Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 1st October 2022 - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    That first half was totally unacceptable. Second half was better, but still not good enough. 

Scraping 1-1 draws in an empty Valley against mid table league one opposition is going to become the norm for us in the coming years unfortunately. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Image result for scott evil austin powers
    ???
    Garner and a young @Henry Irving ??
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    One of the most telling comments:

Didn't go....... an Didn't really care its the norm...

Been going 60 years...

We are sliding further into the world of nothing. I remember league games at Aldershot, Halifax, Southport, York, etc..... We could be going there again..... 
  • Options
    Shite first half, less shite second half. 

For me I feel we're switching between 433 and 343 to wedge in certain players but with neither formation suiting. 

Stockley has to play as our most senior striker and Captain. But lone forward doesn't suit in the 433. But. JRS as one of the more dynamic players able to make something happen has to play, and he's a winger.

343 gets Stockley some closer support with the wide players tucking in alongside and behind with width provided by the wing backs, but then JRS isn't as effective, nor do we have a particularly strong partner to go next to Dobson in a 2 which gets exposed a quite a bit with a lot of players quite far forward.....I've not been one for calling for good ol' 442 big man little man stuff, but, I do believe that if you don't have and can't get the players to play your formation/s then you have to play one that suits what you got. If 442 works then, well, play it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I couldn’t find the updated squad thread, but we’re stuck with a lot of this lot for a long time.  Not good for the future either.  We’re not going to be any higher than mid table with this squad at the end of this season, so it’s going to mean another overhaul needed if we want to progress.  There’s too many we’re going to need to get rid of, again, some of which aren’t like Watson and Gunter that we can just let go 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
     Consistency has dogged Albie Morgan for his whole career.
    I'm not sure there's anyone that can get this fella to perform at a high level consistently. Many have tried. It just don't happen.
    I live in hope though.
  • Options
    Closest effort first half was my dad’s attempt at the crossbar challenge!
    It was a pretty good attempt, a lot of people in the CE thought he was going to hit it.
    Was good to get on there when you’re on it it really is a carpet like.  
    Nice try….a lovely touch was the pic with your son and grandson….the memory will last a long time
  • Options
    Disappointing. Seasons been over for a good few weeks now. Another wasted year and every year we’re sliding into genuine third tier mediocrity. Miles and miles off. 
  • Options
    Worse than I thought seeing that for the first time this season. A bottom half 3rd tier football club we have become. 
  • Options
    Been drinking since about two.
    I think we are shit. 

I shall wake up sober in the morning and still think we are shit.

Bottom line is that we are shit.
    Two, you lightweight, drink earlier and man up ffs!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    cabbles said:
    sammy391 said:
    If egbo is going to play RB, I’d like to see Clare with Dobson and Fraser in the midfield. Clare would be, imo a kishishev type player! 

CBT and JRS on the wings with stockley up front is the only way
    This is precisely what hasn’t been working.  Stockley at the 11th attempt got his first goal in open play, CBT offers very little final product at JRS looks like a 14 year old that’s been invited to play in a dad’s Sunday league game.  

The quality just isn’t there, regardless of what permutation of team or formation 
    It has been working in terms of creating chances, the problem is playing on his own doesn't suit Stockley and both CBT and JRS lack that bit of composure needed to convert the chances. So If you have a front three that can't score you are over reliant on your midfield and the only two I think you could get goals out of is Fraser and JFC. Maybe Payne but a big doubt about that. Playing Morgan and Dobson together and you are fcuked. You have to play Dobson as he is probably our best player so Morgan should be nowhere near the first team.

The defence isn't going to chip in with many by the looks of it so if we concede one we probably lose or draw as I predicted pre match. Garner has to find a way to play two up front. I know that isn't so easy as probably our next best threatening players are probably wingers. Is it all over.? No, we could keep within reach and address the issue in January and then go on a run. But I'm not sure Sandgaard understands the issues and he has the money, or does he? Oh, it probably is all over.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    How is Joseph throwing Chin over in the box not a pen?
    Wasn’t a pen. Looked like a blatant handball and penalty from our first shot of the game though  but admittedly I didn’t have the best angle of that one. 
    From where I was sitting it looked like a blatant handball as well. I’d like to see a replay of that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well all you true and suffering Charlton Fans 
    if our egotistical owner after todays shite performance cannot see we need a proper striker and a stronger defence, then it time to Fuck off, as this team will never leave this division ever !!!!
    the Manager no doubt at this rate must be regretting his involvement with our owner 👎👎
  • Options
    Been drinking since about two.
    I think we are shit. 

I shall wake up sober in the morning and still think we are shit.

Bottom line is that we are shit.
    Have another whisky rambo.
  • Options
    Worse than I thought seeing that for the first time this season. A bottom half 3rd tier football club we have become. 
    And all very unnecessary.

A shame we have had w****** owning us for too long.
  • Options
    Closest effort first half was my dad’s attempt at the crossbar challenge!
    I’ll be honest I thought “fuck off let your son take it” (was it you? ) and it was a great attempt and he got a round of applause from me , deffo the highlight of the day , especially with some of the real shit attempts we’ve seen in the last year .
    thanks dad 👍