their team but they knew to shut up if their team scored, this lot were looking for an argument. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    swordfish said:
    I'm on 999 likes! Please help me over the line 
    Well that was Sweet from the man at the back, who said everyone attack, and it turned into a @BartramBlitz Thank you👍. 398 short of that milestone for lol's though😢
    So tempting to spend this afternoon going through your posting history, and removing a few likes I gave you  :D
    I'm just gutted there's no milestone T-shirt. Not even a snazzy snood!  :D 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BertieB said:
    clive said:
    WTF. Where is the Dobson chance at the end?!
    Missed it.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Kips said:
    LouisMend said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/the-slp-verdict-listen-here-to-our-take-on-charltons-1-1-draw-with-oxford-united/

Myself and Rich Cawley tried something different today - we did a twitter space chatting about the game and season so far. I've uploaded it to the website so you can listen back here.
    Thanks to you both for giving up part of your Saturday evening to do this.  It was an interesting listen, in particular to hear from Mr. Cawley as a neutral, yet one who understands the situation. Please do more of these if you can.

Something that he said provoked an interesting point in my mind...If you take that game in isolation yesterday was it really that bad? Or is it the general apathy around the club that makes each latest disappointing result equate to the worst performance ever seen right now?

As I reflect I'm not sure yesterday would even register amongst the worst 30 performances I've seen from CAFC since 1982. Forgettable yes, but there were some positives and, dare I suggest, signs of green-shoots in the second half.

As difficult as it is, maybe we just need to be more patient with this new crop...
    I think that statistically, these are going to be the worst performances in the club’s history if we stay in this league this year.  

I, like many others have tried to be patient, and given I’m 40, I’ve actually been quite lucky in that our best years coincided with me being in my late teens and early twenties, so perhaps I’ve been a bit spoilt in that respect and accept I was very lucky to see the Curbishley days.  

The thing is, I don’t need Premier League football to make me happy.  I loved the two promotion seasons under Powell and Bowyer, and a lot of the years under Curbs prior to the Prem were okay.  It was because it felt like we were building something.  With Powell and Bowyer we were building a team you could associate with, decent players and a togetherness (particularly under Bowyer given the situation with RD).  With Curbs, he was rebuilding a club that had lost their home, fought tooth and nail to get back there and we saw the Valley, along with the team, gradually being rebuilt.  With the current owner, team and situation, I see none of that, and ultimately, I’m just angry.  Couldn’t even be bothered to cheer y’day when Stockley scored, because the performances this season have been dire, I don’t really like any of the players (again), and we’re pretty much where we were this time last season, just 3pts better off.

Perhaps the players deserve more time, more patience.  I don’t mind affording that to BG as I think he’s a decent bloke and has a plan, it’s just that (and I’m sure I’m not alone), the patience well has been run dry over the last 14 years.  

It’s cumulative.  I saw a bit of hope and optimism in a lot of fans on here pre-season which is natural.  I couldn’t quite bring myself to join in.  It’s not helped cushion the blow of yet another pitiful season ahead.  

If you can see green shoots then good luck.  I see mediocrity, lack of direction and no way out 
    Terrific post Cabbles, I really am completely out of love with the club I have supported since 1957, through all the ups and downs. I fail to see what Sandegaard’s motives are.
  • Options
    BertieB said:
    clive said:
    WTF. Where is the Dobson chance at the end?!
    Missed it.
    so did he
  • Options
    One thing worrying me is that Garner has said he will persist with 3 CBs when it was clear the change suited the players better and it improved. Got to play to our strengths with the players we have and I honestly feel if he persisted with 442/424 then we see an improvement. 

I can see why Stockely gets grief also but the players behind him aren't doing there bit when he's up top on his own so we clearly struggle..if he doesn't have that support then what can he do when he's already limited? Yesterday proved he needs that support. 
  • Options
    Love seeing Kirk’s passion when Stockley nods home. He’s a good lad.
    The guy sat behind me took every opportunity to have a go at him. So bloody strange. 
  • Options
    Let’s face facts. A better team would have beaten us yesterday. There aren’t too many worse than or as bad as us. Unless Sandgaard sells up or sees sense, invests in the team and does a complete U-turn and listens to experienced football people, we’re going to be relegated.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Garner is partly culpable here and remains on the register of those not seeing at least another striker as being absolutely THE critical signing - he signed lots of other players but didn’t sign THE player most needed - we had many on here who saw a centre half it left back as more critical but for a professional to not push that signing through forcefully is beyond belief 
    You actually think Garner is the single person in charge of recruitment? 

He didn't make those decisions. He wanted a striker and wasn't given one. 
    How do you know that ? He got a lot of other players that he clearly wanted - many that had connections to him 
    He was well placed to know how cheap their wages were, which will have been a big positive for Sandgaard. Strikers tend to be pricier.
    Agreed but even so, I didn’t hear any noises from him stating how desperate we were for a striker 
  • Options
    Phil said:
    Let’s face facts. A better team would have beaten us yesterday. There aren’t too many worse than or as bad as us. Unless Sandgaard sells up or sees sense, invests in the team and does a complete U-turn and listens to experienced football people, we’re going to be relegated.
    I don’t think there’s much danger of that this season. But if Sandgaard carries on with his aim of trying to break even at this level then we will probably end up getting relegated eventually 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Phil said:
    I don’t think there’s much danger of that this season. But if Sandgaard carries on with his aim of trying to break even at this level then we will probably end up getting relegated eventually 
    Obviously I hope you’re right NS but our current form has me very worried.