Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

UEFA EURO 2024

Comments

• Options
    edited June 9
  • Options
    Can tell we have a stripey Nigel as a manager. 4 fkn Crystal Palace players picked. 

Part of me doesn't even want us to win to save myself having to read all the spunking their fan base will do over having so many representatives in the team. 

We are being massively overrated and probably won't win anyway. Italy, Holland, Spain and particularly, Germany all being overlooked, and if we match France we probably won't beat them. 

Team lacks the manager to get the job done and the leaders in the team. I look at Kane, Bellingham, Stones and maybe Walker. Beyond that I don't see us with enough experience to win a major tournament. Ironically he has decided not to bring a player who is a big part of one of the most successful sides in club football.
    3 of them probably won't even get a kick. Maybe they might if we've won the group and make changes for the 3rd game.
    It is obviously tongue in cheek that I don't want us to win, I'd see Eze score the winner with Wharton assisting if it meant we lifted the trophy, especially as I see them as QPR and Blackburn products, especially Wharton.

But 4 Palace players have no business being called up for England, 2 at most and even that's up for debate currently. If we didn't have a Palace manager, they wouldn't all be there.
    Henderson probably wouldn't be there if Pope was fit. There's not many other top flight English keepers to choose from.
    Guehi definitely deserves his place, but it's an area we're sorely lacking in.
    Eze is a 50-50 for me. He probably deserves his place based on his form not just recently but over the last two years in the Premier league. But if he'd been left out i don't think anyone would've complained.
    Wharton is a serious talent. If he continues on his current trajectory he's not going to be at Palace for very long. Strong chance that he'll be at one of the big 5 within a year or two.
  • Options
    Always nice to get a mention, let alone 2 -

• Options

Not exactly a typical injury!

Czech Republic midfielder Michal Sadilek has been forced to pull out of Euro 2024 after injuring his leg by falling off a bike.

Sadilek captained his nation in a recent friendly win over Malta and manager Ivan Hasek said losing the 25-year-old was a "big setback".

"Sadilek unfortunately fell while riding his bike and suffered a laceration in the leg," a Czech Republic spokesperson said in a statement on Sunday.

• Options
    It's extraordinary how many members of the 2021 squad have failed to make the 2024, whether due to injuries or form.

Off the starters in the final Maguire, Phillips, Sterling and Mount all miss out, while from the 5 subs who came on Sancho, Rashford, Henderson and Grealish all miss out. And of the rest, Calvert-Lewin, Mings, Coady, Johnstone and James miss out. 
    Too many imo. I’ve always supported Southgate’s selections but not this time.

We’ve discarded players with experience because they are not ’on form’. If the ’on form’ players were playing for their Champions League teams then they also would be playing less often and appear ’off form’. 

We lack some leaders who’ve been there before like Mcguire and Henderson. Even if they are not always in the team they can offer the a lot to the newbies in terms of know-how.

I’ll be surprised if we get further than the semi-finals with a bunch of mid-table big fish in small ponds.
  • Options
    It's extraordinary how many members of the 2021 squad have failed to make the 2024, whether due to injuries or form.

Off the starters in the final Maguire, Phillips, Sterling and Mount all miss out, while from the 5 subs who came on Sancho, Rashford, Henderson and Grealish all miss out. And of the rest, Calvert-Lewin, Mings, Coady, Johnstone and James miss out. 

We’ve discarded players with experience because they are not ’on form’. If the ’on form’ players were playing for their Champions League teams then they also would be playing less often and appear ’off form’. 

We lack some leaders who’ve been there before like Mcguire and Henderson. Even if they are not always in the team they can offer the a lot to the newbies in terms of know-how.

I’ll be surprised if we get further than the semi-finals with a bunch of mid-table big fish in small ponds.
    Isn't getting to the semi's a good performance and getting to the next stage a bit of luck of draw.

