Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 1st October 2022 - 3pm KO

Comments

• Options
    Div 2 here we come 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Think anyone slagging off Garner for this season has picked up all the wrong signals from the past 5 or so years. 

When every single manager we try can't get a squad to play above mid-tier League One football. The problem is elsewhere. 
    Understand what your saying but that first half set up was so disjointed and open defensively I was starting to wonder how a team could be so badly coached.

Second half was better and we did look defensively at least less open. Lavelle was hopeless first half and Payne is not a wide man, did they even practice that formation as it looked like it was slung together 10 minutes before kick off.

Please Garner 4 fucking 4 fucking 2 and give us a chance of winning.
    I thought it would be weird if going to a more “open formation” in 4-4-2 would’ve actually made us more solid so I had to check the stats.

Oxford had more shots in the second half than they did in the first. They didn’t have a single shot from inside the penalty area in the first half, they had four of them in the second half.

Oxford enjoyed more attacking opportunities against us after the formation change. It only felt better to us fans because in the first half we offered zero ourselves.

When in fact the first half was a 45 minutes of effectively complete nothing from both sides, aside from one long range strike.
  • Options
    3-5-2 / 5-2-3 works if your left sided players HAVE  A  LEFT  FOOT. Cant blame Sessignon for not going past his man if all he can do is to then cut back inside & cross with his right. This team will be going nowhere until we get some players with a left foot. 

I remember watching Sessegnon in pre-season and thinking he was a talented footballer...who preferred his right foot and liked to cut inside. I thought it was telling that his best attacking moment in the game was when he ran infield towards the goal and just failed to convert the cross that came in from the left; that's his natural game, whereas a left wing back needs to be the one on the touchline putting in the cross.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Garner in reference to the boooooo’s   “Absolutely justified. Fortunately we did react” 

it’s becoming more and more obvious every week that we need to boooo more to fire these bellends up .
    they’re utter shit and it’s down to us to abuse them and get them going 

booooing works 
    You may not like it but it’s the way forward 

Couldn’t agree more mate they got the same treatment last week, anyway it’s good practice for the upcoming pantomime season 😉.
  • Options
    Think anyone slagging off Garner for this season has picked up all the wrong signals from the past 5 or so years. 

When every single manager we try can't get a squad to play above mid-tier League One football. The problem is elsewhere. 
    Understand what your saying but that first half set up was so disjointed and open defensively I was starting to wonder how a team could be so badly coached.

Second half was better and we did look defensively at least less open. Lavelle was hopeless first half and Payne is not a wide man, did they even practice that formation as it looked like it was slung together 10 minutes before kick off.

I thought it would be weird if going to a more “open formation” in 4-4-2 would’ve actually made us more solid so I had to check the stats.

Oxford had more shots in the second half than they did in the first. They didn’t have a single shot from inside the penalty area in the first half, they had four of them in the second half.

Oxford enjoyed more attacking opportunities against us after the formation change. It only felt better to us fans because in the first half we offered zero ourselves.

When in fact the first half was a 45 minutes of effectively complete nothing from both sides, aside from one long range strike.
    442 made us more threatening, but also more open. Oxford are :-

a) not that good this season
    b) got knackered in the second half

So didn't exploit the extra space very well.

Yes we were better in the second half, but I would really worry about playing with just 2 in midfield against one of the top 6 teams. 
  • Options
    Gutted it’s so fucking painful and dull .
    The journey is as wank as ever,  taking an hour and a half there and an hour and 20 back .
    The football is shit 
    the new burger mob by bartrams is worse than last seasons 
    whats the fucking point 

roll on the cricket season and I don’t have to watch this shit 
  • Options
    Let’s hope BG has realised that 4-4-2 with decent wingers at home is the minimum standard. 
    We don’t want to watch that shite passing it around in our half. 
    All we need now is for him to realise that we should leave Rak in the centre circle when the oppo has a corner or free kick. 
    Then they have to leave 2 back to cover him, and he may still get a breakaway. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

442 made us more threatening, but also more open. Oxford are :-

a) not that good this season
    b) got knackered in the second half

So didn't exploit the extra space very well.

Yes we were better in the second half, but I would really worry about playing with just 2 in midfield against one of the top 6 teams. 
    It's a really good set of stats. The Barnsley game showed that for the first 45 minutes we were clearly the better side and missed some very good chances, not only to equalise but to edge in front. The fact that none of those chances fell to Stockley is the telling factor. We only have one striker and that is Stockley, if we continue to play this system then it's clear that Stockley has no part to play but as a lot of people have pointed out, it's all very well playing this high press, three up front game but if you don't have the players up front who make that system pay dividends then there is absolutely no point in playing it. 
  • Options
    The journey is as wank as ever,  taking an hour and a half there and an hour and 20 back .
    The football is shit 
    whats the fucking point 

And NO CHIPS on offer in Crossbars ! 

What do they really think kids want with their coke/lemonade before ko ? 

Hospitality is grossly overpriced & definitely not on the average fan's pre match agenda yet simple, popular fare at a reasonable price is cut from the Fans' Bar.

