Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 1st October 2022 - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    How was today’s crossbar challenge attempt?
    Close but not close enough!
    Didn’t go over on his arse at least………gutted 😄
  • Options
    Need to set up like this next game:

Wollacott
    Egbo                   O'Connell    Inniss            Sessengnon or Clayden (half each)
                                       Dobson
                      JFC                               Fraser
    JRS                               Stockley            Leaburn
  • Options
    Closest effort first half was my dad’s attempt at the crossbar challenge!
    It was a pretty good attempt, a lot of people in the CE thought he was going to hit it.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    What did Scott say

It was to do with as Sess and Egbo have come back, Blackett-Taylor's out injured now.

Guess it could have been assumptive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I won't argue but none of our forwrads can play as a one so you have to address that as a priority. 
  • Options
    Closest effort first half was my dad’s attempt at the crossbar challenge!
    It was a pretty good attempt, a lot of people in the CE thought he was going to hit it.
    Was good to get on there when you’re on it it really is a carpet like.  
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Frustrating afternoon. 

Lacklustre start I think we can put down to @Henry Irving boring them half to death yesterday:-)  But once they shook that off things improved.

Can’t work things out. There’s no real players out there I dislike, I don’t think there is an effort problem, but something just doesn’t seem or feel right. We look and are, bang average. 
    I think there’s an energy problem, rather than an effort problem. One of the CTV guys said ‘they weren't running around enough’. Think I agree with that. They may not be fit enough. 
    But we do have a lot of mediocre players, so even fired up they not going to pull up any trees. 
    Egbo, Sessegnon, Fraser & Leaburn were ok today. That’s about it. 
    I’m normally pretty positive, but I've lost all hope of a playoff place already. 
    I’ve preferred watching the U21s this season if I’m honest. 
    I’m hoping they can try some different options on Tuesday. Maybe a start for the new CB Terrell? 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Appalling performance.  The second half only looked good because we so crap in the first half.

Garner is lost already, changing the set up, completely dropping Morgan, CBT and Clare.  It highlights that he doesn’t really have much faith in the players at his disposal and ultimately, it doesn’t really matter who starts.  

I can’t see this helping us kick on.  Too many mediocre players.  BG adamant that we must play out from the back, but it’s painful watching.

An owner without a clue

Operation Breakeven continues 

agree with this, think garner is absolutely panicking. went on all pre-season and well into the season about the system and the identity, his philosophy blah blah. then in the last three games we've cycled through about 9 formations. first half today the players looked like they had completely no idea what they were meant to be doing, just dreadful. when he switched it to play to our best players' strengths - i.e. putting JRS wide and getting crosses into the box for stockley - we looked a lot better. but 90% of the people on this forum could have told him that weeks ago...

it's absolutely 100% true that garner wasn't supported by the owner in the summer, but notwithstanding that i've not really seen anything to convince me that he has anything about him as a managerr. unlike some i wasn't massively impressed by him finishing 6th in league two with swindon (but having a lot of possession!), and i'm not impressed by 2 wins out of 11 in league 1, even with the squad we have...
    If we don't win two games in the next ten Sandgaard will sack Garner.  That aside, I have nothing against him and think he's been dealt a bad hand.
  • Options
    Positives:
    - Resilience: came back from 1 down
    - Reasonable attendance considering rail strike and recent form
    - Got a point
    - Some brilliant play at times for almost tens of seconds
    - I don't think we had any injuries
    - 35 matches to go
    - Unbeaten at home
    Negatives:
    (see thread)
  • Options
    A really good post match discussion in the studio, going on to 5:50! Mortimer salivating over playing with Paul McGrath.

There's a fundamental problem, in that we don't (as we all know) have a striker who can play as a lone striker, which you need in a 433. Thus you have the problem of how to play Stockley and Leaburn together.

Play 442, then you need 2 Dobson types in midfield as most oppositions will play 3 there, and are better than Oxford. While both times we've played 3 at the back under Garner, we've been awful. AND we have a team full of wingers, not designed to play 352...
  • Options
    I know it’s now a long time since we were “up there” but my god how far we have fallen.
  • Options
    Morts not a fan of possession football for the sake of it, he's not worried about losing control of midfield if we can be more dangerous in the opposition half
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just not good enough.  

Even our better passages of play seem to end in panic stations once we lose the ball.  We are far too easy to play through.  As for the high press?  A figment of Sandgaard's imagination.  
  • Options
    I won't argue but none of our forwrads can play as a one so you have to address that as a priority. 
    That’s the problem. Our Forwrads are shite 
  • Options
    Season over and its the 1st of October. Depressing
  • Options
    When Garner came in & told us about his possession game the majority seemed really pleased. I thought it sounds like Robinson's sidewards, backwards, let the oppo get 11 men behind the ball shite.

I kept quiet & my fingers crossed.

But my worse fears are a reality. 

If we go back to playing 'normal' football I think we'll improve, the players will regain some confidence and we'll pick up a bit. 
    It works for Man City. That how the little bit of Sandgaards brain that knows about football sees it. You look at what you have in terms of players, look at the budget and work accordingly from there. It is what should have happened after last season.
  • Options
    Just home,that 1st half was utter dross,from both sides. 2nd half was an improvement,which wasnt difficult,but still pretty turgid. I was just plain bored tbh. Lovely bit of play for our goal and Dobbo shouldve won it for us late on when 1v1. Its becoming a chore going to the valley these days and im sad about that.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Jonniesta said:
    Ronnie, what did our creative midfielder Fraser do exactly to justify a match score of 9.5 on the ratings? Don't like to dig out people's scores, but genuinely perplexed... 
    It’s simple mate and par for the course, attention seeking, trolling 🥱.