Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 1st October 2022 - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Closest effort first half was my dad’s attempt at the crossbar challenge!
    He did really well mate. Very close
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Appalling performance.  The second half only looked good because we so crap in the first half.

Garner is lost already, changing the set up, completely dropping Morgan, CBT and Clare.  It highlights that he doesn’t really have much faith in the players at his disposal and ultimately, it doesn’t really matter who starts.  

I can’t see this helping us kick on.  Too many mediocre players.  BG adamant that we must play out from the back, but it’s painful watching.

An owner without a clue

Operation Breakeven continues 

agree with this, think garner is absolutely panicking. went on all pre-season and well into the season about the system and the identity, his philosophy blah blah. then in the last three games we've cycled through about 9 formations. first half today the players looked like they had completely no idea what they were meant to be doing, just dreadful. when he switched it to play to our best players' strengths - i.e. putting JRS wide and getting crosses into the box for stockley - we looked a lot better. but 90% of the people on this forum could have told him that weeks ago...

it's absolutely 100% true that garner wasn't supported by the owner in the summer, but notwithstanding that i've not really seen anything to convince me that he has anything about him as a managerr. unlike some i wasn't massively impressed by him finishing 6th in league two with swindon (but having a lot of possession!), and i'm not impressed by 2 wins out of 11 in league 1, even with the squad we have...
    If we don't win two games in the next ten Sandgaard will sack Garner.  That aside, I have nothing against him and think he's been dealt a bad hand.
    As was Adkins and Jackson, absolutely no chance that Thomas and Scott admit they got it wrong. 

• Options
    Image result for scott evil austin powers
  • Options
    3-5-2 / 5-2-3 works if your left sided players HAVE  A  LEFT  FOOT. Cant blame Sessignon for not going past his man if all he can do is to then cut back inside & cross with his right. This team will be going nowhere until we get some players with a left foot. 

So that's the first home game out of 5 this month that we haven't won. Exeter will be a stiffer test, Pompey even harder & we don't usually beat MK Dons.....so we might have to rely on our away form if we are going to climb away from trouble 😂😂😂.

Both teams had chances to win it at the death. How their player put it over the bar from 6 yards out I'll never know and as for Dobson.....just our luck it had to be a defensive midfielder popping up to finish off a one on one 🙄. 
  • Options
    Dobson will be having nightmares tonight ..football such a fine line at times and we deserved the win second half ..
    First half 343 was brave , not helped by Oxford getting a lead to
    hold onto then basically putting all 11 back in their own half looking fir the odd breakaway .. we had loads of procession but really failed to create only two dangerous crosses from Egbo was all we could muster but saying that Woolacot was spectator as well at the other end .

All credit to Garner for changing it at half time to 442 and what a diff .. Kirk made a massive diff and Stockley finally found space .. there was a hand ball that the ref missed ( I did warn you all about him what a terrible game he had ) the goal was down to calmness especially Kirk would have been to easy to rush and panick ..
    After that we created and looked really good , Oxford changed their shape with numerous subs and it had an affect on us a little .. but then the chance of all chances Dobson had to score … 
    I thought anyone other than Dobson when the ball was fed through.
  • Options
    Smithy said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    How is Joseph throwing Chin over in the box not a pen?
    Wasn’t a pen. Looked like a blatant handball and penalty from our first shot of the game though but admittedly I didn’t have the best angle of that one.

We didn't deserve it but thought it was definitely a penalty for handball. We had a shot on target 2nd half and one of their players took a dive mid air and palmed the ball away, with both hands in a diving motion. Then the ref and lino between them somehow gave it as a free kick to them?  How was it off side when their player palmed it away. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Just listened to BG post match interview, have to say I thought it was a really honest summary. Said we were awful 1st half, very angry at HT, had to make changes, still not happy at end of game. Very annoyed at tackle that could've broken Egbo's leg? I only listened to the game, so not sure what he was talking about?
    As for the game, nothing to say about first half other than utter shit....second half better but hardly awe inspiring! Glad I stayed at home!

It was a late follow through stamp on his ankle / boot RM 
    Was it their number 11 that left a stamp on him?  Surprised he actually gave free kick but was then telling our player to hurry up and get up FFS/
  • Options
    Imo

Thought Chin did really well when he came on.  He’s got pace and athleticism, well worth giving him a go if Sess is injured. 

We need to give JRS space to play. 1st half we appeared to crowd the right hand side. If we get him the ball in space he can cause problems. 

We need to play with pace if we are going to knock it around at the back , lots of movement and quick passes. 