WTF !!
    Had them today in the east and TRUST ME them kids were saved the experience…💩
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Are players these days just robots and play to a pattern and do not think on there own. With the Oxford goalkepper at times standing between the halfway line and his penalty area, why was no-one trying a long range lob even wallacott could have had a long range shot. I think Fraser did try it once in the 2nd half but the ball drifted wide with the goalkeeper having no chance if it had been on target.  
  • Options
    Div 2 here we come 
    You'd get decent odds and worth putting a bullseye upwards on it.
  • Options
    Div 2 here we come 
    No chance of that. We're far more likely to be in Division 4 next season. 
  • Options
    went over with 2 work colleagues who are NOT Charlton fans (Prem league armchair fans as a rule), their perspective - first half was appalling - second half we should have won it. The ref was very inconsistent (not a shock to me but it was to them) 

The half time food did NOT go over well - (again, I warned them lol) and pre-poured slightly warm john smiths ended up in the bin haha

One thing that really struck me, when we played a poor pass, or a bad passage of play, they were baffled that we really got on the players cases - I remember saying after a bad few minutes saying to them ,"oh we have a song for that" and right on que...

Either way, we didn't get beat, and something they both said is they enjoyed the atmosphere and both want to come back, we are already planning the next one - must be sadists or not quite right in the head lol
    Premier League armchair fans view is not worth a w***.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Are players these days just robots and play to a pattern and do not think on there own. With the Oxford goalkepper at times standing between the halfway line and his penalty area, why was no-one trying a long range lob even wallacott could have had a long range shot. I think Fraser did try it once in the 2nd half but the ball drifted wide with the goalkeeper having no chance if it had been on target.  
    It was Egbo who did that, a nice run from RB and a speculative shot, which got praise from Terry and Brownie for at least trying something
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Garner in reference to the boooooo’s   “Absolutely justified. Fortunately we did react” 

it’s becoming more and more obvious every week that we need to boooo more to fire these bellends up .
    they’re utter shit and it’s down to us to abuse them and get them going 

booooing works 
    You may not like it but it’s the way forward 

The OPTA stats (or whatever is used at all level) need to record this. If a team's fans boo their fans at the end of the first half, do they improve in the second?

In our case, it regularly is yes, as so often we follow a poor half (and booing) with a better second half, and conversely when we play well in the first half (and the fans don't boo), we then play poorly in the second.

Thus against Exeter, when our players walk off at half time, 3-0 up having played football the Brazil 1970 team can only dream of, I'll still be booing and calling them a disgrace. And you can thank me afterwards when we then play well for the second half as well!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Second half was better but still nowhere near good enough but compared to the first it was a massive improvement. But let’s not fool ourselves that we did enough to beat a poor Oxford side. We still only carved out three, maybe four chances, whilst at the other end they carved out more than we did and managed to miss the best chance of the game. Not many emerged with any credit but I liked the look of Egbo. If Stockley put as much effort into playing football as he does throwing his arms around and moaning at everyone then he might do better. Someone above commented they paid £37 on the day, that is ludicrous for League One football, if you can call it that, yet Thomas thinks we should be selling out the ground. All we are doing at the moment is stinking it out.
  • Options
    Div 2 here we come 
    We should be so lucky. Division 4 more likely.
  • Options
    The football is shit 
    whats the fucking point 

No. But you will have to watch cricket.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Yeah , he was a proper keeper sweeper , well off his line and an option/outlet to the team to play the ball too 
  • Options
    Any particular reason Browne give it to the covered end after scoring 
  • Options
    cabster said:

Not sure that CBT can be AWOL and left out by Garner. It's one or the other surely.....

This bombing of players out of the 18 is becoming a bit of a feature of Garner"s tenure. He did the same with Kirk recently. I wonder if by trying to make a point to raise the standards he is actually cutting off his nose to spite his face. A flyer like CBT on for the last 10 mins yesterday could have brought us fresh impetus and 3 points, especially as by that point Rak-Sak was blowing out of his crack.
  • Options
    Closest effort first half was my dad’s attempt at the crossbar challenge!
    I’ll be honest I thought “fuck off let your son take it” (was it you? ) and it was a great attempt and he got a round of applause from me , deffo the highlight of the day , especially with some of the real shit attempts we’ve seen in the last year .
    thanks dad 👍
    Cheers oohaah, he couldn’t let me take it cos I’ve a brother who was also with us so we convinced the old man to have a go, he’s 66 this year so he was happy he got it off the floor!
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Closest effort first half was my dad’s attempt at the crossbar challenge!
    It was a pretty good attempt, a lot of people in the CE thought he was going to hit it.
    Was good to get on there when you’re on it it really is a carpet like.  
    Nice try….a lovely touch was the pic with your son and grandson….the memory will last a long time
    Lovely moment 👍🏻 
  • Options
    The football is shit 
    whats the fucking point 

And NO CHIPS on offer in Crossbars ! 

What do they really think kids want with their coke/lemonade before ko ? 

Hospitality is grossly overpriced & definitely not on the average fan's pre match agenda yet simple, popular fare at a reasonable price is cut from the Fans' Bar.

WTF !!
    Had them today in the east and TRUST ME them kids were saved the experience…💩
    Each to their own but I cannot understand how anybody buys the overpriced crap in the ground.There are two local supermarkets,and several kebab and chippie shops within 5-10 minutes all who do far superior products (not beer) for much less money,try the chip shop in the village,chips 2.50 and properly cooked .