That said, I think we will bow out at the quarters.
  • Options
    edited June 9
    Funnily enough I mentioned this in a conversation on Friday. There isn’t real any international outside of the starting 11. Luke Shaw is the only one, but apart from him there isn’t any real experience. A lot to ask likes of Palmer, Bowen & Eze etc to influence a match if we are losing. 
  • Options

• Options
    Grealish left Villa to win trophies, which he's won a shedload of in 3 years.

He definitely didn't leave thinking 'i must make the Euro 2024 squad'.
  • Options
    Grealish left Villa to win trophies, which he's won a shedload of in 3 years.

He definitely didn't leave thinking 'i must make the Euro 2024 squad'.
    Think you're taking it a bit too literally mate, tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    France 0-0 Canada FT & Italy 1-0 Bosnia FT earlier today
  • Options
    Would’ve been France 0 - 1 Canada if ex Addick Liam Millard bending shot had been a touch lower and gone in instead of hitting the bar. Millar had a good game and caused some problems based on the highlights I saw. 
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Isn't getting to the semi's a good performance and getting to the next stage a bit of luck of draw.

That said, I think we will bow out at the quarters.
    No. Only winning the trophy is good enough. In my lifetime smaller nations like The Netherlands, Denmark, Greece and Portugal have done it. I’m sick of almost doing it.
  • Options
    Wouldn’t be the Euros without a dodgy footie song, here’s the latest.

https://x.com/ladbible/status/1800221561473110392?s=46&t=PRgt_6QdRFwhs17CYoSLqw
  • Options
    England v Serbia .. expect more of the same from the Iceland game, the Serbs are big tough and well organised. Our central defence will have to cope with Mitrovic, might be a good idea to match bruiser with bruiser and pick Dunk (controversial lol)
    Also the ITV team .. the increasingly doddery Souness and Keane doing the 'analysis' and Bonnie Wee (and useless) McCoist the co-commentary .. it's an ENGLAND game, how about some more ENGLISH pundits ?
  • Options
    England v Serbia .. expect more of the same from the Iceland game, the Serbs are big tough and well organised. Our central defence will have to cope with Mitrovic, might be a good idea to match bruiser with bruiser and pick Dunk (controversial lol)
    Also the ITV team .. the increasingly doddery Souness and Keane doing the 'analysis' and Bonnie Wee (and useless) McCoist the co-commentary .. it's an ENGLAND game, how about some more ENGLISH pundits ?
    Can't wait.
  • Options
    I agree with Dunk. Stones and Guehi both look better when playing alongside a more physical CB. Would be concerned starting those two leave us a bit weak in that regard. The friendly against Iceland basically gave Serbia a gameplan that works so hoping to see change in the midfield and defensive area in general.
  • Options
    edited June 11
    follett said:
    I agree with Dunk. Stones and Guehi both look better when playing alongside a more physical CB. Would be concerned starting those two leave us a bit weak in that regard. The friendly against Iceland basically gave Serbia a gameplan that works so hoping to see change in the midfield and defensive area in general.
    The centre back options are what they are but IMO midfield needs more defensive discipline as an urgent priority. 

Rice likes to carry the ball fairly high up the pitch so he needs someone who’s willing to cover him - atm that’s not Mainoo. One pass took both of our midfielders out of the game multiple times. I think you have to play either Gallagher or Bellingham in the double pivot with Rice to stop us from being so easy to break against.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    follett said:
    The centre back options are what they are but IMO midfield needs more defensive discipline as an urgent priority. 

Rice likes to carry the ball fairly high up the pitch so he needs someone who’s willing to cover him - atm that’s not Mainoo. One pass took both of our midfielders out of the game multiple times. I think you have to play either Gallagher or Bellingham in the double pivot with Rice to stop us from being so easy to break against.
    I think Bellingham is almost guaranteed that number 10 role, would be very surprised to see him in that double pivot. Gallagher definitely seems like the answer to shore it up defensively but the press all seem to think that it is Trent who will start there.
  • Options
    Is he actually available? He sat out the Iceland friendly although i'm not sure if that was just a precaution.
  • Options
    Iceland lost 4-0 to the Netherlands yesterday. 
  • Options
    Just seen England trained at Carl Zeiss Jena's stadium today - cheers Roland. 
  • Options
    Every year, there is a county cricket competition called The Taunton Festival for age groups U10 to U14. One particular lad in this photo from the Lancs U10 team of 2014 made one good decision - to give up cricket. And one bad one - to join the club he is currently at. But then we would say that wouldn't we!