• Options
    Rudders22 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Just listened to BG post match interview, have to say I thought it was a really honest summary. Said we were awful 1st half, very angry at HT, had to make changes, still not happy at end of game. Very annoyed at tackle that could've broken Egbo's leg? I only listened to the game, so not sure what he was talking about?
    As for the game, nothing to say about first half other than utter shit....second half better but hardly awe inspiring! Glad I stayed at home!

It was a late follow through stamp on his ankle / boot RM 
    Was it their number 11 that left a stamp on him?  Surprised he actually gave free kick but was then telling our player to hurry up and get up FFS/
    Yes mate Marcus Browne mind you Innis cleaned him out earlier and got carded so maybe retribution on anyone in a red shirt.
  • Options
    Our results are crap.
    We are now nine points behind target.
    I could be forgiven for concluding from that that our ownership is crap, our manager is crap, and our team is crap.
    The only thing we have to do now, straight away, is go on a winning run of about nine games!

Anybody remember those join the dots games we had as kids, join the dots in number order and it reveals a pirate or something? Our goal was like that, join the dots to reveal a goal...that's what is was like watching the ball go from point one to about point ten before it was a goal.
  • Options
    A few comments
    Playing Sess at LB in a 5 in stupid as he hasn't got a left foot to cross it. Probably playing him at LB at all is dumb
    Fraser grew into the game and second half was quite key despite being outnumbered whereas forst half he was poor.
    JRS is a total coward, bottled every 50/50 or even ones in his favour. Total luxury player. Not what we need atm
    Kirk - someone who can cross a ball!

• Options
    A really good post match discussion in the studio, going on to 5:50! Mortimer salivating over playing with Paul McGrath.

There's a fundamental problem, in that we don't (as we all know) have a striker who can play as a lone striker, which you need in a 433. Thus you have the problem of how to play Stockley and Leaburn together.

Play 442, then you need 2 Dobson types in midfield as most oppositions will play 3 there, and are better than Oxford. While both times we've played 3 at the back under Garner, we've been awful. AND we have a team full of wingers, not designed to play 352...
    Could play Dobson and JFC in a two, but then Sandgaard will have to pay JFC's  wages.
    So no then.
  • Options
    14th in the 3rd division.  Football has come home.
  • Options
    Things can only get better 🙏!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First half today was up there with the worst I have seen from a Charlton team,improved later but still piss poor,all capped off by A2 being blocked on the way home,happy days.
  • Options
    Saulc23 said:
    I know it’s now a long time since we were “up there” but my god how far we have fallen.
    That thought struck me today as I watched that dismal, dire, hopeless, useless first half and realised that about 10 miles down the road Palace were leading Chelsea for much of that
    time.
  • Options
    What we have to do is ask what the point of passing the ball around the side is if we just do it until a player bottles it and plays a negative or shit ball? You need ability and positivity through the side for that to work.
    Passing the ball back was at times stupid. Number of occasions the back 3 just got away with giving the ball because of a stupid pass to them rather than passing it up field. It looked like they had forgotten which side they were on.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Pound Shop Pep currently looking more a Regurgitated Robinson. 

This squad is not without its merits but confidence is low and the style we are trying to play needs tempo. Confident players are much more able to play that way. We need to grind out some results. Keep clean sheets win 1-0, and that can be the foundation for trying to reintroduce the zippy pass and move attacking play that, to be fair, we did see some promising signs of earlier in the season.

Right now though, we need results and only results to avoid getting stuck in the quagmire of a relegation scrap because we will not pass and move our way out of one of those.

Maybe don’t abandon the principles altogether, but certainly think about shelving them for a few weeks. 
  • Options
    Pound Shop Pep currently looking more a Regurgitated Robinson. 

This squad is not without its merits but confidence is low and the style we are trying to plan needs tempo. Confident players are much more able to play that way. We need to grind out some results. Keep clean sheets win 1-0, and that can be the foundation for trying to reintroduce the zippy pass and move attacking play that, to be fair, we did see some promising signs of earlier in the season.

right now though, we need results and only results to avoid getting stuck in the quagmire of a relegation scrap because we will not pass and move our way out of one of those.

Maybe don’t abandon the principles altogether, but certainly think about shelving them for a few weeks. 
    He followed all that advice to the letter in the second half tbf! 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Ronnie, what did our creative midfielder Fraser do exactly to justify a match score of 9.5 on the ratings? Don't like to dig out people's scores, but genuinely perplexed... 
    Just another Ronnie ”look at me everyone” wind-up……blokes a complete nob.
  • Options
    Same shit different day. 
    Every week good and bad periods. Even when we looked good we never really out played Oxford . We are just a poor side
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    You know how every season I decide there's a player who's overhated, and defend him to the death?

I think this season, that player is going to be Garner
    But also Inniss