May be an image of 11 people and text that says 1 ESCA Under 10 County Cricket Festival Kings College Taunton August 2014 Lancashire Critchley Coach John Williams Manager Morgan Davies Arav Shetty Joshua Boyden Adam Wharton Charlie Atkinson Basil Sultan John Hood Scorer Mast Critchley Coach Jack Stanley Will Potts Daniel Stock Euan EuanWilliams Matthew Hurst Captain Harry Singh Josh ittlc Spencer Allen
  • Options
    Presume that's not the Euan Williams who has just been released by us?
  • Options

Its difficult. The criticism of him at the last few tournaments has been that hes been too loyal to those in his circle, particularly the experienced/leaders and that he hasnt picked those on form.

Now he is picking those in form its "where are the leaders?"

He cant really win. 

FWIW I would have had Grealish and probably Maddison in there, but i dont think the squad is too far off what it should be.
  • Options
    Every year, there is a county cricket competition called The Taunton Festival for age groups U10 to U14. One particular lad in this photo from the Lancs U10 team of 2014 made one good decision - to give up cricket. And one bad one - to join the club he is currently at. But then we would say that wouldn't we!

May be an image of 11 people and text that says 1 ESCA Under 10 County Cricket Festival Kings College Taunton August 2014 Lancashire Critchley Coach John Williams Manager Morgan Davies Arav Shetty Joshua Boyden Adam Wharton Charlie Atkinson Basil Sultan John Hood Scorer Mast Critchley Coach Jack Stanley Will Potts Daniel Stock Euan EuanWilliams Matthew Hurst Captain Harry Singh Josh ittlc Spencer Allen
    Jonny Williams there too, back when he had hair
  • Options
    follett said:
    follett said:

I think Bellingham is almost guaranteed that number 10 role, would be very surprised to see him in that double pivot. Gallagher definitely seems like the answer to shore it up defensively but the press all seem to think that it is Trent who will start there.
    I was of this view until very recently. Why have your best player and then play him in a different position from where he usually plays which would likely make him less effective. but 2 things recently have changed my mind.

1) We are so weak in that number 8 role that it risks undermining all of our brilliant forward play if we are unable to run the game from midfield.
    2) have been reading about him at Real Madrid, they actually see 8 as his best role but played him further forward due to lack of a real striker. He tore it up at the start of the season but has been less effective there 2nd half. Long term they and many in the game see him dropping further back again. I tend to agree on that front.

So now I am tempted to play him as the 8 in midfield. It allows us to get Foden centrally and to play an extra one of our brilliant forward players. Saka, Foden and Palmer behind Kane would be great. Does scream out for Grealish off the bench tho!
  • Options
    follett said:
    follett said:

I was of this view until very recently. Why have your best player and then play him in a different position from where he usually plays which would likely make him less effective. but 2 things recently have changed my mind.

1) We are so weak in that number 8 role that it risks undermining all of our brilliant forward play if we are unable to run the game from midfield.
    2) have been reading about him at Real Madrid, they actually see 8 as his best role but played him further forward due to lack of a real striker. He tore it up at the start of the season but has been less effective there 2nd half. Long term they and many in the game see him dropping further back again. I tend to agree on that front.

So now I am tempted to play him as the 8 in midfield. It allows us to get Foden centrally and to play an extra one of our brilliant forward players. Saka, Foden and Palmer behind Kane would be great. Does scream out for Grealish off the bench tho!
    The only issue with that is that the forwards all kind of clash in their positions. Palmer is at his best on the right but can play central. Saka solely plays on the right and Foden can play left but is better central. 

I'd be very surprised if Southgate plays Jude deep. As much as I think Palmer deserves to start I can't see Gareth doing anything other than a Foden Bellingham Saka lineup.